IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Winter in South Florida?

bubba

has anyone noticed how tender palms like christmas look on major roads and parking lots, i saw two crhristmas palms with only some brown at the mcdonalds parking lot on malabar road, but anyway i just give up maybe your right, i should just forget about cocos or royals and only plant whats "right" for my area like washingtonia or sable :indifferent: zzzzzzzzzz. even though there are still some that dont look bad even in this winter but i guess noone but me can see that. we live in FLORIDAAAAA so why should we be so limited to what we can grow, it gets too hot, it gets too cold, im so tired of the complaining, we cant grow peaches yet no mangos either, even though ive had the best mangos ive ever tasted from a tree here in brevard county, not columbia, you ever heard of merritt island mangos???? and why would i be living in a fantasy land when i just mentioned that the yard only has a queen palm and two oaks, i would have just lied and said thers seven 60 ft coconut palms, so im not living in any fantasy land other than my beutifull florida.

If you put as much effort into your grammar and spelling, you might be more compelling. Just an observation. :winkie:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

If you put as much effort into your grammar and spelling, you might be more compelling. Just an observation.
yeah im trying to type fast lol, but yeah i didnt realize how much spelling mistakes i made, everyone im not trying to be mean or anything, okay so don't take it that way, please and im not stupid so please stop making me feel like that :rolleyes::lol: its funny but please. and gsn i just dont think that you sould give up on less hardy palms, it all depends on microclimates theres probably a dozen of them in everyones yard. oh sorry is that wording smart enough :rolleyes: Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!

The sensitivity of crownshafted palms was mentioned a few posts back. A couple of dypsis that might be good for Brevard are the D. fineleaf, which I believe have survived up there, and the D. ambositrae. I'm thinking of ambo especially since I'm looking right at one.

I was reading about their culture in PACSOA, and came across this - which might be of interest:

Prefers a sunny, well-drained position. Central Madagascar can be quite a hostile environment, getting down to freezing in winter, and being very hot and dry in summer, so presumably this would quite a hardy plant in cultivation.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

but brevard is also differant than the west coast we have the gulf stream witch warms us up in winter, of course not really this year though :rage: and climate zones extend up the east more than the west,

By the time you get to Brevard, the Gulfstream has wandered well offshore. In a considerable winter (like this one), it will not be your saving grace. The urbanization of my area has warmed winter temperatures over the last 20 years (equivalent to a weak gulfstream influence in my opinion) but that influence was decimated this year by severe arctic high pressure. I've lived here all of my life and will tell you that it can get much worse than what we saw this year. By June, my garden will still have the scars brought about in January's cold spell. It will take a considerable amount of money and no freezes for the next two years for my garden to regain its December 2009 form. I worked my %#&$ off to protect the garden so don't tell me its current condition is my fault. Next time, you provide me with a crystal ball forecast.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

okay okay im gonna argue with anyone, have you ever been to brevard, if you have then you would see the clear effect of the gulf stream, i suppose i live in the arctic now huh, with coconut palms of course. lol :lol: and everyone complaining about the weather is not going to help anything, it just makes everyone else feel bad.

Edited by floridasun

Yesterday I was able to spend a full day catching up on all the yard work: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. minus lunch. Got a lot done but had tons to do. I was actually able to set aside my denim jacket by 2:30 - Ye-ha for short sleeves. And I'm posting Sunday's editorial cartoon in case somebody hasn't noticed this exceptionally bad winter.

post-1349-12680593828948_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

cold weather or not florida is still beautiful, and at least we didnt have blizzards like up north, btw thanks for the seeds again. :D next winter has to be better. and summer is just around the corner.

Yesterday I was able to spend a full day catching up on all the yard work: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. minus lunch. Got a lot done but had tons to do. I was actually able to set aside my denim jacket by 2:30 - Ye-ha for short sleeves. And I'm posting Sunday's editorial cartoon in case somebody hasn't noticed this exceptionally bad winter.

LOL - so true!

I hope you didn't have too many losses. I can't work in the garden yet and not for quite awhile, but my husband did some "clean-up" chores, a/k/a tossing out things that didn't make it. We're aghast at some of the losses. Low temps weren't the culprit, as they would have been if this were the 80's. But the frost combined with the unrelenting chill took a bad toll. It's very upsetting coming home to this mess after the beauty of south FL.

I never liked the layout of the plantings, and now that winter has killed most of it, I'm thinking of it as a clean slate. Can't wait to get out there and change it all around.

just trying to find something - anything - positive in this ugliness.

there's not much.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

LOL - so true!

I hope you didn't have too many losses. I can't work in the garden yet and not for quite awhile, but my husband did some "clean-up" chores, a/k/a tossing out things that didn't make it. We're aghast at some of the losses. Low temps weren't the culprit, as they would have been if this were the 80's. But the frost combined with the unrelenting chill took a bad toll. It's very upsetting coming home to this mess after the beauty of south FL.

I never liked the layout of the plantings, and now that winter has killed most of it, I'm thinking of it as a clean slate. Can't wait to get out there and change it all around.

just trying to find something - anything - positive in this ugliness.

there's not much.

The chance for a new beginning is always positive.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Meg- LOVED the cartoon! How true. My 19yo niece is in Ft Laud for spring break (since last Fri) and she told my mom it is "not bad" and sunny..Only someone from NJ could think it was not bad. It did hit..................70F................Mon and today here. Never made it for the weekend due to the Gulf breezes. I said about two weeks ago how the Gulf would slow up our warming, and it has! Orlando has been 5-10F warmer during the days...Now, its time for spring planting and it will actually be spring! Not winter like usual. LOL Greg :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I think this is how Floridians (and other easterners) felt going from January to February this year:

(Caution, profanity)

Brevard County, Fl

It hit 80F......yes 80F.....today. Forget the media, JUST ALERT! Can it all be in the past? Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast