IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fun Finds at [s]Fills[/s] Phils

BS Man about Palms

I have had some credit at Phils place (Jungle Music) and finally went to get some stuff a couple weeks back.

First up, a biggie and an experiment.

A Masoala madgascarensis and a nice big Syagrus amara in a 5 gal!!

post-27-12670589546276_thumb.jpg

Oh yes, it should be:

Fun Finds at Fills Phils.

But I guess you can't do that fancy stuff in the title...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Next up, a better look at the madagascarensis and a Burretiokentia dumasii.

post-27-12670593567289_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Heres another big experiment. Dypsis betamponensis? I decided it would have better luck in the ground than in a pot outside.

post-27-12670594602899_thumb.jpg

I had also stuffed this Pinanga kuhulii out of the way some time back. I think I stuffed it TOO far out of the way... :D

post-27-12670606506805_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned for when I plant the Masoala.. probably within the month.

I gotta hit Phil up for a Thrinax soon. :drool:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Dang Bill, you must have hidden those things so good that Juaquin couldn't find them to give them some water. Those are the rattiest JM plants I've ever seen. Definitely not typical of the stock that Phil has. I guess he was getting them ready for your place. (Yes, snark)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 6 years later...

Sorry, bumped this to find pic of my old Masoala..

This was mine...we dug it up when I sold my house...but unfortunately it died a slow death...worth  a try though!

DSC_3140.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

21 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

15 hrs ago Darly said as above, for some reason when I pressed Daryls quote BS Mans came up??  Wow, just when you Masaoala was well on its way it dies after a dig attempt, what a "bummer", what month did you do the dig Daryl and did the Lemur survive ? If you havnt got a Condapanna yet I still have yours whch is getting some size in its 400mm tub, will be a even bigger in Spring :)  Pete

DSC_3140.jpg

Pic of your Masoala too Pete?

7 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Pic of your Masoala too Pete?

Will in Spring Bill its a lil stretched from Clayton stashing it away for a rainy day sale, was good to see him a few mnths nearly a yrs ago actually, wow , how time flys, he's pickn up speed n outlook. I better gi down the steep slope behind the Dypsis Rd and make sure the 2nd Mas is still kick'n.

Yours you had a few yrs back was a beauty, darn shame the moles rooted it  :mellow:    Pete

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pedro 65 said:

Will in Spring Bill its a lil stretched from Clayton stashing it away for a rainy day sale, was good to see him a few mnths nearly a yrs ago actually, wow , how time flys, he's pickn up speed n outlook. I better gi down the steep slope behind the Dypsis Rd and make sure the 2nd Mas is still kick'n.

Yours you had a few yrs back was a beauty, darn shame the moles rooted it  :mellow:    Pete

It was actually VOLES Pete. Jumped in the pot and mowed off the leaves. lost over half my rare potted stuff to them a year or more ago.. :angry:  Hope yours do great and looking forward to seeing them.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

It was actually VOLES Pete. Jumped in the pot and mowed off the leaves. lost over half my rare potted stuff to them a year or more ago.. :angry:  Hope yours do great and looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks Bill, I rolled down the very  steep  Dypsis rd  I really did, I tripped on some lantana and down I went}  to check on the smallest Maso and alls  good.

Bill, I know words have different meanings here in Oz to the US, but stupid it may  sound , but I was trying to end the sentence  with a little humour.Pete

Moles in Oz are Ho's and rooted means youve had sex with, which your Vole didnt as it ate the roots of yr Masoala, not had sex with it :)

Pete

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Moles in Oz are Ho's and rooted means youve had sex with, which your Vole didnt as it ate the roots of yr Masoala, not had sex with it :)

what?

:floor:

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2016, 8:03:32, Pando said:

what?

:floor:

I'm with Pando.. Good Humour Pete!!:floor:  Glad the fall was not serious... you have a poor record with those I know.... hahah

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2016, 12:03:10, Pedro 65 said:

Thanks Bill, I rolled down the very  steep  Dypsis rd  I really did, I tripped on some lantana and down I went}  to check on the smallest Maso and alls  good.

Bill, I know words have different meanings here in Oz to the US, but stupid it may  sound , but I was trying to end the sentence  with a little humour.Pete

Pete

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24