IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms on Deck

ellidro

Spring is almost upon us in this part of the world and I'm getting excited to start planting. Here's my first two palms on deck for planting. Show me yours.

Dypsis baronii/onilahensis type on the left (notice there is no petiole) and Dypsis Cabadae X Decaryi (I think) on the right.

post-611-12664640879727_thumb.jpg

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Nick, Do you just have a nack for finding the best looking palms or what :drool: . I just picked up a TeddyxTriangle and I have a Dypsis Basilonga and my biggest Mad Fox waiting in the wings. I can't wait!!!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Sounds awesome Steve lets see some pics. My secret is pretty simple, I'm always on the prowl and if I come across something I don't have I buy it or trade for it. Palms are really my only vice when it comes to purchases so I don't shy away from the ones I like.

Sooo true! Snag em when you find em cuz if ya snooze ya lose. Hows that Bentinckia Condapanna doing and are you planting it this year? My Neoveitchia Storkii was doing fine until a couple of weeks ago when it went toast :( .

Happy plantings,

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve I don't want want to jinx anything with the Bentinickia but I'll take some pics soon. It has been in the ground since last March or April and has been growing fast. The winter before this it was outside in a pot and looked good all winter. Bummer about the Neoveitchia.

Nick, That is awesome! I have one in Hawaii and it's one of my favorite palms fo sho!

Stevo

Nick, This is the palm I am most excited about planting this year - Johannesteijsmannia perakensis. It's a trunking Joey that is also known as "Joey on a stick". I started them from seeds that were ordered from RPS in 2007. I should be able to plant it sometime in April or May when the rainy season starts again.

Your Dypsis cabadae X decaryi is going to be a killer palm!

post-747-12664727331373_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Nick, This is the palm I am most excited about planting this year - Johannesteijsmannia perakensis. It's a trunking Joey that is also known as "Joey on a stick". I started them from seeds that were ordered from RPS in 2007. I should be able to plant it sometime in April or May when the rainy season starts again.

Beautiful Joey, wish we could grow those here.

And I wish I could grow Ceroxylon, Howea and Rhopalostylis. :)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Nick, Those are 2 killer palms. I love D.baronii's & D.oli's. What could be better than a palm that has both? Dig that cabadae mix too. I have a regular D.cab that is coming along allot better than I thought it would in Cali. The weather has been so warm lately I've been feeling like planting myself.

Great palms. Good luck.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Great palms on deck Nick! Those are ready to go for sure.

I'm still planting stuff right now (Rhopalostylis, Ravenea glauca x hildebrandii). But, I've got a few that I'm waiting on for Spring to warm up enough:

Pseudophoenix ekmanii

Copernicia macroglossa

Dypsis lanceolata fuzzy

Dypsis prestoniana

Wallichia disticha

I can't wait!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

New plantings posts, my favorites. All impressive plants going in. I'm hoping to plant some palms this weekend, likely to be a few different fan palms and a Dypsis or two, will take pics.

Who else has plans to plant soon ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I am almost planting one ravenea rivularis, one brahea armata and one baby bizzie! :drool:

Later i will order some other bigger, like copernicia alba and livistona chinensis.

ALso Rhopalostylis sapida and dypsis decipiens :drool::drool:

Edited by rafael

Some of the ones I plan on planting this spring would be,

Kentiopsis pyriformis 3g...2'

Arenga hookeriana "Trang" 3g...2'

Burretiokentia hapala 20g...8' ( sweet and big! )

Dypsis mananjarensis 7g...3-4'

Heterospathe brevicaulis 10g....5'

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice palms everyone.

I'll be planting a few more palms in the ground as soon as it cools off a bit and the rainy season starts. So far I've landed a couple Borassus flabelifer, from Kris's seeds and a few Syagrus from different sources. Still too warm and rather dry here for other palms...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

I am getting an early start. Today I planted a chambeyronia houailou I got from Shon yesterday, a ravenea xerophylla and added a bunch of stuff to my succulent garden. If I can find the motivation I will take some pics tomorrow.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Go for it Nick! But I am surprised you are waiting. Didn't you say you plant year round?

But heck, I'll bite. I think I'm planting this guy in a little while....

post-27-12665513597535_thumb.jpg

and....

umm, looking for pix of the others.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

uuhhh, still looking for and old pic.

But, I'm giving serious thought to dropping this in soon, much to the chagrin of El Hoagie.

post-27-12665521121291_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I planted a Rhopalostylis Baueri a couple of days ago and a Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii. Both were in 5 gallon pots. I'll post pictures soon of what I've done so far. My wife and I bought our house as a foreclosure last spring, so all of last year I was fixing up the house, building fences and figuring out how I wanted the yard. This week I am covering some large sections of the yard with 30% shade cloth and I'll be planting a lot of stuff under that to protect the new plantings from the summer sun. I have almost no canopy, so that will do for the time being and help everything acclimate a bit.

Got it. Hope to plant this soon....

post-27-12665527639965_thumb.jpg

I planted a Rhopalostylis Baueri a couple of days ago and a Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii. Both were in 5 gallon pots. I'll post pictures soon of what I've done so far. My wife and I bought our house as a foreclosure last spring, so all of last year I was fixing up the house, building fences and figuring out how I wanted the yard. This week I am covering some large sections of the yard with 30% shade cloth and I'll be planting a lot of stuff under that to protect the new plantings from the summer sun. I have almost no canopy, so that will do for the time being and help everything acclimate a bit.

Yay Jason!!

yeah, it feels good to finally go crazy with planting. Hardscaping is done, sprinklers are pretty much done, now it's the fun stuff!

Go for it Nick! But I am surprised you are waiting. Didn't you say you plant year round?

But heck, I'll bite. I think I'm planting this guy in a little while....

post-27-12665513597535_thumb.jpg

and....

umm, looking for pix of the others.

Your right Bill I do plant almost year around. In Jan I planted a 15g Hapala and two weeks ago I planted a Pinanga sp Thai Mottled. Usually I will not plant the tender stuff till late Feb or March but this year I've been breaking all my own rules.

Here's a couple I've already planted, (couldn't wait until spring, not a shred of patience with me!) Large 20 gallon reclinata, (doing much better than my previous.., and large 12' tall washy. I'm waiting until a good solid week or weeks of warm weather before the Bizzy and Juby in pots go in, and finally, a 20 gallon Canary that's already pretty darn big. Can't wait til summer when these pups take off!

-fins up

eric,

beaumont, ca

post-4118-12666016884092_thumb.jpg

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

here's the reclinata

post-4118-12666023636826_thumb.jpg

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

juby, and bizzy

post-4118-12666024321389_thumb.jpg

cidp--bring on the pineapple!

post-4118-12666024702145_thumb.jpg

roystonea regia waiting to be planted also..

post-4118-12666025404724_thumb.jpg

finally, triple cunn. king planted last weekend...

post-4118-12666025973702_thumb.jpg

5 gallon Chambeyronia Houliou. These always seem to have a lean when young. This one was almost sideways in the pot so I just planted it that way

Aaronsyard2010008.jpg

Ravanea Xerophila planted from a liner in my succulent garden

Aaronsyard2010010.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I like the use of D. onilahensis and cycads in the succulent garden.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

And I wish I could grow Ceroxylon, Howea and Rhopalostylis. :)

I guess I have a similar growing problem as Jeff in Costa Rica. MY Ceroxylon amazonicum perished, Howea is on the downhill (doesn't look like it will make it) and as a result I'm almost afraid to try a Rhopalostylis. Those are 3-beautiful palms that are best suited to cooler (but not cold) climates. They certainly don't thrive or even grow in most tropical zones unless you might be in a cooler micro climate zone. I did see a few rather tall Howeas growing infront of Bank of Hawaii in Hilo but they are a bit cooler and rainier so perhaps that makes it possible.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Give Ceroxylon echinulatum a try Al! My neighbor and I both have these growing in inland San Diego and they look perfect. In fact, my neighbor put his in full afternoon sun as a 5 gallon plant and it's doing great. I was really surprised by that. I think it might be a bit more heat tolerant than the others.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Got lots of palms to plant this season. Purchased a 20 gal D. lanceolata for my annual Vietnamese New Years purchase. It will be going into the ground in a week or two. Would post pics, but am having a lot of problems uploading.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Celebration time for me, I have planted my first palms in my new place. Yeeha. Going in were:

From potted collection

Green bizzie

Silver bizzie

Yellow latania

Transplants from old place

Dypsis onilahensis

Dypsis hybrid (red triangle)

Pritchardia minor

Dypsis pilufera (orange crush)

Dypsis carlsmithii

Beccariophoenix alfredii

Next weekend will be another batch and I'll try to get some pics.

Edited by Greenleaf

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Got it. Hope to plant this soon....

post-27-12665527639965_thumb.jpg

Too late. Couldn't wait, post #21 is in the ground! Well, in the box, in the ground. :D

Celebration time for me, I have planted my first palms in my new place. Yeeha. Going in were:

From potted collection

Green bizzie

Silver bizzie

Yellow latania

Transplants from old place

Dypsis onilahensis

Dypsis hybrid (red triangle)

Pritchardia minor

Dypsis pilufera (orange crush)

Dypsis carlsmithii

Beccariophoenix alfredii

Next weekend will be another batch and I'll try to get some pics.

Congrats Wal, looking forward to pix.