IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

Well the southern summer is technically finished. Right here it doesn't feel like it. The long range forecast says that March will be nearly identical to February here in Perth. Just two days ago we had 2C dewpoints. Today we've had a 37C day and now at night the beautiful humidity has moved in with 23C temps and 20C dewpoints. Talk about extremes. Tomorrow will be humid and 30C after a night around 20C. It's still and humid tonight. Wonderful.

So what are your Autumn or Spring experiences?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Spring? I think it's hiding behind the cold weather. The average for this time of year is 77F, but we haven't seen anywhere close to that, and we won't for a while if forecasts hold

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

@ Zeeth 20C. thats spring temperature for me. In germany still temperatures around 5-8 degress at day, -3 to 3 C at night ...

Ph.D. student at the university of bochum

"department: plant physiology and molecular biology"

I've never seen so much green around. Lucky it's my favorite colour.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I've never seen so much green around. Lucky it's my favorite colour.

I'm happy for you. :D

Aren't you called Greenleaf now???????

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I think the weather about a month or two from now would be pretty good for MOST of us! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

After a sizzling summer we are going to cool down a bit and drop below 30C for a couple of days. Lastnight was the first night in about a fortnight that I turned the air conditioning off. Tonight will be the same. The heat has been so unrelenting it's great to have a break. 26-28C is still great growing weather but things start to go backwards above 38C. I think I've lost my Dictyosperma album var furfuraceum. I have others but I grew this one from seed and he used to look magnificent. The ironic thing is even if we had a ton of hail and frost in winter I doubt it would have died, just look ugly. But a few 42C days and it's all over. I must have to confess that I'm looking forward to some days in the mid twenties with rain every now and again. Nice gentle soft weather.

Here's the forecast for the next few days.

Forecast for Wednesday evening

Sunny. Moderate to fresh S/SW'ly winds.

Precis: Sunny.

Forecast for Thursday

Partly cloudy. Moderate to fresh S'ly winds, shifting fresh S/SW in the

afternoon.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

City: Min 16 Max 28

Mandurah: Min 18 Max 26

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Friday Sunny. Min 13 Max 26

Saturday Sunny. Min 14 Max 29

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 18 Max 33

Monday Sunny. Min 20 Max 35

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 20 Max 34

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 36

Best regards

Tyrone

Lastnight was the first night in about a fortnight that I turned the air conditioning off.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I never sleep with my A/C off here in the city. And, when the power goes off it is a real drag. The nightime lows are always around 22 to 24 degrees, but it too stuffy and uncomfortable to not use A/C. In a real pinch a fan will work, but not the best. Now at our place in the country where we sleep in an open structure in hammocks it actually gets cool. Hammocks are cool to sleep in anyway, but I did need a light blanket to stay comfortable.

March is the rainiest month of the year traditionally so we can expect rain.

The attached picture of the Negro River from my country place is a good picture of a rainy season day. You can see the humidity in the air I believe. It was about 32 C and the humidity probably around 80 percent or so.

post-188-12676481865378_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The rain has stopped for now... the monsoon has deserted us... so we might have have these sunny days for a week or so, with very isolated storm. I hope the rain will be back soon because I am not giving up on this wet season yet....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Rain on the way !!! Woohoo :mrlooney:

Getting cooler though....

. Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed

Maximum 28°C 25°C 21°C 20°C 17°C 19°C 21°C

Minimum 17°C 20°C 17°C 14°C 13°C 13°C 13°C

%Chance Rain 60% 90% 90% 90% 80% 70% 30%

Amount(mm) 1-5 10-20 5-10 10-20 10-20 1-5 1

Edited by Miccles

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

A few lows will dip into the 30's °F but I would expect this to be the last for the season. It was soooo windy last night with tropical storm force winds that toppled some of my potted palms. My palms are just there, in a state of slumber, like it never ends. No wonder why so many wimpy palms, they get biologically spoiled by Don's weather.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Lastnight was the first night in about a fortnight that I turned the air conditioning off.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I never sleep with my A/C off here in the city. And, when the power goes off it is a real drag. The nightime lows are always around 22 to 24 degrees, but it too stuffy and uncomfortable to not use A/C. In a real pinch a fan will work, but not the best. Now at our place in the country where we sleep in an open structure in hammocks it actually gets cool. Hammocks are cool to sleep in anyway, but I did need a light blanket to stay comfortable.

March is the rainiest month of the year traditionally so we can expect rain.

The attached picture of the Negro River from my country place is a good picture of a rainy season day. You can see the humidity in the air I believe. It was about 32 C and the humidity probably around 80 percent or so.

