IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

Reached to 22C here today with a humidity fall a bit below the 30% later today, dry and dusty. Tomorrow would be the same after a nice mild night :)

Robbin

Southwest

Got to 27C today. The nights have been cold around 10C. With no rain around and the sun going a long way north the nights are a bit cold. I put the heater on for the first time this year tonight.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It seems like summer will never end- just about all of April seems to have been in the 25c-30c range. Today was a bit cooler- 23c, and some light snowfalls on the Snowies.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Here's the forecast here. The rain forecast for the last few days never happened, but we did have nearly 100% last night with water condensing everywhere.

Forecast for Monday

Some morning cloud clearing to a sunny day. Light to moderate S/SE winds tending

E'ly in the evening.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Max 24

Mandurah: Max 23

UV Alert: 10:10 am to 2:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: LOW-MODERATE

Tuesday Sunny. Min 10 Max 26

Wednesday Mostly sunny. Min 12 Max 28

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 24

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 24

Saturday Cloudy periods. Min 12 Max 22

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 23

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Our weather's become a bit unstable over the past few days. There's rain around but in the form of small scattered storms. Middle Point got 17 mm yesterday. Ngukurr (to the south east) got 36 mm. Of course, Noonamah got nothing. Not unusual for these scattered storms. There's something about our topography that deflects rain. We get the cloud, get the wind, get the lightning and get the humidity. But we don't get the rain.

Temperatures are generally around 35C, sometimes a touch over. Minimums down to around 23C or a touch under. UV index has gone down to 11. The forecast is for the storms to continue into Thursday. I'd agree that it's still going to be around for a few days. A high pressure is planting itself over the centre of the continent. But some humidity has been injected into the atmosphere, I suspect from the outer bands of ex-Sean.

Hey... coming home from camping and 5mm in the gauge!! Not bad for dry season :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another cool night of around 9.2C due to clear skies and a high of 1028hPa sitting directly overhead. Should be a beautiful warm day to 27C or a bit more.

I found this link to a CSIRO state of the climate report for Oz.

http://www.bom.gov.au/inside/eiab/State-of-climate-2010-updated.pdf

It seems to make sense, and they described the current climate in SW Oz very accurately. It looks like the high rainfall winters of the past are gone, autumns will be very dry periods and we'll keep warming up across the board. Good news for my coconut which may be a long term survivor here with this warming trend. So far it's trunking so maybe I can get it to flower. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Monday morning it got down to a low of 2.5 c on my Oregon Scientific sensor ! :blink:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

That is cool Troy, but probably not too rare in Tassie only a month out from winter. Boy I'll be happy when we're on the other side of winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

It was around this time in 2006 that the most severe tropical cyclone recorded at landfall in Australia (the second most severe recorded on the planet) finished its run across the Top End of the Northern Territory. Tropical Cyclone Monica was pushing winds to 360 kph when it crossed the coast at Junction Bay, on the north Arnhem Land coast.

Monica only just made it still within the wet season. It was considered finally over on 27th April 2006, just 3 days before 30th April, the official end of the wet season. My rainfall for the whole of April 2006 was 673 mm. The month had been quite wet already before Monica came along. This year is going to be much lower, unless something incredible happens in the next three days. But mind you, despite all my whinging about lack of rain, this April is already above average for rainfall. I won't be home til tomorrow night to see how my tally is going. At the moment it's raining while I type (where I work, not at Noonamah). Hopefully during the night this will reach Noonamah.

Tropical Cyclone Monica just before making landfall.

post-4226-12723705565903_thumb.jpg

I remember watching that cyclone in 06 and holding my breath. That would have made Tracey look like a stiff sea breeze. 360kph winds would have left a hole where Darwin was. By some miracle it passed as a cat 1 within 40km of Darwin. Talk about lucky. Soemone was looking after you guys that day.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yeah... I was ready to go and leave Darwin if it looks like it is going to hit. We had the car packed. So, it is a matter of putting the dogs and people in the car and go. Luckily, it went through Maningrida instead (not so lucky for Maningrida), but if it ever pass Darwin... it will be flattened again. I don't think any cyclone coding would survive that!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think a 360kph eyewall is way bigger than cat 5 or even cat 6. That would have to be a cat 7 equivalent to a richter scale of 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

There's been a semi-permanent pattern over North America for several weeks. Persistent trough over the West Coast has reinforced a strong ridge over the eastern half of the U.S. Good news for winter-weary palm growers in Texas\ Gulf Coast\ Florida. Rainfall has been the only positive aspect for California during a month where 19 of the past 27 days were below the norm: 76F\ 24.4C [my location]. Maybe a shower tonight.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

It got to 29.6C today. Now its cloudy. It may seal in some warmth tonight which will be nice.

