IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 5th, 6th & 7th 2010 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection® presents...

The 12th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza!

March 5th, 6th & 7th 2010

╠═══════════════════════════════════════════════╣

post-24-12658412455666_thumb.jpg post-24-12658412602165_thumb.jpg post-24-12658412754267_thumb.jpg post-24-12658412976582_thumb.jpg

Spring is here at last! Hopefully (crosses fingers) those of us here in South Florida will not see any more severe cold heading down our way. Our environment had experienced a record breaking freeze for the first time in almost 20 years and its time to trim the cold damage and to begin to plant again. The shadehouses have had their plastic protection removed in preparation for plant selection which has already begun. There will be a bounty of familiar plants mixed with a few new surprises scattered around the sales area. In addition to the great selection of palm species that are regularly put on display at the Extravaganzas; there has been a strong push to bring a greater diversity of other plant groups to the event, such as orchids, flowering trees and bamboo.

The spring and fall Plant Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm enthusiasts to meet and greet in the South Florida area. They have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for friends and family. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Spring Extravaganza as I can, but if you see something that is missing and should be added, please let me know…

South Florida Location:

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

6640 SW 172nd Avenue

Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Western Broward County

see map below...

Spring 2010 Schedule:

Friday, March 5th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, March 6th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, March 7th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Our famous Free BBQ Lunch: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) – (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM)

post-24-12658410886679_thumb.jpg post-24-12658411062625_thumb.jpg post-24-12658411317452_thumb.jpg

Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681

Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750

Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com Private Message: PM Jeff Searle

Ryan Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net

Directions:

This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines, as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. Follow the link below for a satellite map of the nursery's location:

Link: Google Maps - Searle Brothers Nursery,Inc.

scan0004.jpg

post-24-12658409529529_thumb.jpg post-24-12658409645666_thumb.jpg post-24-12658409776342_thumb.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability, a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads, crotons and other information regarding which plants will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process will start soon and will continue right up to the last day before the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) Special selections might be pulled for sale with suggestions, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species and varieties that will be only available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Certain plant groups have been relocated around the sales area, so in order to speed your way to your favorite plants, ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale which I would be able to post for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the name(s) if you would like photos of specific plants or members of a plant genus. Sale booklets will be made available at the Extravaganza; they will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Holders located at both entrances to the main shade house will have the booklets on display. As soon as I have a basic list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

post-24-12658414870308_thumb.jpg post-24-12658415294018_thumb.jpg post-24-12658415506463_thumb.jpg

Selected Plant Groups:

Palms:

Aroids:

Bamboo:

Bromeliads:

Cycads:

Crotons:

Cordylines:

Heliconias, Gingers:

Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees, Shrubs and Vines:

Landscape Ornamentals:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and many more: There is always a chance a new species of plant will make its way to the sales area.

post-24-12658417244463_thumb.jpg post-24-1265841794754_thumb.jpg post-24-12658418671361_thumb.jpg post-24-12658417455952_thumb.jpg

The Sale Flyer:

The nursery will mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list starting the beginning of next week. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to me with your address.

Plant Carts:

We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. They do go quickly in the morning of each day as soon as the gates open. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the registers.

post-24-12658408295087_thumb.jpg post-24-12658408508183_thumb.jpg

Accommodations:

There is a very nice hotel within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the Extravaganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Link: Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines

╔══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦══╗

╠══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬══╣

╚══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩══╝

Previous Extravaganza:

The 11th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza this past October saw a huge resurgence in admiration for select plant groups, especially in crotons. I had never before seen such fervor in buying croton cultivars. There were also many instances of cross-group enthusiasm involving palm fanatics getting into crotons, exotic flowering tree collectors falling in love with various orchids, and so on and vice-versa. Forum members attended in large numbers to the point where I could not photograph them all, even though I tried. To re-visit the Extravaganza from last fall, follow the link below:

Link: Topic featuring the 11th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza

RDG2009-10-03_13-12-39.jpg

RDG2009-10-03_11-20-09.jpg

RDG2009-10-02_10-24-43.jpg

Information and Invitation:

If you need any more information regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included here, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. I will be posting an additional notice in the Calendar section that can be viewed. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle. We have been repeatedly surprised at the distances covered by some of our customers. The entire Searle family and our loads of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there! :D

post-24-12658406086931_thumb.jpg post-24-12658406243197_thumb.jpg post-24-12658406381992_thumb.jpg

╠═══════════════════════════════════════════════╣

Ryan

South Florida

Will the palms for sale have spears? :D /jk When will you have a list of what is for sale and sizes?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Will the palms for sale have spears? :D /jk When will you have a list of what is for sale and sizes?

I like to get the list done as soon as I can, usually about a week out from the start of the Extravaganza. That has been the average over the years. I will post a notice when I have the list completed.

