IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Will Cocos nucifera (Coconut) grow in Sydney, Australia?

CoconutFreak

Here's the link to info about Port Elizabeth in SA. Scroll down to the weather info. It's lowest winter average max is the magic 20C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Elizabeth

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I wonder if this coconut is the farthest growing one in Australia? Lat- 31'38.05.56S 152'49.47.86E

Its in Ocean st North Haven about 30min from Port.

Mike

post-250-12681960458728_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I wonder if this coconut is the farthest growing one in Australia? Lat- 31'38.05.56S 152'49.47.86E

Mike

How did you find that Mike?

I'm 31 degree 57 minutes south, so mine is further south than that one.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone, Thank you for the link to the Port Elizabeth, SA climate information. This seems to confirm your theory of average Maximum temperature in Winter approximating 70 F. or 20 C.It does make sense as Coconuts are definitely Tropical in nature although being grown more and more in Pan-Tropical areas.

What you look for is what is looking

Mike

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone

I should of said the most furthest south on the east coast of Australia, there is actually two the other one which isnt in view on Google but is close to the same size.

I knew the lady that grew one of these and she said that its about 15 years old, its planted in sand, well North Haven is build on pretty much only sand.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Mike

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone

I should of said the most furthest south on the east coast of Australia, there is actually two the other one which isnt in view on Google but is close to the same size.

I knew the lady that grew one of these and she said that its about 15 years old, its planted in sand, well North Haven is build on pretty much only sand.

Mike

I suppose mine isn't really the calibre of the one you pictured so maybe I'm being a little presumptuous saying mine classifies as a more southerly growing one. It may die this winter as I have to uncover it just a bit more because it's almost too big to cover. There is a trunking one in Dianella about 10km north from me about 15km inland again in full sandy soil, so maybe that one is the most southerly Aussie specimen.

Some interesting facts I've been pondering lately about the coconut, especially as it relates to my hort studies at the moment. Coconuts seem to prefer sand. Sand has the nutrient holding capacity of crushed glass, zip, nothing. Technically its Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC), ability to hold onto nutrients is pretty much zero, due to the lack of colloids in the soil (clay or humus) which catch nutrients such as Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, etc and hold it until roots intercept it and take it up. For such a large hungry plant as a coconut, what do they eat on beach sand in the wild. Being a palm that loves the area just above high tide, what weird root behaviour are they exhibiting that supports all of that luxuriant growth.

Another thing is they are totally resistant to salt water intrusions from the ocean. In the case of a cyclone/hurricane/typhoon even young plants may be literally swimming in salt water due to the tidal surge which can be several metres in huge events. Normal plant roots go through a process called reverse osmosis when they are subjected to salt water of even small proportions. This is the effective reversal of the Xylem flow in the tissue so roots will work in reverse and drain the plant of moisture. The plant will have burnt tips and is literally starving for water even though it may be sitting in water. In most plants sea water would kill the plant. A similar things happens when you over fertilise with fast release fertiliser. But not a coconut. I wonder what mechanism stops it going into reverse osmosis when the tide comes in too far. It may also explain why I can give my coconut tonnes of fert and it just laps it up, but I wouldn't dare give the same amount to my Kentia as it would burn like crazy. Also Coconut orchard growers in the Phillipines noted that inland grown coconuts produced a considerably smaller crop than coastal ones. Applying a bit of sea salt to the inland ones actually increased yields to that of the coastal ones. Normal horticulture theory says that's impossible.

Coconuts are not a normal plant or a normal palm in my estimations. They tend to break a few rules IMO.

I love them, and I hope mine doesn't die this winter. It's come to that time of year when I'll have to decide on how I'm going to engineer it's protection for this winter, so that by the 4th week of May it's installed and my coconut is snug for the winter. I couldn't bare to lose it actually. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Wow Tyrone :mrlooney: that was a thorough explanation of how to grow coconut in Sydney's climate. Also Daryl's input. I am impressed that nucifera can do OK at 34 latitude. The data Jim provided encourages me to consider a coconut but I think it would look like vietchia [ugly half the year :lol: In the favored micro-climates in LA, winter maximum may support the most magnificent palm.

