IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 5th, 6th & 7th 2010 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Our special guest from California will be arriving in approx. 24 hours. BS Man is so excited, he's practically wetting himself. :drool: Get a good night sleep big guy.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Our special guest from California will be arriving in approx. 24 hours. BS Man is so excited, he's practically wetting himself. :drool: Get a good night sleep big guy.....

You Betcha!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

with the motivated TikiRiki wearing cleats and throwing elbows.

haha, that's a funny visual. I see him wearing a mouth piece too, just blasting grannies out the way. Way super serious. :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Was the serious lack of pics just to get me to drive down? If so it worked.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

A few more photos for the plant hungry and request driven out there from today. All the familiar plant groups are ready for Friday morning including a few new ones. There will be a few surprises as usual, placed around the sales area.

- The species loaded on the tables have their signs up. This was taken just after the sprinklers shut off for that rainforest look.

RDG2010-03-02_14-05-45.jpg

- Looking in from the side entrance to the main shadehouse...

RDG2010-03-02_14-06-11.jpg

- This is half of the full sun palm area...

RDG2010-03-02_14-06-26.jpg

- ...and part of the other half, showing a group of Teddy Bear Palms, Dypsis leptocheilos in 25 gallon pots. $100.00

RDG2010-03-02_14-06-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Fuzzy goodness...

RDG2010-03-02_14-07-23.jpg

- The section for the landscape ornamentals was completed and chocked full of plants, block by block...

RDG2010-03-02_14-08-00.jpg

- Old Man Palms, Coccothrinax crinita -3G $45.00 -10G $100.00 ...and no, the big one in the ground is not for sale... You would be surprised how many people ask.

RDG2010-03-02_14-09-21.jpg

- A closeup shot of the plants for sale...

RDG2010-03-02_14-10-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Will the heat be on in the main shade house?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

- Stromanthe sanguinea cv. Triostar -3G $12.00

RDG2010-03-02_14-10-48.jpg

- The shadehouse intersection gets a little more reorganization and cleaning before Friday...

RDG2010-03-04_10-29-17.jpg

- Coccothrinax saxicola -7G $75.00 A surprise request for an interesting species that is often overlooked by collectors...

RDG2010-03-04_14-27-42.jpg

- The beginning of the full sun palm section, starting off with Pseudophoenix sargentii -25G $180.00 Pseudophoenix vinifera -10G $100.00

RDG2010-03-04_14-29-19.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- With a strong request, a pair of Mealybug Palms, Dypsis mananjarensis, made their way to the front table for the Spring Extravaganza with a larger one to give collectors a glimpse of what they have to look forward to...

RDG2010-03-04_14-25-42.jpg

- They are in one gallon pots for $100.00 each...

RDG2010-03-04_14-25-22.jpg

- "Look, but don't touch." The larger one is for eye-candy only and is not for sale.

RDG2010-03-04_14-26-38.jpg

- The last group of plants to get pulled and arranged were the Bromeliads. The process continued through most of the day.

RDG2010-03-04_14-35-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The Bamboo section was moved from behind the BBQ area to across from the holding area.

RDG2010-03-04_14-36-59.jpg

- Lychee 'Hak Ip' -3G $35.00

RDG2010-03-04_14-39-14.jpg

- Oodles of Orchids... The majority are intergeneric hybrids and a few other unique specimens. They are in small pots and are either $20.00 or $25.00, with a lavender tag.

RDG2010-03-04_14-40-59.jpg

RDG2010-03-04_14-41-31.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Nun's Orchid, Phaius tankervilleae, -3G $20.00

RDG2010-03-04_14-42-08.jpg

- Entering the shadehouse, the first area on the right has a new spread of tropical plants...

RDG2010-03-04_14-42-49.jpg

- Various Begonias, -4 inch $12.00

RDG2010-03-04_14-43-01.jpg

- The Aroid tables include a variety of different species and popular cultivars, they range from $9.00 - $12.00

RDG2010-03-04_14-43-34.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

omg!!! its happening now & i'm stuck in the frozen northern plains! :angry:

ask bs man to bring me a coccothrinax & some croutons!have fun ya'll!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

What a cold morning...but nothing could stop the regulars.

Judy Glock helped me find more crotons...good to see BS Man...Jeff & Andrea ,Ryan, Jim G.,Rob

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

If I don't recognize you, PLEASE introduce yourself While I'm there! Sick- were you there?

