IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Farthest North Roystonia Regia

BigBpalms

Hi,

There are some in Ibiza island, Spain, at 38°52'43,05" N, 1°22'22,44" E.

Sorry no photo!

salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

In Florida, the furthest north royal palms that survived the big 12/89 freeze are on Merritt Island and St. Petersburg. Since then royals have been replanted and growing in south Daytona Beach and Orlando.

Eric-

I think a couple of them survived in a little town called Crystal Beach, FL (just north of Palm Harbor and south of Tarpon Springs). I spotted these craggy old things about 5 years ago and they look to have been in the ground a long time, with some pretty good battle scars in the trunk!

St. Pete has many many old Royals and this seems to be, as you noted, the northernmost area on the westcoast of FL where there was widespread survival.

I have to agree with you about those in Saint Pete. Especially along the bay front in the old north east and sunken gardens area all the way up to Gandy Blvd. The ones at the sunken gardens are 110 years old. They still look good but sadly they are at their end of their life span. They already lost a few because of age. Also you will see very old royals in the historical old north east area near the sunken gardens peaking thru live and laurel oaks. Its a amazing site to see. There are many not just one or two. All of them look pretty healthy with large crowns. Perfect spot for them with a high water table and a warmer microclimate from the bay. I am from east coast of florida. In my opinion those are the best looking ones furthest north in florida period. East Coast, Inland and West Coast you name it. I am comparing those with ones north of Stuart and they pretty good competion with them as well. Sorry central Florida east coast. Show me some pictures and proof me wrong or come over and see for yourself. You will be amazed like me.

You are right about the Sunken Gardens area! That place is very very cool! I agree with you on the appearance of the Royals and other palms/plants there.

The Old Northeast is also one of my favorite areas. Not only lots of very old palms, but the houses are of a period long gone in Florida.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

In Florida, the furthest north royal palms that survived the big 12/89 freeze are on Merritt Island and St. Petersburg. Since then royals have been replanted and growing in south Daytona Beach and Orlando.

Eric-

I think a couple of them survived in a little town called Crystal Beach, FL (just north of Palm Harbor and south of Tarpon Springs). I spotted these craggy old things about 5 years ago and they look to have been in the ground a long time, with some pretty good battle scars in the trunk!

St. Pete has many many old Royals and this seems to be, as you noted, the northernmost area on the westcoast of FL where there was widespread survival.

I have to agree with you about those in Saint Pete. Especially along the bay front in the old north east and sunken gardens area all the way up to Gandy Blvd. The ones at the sunken gardens are 110 years old. They still look good but sadly they are at their end of their life span. They already lost a few because of age. Also you will see very old royals in the historical old north east area near the sunken gardens peaking thru live and laurel oaks. Its a amazing site to see. There are many not just one or two. All of them look pretty healthy with large crowns. Perfect spot for them with a high water table and a warmer microclimate from the bay. I am from east coast of florida. In my opinion those are the best looking ones furthest north in florida period. East Coast, Inland and West Coast you name it. I am comparing those with ones north of Stuart and they pretty good competion with them as well. Sorry central Florida east coast. Show me some pictures and proof me wrong or come over and see for yourself. You will be amazed like me.

You are right about the Sunken Gardens area! That place is very very cool! I agree with you on the appearance of the Royals and other palms/plants there.

The Old Northeast is also one of my favorite areas. Not only lots of very old palms, but the houses are of a period long gone in Florida.

Its little bit in the cut. I dont think many know about it. Just locals and few residents in Pinellas like yourself. First time I went there I was like wow. Coble stone roads and old mansions and homes with alot of tropicals, palms and live oaks. Very charming place. I am not in Tampa anymore. I am in South Korea now. When I was in Tampa I used to visit Kopsick Palm Arboretum in Saint Pete all the time when I didnt have anything to do. Downtown and Old North East are one of my favorite areas too. When you see those old palms in the Old North East area you just want to start planting more palms in your yard. Thats my problem. I am a Palmaholic. Another place I discovered Royal palms was in Cairo,Egypt. They are everywhere there along with Banyan trees. Especially near the Nile River. I was saying wow there too. One day when I go back to Florida I will take photos to share with everybody.

I have to correct myself on my last post. The Sunken Gardens has some Royal Palms thats are 110 years old but not all of them are that age.

If I remember correctly probably little over 20 are that age. It will be a sad day when those go. I dont think the gardens will be the same after that.

At N34 I am certainly not very far north for Cuban Royal but maybe far enough to effect the growth characteristics. Someone in California commented a while back that roystonia regia tend to have a fatter trunk than what is commonly found in Florida. I don't see a lot of royals in metro Los Angeles but those I do come across seem relatively happy.

This is a fast grower for me and now my tallest palm tree aside from my washingtonia.

royal4-25-10004.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Hi,

There are some in Ibiza island, Spain, at 38°52'43,05" N, 1°22'22,44" E.

Sorry no photo!

salut.

gilles do you know how old or how tall those roystoneas are ?

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

Hi Greekpalms,

The palms are at least 5m tall, you can have a look at google earth but the picture isn't very good.

Salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 1 year later...

There is one growing in Flagler Beach Florida, approximately 20 miles north of Daytona Beach. It has approx. 20-25 feet of trunk. I don't know how long it's been there but I estimate its been there for at least 7 or 8 years. I will post a picture of it later. It's located on the barrier island. There were two other ones I saw on the mainland approx. 2 miles from the beach between Flagler Beach and Ormond Beach. They both had approx. 30 ft of trunk but the 2009 and 2010 winters either killed them both or they looked so bad the owners had them pulled out and replaced with a Phoenix canariensis.