Ryan

South Florida

I know a certain species of Licuala that they might be running short of this year, due to seed theives!!!! :rage:

Caught in the act!

post-126-12659190593488_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Ryan,

Thanks for posting at least a few pictures -- I had forgotten what green/healthy palm & plant leaves look like!!! rolleyes.gifmrlooney.gif (especially since I just endured the dreaded/predicted 30 day period after the cold snap during which things continued to deteriorate and/or show damage rage.gif ).

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Ryan,

Thanks for posting at least a few pictures -- I had forgotten what green/healthy palm & plant leaves look like!!! rolleyes.gifmrlooney.gif (especially since I just endured the dreaded/predicted 30 day period after the cold snap during which things continued to deteriorate and/or show damage rage.gif ).

Tim

Ditto that...

One of these days I am getting to one of these sales! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I know a certain species of Licuala that they might be running short of this year, due to seed theives!!!! :rage:

Caught in the act!

i was actually putting those seeds BACK. :innocent:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Caught in the act!

i was actually putting those seeds BACK. :innocent:

Paul,

No need to explain, I would trust you with my daughter's Barbie doll collection, but Matty on the other hand..... :floor:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

and once again, i would absolutely make the trip to florida to attend this sale, but have to work that weekend. I am going to get to one of these eventually!

post-24-1265841794754_thumb.jpg

That was the cordie I wanted to buy! And probably a couple others...

D---!! First time in the years that I've been going, I don't think I can be there. Was counting the days, but.....

:bummed: :bummed: :bummed:

sux. especially after this awful winter.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Who's butt do you have to kiss to get in early? unsure.gif That 7:58 am crowd on Friday gets pretty ugly! devil.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Probably the day OF....is when the booklet will be ready. Were waiting for as many spears to emerge as possible! :blink:

I'm about 2/3 rd's the way through.....

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dusting off my cleats and elbow pads. :drool:

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

The Sale Flyer:

Here is a scanned copy of the Extravaganza Flyer that was mailed out about a week ago. Everyone on the mailing list hopefully got their copy by now. If you have not received one, let me know and I shall remedy the situation.

The palm and cycad availability list is almost complete. I will start a message topic with the list as soon as it gets processed and will email it to those who have already requested it.

scan.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

"Stop the Presses"!! BS Man returns!

I found someone to watch my place and keep some stuff safe, so I'm on my way again! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Better get some sun on those legs or you'll just burn the whole time. Pics comin soon Ryan?

Edited by Shon

San Marcos CA

"Stop the Presses"!! BS Man returns!

I found someone to watch my place and keep some stuff safe, so I'm on my way again! :D

:drool:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Ohhhhhhh,no! My Florida trip is planned for 19 days latter....sad.gif Why you guys rush so muchlaugh.gifrolleyes.gifsad.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

due to the recent cold spell in florida. and right now a pocket full of cash . i look forward to buying lots of palms and assorted tropicals for replacement in my gardens YAHOO first palm sale of the year and one of the best collections around countin down the days

Jeff and Mark,

If I were on the East Coast, I'd be there for sure. It looks like it'll be a great event as always with lots of eager enthusiasts. I'd love to see all those great Crotons and Bromeliads. Show pictures if possible. Also, are you going to have those huge Licualas again? Unusual Dypsis?

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Ryan and Jeff,

This is one of the most low-key buildups to these annual sales that I can remember. I have become accustomed to photos of the most exotic and attractive palms available. I have become accustomed to drool sliding onto my keyboard as I oogle species that I dream of acquiring one day. Heck, in a year when I will not be attending the biennial, following the palm sales is my next best PRA option! And what do I get? Just a tease and eager forum members .... Come on Jeff and Ryan, post some pics, or I will have to travel up to SW Ranches myself, camera in hand, to check out the action.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

The photos are coming! :lol:

The first batch of photos are being uploaded now actually and will be posted soon. I was just waiting as long as I could to get as many requests fit into one trip to the nursery. I got some of them done yesterday before I had to head home to watch a hockey game.

-> I have the first draft version of the sale list ready for anyone else who would like for me to PM/email them a copy.

Ryan

Ryan and Jeff,

This is one of the most low-key buildups to these annual sales that I can remember. I have become accustomed to photos of the most exotic and attractive palms available. I have become accustomed to drool sliding onto my keyboard as I oogle species that I dream of acquiring one day. Heck, in a year when I will not be attending the biennial, following the palm sales is my next best PRA option! And what do I get? Just a tease and eager forum members .... Come on Jeff and Ryan, post some pics, or I will have to travel up to SW Ranches myself, camera in hand, to check out the action.

Robert

South Florida

Here are some photos from yesterday, Friday, as the sales area is slowly being formed and filled with plants. There is a lot more setting up to take place, but it is on schedule.