Best regards

Tyrone

Destruction from Monica...

aerial_defoliation_junction_bay.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Destruction from Monica...

aerial_defoliation_junction_bay.jpg

I'm so glad that missed Darwin.

post-4226-12724592558553_thumb.jpg

This is my place in Jabiru after Monica. Funnily enough I was in Innisfail at a friend's place, a few weeks after TC Larry. Picked up Monica on the internet but thought so late in the season it'd most probably hit Borroloola as a 1 or 2 and that'd be the end of it. Once it'd rounded Gove Peninsula I went into panic mode. Neither my place in Jabiru nor Noonamah were ready for a cyclone, it was "too late in the season"! But no one had told Monica. And what didn't help morale was that on one of the track forecast maps BOM put the eye of Monica directly over Noonamah as a cat 4. Mentally I was superimposing images of what I was seeing around me in Innisfail over my place in Noonamah.

My friend in Innisfail told me it was pointless returning. I'd be too late and the police would blockade the area and not let any one in if it hit. If it didn't hit it would be a wasted trip. As it was the Jabiru house only got damage from the falling tree (Black Wattle). That and the two Ficus I'd planted out front years before probably protected the house. At Noonamah it was a non-event. The cyclone never got anywhere near Darwin except as a low pressure system. Damage didn't reach the South Alligator River, a couple of hundred kms east of Darwin.

When I got back the clean up was in full swing and the woodchippers were working overtime. There was a huge mountain of woodchips in the old (never built) highschool grounds. The vegetation dump outside of town had mountains of dumped trees and debris. Council encouraged us to take as much woodchip as possible but in the end they ran roadtrains of it into Darwin for weeks. And Jabiru was a different place. And all through the bush trees were all laying in the same direction. I had to do a few helicopter trips, and that really brought it home.

I've got 2 CD's of photos that were taken along Monica's track from Jabiru to Junction Bay. They were taken from a fixed wing aircraft so not as good as would have been from a chopper. The photo that Daryl posted looks like it's one of them.

That's the only thing that would scare me about moving to the top end. The cyclones can be massive.

Going for 27C today, then we slide into May with mid to low twenties. It's a beautiful time of year, with very little wind when the highs tend to sit directly overhead. Chilly overnight though. Once we get some moisture back into the atmosphere the nights will be a little more stabilised temp wise, but the days will lose heat with the extra cloud cover.

Best regards

Tyrone

It nearly got to 30C yesterday. It cooled down at night to 12C and this morning it was all foggy and dewey. No sun yet. Supposed to get to 24C. We'll see.

Tyrone

Nights down to 10 or 11c and days in high teens. Winter's on the way. What's in store for the garden this winter?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Still humid here... raining last night. Only 0.3mm though. I just had about enough of this humidity... actually looking forward to dry season, whenever it gets here. All these little rain here and there is only p###### me off. Let it be dry season... and then we can have an early wet...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

A few cold nights under the belt now. The long nighties and doona have been unpacked, and the bedsox wont be far away. Still lovely warm days though, averaging around 30c. Badly need some more rain, spent all afternoon watering and watched it soaking in as fast as it hit the ground.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Lastnight got down to 13.4C and we had 2.4mm of rain and everything appears soaked. But the rain was strange. It was like we were in a cloud and the rain was just condensing on all the foliage and dripping off leaves rather than falling from the sky. Real rainforest stuff. Cloudy this morning, going for 23C, then 25C and sunny tomorrow. 25-26C all next week, but nights around 10C and some single digits. It is May now I suppose. The on ramp to winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-4226-12726919938486_thumb.jpg

Dawn at my place this morning, a bit crisp at 21C. I had to pull a bedsheet over myself in the early hours of the morning. And surprisingly the humidity was dropping without the temp going up. Middle of the night it was 98% but by 5:30 am it was 95-96%. The rest of the day has been bright sunshine with small fluffy clouds, but not enough of them to provide any shade. The UV index is only getting up to 10 now.

