IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen Palms in Hernando county

jrh735

Can someone please tell me if Queen palms will survive in Spring Hill Florida ? It seems to me that they do well for a number of years until a bad freeze. Will they recover ? Why do people cut them down ? Ive seen a few very large ones that have survived for 20-30 years ? Please help !!!

Probably they would do pretty well, just make sure to water a lot in summer and fertilize.

If they get cold damaged badly, replanting with a mule palm is always an option though.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Welcome to PalmTalk, jrh. How low do temps drop there in a "normal" winter? This winter is far from normal. I think queens can take to low 20s, at least. My 7 queens saw as low as 28.5 this winter without blinking.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Probably they would do pretty well, just make sure to water a lot in summer and fertilize.

If they get cold damaged badly, replanting with a mule palm is always an option though.

Thanks for the info ! I've seen some really nice Mule palms around.

Welcome to PalmTalk, jrh. How low do temps drop there in a "normal" winter? This winter is far from normal. I think queens can take to low 20s, at least. My 7 queens saw as low as 28.5 this winter without blinking.

Thank you ! It is a zone 9a. Normally 27-30 at least once or twice a winter. I live in Miami Beach zone 11,and we didnt hit freezing,but i am still amazed at the damage to the Coconuts !!! My grandparents live up in Spring Hill. I have been trying to figure out why people just dont let the Queens recover. Istead they get rid of them :( Its sad because queen palms are the only palm that gives that area a tropical look !

I teach at Hudson Middle, on the campus with the high school, about 3 mi S of the Hernando line and in a rural area. I am also teaching a student homebound in an area called Shady Hills, which is farther east and open...and very rural. I have seen CIDP toasted out there! Washingtonia are fried, Queens obliterated. There are even Queens near campus in really bad shape, yet none in my yard 14 mi south are even nipped. When I look around, those Queens that are taken care of...good nutrition and watering only when it is really dry...are easily the best after this mess. You can see how the Queens neglected, even a little east of me, look awful. But, the ones here will recover as they are only fried on the outside. It also helps to feed in late Oct in our area to harden them off. I do a liquid feed in a bucket for a quick filter of food. In Spring Hill, Pindos are perfectly suited and if you look for the more upright varieties (crosses I assume) they give a more tropical look. It is a rough climate in Hernando...even 8b because the house I go to hit 18F when I hit 27/28F! Greg In New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I teach at Hudson Middle, on the campus with the high school, about 3 mi S of the Hernando line and in a rural area. I am also teaching a student homebound in an area called Shady Hills, which is farther east and open...and very rural. I have seen CIDP toasted out there! Washingtonia are fried, Queens obliterated. There are even Queens near campus in really bad shape, yet none in my yard 14 mi south are even nipped. When I look around, those Queens that are taken care of...good nutrition and watering only when it is really dry...are easily the best after this mess. You can see how the Queens neglected, even a little east of me, look awful. But, the ones here will recover as they are only fried on the outside. It also helps to feed in late Oct in our area to harden them off. I do a liquid feed in a bucket for a quick filter of food. In Spring Hill, Pindos are perfectly suited and if you look for the more upright varieties (crosses I assume) they give a more tropical look. It is a rough climate in Hernando...even 8b because the house I go to hit 18F when I hit 27/28F! Greg In New Port Richey

Thanks,Greg ! Great information... Ive often wondered if Spring Hill was actually that much colder. I can remember after some of the really cold freezes of the 1980s, driving down US 19 and once i got to around Bayonet Point the Queens seemed to be OK.Could it be that Port Richey south may even be a zone 10a most years ? My grandparents have had the same queens in their yard since the late 1970s. They are well watered and fertilized.I have to say that Pindos are my least favorite. they wash out the landscape with the blueish/grey/green foliage. Mule palms seem worth looking into.

Thanks again ! Keep me posted on the progress of the Queens in your neck of the woods.

Yes, New Port Richey, especially my area around downtown, does seem to get away with quite a bit. I lived here since '88, and only a handful of years has damage been substantial. Unfortunately, the past two winters have not been the best....although last year we got through much better than this year. Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Yes, New Port Richey, especially my area around downtown, does seem to get away with quite a bit. I lived here since '88, and only a handful of years has damage been substantial. Unfortunately, the past two winters have not been the best....although last year we got through much better than this year.

Hopefully most things will recover once it warms up.There is even alot of damage here on Miami Beach. We got down to 35 at least twice. The coconuts have really taken a beating. Everything looks very stressed out !!!