IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms on Deck

ellidro

uuhhh, still looking for and old pic.

But, I'm giving serious thought to dropping this in soon, much to the chagrin of El Hoagie.

You bastard! Well at least I have plenty of seedlings...

You Cali guys are crazy planting this time of year. I don't even think about it until at least April, it's still f-ing freezing outside!!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

So far, in the past three weeks:

• Three Dypsis lanceolata, 5 gallon
  • Two Dypsis lanceolata, 1 gallon
  • One Dypsis ambositrae, 1 gallon
  • A mess of ti cuttings and ti plants.
  • Costus barbatus cutting
  • And still more ti...

And now it's time to start dividing the ginger and taro.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

That's what I like about you Jack and you Bill, you are both not backward in coming forward. :lol:

Edited by Greenleaf

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

uuhhh, still looking for and old pic.

But, I'm giving serious thought to dropping this in soon, much to the chagrin of El Hoagie.

You Cali guys are crazy planting this time of year. I don't even think about it until at least April, it's still f-ing freezing outside!!

Thats right, I forgot Zone 10b is cold to you! :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Interesting...Even though my original image was 1.3MB, palmtalk would not take it. Now that I reduced the size, it worked fine....

So here's the pic of the palm in the pot

post-462-12668719006769_thumb.jpg

I planted it out yesterday, with a whole new hedge made of ti's and a large plumeria.

post-462-1266872700315_thumb.jpg

My logic is that it is colder in the pot on the ground than in the ground itself.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

My logic is that it is colder in the pot on the ground than in the ground itself.

Good going Joe. Thats the logic that has been driving me lately..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Rafeal, the triple king is not in full sun. Right now, with the weather, it's hardly in any sun at all. During the late fall and winter the location of the sun doesn't quite hit that side of the house that often.

come summer, it will be protected from the sun until about 11:30am-12:00. Then it's going to get blasted with sun for about 3 or 4 hours, then part shade until 5 or 6 when sun drops down below my neighbor's house. I'm hoping with ample water and the other palms i'm planning on planting around it, hopefully it will get just enough protection and do well!

Thanks for the kind words, i really agree. Right now this has to be one of my favorites. Nice and tropical, just the way it ought to be!

-eric hofmannpost-4118-12668972961067_thumb.jpg

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

More pics of those awesome hybrids ;). Drool slobber drool.

David S.

Placentia, CA

Zone 10A

Lat: N 33 ° 53 ' 47 '' ( 33.896 ° )

Lon: W 117 ° 51 ' 33 '' ( -117.859 ° )

Elevation (ft): 325

Bill,

Is that a Livistona victoriae in post #19? I've got a seedling thanks to the Hoagmeister, but dang dude that thing is cool! Wanna trade? Come on, you know it'd be much happier over here in the heat. Need a D. lanceo-nada?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Got lots of palms to plant this season. Purchased a 20 gal D. lanceolata for my annual Vietnamese New Years purchase. It will be going into the ground in a week or two. Would post pics, but am having a lot of problems uploading.

Now that I a nice present to yourself!! I am going to start that tradition too Joe!

David S.

Placentia, CA

Zone 10A

Need more close up picts of those crazy Hybrids - Nick.

David S.

Placentia, CA

Zone 10A

Bill,

Is that a Livistona victoriae in post #19? I've got a seedling thanks to the Hoagmeister, but dang dude that thing is cool! Wanna trade? Come on, you know it'd be much happier over here in the heat. Need a D. lanceo-nada?

Hmmmm, about the same arguments Jack tried...

NO

Wait, the answer to your first sentence was, yes.

Here's a couple I've already planted, (couldn't wait until spring, not a shred of patience with me!) Large 20 gallon reclinata, (doing much better than my previous.., and large 12' tall washy. I'm waiting until a good solid week or weeks of warm weather before the Bizzy and Juby in pots go in, and finally, a 20 gallon Canary that's already pretty darn big. Can't wait til summer when these pups take off!

-fins up

eric,

beaumont, ca

That's a lot of planting for one man Eric, you're huge.

Randy

Randy

Beaumont, Ca. In the wind tunnel between Riverside and Palm Springs.

USDA 9B , Sunset Zone 18, Elevation 2438'

I won't lie to you Randy,

I had some help. A young buck who's still wet behind the ears, and a pair of geriatrics aided me in putting the Washy and the Canary in the ground. Might have been better off seeking assistance from loiterers in my local home depot parking lot....