Sydney

January: 26\ 19.1

February: 26.2\ 19.2

March: 25.2\ 17.7

April: 23.2\ 15.2

May: 20.2\ 12

June: 17.5\ 9.6

July: 17.1\ 8.3

August: 18.2\ 9.3

September: 20.3\ 11.5

October: 22.2\ 14.1

November: 23.7\ 16

December: 25.5\ 18.1

Inland Los Angeles

January: 20.5\ 10

February: 21.1\ 10.5

March: 22.2\ 11.6

April: 25\ 13.8

May: 25.5\ 14.4

June: 28.3\ 17.7

July: 31.1\ 18.3

August: 31.6\ 18.8

September: 30.5\ 18.8

October: 28.3\ 17.2

November: 23.3\ 12.2

December: 21.1\ 10

Rain falls between November to March w/ yearly total near 45.7.

Happ, if they're your weather figures I'd be trying a coconut for sure. They're warmer winter figures than my place, but the rest of the year looks similar. You get lower winter rainfall which is an advantage for you as well.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Above the LA basin is a south-facing half circle of foothills from Malibu to Montebello. No frost in 2007 & little if any in 1990 make it essentially USDA 11. But to my knowledge coconuts have not done well. Most winters aren't very rainy but strong dry winds & many nights between 4.4C-10C yellow & spot sensitive palms [wodyetia, ptychosperma, vietchia]. I'm afraid nucifera wouldn't look very healthy most of the time :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wow Tyrone :mrlooney: that was a thorough explanation of how to grow coconut in Sydney's climate. Also Daryl's input. I am impressed that nucifera can do OK at 34 latitude. The data Jim provided encourages me to consider a coconut but I think it would look like vietchia [ugly half the year :lol: In the favored micro-climates in LA, winter maximum may support the most magnificent palm.

Sydney

January: 26\ 19.1

February: 26.2\ 19.2

March: 25.2\ 17.7

April: 23.2\ 15.2

May: 20.2\ 12

June: 17.5\ 9.6

July: 17.1\ 8.3

August: 18.2\ 9.3

September: 20.3\ 11.5

October: 22.2\ 14.1

November: 23.7\ 16

December: 25.5\ 18.1

Inland Los Angeles

January: 20.5\ 10

February: 21.1\ 10.5

March: 22.2\ 11.6

April: 25\ 13.8

May: 25.5\ 14.4

June: 28.3\ 17.7

July: 31.1\ 18.3

August: 31.6\ 18.8

September: 30.5\ 18.8

October: 28.3\ 17.2

November: 23.3\ 12.2

December: 21.1\ 10

Rain falls between November to March w/ yearly total near 45.7.

Happ, if they're your weather figures I'd be trying a coconut for sure. They're warmer winter figures than my place, but the rest of the year looks similar. You get lower winter rainfall which is an advantage for you as well.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Above the LA basin is a south-facing half circle of foothills from Malibu to Montebello. No frost in 2007 & little if any in 1990 make it essentially USDA 11. But to my knowledge coconuts have not done well. Most winters aren't very rainy but strong dry winds & many nights between 4.4C-10C yellow & spot sensitive palms [wodyetia, ptychosperma, vietchia]. I'm afraid nucifera wouldn't look very healthy most of the time :(

They must be cold dry catabatic (mountain) winds that are the issue for you then. Here the winter winds are moist, coming off the ocean.

Best regards

Tyrone

I really think Happ should try a coconut too! That's like the best microclimate southern california can offer! I would try sooo many more species too though, like Areca, Johansteijsmannia, Licuala, Kerriodoxa, Actinorhytis, Hydriastele, etc etc but I'm very much a zone pusher.

I'm always up for learning new things!

I really think Happ should try a coconut too! That's like the best microclimate southern california can offer! I would try sooo many more species too though, like Areca, Johansteijsmannia, Licuala, Kerriodoxa, Actinorhytis, Hydriastele, etc etc but I'm very much a zone pusher.

Hey Kyle, it seems that this discussion surfaces every few years :lol: I actually was surprised that areca catechu handled winter so well but managed to kill the palm during transplant. I am also reminded that Sydney is much more humid than SoCal. Heavy watering & wind protection are vital in LA. I know there are cocos out there but haven't seen any photos in quite a while other than the Newport beach palm.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I say go for it happ! You've got nothing to lose. I think you should try with a Pacific tall from Hawaii, as they seem to handle the cool better than other varieties. The Newport coco is a Pacific tall from Hawaii.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 1 year later...