I can relate to that Don. With all this hot weather we were still around 35C at sundown, 30C at midnight and around 22-25C just before sun up. You can't sleep through 30C plus midnights without air con, especially if you've just endured 40C plus temps through the day. Nothing seems to cool down before the sun comes up again. The difference is, we only get this at a certain time of the year. You have much more consistent weather and humidity, so you get nice warm nights all year round and less temp spikes than us.

Best regards

Tyrone

Rain on the way !!! Woohoo :mrlooney:

Getting cooler though....

. Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed

Maximum 28°C 25°C 21°C 20°C 17°C 19°C 21°C

Minimum 17°C 20°C 17°C 14°C 13°C 13°C 13°C

%Chance Rain 60% 90% 90% 90% 80% 70% 30%

Amount(mm) 1-5 10-20 5-10 10-20 10-20 1-5 1

Yes, I saw that on the BOM and was going to drop you an email. Not bad weather although a bit cool Tue, Wed. Still your Rhopies and Hedyscepe will love those days. I hope you get some decent tank filling happening.

Best regards

Tyrone

Still wet here...can't complain...temps are very mild, with no extremes, but good humidity. Plants are going nuts!

Daryl

Forecast for Thursday

Further showers, moderate E to SE winds.

Precis: Further showers.

City: Max 29

Bayside: Max 28

UV Alert: 8:10 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

Forecast for Friday

Showers about. Light to moderate E to NE winds.

Precis: Shower or two.

City: Min 22 Max 29

Bayside: Min 22 Max 28

Saturday Rain periods, moderate to heavy falls. Min 23 Max 27

Sunday Rain periods, moderate falls. Min 22 Max 27

Monday Shower or two Min 20 Max 28

Tuesday Mostly fine Min 21 Max 28

Wednesday Mostly fine. Min 21 Max 28

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Still wet here...can't complain...temps are very mild, with no extremes, but good humidity. Plants are going nuts!

Daryl

Forecast for Thursday

Further showers, moderate E to SE winds.

Precis: Further showers.

Bayside: Max 28

UV Alert: 8:10 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

Forecast for Friday

Showers about. Light to moderate E to NE winds.

Precis: Shower or two.

City: Min 22 Max 29

Bayside: Min 22 Max 28

Saturday Rain periods, moderate to heavy falls. Min 23 Max 27

Sunday Rain periods, moderate falls. Min 22 Max 27

Monday Shower or two Min 20 Max 28

Tuesday Mostly fine Min 21 Max 28

Wednesday Mostly fine. Min 21 Max 28

Ahhh. Very nice. :)

Definitely dryer here now... Apparently the hit and miss storm is back :angry: . Although, we got lucky today and managed to scare 7.5mm. Nothing compared to the rain that we have been having, but still rain nonetheless....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Downloaded my February weather station data today. Managed to get 11% over my average February rainfall (January was 81% over). As a matter of fact, October was the only month below average.

With the collapse of the monsoon the temperatures are up, and the humidity is still hanging in. UV rating still up to 16. But the MJO (Madden Julian Oscillation) looks like it's on its way, possibly before the end of the month. Hopefully that'll be the monsoon on its way back.

Ari, you got a 7.5mm hit, I got a 0mm miss. sad.gif

Zig,

Are you into the weather?? Are you in the local weather forum too?? You should join us...

Yeah, this year has been good... above average rainfall, although I would rather the rainfall spread a little bit more...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, in the "hit and miss" stakes looks like I scored a hit today, suspect you had a miss. Got 14mm out of that storm. Noonamah (the store) got 34mm. I think it was centred more over Berry Springs.

I've been into weather for quite a while, especially during the "interesting" times. Mostly check in on Wunderground when things are happening over there. Having contact with so many people via the internet there's often someone in the path of something. That's when I start playing the amateur. With the amount of data that's accessible on the internet it makes it easier to make predictions. At work they often ask me about the weather since it has a big impact on our activities. I didn't know there was a local weather forum.

tropico, i just noticed your picture thingy, i love that game!

i love florida...............and palm trees!

Ari, in the "hit and miss" stakes looks like I scored a hit today, suspect you had a miss. Got 14mm out of that storm. Noonamah (the store) got 34mm. I think it was centred more over Berry Springs.

I've been into weather for quite a while, especially during the "interesting" times. Mostly check in on Wunderground when things are happening over there. Having contact with so many people via the internet there's often someone in the path of something. That's when I start playing the amateur. With the amount of data that's accessible on the internet it makes it easier to make predictions. At work they often ask me about the weather since it has a big impact on our activities. I didn't know there was a local weather forum.

Yeah... it wouldn't cross the Stuart Highway... the bloody thing... :rolleyes: . It was close but not close enough... I can't wait till the next monsoon hits, which is probably towards the end of the month... (not soon enough). I will pm you the local weather forum... quiet there at the moment due to lack of activity...

