IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC MARCH, 2010 MEETING

DoomsDave

Well, smack me upside my head with a frozen durian . . . . :lol:

I'm stoked and my anticipation is stroked because our March 20, 2010 Palm Society of Southern California meeting is going to be at two marvelous San Diego gardens, not far from the 5 Freeway.

GARDEN OF JIM WRIGHT

Ever wonder what it would be like to have Rhopalistylus, Hedyscepe, and Howeas for tall canopy, instead of the usual Archontophoenix? Ever cry yourself to sleep believing you will never see such a thing in your life, without paying a fortune in air fare for a trip to the South Pacific?

Well, put away your crying towel, bring your portable swooning chaise lounge and come to the meeting at Mr. Wright's garden!

Jim is a longtime member of our Society and began his garden in the early 1960’s. When he ran out of garden space, he bought the house next door for expanding the garden. He benefits from envy-inducing San Diego weather and has mature, towering, canopy-sized Rhopalostylis, Hedyscepe, Euterpe, Dypsis, rare Chamaedorea, Kentiopsis, and all sorts of other cool tropical plants, including a whole bunch of Epidendrum radicans orchids in a rainbow of colors growing outdoors. With the help and creativity of his now-deceased wife, Lise, the Wrights created a truly spectacular garden. Lise added the artistic touch to the garden and designed a lot of the plantings and mosaics in the adjacent garden, a true treasure and pleasure for the senses.

Lise and Jim had our screaming mob over for a meeting a few years back, and I can say: I came, I saw, I swooned. Rhopies with twenty feet of trunk. A 30 (three-oh!) foot tall Euterpe edulis which probably has produced some of the northernmost acai berries on earth. A totally bitchen boardwalk all through the place.

GARDEN OF LELAND FLETCHER

Very close to the Wright garden is the home of Leland Fletcher. Known by his nickname “Fletch”, he has a sloped backyard landscaped with rare palms and cycads. His garden offers near mature genera like Coccothrinax (8 species), Pritchardia, Dypsis, Pseudophoenix and others. His garden is 16 years old and very impressive. Fletch has many other hobbies to keep himself busy but cordially invited our group in for a tour. His wide driveway will be the site of our auction and raffle.

Note: No picking of fruits or seeds at either garden! :rage:

ITINERARY:

9:30 AM: Board Meeting at Jim Wright’s house

11:00 AM: Regular Meeting at the garden of Jim Wright

12:15 PM: Depart the garden of Jim Wright, get lunch on your own. At the north end of Burgener there are multiple fast food restaurants and a sit down buffet.

1:00 PM: Meet at the garden of Leland Fletcher. Auction and Plant Raffle

3:30PM: Adjournment of Meeting

DONATIONS OF PLANTS ARE TO BE BROUGHT TO FLETCH’S HOUSE

DIRECTIONS:

JIM WRIGHT’S GARDEN: 3151 BURGENER, S.D., CA (PHONE 619 2087272):

Take Freeway 5 to the Mission Bay area of San Diego (2 miles north of Fwy 8).

Exit Clairmont Drive east. Go one mile up the hill

Turn right on Burgener (at south end of shopping center).

Continue one mile south to 2151 Burgener. Enter garden through south gate

LELAND FLETCHER’S GARDEN: 2731 PENROSE ST, SD, CA (PHONE 619 2750161)

Return north on Burgener for a little less than a mile (before Clairmont Dr).

Turn left on Field St. Note that Field St. turns into Penrose St.

Fletch's house is on the left, 3731 Penrose St. The one with all the palms . . . . :D

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Be there!

Aloha! :lol:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Heres an Idea. We should try to get a group photo of all the attending Palm talk members at the Jubea grove down the hill from the gardens at Mission bay. (About 2-3 miles at most as the crow flies. )

That would be cool.

Anyone else game?

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

So you're gonna be there?

Or are we gonna have to kidnap you . . . . :)

I plan on being there, I'm just trying to get a Palmtalk "group photo". I think that would be cool.

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Palmtalk "group photo" sounds suspiciously like a PRA! :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Palmtalk "group photo" sounds suspiciously like a PRA! :)

Okie Dokie! So Kim's in too!!!! Yay!!!

• Like 1

Otay buttwheat!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Ooooo two more! We're up to 4! :D

• Like 1

Agree Kim, there's a PRA in the woods... B)

enjoy the day folks

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Agree Kim, there's a PRA in the woods... B)

enjoy the day folks

Dang, Wal, your avatar changes like the weather . . ..