Here's one even further south than North Haven; it's at Green Point near Forster:

Cocos nucifera - Coconut Palm (Green Point, Mid North Coast Near Forster, NSW - 32 Degrees South)

• Upvote 2

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Here's one even further south than North Haven; it's at Green Point near Forster:

http://www.flickr.co...ges/3674051771/

That one is about 20km south of my latitude so it may very well be the most southerly growing coconut in Australia.

Happ, humidiity is not a big requirement for Cocos nucifera, of course it will look better with it. If you grew an A catechu then I think you should try a coconut in a suitable microclimate.

Best regards

Tyrone

• 1 year later...

The one at KFC is impossible to see on Google view; it must be on a wall not facing the street. How is your coconut going, Tyrone?

This topic comes up in a fruit tree forum I am on often . Especially now that coconut water is becoming trendy .

They may grow , but gee it would be a long wait for nuts .... if ever .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 5 years later...
On 9 March 2010 11:47:10 am, CoconutFreak said:

I was wondering if Cocos nucifera (Coconut) would grow in Sydney, Australia. I live there, and we have a warm temperate climate (Or some people say Humid Subtropical). Usually humid, winters are mildly cool with the coldest temperature ever recorded in the City center being 2 degrees celcius ABOVE freezing (0c). Summers can be very hot with temperatures in the 30s (Celcius) and a record high of about 45 degrees celcius. Usally frost free. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Coconut palm growing in the Sydney Botanical Gardens as of January 2018

Sydney coconut palm.jpg

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, James West said:

Coconut palm growing in the Sydney Botanical Gardens as of January 2018

Sydney coconut palm.jpg

They look a little weak for the middle of summer...  Especially that one in back.

It depends on a number of things. I live in Coffs Harbour 530km north of Sydney and I have coconut trees growing quite happily. I live in a frost free area (I also grow bananas, pineapples and mangoes), my site slopes facing north and I built a solar heat store out of retaining wall blocks behind the young trees for the first few years to store the warmth for winter nights. I have Malay coconut palms that I bought from Daley's Nursery in Kyogle NSW which are a variety better suited to milder temperatures. I have tried others I bought at random in Queensland and they did not survive the winter. If you live in an area of Sydney that gets any frost, that's most of it more than 2km from the coast, I doubt if they will survive; otherwise, if you choose a well sheltered sun trap site, its worth a go. Feed them on a bit of liquid seaweed, it makes them feel at home!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9 March 2010 11:47:10 am, CoconutFreak said:

I was wondering if Cocos nucifera (Coconut) would grow in Sydney, Australia. I live there, and we have a warm temperate climate (Or some people say Humid Subtropical). Usually humid, winters are mildly cool with the coldest temperature ever recorded in the City center being 2 degrees celcius ABOVE freezing (0c). Summers can be very hot with temperatures in the 30s (Celcius) and a record high of about 45 degrees celcius. Usally frost free. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

OK. I don't want to bore anybody with this. A coconut palm was transplanted into the Sydney Botanical Gardens in May 2017 - just in time for winter. The coldest part of our winter last year was early June. It was all but dead at the beginning of October 2017 [I have the pics]. It survived and has grown 3 new leaves. The accompanying photos are from mid-January this year[ 2018]:

Cocos2.jpg

Coco1.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

This is my coconut growing in Perth, it has been growing here for 5 years now. It has been protected over the winters with a cheap eBay greenhouse, I also placed 4 black plastic rubbish bins around the base inside the greenhouse which I filled with water to act as a heat trap which seemed to work reasonably well. It was less protected last winter due to its size, it looked a bit shabby by the end of winter but quickly bounced back during spring. It’ll be a lot less protected during the coming winter so that will be the real test but it has begun to develop a trunk so I have a fair degree of optimism that it will survive. I think with a bit of effort you could get one to grow in Sydney, depends how keen you are but if you’re like me and want one you find a way. Good luck mate! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 6

• 3 months later...

Updated Sydney palms. Mid winter 2018. I’d say one is looking ok (for Sydney) the other May not last. If one could even survive would be great. Have had the coldest weekend this winter (down to 5-6c) but days aren’t too cold. A few days in low 20s next week so fingers crossed. 

Some great pandanus palms behind these too. Not in photos. 

407FCBA8-2D38-4134-A4FC-364AE2C7DB22.jpeg

63341DB4-7E14-4783-A800-4A414290A23F.jpeg