Sign in to follow this  
Dave-Vero

Carpentaria acuminata

Dave-Vero

I have two young (not yet flowering) Carpentaria acuminata in the yard. I suspect both will flower in 2010--stem elongation seems to have slowed, indicating that the plants might be shifting resources away from vegetative growth. Both are exposed to the sky, though there are laurel oaks nearby and the palms are partly shaded during some hours of the day, especially in winter. The taller one suffered no apparent damage from cold, the shorter only minor leaf browning.

In the long Cold Spell of 2010, our coldest night was 28 at 10:30, then up to 32 or 33, then back to 29 near dawn. The coldest other night was 30 (based on official data from the airport, less than a mile to the north). Little or no frost, quite a lot of wind.

Carpentaria performed about as well as Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and perhaps a bit better than Archontophoenix tuckeri

Dave-Vero

For some reason I didn't report the 26 degree F freeze in December 2010, followed by a normal, mild winter. The freeze caused a lot of leaf damage to a pair of Carpentarias. Here they are in April 2012, after the warm winter of 2011-2012. You can still see some leaf damage on the tall tree in the foreground. By now (June 2012), the canopy is looking fine, back to its normal feather-duster appearance. The plant is continuing to flower enthusiastically. Fruit will be coming, not bad for a plant that was small when placed in the yard in 2006. The shorter Carpentaria, planted at the same time but from a different grower, has not grown quite as rapidly.

post-275-083169800 1339781823_thumb.jpg

fdrc65

I have some carpentaria in pots, they are pretty slow growing, during the winter they cannot stay outside