IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycads-n-Palms.com

George Sparkman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

George, do you ship?  How does one order from you?  Every e-mail I have sent you in the past has not been responded to.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

20 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

George, do you ship?  How does one order from you?  Every e-mail I have sent you in the past has not been responded to.

Hi Ben,

please send me another email and I will get back to as soon as I can.

I have been quite preoccupied with some health issues since last summer. 

I apologize.

• Like 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• 1 month later...

Sadly, last May would be George’s last offering on PalmTalk. He recently passed away. George was one of the very first people I bought “Uncommon” palms and cycads off when I started my garden 15 years ago. Most of those plants are still alive. RIP George. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

George was one of the best guys in the industry.  It was an absolute joy and honor to have known him. Rest in peace dear sir. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LJG said:

Sadly, last May would be George’s last offering on PalmTalk. He recently passed away. George was one of the very first people I bought “Uncommon” palms and cycads off when I started my garden 15 years ago. Most of those plants are still alive. RIP George. 

Thats terrible news. I knew George was battling health issues but hadn't heard how he was doing in a while. George definitely had the green thumb and gave me several tips I still use in my own garden. One thing that used to drive him crazy was picking up a plant from his growing bench and not putting it back down facing the same sun aspect it was before you grabbed it. Now its second nature for me to do so. RIP George.

• Like 1

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Received this news early this morning. I will miss my cycad and palm friend and the conversations we had.

The great thing is that I have plants from George that continue to thrive and will remind me of him and the person he was.

• Upvote 1

Just crushed to hear this news... Have been buying plants more or less annually from George since 2010.  Always looked forward to visiting his nursery and "talking shop".  Learned too many things over the years from him to mention them all.  Rest in peace George and sincere condolences to his family and friends.  

• Like 1

Wow.  I have been wondering about his health.  I last visited him in November and had been in text contact with him to come back out to pick up some plants i put aside.  He told me he was ill, but i didn't know how bad he was.  I will always remember our time talking as we walk the ranch during my visits.  Such sad news.  RIP George.

• Like 1

I was just notified of George's passing. I too had several plant purchases and visits to his growing grounds in Fallbrook over the past 10 years. I really liked George. One of my favorite palms, my Dypsis Prestoniana "Big Curly" out in my front yard I purchased from him a few years back will always remind me of George. RIP

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

What a loss.  Such a great guy.  So knowledgeable and willing to give you his time and guidance.  I really liked him and will miss him.  

What a loss to the palm and cycad world. I am saddened to learn this news and will miss his monthly lists.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sad to hear of his passing! I met him only once, but he inspired a familiarity as if he were my own grandfather. He was generous and kind. I have 2 palms in my yard from him. 

• Like 1

Such a sad news. I loved visiting his nursery in Vista, walking around, and listening: he was a fountain of no nonsense knowledge and I learned a lot from him. He was a generous person and always going the extra mile to find a plant that he knew would suit my tastes. I bought 51 plants from him, and managed to kill only one. The rest are all thriving in my garden, and will remind me of him. RIP.

Very heart breaking I spent the end of May with George at his nursery and he was in great spirits we talked a lot and laughed a lot I spent 10k over the span of a few days and George was happy about that.He showed no signs of slowing down and I joked with him to hurry up and get the June specials figured out .R I P George you were a very wise man and one of the best Cycad growers in the business .