IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FREEZE PRUF

gsytch

I was looking online and came across this application protection. Has anyone tried it? It states to apply above 50F when anticipated freezes occur, preferably a few days ahead or 6-8 hours if need be. Curious, because it seems if it did work to some degree it may help those slightly marginal plams and plants get through. Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Does NOT work. I did a trial with a multipot pygmy date palm this past week. I sprayed one plant per directions. I also sprayed another with antidesicant, and then I had a control with nothing sprayed. After two frosts and near 28F, all of them are equally brown.

Ryan

www.collectorpalms.com

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

It has worked for me. It adds "UP TO" over 9 degrees of hardiness to the plant. For my Musa Basjoo & Musa Sikkimensis, which usually fry at about 32­°F, it held them up well down to 28°F. Now, 4°F doesn't seem like much, but this DID extend my plants' growing season by over a month this fall... had the product been out last spring, I'm sure it would've added a few more weeks to the overall 2009 season.

As far as palm trees go, I've been using it on my potted palm trees (Butia Capitata, T. fortunei, T. wagnerianus, T. takil, and T. latisectus) and have noticed far less cold damage than any of our previous winters. The palms are in a semi-protected porch where temperatures have dipped into the low 20's F. One waggie palm (2 yrs old), however, is planted in-ground in my front yard, close to the house with only FreezePruf as protection. So far it's doing great. Minimal leaf damage, but after a few weeks of single-digit lows (a few nights of sub-zero; -2°F being the lowest recorded in my yard) and daytime highs in the low 20's F, that's great. I had another one defoliate without the FreezePruf application; we'll see if that one recovers.

I wouldn't spend one nickel on it. Few have noticed anything good coming from it. Waste of money.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

It has worked for me. It adds "UP TO" over 9 degrees of hardiness to the plant. For my Musa Basjoo & Musa Sikkimensis, which usually fry at about 32­°F, it held them up well down to 28°F. Now, 4°F doesn't seem like much, but this DID extend my plants' growing season by over a month this fall... had the product been out last spring, I'm sure it would've added a few more weeks to the overall 2009 season.

As far as palm trees go, I've been using it on my potted palm trees (Butia Capitata, T. fortunei, T. wagnerianus, T. takil, and T. latisectus) and have noticed far less cold damage than any of our previous winters. The palms are in a semi-protected porch where temperatures have dipped into the low 20's F. One waggie palm (2 yrs old), however, is planted in-ground in my front yard, close to the house with only FreezePruf as protection. So far it's doing great. Minimal leaf damage, but after a few weeks of single-digit lows (a few nights of sub-zero; -2°F being the lowest recorded in my yard) and daytime highs in the low 20's F, that's great. I had another one defoliate without the FreezePruf application; we'll see if that one recovers.

Let's see a picture of your Trachycarpus W. in Rochester, NY. Growing a palm in ground, any palm, in upstate NY with no protection would surely be something to see.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Let's see a picture of your Trachycarpus W. in Rochester, NY. Growing a palm in ground, any palm, in upstate NY with no protection would surely be something to see.

These are from January 17th, 2010 or so here in Rochester, NY.

18670_416626675789_502400789_10744226_2188421_n.jpg

This one was a couple of days later after some of the snow melted away... temps went up just barely past freezing, enough to melt some of the snow away.

18670_419051635789_502400789_10766434_5909293_n.jpg

It's only its second winter and didn't do much growing last summer. Last winter it was protected with Christmas lights and Wilt-Proof. This winter, nothing but Freezepruf.

I'll see if I can snap an updated picture once some of the snow melts away - could be this afternoon since we're heatwaving up into the mid-upper 30's today.

These are from January 17th, 2010 or so here in Rochester, NY.

18670_416626675789_502400789_10744226_2188421_n.jpg

This one was a couple of days later after some of the snow melted away... temps went up just barely past freezing, enough to melt some of the snow away.

18670_419051635789_502400789_10766434_5909293_n.jpg

It's only its second winter and didn't do much growing last summer. Last winter it was protected with Christmas lights and Wilt-Proof. This winter, nothing but Freezepruf.

I'll see if I can snap an updated picture once some of the snow melts away - could be this afternoon since we're heatwaving up into the mid-upper 30's today.

All I see is little red X's with posted image next to it? blink.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

All I see is little red X's with posted image next to it? blink.gif

Hmmm... images are hosted on facebook... might be blocked...

Is this better?

post-3338-12668907445305_thumb.jpg

post-3338-12668907505081_thumb.jpg

There's a well documented appraisal for palms HERE

Definitely far from a recommendation.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Don't waste your money on it. My experience with it actually had the reverse effect. The palms I treated with it faired worse than the ones I left alone. My FreezePruf treated 20 year old Howea, for instance, suffered massive damage at 27.5F on one night and has weathered 26F in the past with superficial damage. All my younger Howeas (4 years to 12 years) in the ground were left untreated and unprotected and none suffered ANY damage that same freeze event. Also, My 5 year old Roystonea Borinquena suffered 30% leaf burn with FreezePruf "protection". This same palm had no visible damage after the 2007 freeze event where it experienced 26.5F.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens