IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

EL NINO TO CONTINUE INTO SPRING

happ

"Based on current observations and dynamical model forecasts, El Niño is expected to continue at least into the Northern Hemisphere spring 2010".

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

rainforecastforfeb-mar-apr.gif

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

A sign of seasonal transition is the formation of a marine layer tonight. By late spring\ early summer we are tired of overnight coastal low clouds but in February it signals warmer nights. Winter will re-exert itself w/ storm systems moving in starting this weekend.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It's been very mild with spring like weather in the San Francisco Bay area for the past week with highs of low to mid 70's. Since early Dec when I had two nights down to 24/25F, I don't believe I've had freezing since then. It's very unusual not to have frost in Jan and Feb at my place. All of the early flowering trees are in full bloom and so are my daffodils, but the nice weather is coming to an end today with fronts moving in for the next week.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Light showers overnight produced around a quarter of an inch. Appears somewhat weak systems into this coming week w/o the tropical connection necessary for heavy rainfall. But forecast for March may bring more typical El Nino conditions [strong storms] back to California.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I got a little over 1/2" of rain from the latest storm, but it was very weak with mild temps. with mostly drizzle or very light rain. My nightly minimums for the past 2 months have been well above normal with almost constant cloud cover. Another stronger storm is suppose to move in on Friday.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Happ,

Does this mean we should expect more rain storms in socal and continued lower temps?

- David

David S.

Placentia, CA

Zone 10A

Lat: N 33 ° 53 ' 47 '' ( 33.896 ° )

Lon: W 117 ° 51 ' 33 '' ( -117.859 ° )

Elevation (ft): 325

Happ,

Does this mean we should expect more rain storms in socal and continued lower temps?

- David

David,

The systems coming ashore have been weak but a storm this weekend looks to have better dynamics [ie. colder] so thundershowers could be heavy if you get one. The outlook for March is favorable but this El Nino has been repeatedly interrupted by strange arctic ridging and resulting split jet stream. Subtropical moisture has been unrelenting for Texas\ Gulf Coast. No drought exist over the entire southern half of the U.S. I wonder if the water authority will remove restrictions? Coldest minimums occurred in early December for the West Coast. Overall, temps have been normal since then [40's-low 50's] with the absence of further arctic air. A mild winter but not particularly warm. Let hope frequent showers in March will fill all the reservoirs in California\ Nevada\ Arizona. ;)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

One aspect of this cold overlooked is that places like my coastal town in Tampa Bay will battle the cold GOM. Tuesday we never made it to 70F because the sea breeze kicked in by 12 noon. By 430 sea fog rolled in off the cold waters dropping it to 58F by 5pm, meanwhile Lakeland baked in 80F and at 5pm they were still at 72F. It does keep our nights up but prevents any heat forming during the day. We need heat now for things to grow, and for us to thaw! Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

gsytch,

What you describe is typical of coastal California because the Pacific has a cold but short reach. Temp spreads of over 30 degrees occur within 10 miles from beach to valleys if near mts.

Pretty strong storm offshore w/ a few circulating lows. Rainfall rates should be high for periods. More snow in Sierra Nevada :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

We are having a very strange month and some folks around here are blaming it on El Niño. February is normally one of our hottest and driest months of the year with clear skies and little to no rainfall. Over the past few weeks we have received about 8" (203 mm) of rain and many days have been cloudy.

I seem to be one of the few people who are thankful for the rain and cloudcover. We didn't receive one drop for the first 39 days of 2010 and everything started dying back. Now the rains are making everything nice and green again... even if the tourists don't like it :mrlooney:

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

gsytch,

What you describe is typical of coastal California because the Pacific has a cold but short reach. Temp spreads of over 30 degrees occur within 10 miles from beach to valleys if near mts.

Pretty strong storm offshore w/ a few circulating lows. Rainfall rates should be high for periods. More snow in Sierra Nevada :mrlooney:

My precipitation for 1 july - 28 february, 178 mm / 7.01 inches.