- The landscape ornamental plants are getting arranged into their groups and blocks along the main road. It is interesting to watch, as everything usually comes together like clockwork.

RDG2010-02-26_12-01-38.jpg

- Ahhh... The Main Shade House. The rare and unusual of the palm world take their place along the sidewalk. It was actually warm again in the shadehouse and it felt quite nice.

RDG2010-02-26_12-02-48.jpg

RDG2010-02-26_12-02-56.jpg

- The croton area is smaller this Spring, but there are definitely some interesting culivars to choose from.

RDG2010-02-26_12-03-14.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The beginning of the requests were easy as they included "anything nice".

- An aroid high on the list of "want to see" subjects: Variegated Swiss Cheese Plant, Monstera deliciosa. 3G $45.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-03-42.jpg

- Licuala ramsayi 10 G $200.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-05-03.jpg

RDG2010-02-26_12-05-23.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Metroxylon vitiense 15 G $150.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-06-28.jpg

- Nicely armed leaf bases...

RDG2010-02-26_12-06-55.jpg

- Licuala peltata var. sumawongii 1G $15.00 3G $45.00 7G $150.00 10G $250.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-07-27.jpg

- The tables are primed with many gallon-sized rarities, the table upfront still has room for a few more ultra rare species, of each some will be only have one specimen available.

RDG2010-02-26_12-07-43.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Phoenicophorium borsigianum 3G $75.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-08-17.jpg

- Lytocaryum hoehnei 7G $45.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-09-32.jpg

- (Left) Dypsis prestoniana 1G $20.00 3G $125.00

- Dypsis ambositrae 4 Inch $15.00 3G $60.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-11-08.jpg

- Red emergent petiole and rachis on one of the 3 gallon Dypsis ambositrae...

RDG2010-02-26_12-11-21.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A view of the sidewalk intersection seen looking from the west side...

RDG2010-02-26_12-11-51.jpg

- Turning around 180º, this is looking towards the west entrance from the intersection. There are a few more plants coming to fill the sidewalk in the days before the first day of the Extravaganza...

RDG2010-02-26_12-12-00.jpg

- Croton "Wooten's Beauty" 3G $15.00

RDG2010-02-26_12-13-19.jpg

- All the carts and trailers get their tires checked in preparation for next weekend...

RDG2010-02-26_12-16-14.jpg

As I fill more requests I will have more photos to post in addition to more photos of the sales area getting completed. If you have any more requests please post them or send them to me.

Ryan

South Florida

Everything looks really good Jeff and Ryan. Take care of the BS man for us Cali guys, no unicycle this time.

San Marcos CA

Hey Bill, great to hear that you are coming down. drool.gif I look forward to seeing you again!!! Any chance you can sneak me in the side gate? Jeff never hooks me up and makes me wait outside just like any other customer. sad.gif

I predict that there will not be a single croton cultivar left by 8:35 am. Especially with the motivated TikiRiki wearing cleats and throwing elbows. mrlooney.gif

Hey Bill, great to hear that you are coming down. drool.gif I look forward to seeing you again!!! Any chance you can sneak me in the side gate? Jeff never hooks me up and makes me wait outside just like any other customer. sad.gif

I predict that there will not be a single croton cultivar left by 8:35 am. Especially with the motivated TikiRiki wearing cleats and throwing elbows. mrlooney.gif

I've got to make sure Jeff lets ME in...:unsure:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I've got to make sure Jeff lets ME in...:unsure:

Ok....Ok, come to side gate, there you will see a combination lock and chain. The combination is 23-14-19.Just don't tell anyone else the combo, ok? Happy now?

On a serious note, the sale is really shaping up nicely. Were going to have a great selection of palms to Lychees, to a really beautiful selection of Bromeliads to even Gerber Daisys.Ficus dammaropsis, Nun's orchids, Anthuriums, Philodendrons and Alocasias. A real nice selection of plant material to help replace things that were lost due to our recent cold weather. I hope to see many of you come out, and look forward to those that have sent PM's already.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This will be my first time at Jeff's sale.

I hope I am not too fragile for the Friday morning rush.

Linda

Wear a flourescent orange vest like Moose does, everyone will keep a safe distance :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

This will be my first time at Jeff's sale.

I hope I am not too fragile for the Friday morning rush.

Linda

Wear a flourescent orange vest like Moose does, everyone will keep a safe distance biggrin.gif

Any chance there is a croton cultivar availability list ready? rolleyes.gif

I bet there is going to be quite a few PalmTalk members there as usual! laugh.gif

I wonder if we will see Meg? unsure.gif

I bet there is going to be quite a few PalmTalk members there as usual! laugh.gif

I wonder if we will see Meg? unsure.gif

Ron, I wish but not this time. I'm hoping to go to fall sale.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'll be there Ron. Hopefully I'll make it there around 8.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County