IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold damage in North Brevard

Jimbean

I have different accounts to exactly how cold it got here. It seems that the temperature dropped to around 23F to 24F in Port St. John. I am sure GSN could add to this if he wishes to. Note: this cold damage is very unusual for the area; Port St. John is roughly the equivalent to either Sarasota or Ruskin for those of you on the west coast of Florida.

Pseudophoenix sargentii:

IMG_0001-2.jpg

Ravenea rivularis:

IMG_0004-2.jpg

Ficus aurea (defoliated):

IMG_0002-2.jpg

Ficus benjamina (defoliated):

IMG_0013-1.jpg

Brevard County, Fl

I would like to note that there were many more pictures that I would have liked to have taken, but hardly no one was home at the time an I did not want to take a picture of their property without their permission. However I will testify that the queen palms were any where from 20% to 100% defoliated, other royals 100% defoliated, coconuts 100% defoliated, foxtails 100% defoliated, and Bismarks 10% to 30% defoliated.

There was a surprise, that is my Thrinax morrissii went through this unscathed:

IMG_0008-2.jpg

I also had two Thrinax radiata nearby, one (not shown) is dead, here is the other:

IMG_0010-2.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

you can see that the bud is damaged, but the rest of it looks good. These palms were all growing underneath a slash pine, so they did have some protection.

Brevard County, Fl

i cant beleive the brazilian pepper, its so weird how smaller ones right under larger ones are brown, but the bigger ones are still green. theres a large coconut down the street that has a little green in the middle, i cant wait untill summer to see how many things surprise us and come back, in sebastian on riverfront drive theres a cocos that someone cut the top off and a new shoot came right out of the trunk. so if they can survive that than they will probably live through this.

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!

The palms there sure took quite a blow . Looks like it was below 25 degrees to me . Did you get any snow or sleet? Cheers to spring.

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

The palms there sure took quite a blow . Looks like it was below 25 degrees to me . Did you get any snow or sleet? Cheers to spring.

Yes, there was persistent sleet for hours there (unprecedented). Here were the worse temperatures: 23, 26, 27, 29, 28, 29, and many more nights in the low 30's. Port St. John was a cold hole this year.

I also saw Senegal date palms with 20% damage in that area.

Brevard County, Fl

my royal poinciana (though just a baby) died back to the ground but is resprouting. i notice alot of foxtails in parking lots dont look that bad, the concrete held alot of heat. and same here in palm bay.

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!