If I knew Berry Springs get ALL the rain, I would really consider it before I was buying... (sigh)...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Spare a thought for those in inland and western Queensland.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/st-george-charleville-swamped-by-a-mighty-inland-sea/story-e6freon6-1225837527731

Biggest floods probably on record.

Paradise Dam near Bundaberg was finished four years ago and only filled for the first time last week and now a third of its capacity is going over the spillway every day.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

403,000 gigalitres is a lot of water!

What ever happened to El Nino????

Still raining here, but at least it can flow out to sea.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I told you El Nino doesn't really work for up here....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

When I find that El Nino guy I'm going to drown him in a a bucket of water - cos that's all we got over here in the west. :(

It's warming up again here after a nice cool spell of mid twenties.

Sunny. Light to moderate E/SE winds shifting moderate S/SW'ly near the coast

during the afternoon.

Precis: Sunny.

Mandurah: Max 28

UV Alert: 9:00 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Sunday Sunny. Min 17 Max 32

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 34

Tuesday Sunny. Min 20 Max 36

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 23 Max 36

Thursday Cloudy periods. Min 22 Max 34

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 20 Max 30

Best regards

Tyrone

Yeah !! That's what I'm talkin about !!!!! :drool:

post-953-12678477898505_thumb.gif

I hope the black dot isn't hail...

Ha - no - I don't think so... but extremely heavy rain. And it sounds wonderful....thunder every 20 seconds or so..... good steady rain...the sound of tanks filling....not a hint of wind.... just awesome....

Heaven. :D

Awesome Michael. May your tanks fill to overflowing. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

I hope the black dot isn't hail...

Ha - no - I don't think so... but extremely heavy rain. And it sounds wonderful....thunder every 20 seconds or so..... good steady rain...the sound of tanks filling....not a hint of wind.... just awesome....

Heaven. :D

Yeah... can't wait till we have one of those again... Enjoy it!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Put a few things out to get a bit of rain....... may as well not let it go to waste !! :winkie:

And now sitting back with the best burger going around (it's the bacon that does it...seriously)...listening to the rain...bliss. :D

post-953-1267851309993_thumb.jpg

Uh-oh. :huh:

"The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:10 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms

were detected on weather radar near Gembrook, the area east of KooWeeRup, the

area east of Pakenham and the area northeast of Pakenham. These thunderstorms

are moving towards the south to southeast. Other severe thunderstorms were

located near Neerim, the area west of Kilmore, the area west of Sunbury, the

area west of Whittlesea and French Island. They are forecast to affect

Craigieburn, Greensborough, Melton and Preston by 4:40 pm and Dandenong, Glen

Waverley, Melbourne City and Ringwood by 5:10 pm.

Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are

likely.

Reports of hail between 2cm and 5cm have reported from these thunderstorms in

several suburbs of Melbourne including North Melbourne, Ascot Vale, Heathmont,

Mt Waverly and Melton. Hail as big as 10cm has recently been reported in

Ferntree Gully.

Wind gusts to around 100 km/hr have been recorded at Melbourne Airport.

Significant rainfall totals have been recorded in 15 minute to 1 hour periods,

including;

62mm at Maribyrnong

47mm at Rockbank,

42mm at Keilor

40mm at Melton

38mm at Deer Park

32mm at Keilor"

So.. the black dots are hail!! I hope you don't get them...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I had a dream lastnight of hail the size of coconuts. My relatives live in Gembrook, but they don't grow palms. My uncle used to have a giant Sequoia growing at his place. Hail shouldn't bother them. It should be good for or the drought ravaged streams and rivers in the Dandenongs.

And the Yarra will run brown as always.

Best regards

Tyrone

The storms today hit Melbourne hard......I was fine in the outlying area I live in ...but the city took a hammering.

post-953-12678720032723_thumb.jpg

It was only a 30 minute storm...but the hail was fairly sizeable !! :unsure:

post-953-12678721127077_thumb.jpg

A day to remember.....

post-953-12678721922731_thumb.jpg

Wow!

That's killer hail. One of those would fracture a skull. God knows what it did to plants.

Dick

Richard Douglas

You missed a missile there Michael. Phew. How full are your tanks now? I think more is on the way from north too. Lookout Tassie.

Best regards

Tyrone

You missed a missile there Michael. Phew. How full are your tanks now? I think more is on the way from north too. Lookout Tassie.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi - didnt get a heap of rain here compared to other areas (seem to be saying that a lot )...but meant to be sizeable falls tomorrow... here's hoping. Tanks are about 30% full. Just thankful I didn't get smashed by that killer hail..... plenty of broken windscreens in the city. That would have shredded my garden in 5 minutes.

Edited by Miccles