P.S. what do you think about that Jubaea? post-4118-12669846526069_thumb.jpg

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

I won't lie to you Randy,

I had some help. A young buck who's still wet behind the ears, and a pair of geriatrics aided me in putting the Washy and the Canary in the ground. Might have been better off seeking assistance from loiterers in my local home depot parking lot....

P.S. what do you think about that Jubaea? post-4118-12669846526069_thumb.jpg

-eric

I still have the heating pad on my back...back to Golden Girls

Randy

Beaumont, Ca. In the wind tunnel between Riverside and Palm Springs.

USDA 9B , Sunset Zone 18, Elevation 2438'

Interesting...Even though my original image was 1.3MB, palmtalk would not take it. Now that I reduced the size, it worked fine....

So here's the pic of the palm in the pot

post-462-12668719006769_thumb.jpg

I planted it out yesterday, with a whole new hedge made of ti's and a large plumeria.

post-462-1266872700315_thumb.jpg

Nice lancey, Joe. is it sun acclimated much? It doesn't look too stretched out.

Those red ti plants have some nice hight to them.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

David - Will take any excuse to buy a palm.

Vince - The lancey will definitely burn off those tender leaves. I've got it in full sun and expect the fronds/leaflets to shorten up once it acclimates. Those Ti's are called "Onomea's". I have found that cultivar to be a winner for coastal southern California. I have around 10 variety of ti's now, and those are by far my favorite.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Rafeal, the triple king is not in full sun. Right now, with the weather, it's hardly in any sun at all. During the late fall and winter the location of the sun doesn't quite hit that side of the house that often.

come summer, it will be protected from the sun until about 11:30am-12:00. Then it's going to get blasted with sun for about 3 or 4 hours, then part shade until 5 or 6 when sun drops down below my neighbor's house. I'm hoping with ample water and the other palms i'm planning on planting around it, hopefully it will get just enough protection and do well!

Thanks for the kind words, i really agree. Right now this has to be one of my favorites. Nice and tropical, just the way it ought to be!

-eric hofmannpost-4118-12668972961067_thumb.jpg

I think your triple cunn. will be ok then!

I have made focus on that one, because i have one double, bigger, but not yet in the ground (i am in zone 9b, with maritime climate, and some few episodes of frost), i am studyind the right place on the yard...

Edited by rafael

Planted a few things today. It felt good to work in it instead of cleaning the winter havoc(wind,rain,hail etc).

What did you plant?

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Shon planted, let me guess, a Rhopalostylis cheeseclothii, Butia expanditata, and a Clingosperma chinensis.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

New plantings posts, my favorites. All impressive plants going in. I'm hoping to plant some palms this weekend, likely to be a few different fan palms and a Dypsis or two, will take pics.

Here's some pics of the first plantings for me from last Saturday. By Sunday another 6 palms were planted and today I aim to plant several more, stay tuned bossanova fans, we're dancing in Beerwah tonight.

Silver Bismarkia, Yellow Latania and a lil' green bizzie lady I invited in, I hope she stays. I did mulch them all after the pic on top of some sheepish manure.

post-51-1267136285414_thumb.jpg.JPG]

post-51-12671363381247_thumb.jpg.JPG]

post-51-12671363718616_thumb.jpg.JPG]

post-51-12671364073741_thumb.jpg.JPG]

post-51-12671364435572_thumb.jpg.JPG]

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Spring is almost upon us in this part of the world and I'm getting excited to start planting. Here's my first two palms on deck for planting. Show me yours.

Dypsis baronii/onilahensis type on the left (notice there is no petiole) and Dypsis Cabadae X Decaryi (I think) on the right.

I love posts like this, everyone is so different!

post-2997-12671388716759_thumb.jpg Asterogyne martiana

post-2997-12671389249513_thumb.jpg Calyptrocalyx elegans

post-2997-12671389728919_thumb.jpg Johannesteijmania altifrons

post-2997-12671390309281_thumb.jpg Dypsis lanceolata

post-2997-12671390728985_thumb.jpg Chamaedorea geonomiformis

post-2997-12671391598681_thumb.jpg Caryota zebrina

These are some of my babies! Good luck, everybody. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

I'll ignore Matty's post. Pinanga philippenensis,Rhapis excelsa variegated,Cyphosperma balansae and Chamaedorea adscendens. I'll post some pics when I'm done with the area.

San Marcos CA

Shon planted, let me guess, a Rhopalostylis cheeseclothii, Butia expanditata, and a Clingosperma chinensis.

Hey! Let's keep it clean here folks!

lol_hitting.gif

Nice planting there Peter.... Let me know how your C. zebrina going... That is one palm that I have no luck with...