How's the new garden? Post some new pictures . . . . . ! :)

mattyb & i MET on this very same garden tour a few yrs ago so please bring a nice anniversary gift. :wub:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Early miscount, but now looks like 6!! More??

When is best?

Before Ralphs,

between?

After the end??

• Like 1

Bill,

Who's Ralph? Are you sniffing perlite again?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Bill,

Who's Ralph? Are you sniffing perlite again?

:blush:

Oops. I meant our own San Diego version of Ralph. Jim Wright. Sorry Jim. :)

• Like 1

Bill, put down the Dr. Pepper and step away from the Livistona victoriae.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I nominate Matty to take the group shot picture. :unsure:

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

come on,jeff.you know that matts camera can only take half of a picture before the batteries die!

still "warning-free."

Any of our local members have any pictures?

The dog ate all of mine . . .. . :(

OF??????

The Meetings YET TO BE on the 20th of this month?

OR the Jubea grove?

Here are some illustrious Florida people taking some of the grove in...

post-27-12676651165272_thumb.jpg

(PS- there are 9 or 10 in this pic, some WAY back there)

• Like 1

Pictures of the Wright Garden, Fletch's Garden, or both . . . .

O.K., I want in! I'm supposed to attend the Board meeting at 9:30A so I hope it's in between gardens or after the meeting.

Bring LOTS OF PLANTS for the auction. My motor mouth is getting a tuneup . . . . :lol::drool::mrlooney:

Finally a meeting in my neck of the woods :D . Planning on being there for both. Jim's garden is one of the first I ever saw and still one of my favorites!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

So, who else is coming to the meeting?

Out thyselves, for whosoever outeth themselves, is blessed.

Or, at least well-acknowledged.

Go ye, to the meeting, take pictures, and post them wherever ye might . . .

Red Five standing by.

Trying to get a few others who went into retirement to go too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

So, who else is coming to the meeting?

Out thyselves, for whosoever outeth themselves, is blessed.

Or, at least well-acknowledged.

Go ye, to the meeting, take pictures, and post them wherever ye might . . .

Take lots of pics Dave - can't wait to see the garden !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

After talking with various folks, it looks like the best chance for the group photo op will be between the garden tours. It will work best to get to Jims yard early so we can peel off, get the pics, then lunch and to the next yard.

Its only a couple mile drive at most, I'll bring my big truck and maybe some others can bring similar, to haul mini groups there and back.

I'm gonna shoot for Jim's yard about 10:30-10:45 So maybe we can leave at 12:00 to get there (5+ min. drive) If anyone shows on their own, we'll be the easy nuts to see near the Jubea's :D

• Like 1

NOTICE- ERROR ON JIM WRIGHTS ADDRESS!

ITS 2151 Burgener Blvd!! Its "2" NOT "3"!!!

• Like 1

Here is a link to a map of Jims location (the "A") if you look to the left of that between the I-5 and the water near the Hilton are the Jubea's! :D

http://maps.google.c...151+BURGENER+Rd,+San+Diego&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=3151+Burgener+Blvd,+San+Diego,+CA+92117&gl=us&ei=WB6dS7LPAZGmswPn2cm_Aw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

Sorry- I don't know how to do a screen capture, you'll have to look for the San Diego address and navigate left! (west)

• Like 1

:huh:
  • Like 1

After talking with various folks, it looks like the best chance for the group photo op will be between the garden tours. It will work best to get to Jims yard early so we can peel off, get the pics, then lunch and to the next yard.

Its only a couple mile drive at most, I'll bring my big truck and maybe some others can bring similar, to haul mini groups there and back.

I'm gonna shoot for Jim's yard about 10:30-10:45 So maybe we can leave at 12:00 to get there (5+ min. drive) If anyone shows on their own, we'll be the easy nuts to see near the Jubea's :D

a cautionary note: if you go somewhere with bill you are subject to being the victim of "side-trip bill sanford."

you have been warned. :mrlooney:

still "warning-free."

thanks BS MAN

You know me, I'll just photshop myself into the center of the shot.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I'm taking measures to try and scoot down to San Diego for this! Hopefully everything will work out and I'll be able to make it! I'll know more by Wednesday for sure! What time is the photo op at the juby grove? I could be down for that also!

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Should be close to high noon for the photo.

• Like 1