IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pole Saw vs. Chainsaw on a stick

JimR

Several of my Washingtonias have now gotten tall enough that the only way for me (and I am 6'5") to prune the dead fronds is teeter on the top of a long ladder. I am considering investing in either an extendable pole saw (the ARS product that goes to 20 ft.) or one of the electric chainsaw-on-a-stick things. The longest of the latter I can find is about 12 ft. Oddly enough, the pole saw is more expensive than the chainsaw. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

Jim, i have the ARS pole saw, yes very expensive, but i prefer it to the chain saw/pole saw.....height is better, and only one moving part....me!

The extension chain saw has little control, is heavier and tiresome if used for extended periods and requires too much maintenance.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Jim, i have the ARS pole saw, yes very expensive, but i prefer it to the chain saw/pole saw.....height is better, and only one moving part....me!

The extension chain saw has little control, is heavier and tiresome if used for extended periods and requires too much maintenance.

Rusty

Agree with Rusty's points. Would add that a pole saw cuts through a green petiole pretty nicely, but for me the chain saw works much quicker and takes less effort if the petiole is dead and dry.

gmp

I prefer a chainsaw on a stick.

But then again, I also prefer washies with dead leaves on the trunk. :)

Ah William, I always leave my Washys alone..personal preference of course, but i love the natural look of the skirt myself...and i always prefer NO work over work any day!!!!!! :lol:

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

How does the city trim them when they get to 100 ft?

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

We find that high winds - and we've had a lot of them this winter - will trim the skirt, boots, dead infructescences and any other Washy debris. Sometimes we get 8-12 dead leaves come down in a day when the NW winds are blowing. That annoys the 6 young Chambeyronias which find themselves in range of all that dead stuff. Fortunately, it is dried out and not all that heavy.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I LOVE my chainsaw-on-a-stick. (Sounds like something you'd eat at the county fair . . . .:) )

It IS a pain in the rear to control, because the saw is on the end of the pole. It's especially hazardous if you have a doofus working with you who likes to pop up like a jack-in-box in time for you to let the saw down onto his scalp . . . . :winkie::blink: And it lacks the balance of the extender saws. On the other hand, you can take that chain saw off the stick, put on your leather hockey mask and do some serious chain-sawing on other things. It's small enough to handle one-handed, which I appreciate, especially when I get into a Leatherface kind of mood.

On the OTHER hand, for you, I'd recommend the other kind of saw, because it's much longer, and, with time, you will appreciate the extra height.

One final thing: electric saws are much easier to work with, but they lack the power that gas models have. I like 'lectrics because all you have to do is oil 'em up and plug 'em in. None of that pain in the ass nonsense with mixing gas and oil, and chain lashback. If you're going to be cutting up really big trees, or lots of hard dead wood, gas will be better. I've burned out two large electric chain saws. :(

Let us know what you get, and tell us about it. We appreciate the information.

If you have any further questions, ask away.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We find that high winds - and we've had a lot of them this winter - will trim the skirt, boots, dead infructescences and any other Washy debris. Sometimes we get 8-12 dead leaves come down in a day when the NW winds are blowing. That annoys the 6 young Chambeyronias which find themselves in range of all that dead stuff. Fortunately, it is dried out and not all that heavy.

Hmm. DOn't 'canes sometimes trim entire trees, or even neighborhoods full of trees? :lol:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How does the city trim them when they get to 100 ft?

With a very VERY tall cherry picker, or, sometimes, suicidal acrobats . . . .

pole the chain is hevy and when im up 20 ft on my ladder i like the pole so i can hang on to the ladder with 1 hand and cut with the other even though the chain cuts much easier and quicker i use the pole

Thanks everyone. I should probably add I only trim the completely dead and brown fronds from my Washies. No green petioles are liable to go under the blade.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

Washies are the Taz Devil of palms, no need to worry. Just cut and they'll just laugh. As only a washie can . . .. :winkie:

My company goes with the extendable pole trimmer saw blade. I just cannot deal with all that extra heft any more (that the gas-powered pole chain saw features.) They work equally well, however, I feel. So your choice won't be a right or a wrong choice.

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Hai some useful video links ! :winkie:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

By the way i use a Hitachi A/c powered chainsaw 220-240Volts/50Hz.This product is made in japan.And works like a charm makes very little noise,no pollution or smoke of anykind.Only down side is it runs on a fixed RPM(very high) and needs extension cords if the branch is too hight to reach.And the long pole chainsaws & cutters are not avaliable here in my country.So i had to settle for the hitachi powered saw. :huh: And except cleaning the chain & pouring little lub oil to the gear,there is no maintanence needed in this case.

And here are the visuals of that hitachi chainsaw..

post-108-12680291606294_thumb.jpg

post-108-12680291960749_thumb.jpg

If you do not like to wake up your neighbours while cutting trees,then A/c powered light weight saws are ideal..:rolleyes:

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I am thinking about picking up this bad boy:

Hayauchi Pole Saw

YOW! Expensive!

But probably worth it.

Still, I'd try one out first. Those pole manual saws are a pain, even nice ones, because it's hard to control them. On the other hand, they should work well for palms, since the leaves aren't that large, and you'll avoid making cuts where you don't want, which can happen with a power pole saw . . . . :rage:

Hayauchi Pole Saw

YOW! Expensive!

But probably worth it.

Still, I'd try one out first. Those pole manual saws are a pain, even nice ones, because it's hard to control them. On the other hand, they should work well for palms, since the leaves aren't that large, and you'll avoid making cuts where you don't want, which can happen with a power pole saw . . . . :rage:

Hey Dave,

My buddy Mike has it and loves it...

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Hayauchi Pole Saw

YOW! Expensive!

But probably worth it.

Hey Dave,

My buddy Mike has it and loves it...

Joe

If you get really desperate for entertainment, come on up for a visit, and I'll show you my chainsaw on a stick. For all its limitations, it's been a very very useful tool for me. At $99, not a bad deal.

I am thinking about picking up this bad boy: Hayauchi Pole Saw

I've lusted after that pole saw... I've got 4 of their hand saws - 2 folding and 2 pruning. You won't regret buying a Silky, they're the best.

And that $229 price tag is just the MSRP, Forestry Suppliers (one of Silky's listed distributors) is selling it for $45 less.