We are getting probably our monsoonal burst this week... so probably the last chance to plant before the hit and miss storm and then dry season kicks in... So, let's see what I am planting this weekend.... hhmmm... probably Mauritia :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I was bored last week so I put this baby to bed! I also believe the roots would be better insulated inground than in the disolving pot it was in. the "cooler" weather is a my time to dig new beds. :)

post-1035-12671879245776_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Ta da! :D Makes a nice morning shadow over the patio.

post-1035-12671881538958_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I went to get 3 Chambys today from Claytons and I came home with 2 Chamby macs, one Archo alex, one Euterpe edulis and a carpoxylon. This just shows to go, you never never know, if you never never go, and if ac/dc are in town, you never never know what palms you might acquire. Photos soon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I went to get 3 Chambys today from Claytons and I came home with 2 Chamby macs, one Archo alex, one Euterpe edulis and a carpoxylon. This just shows to go, you never never know, if you never never go, and if ac/dc are in town, you never never know what palms you might acquire. Photos soon.

You can say that again!!

Thanks to everyone who has posted pics in this thread. It's great to see what everyone is working on. I made a few early birthday purchases this past week or so. A couple of which have already been planted out. The rest will be planted out as soon as I can get the planter areas ready for them.

Below palms were from Cycads N Palms in Fallbrook. Thanks George!

Foxy Lady

Euterpe Edulis

Psuedophoenix Sargentii

Dypsis Sp. Jurassic Park (this is the small liner in front. It will be a while before I plant him)

post-3101-12672978731973_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the Archontophoenix Purpurea singles in 15 gallons. Huge for their pots! My wonderful wife accompanied me to make the purchase.

post-3101-12672980742085_thumb.jpg

and here's the single Purpurea planted. Chambeyronia Macrocarpa is planted to the left and then a Scheffelera. The other single Purpurea is planted just on the other side of the fence on the left (the back yard).

post-3101-1267298104_thumb.jpg

BEERWAHEART

Scene 22:

The large invading palms of the potted transplant palmies, led by the evil Beccariophoenix, (why everything in this drama begins with the letter "B" is beyond me), line up and face the first planted species of Beerwah,including the young but brave Bizzie and his family of friends. The home palmy stand tense and frightened and ready to pull out and go back to the nursery when out of the blue, the lunatic who is on the grass, mad max beyond thunderbox, the bravest dog in Beerwah, picks up a dead frond in his teeth and runs in front of the trembling Bizzie boys and barks loudly:

The invaders, led by Beccario the Bad

post-51-12673103990398_thumb.jpg.JPG] post-51-12673103853352_thumb.jpg.JPG]

The pitiful home palmy

post-51-12673104937691_thumb.jpg.JPG]

Eyeballing each other

post-51-12673103699514_thumb.jpg.JPG]

From the viewpoint of Carl Smith, things look dire.

post-51-12673104286922_thumb.jpg.JPG]

And here comes Max (Beerwaheart) with his inspirational speech

"Yes. Fight and you may die. Run and you will live, at least awhile. And dying in your pot many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for one chance to come back here as young plants, and tell our enemies that they make take our leaves, but they will never take our FREEDOM "

post-51-12673104153614_thumb.jpg.JPG]

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Another shot of the Archontophoenix Purpurea singles in 15 gallons. Huge for their pots! My wonderful wife accompanied me to make the purchase.

post-3101-12672980742085_thumb.jpg

and here's the single Purpurea planted. Chambeyronia Macrocarpa is planted to the left and then a Scheffelera. The other single Purpurea is planted just on the other side of the fence on the left (the back yard).

post-3101-1267298104_thumb.jpg

Ahhh, the most excellent Ranch Hand was there for full support! :D

Epic storytelling as normal, Wal. :interesting:

looking good, Wal... blank canvas :)

Planted my giant yesterday (tahina, mauritia, caryota ochlandra)... so time to plant my little palms today (dypsis gracilis, dypsis rivularis, pinanga negrosensis and maybe salacca dransfeldii)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Due to heavy downpour, I only managed to plant one palm yesterday, a palm I've never been confident in knowing. I purchased this as Dypsis sp.mayotte, you may recall, anyway, it is finally planted in open spaces and man does it have a vivid white shaft on her, like a footy sock. It has different shorter stubbier leaflets to a lanceolata so I don't know what it is for sure and certain but I'm glad I have it.

post-51-12673527578961_thumb.jpg post-51-12673528071295_thumb.jpg

Here's a few to go in next weekend. Euterpe edulis flanked by two Chamby macs.

post-51-12673528374338_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.