Stats for April 2010 (based on 10 minute interval readings):

Temperature:

Highest Max 35.3

Av. Max 33.0

Lowest Min 20.9

Av. Min 23.4

Av. Daily 26.9

Heat Index:

Highest Max 46.9

Av. Max 41.3

Lowest Min 22.8

Av. Min 25.5

Av. Daily 30.0

Relative Humidity:

Highest Max 100%

Av. Max 99%

Lowest Min 47%

Av. Min 61%

Av. Daily 87%

Dew Point:

Highest Max 27.9

Av. Max 26.7

Lowest Min 20.1

Av. Min 22.8

Av. Daily 24.4

Wind Gust:

Highest Max 9.7 kph

Av. Max 3.3 kph

Total Rain 185.4 mm

You got more than me, Zig... only 175.3mm in April....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Got down to 10C here last night....autumn is definitely here....was a nice day though..about 21C.

A lot of dew around this morning.......

Some spiderwebs on palm leaves.... glistening in the morning sun.....

1. On a Foxy Lady.

post-953-12726981285238_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

2. On Caryota Maxima.

:)

regards

Michael

post-953-12726982673829_thumb.jpg

A muggy day, went to 29. Tonight its a lot cooler, but still quite sticky and uncomfortable. It will get cold later on however. Been very foggy at night and early mornings but no sign of rain. Got a please explain from the council asking why my water usage is just under 3,000 litres per day.. :unsure: ...trying to come up with a convincing fib !!

Peachy

27.35 south.

3000 litres per DAY ???????? :huh::huh:

Wowzers Peachy !!!

Ari, it was 26% above my average for April. But didn't make up for March being 58% below average. Although, the whole wet season is above average (13% over) so far. And there's still the storm in May to come. It shouldn't make much difference to the totals though.

I'm still surprised yours was lower. With all the storms that pass over Annaburroo and then move along north of the Arnhem Highway I'd have thought they'd have pushed your total up.

Miccles, I like those spider webs. There'some great patterns out in nature.

Peachy, only 3,000 litres per day? I guess I'd better just keep quiet.

Yeah.... everything just died on my doorstep usually, Zig. We get the rain, but not the numbers, if you know what I mean... It is ok though, it is when we missed out completely then I get upset... There were not that many Annaburroo lines this year and no gulfie from Jabiru along Arnhem highway either. This year has been weird!!! It has been a Koolpinyah year... We only got the edge with Koolpinyah storm... lucky to get 5mm usually. Palmerston and Howard Springs were getting most of the Koolpinyah.

How much did you get all up from the Sept? 2127 mm for me... a friend at Parap got 2300 this year... lucky!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I was out on the river this afternoon and the clouds were great. The sky was great. I went with my friend over to a beach 15 minutes by boat from town and had a few cold ones. The water is getting high now along the beaches. I love the skies this time of year.

Looking toward Manaus, Ponta Negra.

post-188-12727600593991_thumb.jpg

Looking from the Tropical Hotel grounds toward the Ponta Negra.

post-188-12727598247788_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Look at our warm start to May.

Forecast for Monday

Partly cloudy, with the chance of a morning shower. Light winds shifting

moderate S/SW in the afternoon.

Precis: Possible morning shower.

City: Min 11 Max 23

Mandurah: Min 13 Max 22

UV Alert: 10:10 am to 2:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: LOW-MODERATE

Tuesday Sunny. Min 9 Max 25

Wednesday Sunny. Min 10 Max 28

Thursday Sunny. Min 11 Max 29

Friday Sunny. Min 11 Max 30

Saturday Sunny. Min 12 Max 30

Sunday Sunny. Min 11 Max 28

Best regards

Tyrone

You got more than me, Zig... only 175.3mm in April....

April was about on average here at 292 mms.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Lucky you Don... That would be nice :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well Miccles I do like to be clean... :innocent: It hadnt rained here in a million years either so I used to put the sprinklers on at night, and usually fall asleep, forgetting to turn them off. :bummed:

Peachy

27.35 south.

Rained here last night :blink: . We got over 10mm. I haven't checked the manual rain gauge as my weather station can be a bit off with tropical storm. Wow!! Rain in May!!! I haven't seen that for a while....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Rained here last night :blink: . We got over 10mm. I haven't checked the manual rain gauge as my weather station can be a bit off with tropical storm. Wow!! Rain in May!!! I haven't seen that for a while....

Will you get rain in June? Has that happened before?

regards

Tyrone

Not in the last 5 years, Tyrone... although it has happened before, I think. Usually 1st of May, someone flicks the switch to dry season and we won't see any rain until the build up again. But, maybe this year is the year.... :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"