IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coffee grounds around your palms?

JayW

I had some issues with Scale this summer around a Sabal Minor and a small Sabal Palmetto. I've since mulched with Coffee grounds since I hear it works well with Cycads. Anyone else use it around actual palms for mulch? Here's a link talking about using if for Scale: http://www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

Zone 9 Central Florida

Absolutely. I collect used coffee grounds from work, dry them and sprinkle them around my palms, whether in pots or ground. I sometimes mix it into my potting mix. I also dry used teabags and sprinkle the tea leaves into my mix. Where I live in SW FL the soil is very alkaline which most palms hate. The acids in the coffee grounds neutralize alkalinity and enrich my lousy soil. Tea and coffee grounds have substances that promote plant growth and health, as well as repelling pests. Just skip the cream and sugar.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I am sold. My wife and I drink coffee like a couple of banshees. And don't forget that its great for recycling as well.

Manny

This has been the topic of discussion a few times here. Coffee grounds are an excellent organic source of micronutrients that adds acid to our alkaline soils, where appropriate. Starbucks has a program that is called "Grounds for the Gardener" and routinely packages grounds in foil bags that hold up to 5 pounds. Not all Starbucks participate, as it is up to the individual manager of that store.

I literally throw the grounds all over the palms and cycads, some of which land right into the apex of the cycad. It also helps repel snails, slugs, mites, aphids, and scale.

In addition, it adds a nice coffee scent in the garden...if you like coffee!

Try it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Most definitely. I religiously used them around one of my Chambeyronia's last year as a test and it is by far the best looking palm of the lot. Its high in nitrogen I believe. No real danger of burning the roots so you can basically apply as much as you see fit! However, I don't put too much of it in one area as it can create a barrier that impedes water.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

I've actually been doing this for sometime and it works very well using my local Starbucks stuff. That being said. Sometimes I don't use the whole bag. When I get to it later (weeks) it often has some mold/fungus on the grounds. I've never put that ON my plants, I either put it into my green waste, or in the mulch somewhere. Any thoughts on the mold issue folks?:blink:

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good! I feel better now knowing that's it's ok for palms as well as Cycads. I figured it was, but it's always nice to have some confirmation. I think I'm going to add some to my other palms tomorrow, even though they don't have any issues with scale.

Zone 9 Central Florida

I've actually been doing this for sometime and it works very well using my local Starbucks stuff. That being said. Sometimes I don't use the whole bag. When I get to it later (weeks) it often has some mold/fungus on the grounds. I've never put that ON my plants, I either put it into my green waste, or in the mulch somewhere. Any thoughts on the mold issue folks?:blink:

Tis fine to use the moldy coffee grounds I think. I ran into that problem on a number of applications and my Chambey didnt suffer one bit. Use at your discretion though!

• Upvote 1

Michael Ferreira

Does anyone know if the benefits of coffee grounds diminish if the grounds are not used right away? (I've got some left-over from last summer that I got from Starbucks & I don't know if I should go ahead and use it or if they are no longer any "good").

Thanks...

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Does anyone know if the benefits of coffee grounds diminish if the grounds are not used right away? (I've got some left-over from last summer that I got from Starbucks & I don't know if I should go ahead and use it or if they are no longer any "good").

Thanks...

Tim

Use em.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Decaf or Regular?

Extra Strong! lol. In all seriousness. Doesn't matter. I collect mine from work so I get a variety of different blends, including tea. It all works out fine.

Michael Ferreira

I've been using coffee grounds for years, especially the Cyrtostachys rendas. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

I guess the only questions I would have are these:

What about the "flavored" coffees, since I am a fan of Hazelnut, and at times buy the pre flavored grounds. Are those OK / just as good?

The other question is, what about using on potted palms, and indoor potted palms? Good for the palms as well? Potted cycads as well?

Thanks!

I used coffee grounds on some of my cycads that had scale and them and knocked the scale right out. I was thinking of adding the coffee grounds to my composter to kick it up a notch, but will it effect all the earthwoms my kids dug up and put in there for me? They seem awfull happy in there right now. (The worms, not the kids) :mrlooney:

What about the "flavored" coffees, since I am a fan of Hazelnut, and at times buy the pre flavored grounds. Are those OK / just as good?

The other question is, what about using on potted palms, and indoor potted palms? Good for the palms as well? Potted cycads as well?

Thanks!

Figures a Capitals fan would drink "flavored" coffee (sorry I couldn't resist!) :D I don't know about the flavoring though, but I get about 10lbs a week from Starbucks & spread it around. It kinda offsets the $3.00 cup of coffee.

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Thanks!

I've used hazelnut, french vanilla, etc all mixed up and slapped them in the ground. no ill effects. Palm liked it.

Potted palms...not too sure. Never tried but would probably work if some real soil was incorporated in the mix. Would prolly help to control any bug problems on potted palms though!

• Upvote 1

Michael Ferreira

I used coffee grounds on some of my cycads that had scale and them and knocked the scale right out. I was thinking of adding the coffee grounds to my composter to kick it up a notch, but will it effect all the earthwoms my kids dug up and put in there for me? They seem awfull happy in there right now. (The worms, not the kids) :mrlooney:

I tend to see more earthworms around the area I dump my coffee grounds in. They seem to like a pick me up also! lol

Michael Ferreira

Aren't we hilarious us palm people. We tend to our palms, get on International message boards and talk about them, fertilise them, worry about them when it's too cold/dry/hot etc, and give them a coffee every now and again. The coffee is probably good aromatherapy for them.

I'm going to have to try it in my garden. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks!

Figures a Capitals fan would drink "flavored" coffee (sorry I couldn't resist!) :D I don't know about the flavoring though, but I get about 10lbs a week from Starbucks & spread it around. It kinda offsets the $3.00 cup of coffee.

Hey now! I resemble that remark! lol! Not sure what it's supposed to mean, but I resemble it. :lol:

Does the Starbucks down there give the grounds away for nothing? Just curious because that program is news to me. I have not heard of any starbucks up here doing it.

And just for posterity, LET'S GO CAPS ! ! ! 12 wins in a row baby!!!! :yay::greenthumb:

Thanks!

Hey now! I resemble that remark! lol! Not sure what it's supposed to mean, but I resemble it. :lol:

Does the Starbucks down there give the grounds away for nothing? Just curious because that program is news to me. I have not heard of any starbucks up here doing it.

And just for posterity, LET'S GO CAPS ! ! ! 12 wins in a row baby!!!! :yay::greenthumb:

I've been getting mine from Starbucks for free. They also seemed quite happy to be getting rid of it!

Zone 9 Central Florida

I have been using coffee grinds. It seems to green up some palms. As a test, I took a beat up yellowed parlor palm and placed it in pure coffee grinds. It is three times the size in about six months and is now dark green. There are two problems: the coffee will stain clay pots and nonpainted surfaces and it attracts bugs.

Jeff

North Florida

I've started adding it around one of my large P. sylvestris as it is being affected by the alkalinity of nearby (3 year old) poured concrete. Hope it works.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks!

I've used hazelnut, french vanilla, etc all mixed up and slapped them in the ground. no ill effects. Palm liked it.

Potted palms...not too sure. Never tried but would probably work if some real soil was incorporated in the mix. Would prolly help to control any bug problems on potted palms though!

Hey Thank you very much! How long have you been using the flavored grounds? Just curious.

The worms love it. I have a kitchen waste/worm farm and I throw the coffee grounds along with the filter in everyday.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I used coffee grounds on some of my cycads that had scale and them and knocked the scale right out. I was thinking of adding the coffee grounds to my composter to kick it up a notch, but will it effect all the earthwoms my kids dug up and put in there for me? They seem awfull happy in there right now. (The worms, not the kids) mrlooney.gif

BTW - I tried this on a cactus that had scale. No effect on the scale and but it did kill the cactus.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

DCA.........

Almost all the Starbucks here in Baltimore give away the free grounds; they're usually in a bucket right inside the door! I've used it on C Renda, L Mapu, C Borhidiana, A Catechu, etc. and others (all in pots) with good effects.

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

im a huge fan of coffee grounds as a soil amendment. I often find worms right at the surface of the soil feeding on them. This helps trigger a process that will improve the natural health of your soil as the resulting worm "castings" are a nutrient rich organic fertilizer and soil conditioner.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

I had the pleasure of going to Tom Broomes place in January and saw his setup just as he wrote in the article, works great and is cheap!

The coffee grounds work very well . I get them in ten pound bags from my daughter-inlaw, she works at a local starbucks .the are available to the all if you ask .just put them around palms and bananas the work into ground good luck

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

I used coffee grounds on some of my cycads that had scale and them and knocked the scale right out. I was thinking of adding the coffee grounds to my composter to kick it up a notch, but will it effect all the earthwoms my kids dug up and put in there for me? They seem awfull happy in there right now. (The worms, not the kids) mrlooney.gif

BTW - I tried this on a cactus that had scale. No effect on the scale and but it did kill the cactus.

Keith, the coffee grounds did not kill your cactus. That's like saying dirt and air killed your cactus. :huh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I use coffee and tea bags in my garden. I even throw the filters in the yard and they compost with my heavy mulch and yard waste.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

wow free coffee grounds from starbucks now i dont feel so bad buying a latte today asked on the coffe and they gave me all they had 8 bags full what a deal

All of the organic kitchen garbage ends up in my garden. I don't drink coffee, but tea bags, orange, lemon, lime, watermelon, tangerine, papaya, etc. rinds end up there, as well as carrot tops, potato peels, rice-gone-bad in the fridge, feed Mother Nature, she'll feed you.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I get used coffee grounds from the neighborhood Circle K. I use them on palms, crotons, hibs, bougies, allamanda - basically on everything. I have been noticing more earthworms, so maybe that's another benefit. I also use the grounds on potted plants as well, and they all seem to like it.

Scale, though, does not like it :winkie:

TikiRick said he uses coffee grounds - his palms, crotons and other plantings are so healthy and vigorous that the stuff must be very beneficial.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I picked up another large bag of coffee grounds from Starbucks today... probably around 20 lbs... I thought the bag was going to burst!

Zone 9 Central Florida

Keith, the coffee grounds did not kill your cactus. That's like saying dirt and air killed your cactus. huh.gif

Maybe it OD'd on caffeine. You ever drank So. Louisiana coffee? We call the stuff in other parts of the country coffee flavored water. Here, if your teaspoon stands up, its strong enough.

I have been using coffee grinds. It seems to green up some palms. As a test, I took a beat up yellowed parlor palm and placed it in pure coffee grinds. It is three times the size in about six months and is now dark green. There are two problems: the coffee will stain clay pots and nonpainted surfaces and it attracts bugs.

It sounds like coffee has a lot of iron in it. From your comments it performs like iron sulfate or iron chelates. Just a thought.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...

Coffee grounds are great to use on our crappy South Florida Soils. wub.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Tis fine to use the moldy coffee grounds I think. I ran into that problem on a number of applications and my Chambey didnt suffer one bit. Use at your discretion though!

I love coffee grounds for the very same reasons already stated. What I have found with moldy grounds is that the insecticidal properties are greatly diminished--particularly for treating cycad aulacaspis scale. I would imagine that all of the other beneficial properties would not really be affected, though... and certainly it wouldn't be bad for the palms.

Jody