This is normal. In most years it is 6-8 inches. But may be theres precipitation more higher than normal in the area of los angeles and san francisco ?

I can say for here theres no extra precipitation this year of el niño. Some bad storms, yes, but extra precipitation no. And now we go to march, in this month the weather changes. Many times theres rain in the area of los angeles but nothing here only some clouds and wind. I hope we have some more rain for this year, but it is now very late for this.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Cristóbal

San Diego has a little over 8 inches which is slightly above normal. Los Angeles is over 14 inches [4 inches above normal thus far]. This winter has been above normal rainfall but not too much over the norm. Maximum temps for January & Febuary averaged near normal [December was below normal]. Minimums were slightly above normal over the 3 months. Nothing spectacular but if storms continue into March we should end the rain year above normal.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I picked up about 2" in the last week here.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thankfully the pattern favors more storms like several days last week w/ best chance of rain this coming weekend.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I got 3/4" this weekend.

Bill, no rain amounts allowed unless you have a rain gauge. You're wheelbarrow dosen't count.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Happ- As this winter continues, I often thought of the "california" climate! Sunday morning it was still 51F when I woke up. 16 Mi inland it was 37F. Sun afternoon was 61F...Lakeland was 65F and our 61F fell to 58F by 4pm. LORD when will this end? Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Happ- As this winter continues, I often thought of the "california" climate! Sunday morning it was still 51F when I woke up. 16 Mi inland it was 37F. Sun afternoon was 61F...Lakeland was 65F and our 61F fell to 58F by 4pm. LORD when will this end? Greg

Good observation, Greg. The winter pattern over the past 2 months in the Southeast does remind me of California during winter, esp northern California where coconuts will not grow :lol:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I got 3/4" this weekend.

Bill, no rain amounts allowed unless you have a rain gauge. You're wheelbarrow dosen't count.

I have a rain gauge still in the box. Also, I'll have you know I use a 30 gal trashcan thank you very much. :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I got 3/4" this weekend.

How about counting the amount that gets up my nose. That's known as the Padrovich-Boddington method. They won a Nobel Prize for Science with that.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

John, you need an intervention. I'm busy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

John, you need an intervention. I'm busy.

WHOA! I was told I could count on my sponsor. What a load of hooey. :bemused:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Surprised that the rain gauge measured 0.08 from overnight shower [anyone else observe rain?]. All the storms basically wash out south of Pt. Conception but a cold upper low is moving south for more substantial rainfall this weekend. Could experience some chilly post-frontal nights but warmer later next week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Several "waves" of moisture have moved through the Bay Area and N. Calif in the past few days, mostly at night. I can't really call them fronts because they were narrow and moved through fairly fast. There was very little temperature change behind the waves. This morning was the coolest temp. I've had in over a month. It was 38F. My rain total from all these waves was about 1 inch. No freezing temps here since the first part of Dec., and most lows have been in the 48 to 52 F range. Except for early Dec. this has been a very mild winter for N. Calif. Spring is in the air and things are starting to grow, especially my weeds and winter grasses.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Dick,

Even this weekend's storm isn't looking very rainy for Nor Cal but at least the Sierra snowpack is above normal. Love how green the foothills are. In 2 weeks I will visit Anza-Borrego but understand that the wild flowers are peaking right now. Spring is here. :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It was wet this morning but nothing measureable in East County SD.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

No precipitation in Tijuana. Only some clouds and winds.

This is common in this month many months of march are dry. The storms go by LA and San Francisco but not more south.

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Cristóbal

Baja may benefit the most, once the next storm moves ashore. Unfortunately for LA, the bulk of the energy is well offshore and into Baja California. Without the subtropical jet, rainfall is quite limited :bummed:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Nice surprise w/ over an inch of rainfall. Some thundershowers yesterday really helped boost the moisture content followed by gentle rainfall overnight. :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

We got .7" in Spring Valley this weekend.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yikes! A surprise. It's 35.6F in Walnut Creek this morning with frost on the roof tops. This is the first frost here of 2110. Only the mid 50's predicted for a high today. Widely scattered buildups yesterday with only sprinkles, but hail in some areas of the bay area. This could well be the last frost of the year as clouds are supposed to move in later today.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Quick weak storms are moving thru California every few days w/ reinforcing cold air following. NWS_LA issued this concern:

"ALSO WITH THE VERY COLD AIR MASS IN PLACE AND CLEAR SKIES ABOVE...ANY LOCATION THAT HAS CALM WINDS FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME WILL HAVE VERY COLD OVERNIGHT LOWS. SOME COMPUTER MDLS SHOW FREEZING TEMPS IN THE INLAND COASTAL AREAS AND VLYS...THIS IS PROBABLY OVER DONE BUT IT WILL HAVE TO BE MONITORED".

Very windy and chilly today & tomorrow. Recorded 45F\ 7.2C here & it could easily get colder tonight. :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

A high of 60F here today. Brrrrrrr. What is this Florida? :lol: Very windy outside today.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

36.7F at my place this morning, my second coldest temp this year. Not worth freakin' out about, but seems cold for March 10!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Yea....cold here too. Down to 43F. Mighty chilly. Get ready for the big warmup though.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Another cold & windy night. Areas of calm will be very cold w/ frost in inland Santa Barbara county & western San Joaquin valley:

NWS_LA

WITH THE WINDS DIMINISHING...A CHILLY NIGHT IS DEVELOPING FOR THE INTERIOR AND FOR SOME VALLEY LOCATIONS. PATCHY FROST WILL LIKELY DEVELOP FOR MOST INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE AREA...WITH SOME LOCALLY HEAVIER FROST POSSIBLE IN THE OJAI VALLEY AND SOME OF THE EXTREMELY WIND SHELTERED AREAS.

Toasty next week! :wub:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Anyone experience frost this week? So far half the night temps have been below 50F this month in LA. Another very weak storm may manage to hold together past Pt. Concepción tomorrow.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Anyone experience frost this week? So far half the night temps have been below 50F this month in LA. Another very weak storm may manage to hold together past Pt. Concepción tomorrow.

Does frost in Florida when I was there count? :blink:

It's been very mild with spring like weather in the San Francisco Bay area for the past week with highs of low to mid 70's. Since early Dec when I had two nights down to 24/25F, I don't believe I've had freezing since then. It's very unusual not to have frost in Jan and Feb at my place. All of the early flowering trees are in full bloom and so are my daffodils, but the nice weather is coming to an end today with fronts moving in for the next week.

Dick

Hawai'i has had typical El Nino weather for the first part of this year -- 7 weeks of hot and dry weather which we were told might last well into spring because of the warm current effect. I have seen this happen several years here. But two weeks ago the pattern shifted abruptly to coolish and about one inch of rain each day here (most of it at night). But the clouds have been hanging around the Hilo side most days also keeping the sun from warming us up much. Many days have not gone above low 70's, and that feels really cold to us. I even broke down and bought an electric blanket! However most of the rest of the island chain is still way below normal in rainfall -- typical El Nino conditions.

garrin in hawaii

Garrin,

Your getting really soft if you had to buy an electric blanket in Hawaii. Come visit N. Calif. and you will see what cool is really like. I use an old quilt (100 years old from Grandma) and 3 dogs plastered on each side of me and one on my feet to keep me warm. How's that for green heat? rolleyes.gif

Dick

Richard Douglas

El Nino continues to effect Florida. Palm Beach had over 7 inches of rain commencing Thursday night thru Friday.This is normally our dry season but PBI has recorded 15.61 inches so far this year when normal to date is 7.64 inches.The only good news is the cold is gone. By May, we will be crying for it's return.

What you look for is what is looking