Awesome stuff I saw today that I would kill for in California...(sizewise)

BS Man

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

yes i was bright and early about 11 am picked up the 2 sargentii 25 gallon and a dictosperma are you there all weekend bs

Edited by sick1166
  • Upvote 2

Sorry Sick, checking in once a night, but yep, I'm here all 3 days. Coming tomorrow?

We made it to the sale! In spite of the wheelchair. I just couldn't miss it.

And the haul!! Oh my - I've gotta post pics as soon as I get batts for the camera. First and most important of all - I now have a large D. onilahensis, still - and always - my favorite palm. It has been beautifully grown, and it will be cherished.

Grabbed 2 D. ambositraes, that were in Ryan's post. I've been bugging Jeff about these for quite awhile. And now, they're here in my house. Beauties! Everyone should have at least one ambositrae.

Then there are the baby palmies - I finally have a Kerriodoxa! AND a L. peltata sumawonga. We'll have to build a shadehouse/screenroom thing to protect them from the sun and the bugs this summer (if it ever comes).

Kewl find: I'd been trying to get a very red cordyline, couldn't find it anywhere although I'd looked all over. So - the very first thing we see when we get to the shadehouse is.... the red cordy! And into the cart it went yeeeeeehawwwww!

Then the husband anxiously went to check on the croton situation - this is a guy who thought he didn't like crotons. And came back with a favorite: Charles Rutherford - how did the Friday crowds miss that??

And in addition to the snatchin' and grabbin' we got to ogle all the gorgeousness in and around the shadehouse...

BS Man was there! Thanks for pointing out the beautiful K. piersoniorum, Bill - it's a dream palm. Also got to meet Rainforest Robert from Trinidad, and see Jeff & Andrea and Ryan, and Jim & Judy - always so nice to see them. Had a great time at the sale as always, so glad we got to go.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

What a cold morning...but nothing could stop the regulars.

Judy Glock helped me find more crotons...good to see BS Man...Jeff & Andrea ,Ryan, Jim G.,Rob

Mike - You must have jumped the fence. By 8:07 am your cart was fully loaded. You got some real nice cultivars! I went through your cart when you were not looking! laugh.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Sorry Sick, checking in once a night, but yep, I'm here all 3 days. Coming tomorrow?

Is Bill still in the shade house continuing his pontification on the genus Dypsis? blink.gif

Moose knuckle,

What time did you get there. I think I saw you sneak in 20 min before 8am.

I racked up myself. I grabbed every licuala that I do not have already. I got a beccariopheonix coastal form and a Dypsis ovobontsira that I have been eyeing for years.

Mike - You must have jumped the fence. By 8:07 am your cart was fully loaded. You got some real nice cultivars! I went through your cart when you were not looking! laugh.gif

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Moose knuckle,

What time did you get there. I think I saw you sneak in 20 min before 8am.

I racked up myself. I grabbed every licuala that I do not have already. I got a beccariopheonix coastal form and a Dypsis ovobontsira that I have been eyeing for years.

Is Bill still in the shade house continuing his pontification on the genus Dypsis? blink.gif

Wait.blink.gif

Where did all the people go?huh.gif

They were just here when I turned my back a couple days ago....rock.gif

BUT, I did get 11 palms planted at Jeffs nursery, so we can see them get big..(no boxes!!)

Is Bill still in the shade house continuing his pontification on the genus Dypsis?

Wait.

Where did all the people go?huh.gif

They were just here when I turned my back a couple days ago....rock.gif

BUT, I did get 11 palms planted at Jeffs nursery, so we can see them get big..(no boxes!!)

You didn't bring any gophers for Jeff? We don't have gophers here, you California guys are so selfish. We want to be able to plant in boxes in the ground too! blink.gif

SunnyFl - I saw the Charles Rutherfords as well and could not figure for the life of me why they had not been snatched up. Here is a list of cultivars that I managed to make it into my cart:

Jungle Queen

Lord Bellhaven

President Reagan

Glenn Roof

Yellow Mrs. Iceton

Judy's Beauty - named after IPS member Judy Glock rolleyes.gif

Leo Pardia

Pop's Yard

Fishbone

Purity

Jean Frances Fascell

and... Lemon & Lime

cool.gif

Wow, that's a terrific haul! And you got the Pop's Yard - that's a beautiful croton.

Do you have a pic of Judy's Beauty?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

ok BS man,lets see some pix from the sale & show us yer swag!!! :drool:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.