IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Negril, Jamaica

Jeff in St Pete

Jeff:

Those are fantastic pictures and really give a great flavor of the west side of Jamaica. I have never been and it is now your fault that I have to go. It looks incredible. You had me right at the beginning with the spicy food. In addition, I am a huge Red Stripe fan. The palms and crotons were magnificient. Thanks again.

You HAVE to go? :) If you like spicy food (especially jerk chicken) and Red Stripe, then you MUST go!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff thanks for posting photos of your trip to Jamaica. There seems to be lots of natural beauty there and the buildings are very colorful as most of the islands and of course Central and South America. You are a good photographer and you frame your photos very well. I hope one day I will be able to visit there.

Thanks David. I appreciate the nice comments.

Jeff,

Thanks for the trip. It looks like a real nice place. I like the look of the hotel you stayed at.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jeff,

Sorry Tensing pen.

Thanks Bob, glad you enjoyed them!

Tom, which hotel are you referring to? Tensing Pen or Villas Sur Mer? I stayed at two different places.

Thanks Ari!

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Thanks for those great pictures Jeff. Now I really need to take a trip to Jamaica myself. Another one one the places to go list. :rolleyes:

Laura

Thanks everyone.

Tom, the swimming was easy from Tensing Pen. There were a few different access ladders to the water and lots of sunning platforms along the edge of the cliffs. Continental breakfast is included in the rates (fresh fruits, toast, jams, Blue Mountain coffee). They also have a full service restaurant serving lunch and dinner.

I would recommend one of the Pillar cottages for you and your wife. They are very romantic and have the best ocean views.

Rockhouse has a nicer cove for swimming and the water is more calm there for snorkeling. I think the rates are similar.

Tensing Pen

Rockhouse

Fantastic stuff Jeff.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That was a fantastic travel log! I enjoyed it thoroughly & have added Jamaica to my places to visit. You lead a charmed life my friend :winkie:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Thanks Keith

Luke, When lethal yellowing hit, I was still going there every Winter. I remember one year I took a para-sailing ride along the coast and I could see a line of yellow palms along the beach. At the time I didn't know what was happening. Within a year or two, all of the coconuts lining the beach were gone.

Bren, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Charmed life? I wouldn't say it's charmed, but I'm having a great time. :)

Jeff

Thanks for the wonderful traveloge of Jamaica. I'm curious if philodendron is cut away from the palms eventually?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ, I'm not sure if they cut the Philodendrons. The place was kind of in disrepair and there was only one employee that I could see. It would be a big job (and expensive) to keep all of them trimmed since they are growing up most of the Royals in the Reserve. That one employee collected our money, asked if we wanted a guided tour (we declined) and then I didn't see him again to ask him any questions afterwards.

Linda, glad you enjoyed it!

Wow, those places built right on the rocks and cliff edges are beautiful! Nice to see the photos after hearing the description from you. Looks like another great place to visit.

Too bad you have to suffer so much after the vacation and head back to Manuel Antonio. :lol:

I came back home and got a nice face tan shoveling snow for 3 days.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Mark, at least you got away during a bad week in your neck of the woods.

The West End of Negril is the best place in my opinion. The beach properties are nice, but the cliff properties in the West End are amazing. Jamaica will always be my favorite island.

While having breakfast at the LTU Pub on my last day, some of the locals asked me if I was going back to cold weather and snow. When I told them I was going home to Costa Rica, they didn't have any sympathy for me... :)

Like Rafael I got hooked on the tropical look in Jamaica. i lived there for a couple of months as an adolecent in 1972-3. I was near the top of the mountains over Mo Bay. Not only do I have a tropical garden with tons of palms, epiphyts etc. but 2 of my 3 children are black. Yes it was a good time there. I remember Negril being a lot diferent. I only remember there being beach there with some huts. Thaks for the photos. Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Like Rafael I got hooked on the tropical look in Jamaica. i lived there for a couple of months as an adolecent in 1972-3. I was near the top of the mountains over Mo Bay. Not only do I have a tropical garden with tons of palms, epiphyts etc. but 2 of my 3 children are black. Yes it was a good time there. I remember Negril being a lot diferent. I only remember there being beach there with some huts. Thaks for the photos. Jason

What a good surprise Jason!

Jamaica is in my heart!

Hi Jason, the beach in Negril was like that until the early 90's when the all-inclusive resorts started popping up all the way down a once deserted stretch of beach. The beach area has changed considerably since then.

Whucha doin eatin dem greazy fries bwoy!?!! Eatup ya rice an peas!

I just polished off some brown stew chicken, your awesome thread inspired my lunch today! I can't believe I missed this coverage of your excursion... Kinda made me envious. Looks like an awesome laid back vacation, I can almost feel that island time.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Bill, we had brown stew chicken for dinner one night while we were there. It was good, but kind of bland. I prefer spicy jerk chicken. Regarding Island Time - they have a saying in Jamaica "soon come" which means that you will be waiting anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour!

Overgrown, glad you enjoyed the photos!