IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

what is the best fungicide?

mallett_sj

Okay with all that has been going on around here with the cold weather, I'm looking to see what and if i need to pour some fungicide down the spear area of the palm. I live in the DFW area...well fort worth and would like to know where i can get some and what kind to get.

Thank you,

I recently used Phyton with great success. My Adonidia had contracted this rapidly progressing fungus, and after one treatment with this, it made an amazingly fast turnaround. The only downside is its price ($20 for a 2 fl. oz bottle).

-Michael

It all depends what fungus you're trying to treat. Not all fungicides are broad spectrum and some may only work on one or two species of fungus.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It all depends what fungus you're trying to treat. Not all fungicides are broad spectrum and some may only work on one or two species of fungus.

Best regards

Tyrone

how do i know what specific fungus. I just wanted to apply some in the spear area because of the extreme cold weather we've had here and followed by the large amount of precipitation. Any ideas? an example is that all my other fronds are fine but the new emerging frond is wilted brown

I do know that Phyton is a broad spectrum, systemic fungicide and bactericide so it should hit a wide range of pathogens.

-Michael

alright i went ahead and bought some concentrated Daconil can someone tell me how much i will need to mix with water to pour it down the spear/bud?

Sounds like Bud rot, Daconil wont do anything for 'spear pull'. a common misconception, even I used to pour it down the bud, most of my palms came back, but they probably would have anyway.

I pour HYRODEN PEROXIDE 3% STRENGTH down the bud, the by product after fizzling is straight water, its best to remove the water out the bud with old paper towels or an eye dropper bulb. Keep the bud dry and wait for warmer spring and summer temp to come, the palm should hopefully push a new spear.

READ THIS : http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp144

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

I just used 550g of Banrot on a clients garden which had fungal spear pulls in a few areas. It's good for root rots and those fungi that attack the growing meristem. The spear pulls were peroxided first. Boy they fizzle for a while. I left them for a few hours then drenched the bud and soil with Banrot. Banrot is systemic too, so if it can get into the palm it should make the whole palm resistant to fungal attack.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 4 years later...

Just got off the phone with Jeff Marcus at Floribunda on what to use for my Dypsis decipiens to prevent any fungal problems with my high rainfall levels. I want to do preventative applications before seeing any signs of fungal activity. He agreed that it is not a bad idea, especially with D. decipiens, and that he uses several different products. Here is his choices. Wish someone wanted to split a bottle as most are very expensive.

Pageant fungicide (broad spectrum) spray and drench.

Cleary's Wettable Powder

Manzate

Spray late in the day and not in full sun

a drop or two of liquid soap will help make it stick to leaves.

Hope this info helps.....

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil