IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

WISCONSIN.

JASON M

I'm thinking... robusta...? Filifera? Please help. I am in the warmest climate in Wisconsin.... like 5B.

Please help! I really want one.

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

Jason, welcome to PalmTalk. I've never been to WI or lived below 7A/B but I know it gets mighty cold up there. I don't think either of the Washingtonias, esp. robusta, can survive outdoors there. Your best bet are needle palm, Rhapidophyllum ,or Sabal minor, maybe a Trachy but even then you face long odds. You should consider introducing yourself on the Discussing Palms subforum and ask the experts what you should grow. They would love to help you zone push.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Good luck in Wisconsin, but honestly, I would not waste my energy. Toocold! Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I'm thinking... robusta...? Filifera? Please help. I am in the warmest climate in Wisconsin.... like 5B.

Please help! I really want one.

Welcome to Palm Talk! :D I'm glad I saw your post. You are not alone here! There is at least one other poster here who is currently growing palms in Wisconsin, and they are growing a Robusta. However, they are providing ALOT of winter protection for their palms. I see you found his thread already! Good job!

Personally I am not a fan of those who discourage.

Palmatiermeg has it right, there are plenty of of people here who would LOVE to help you zone push! My personal suggestions to you would be to give any Sabal Minor, Needle Palm, and Windmill Palm a try up there. Those three are the hardiest of all, with Needle Palms being the most hardy palms in the world. If you just keep in mind that in your zone/ climate, you will have to provide fairly hefty protection even for the hardiest of palms and that it will take some work,you should have lots of rewarding success! There are also plenty of other "tropicalesqe" plants you can grow up there too as annuals, and perhaps even perennials. You could also try some that do well indoors. Myself and plenty of others here would be glad to offer help on some good indoor species. Heck, you could even try windmill indoors, or if you have the space, a Washingtonia will do OK indoors for a while too. All you need is some sun and a way to keep the humidity at a reasonable level.

Anyway, Good luck to you and I hope that you keep posting and growing palms! :greenthumb: Welcome!

Welcome to Palm Talk, Jason M. You've probably noticed that many of the posters here are also pushing the limits with certain palms so if you can grow palm trees in Wisconsin, more power to you. There is a hardy palm website that may help you. I know some types of palms grow fairly well at your latitude [ie. Seattle area] and a few years ago there was a photo of a tree more than just surviving in Juneau Alaska [perhaps you can find the discussion in the archives].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Thanks all. I'm gonna order one off of eBay in June or something... right now it's too cold to ship! Thanks for all the support so far. I'll post some pictures once I get it.

Jason

Hey check this out!

_________/\______/\________

________/....\____/...\______

_______/.......\__/.....\______

_______|........ \/........|______

______/..../\....|......./..\_____

______\.../__\|....|/__\/____

_______\/_____|....|__________

_____________|.....|__________

____________|........|_________

Edited by JASON M

• 2 weeks later...

I got a cycad... yes it's not a real palm but... hey, it was at Wal-Mart for $16!! The only other ones were the neanthe bella, and I have one of those. They also had the cat palm, and the ponytail palm.

I believe the harshest winter element for the upper Great Lakes is that the ground freezes [colder than coastal gardens in Seattle & New York].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Go with W. Robusta, full sun.

they are more cold sensitive than filifera but in your climate it means nothing, the robusta will grow faster in your summers. You will have to seriously protect the palm in winter with a greenhouse structure around it. Strong enough to hold the heavy snow and wind. also providing artificial heating with christmas lights and/or hallogen bulb. Providing air circulation is key too. its a LOT of work and will affect you electric heating bill. Goodluck!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

I have a halogen desk lamp??

It's not really big... but I think I can get a pic of it for you..

Well I didn't find one. (a pic)

And my grandpa would KILL me if I made a greenhouse... he spent like $5k on landscaping.

So now what?? :( Please help me!

• 3 months later...

my parents are growning windmill palms and needles in zone 6 (salt lake city area), but the windmills are wrapped in burlap and dead leaves in the winter... they have survived three winters though