IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Redneck palms

Walter John

Noticed the sun shine on my redneck palm near the deck, Dypsis leptocheilos, so I grabbed the camera and voila. Love to see all your redneck palms here or simply tell us about them and how much you like them.

post-51-12650945133702_thumb.jpg post-51-12650945190624_thumb.jpg

The ones down the back

post-51-12650945764537_thumb.jpg post-51-12650945815084_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

These guys got me interested in palms Wal! They got it all...green fronds, red fuzz & white trunksI even have a few in my dog's yard. :mrlooney:

post-1035-12651173852684_thumb.jpg

post-1035-12651174244906_thumb.jpg

post-1035-12651174745208_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

This new one is my favorite. A little droopier than most.....maybe from questionable heritage :D

post-1035-12651176699938_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wal, Is that at the new place or the old?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nicest Dypsis leptocheillos I've seen, on the left, at a friends house:

post-157-12651245189089_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

PalmFreezeJan10002-1.jpg

PalmFreezeJan10001-1.jpg

Areca Macrocaylx...not damaged by our freeze...kept protected...tho the Arenga behind it got toasty

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Wal, Is that at the new place or the old?

That's the old Bill.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The above palms are wonderful, amazing, ... and so one!

I didnt see any of these at nearby nurserys.

But i will look for them, sort of... :drool:

How hardy are them? Few, certainly...

These are such beautiful palms, can't believe I don't have one yet.

Here's a photo of one up the coast, a real beaut.

Tim

post-1300-1265177301118_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wal is missing his old place already .

Tim that is a very robust one near you , fat as base .

Just dug away the Costus 'Kiss of Death' that was encroaching on my little Teddy.

My card reader is playing up so no new pic posting until I can replace it .

But I am very happy with the growth rate , trunk is easily 50 cm at 3 years old .

It was planted as a tiny seedling in 100mm pot , I am hoping for 1m @ 4 years old?

Here is mine nearly 1 year ago post-354-12651795997981_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hello Randy,

What is the distance between the foxy lady and the redneck in the last picture on post #3?

Laura

Hi Laura, they're about 7 feet apart. The Foxy Lady is a rocket!

Randy

Here are a few pictures of the very small one I have planted (described as a "highland redneck") -- at least at this size, the crownshaft and stem colors are quite impressive :drool: :

Highlandredneckbasecolor1Feb2010.jpg

Highlandredneckbasecolor2Feb2010.jpg

Highlandredneckbasecolor3Feb2010.jpg

And this is one of the palms that came through that last cold spell with almost no impact (it is under oak canopy so didn't get direct frost but it was exposed to the numerous multi-hour below-freezing nights).

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

We got some real nice post-97-12652335472698_thumb.jpgRedneck Palms in North Florida.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Here are a few pictures of the very small one I have planted (described as a "highland redneck") -- at least at this size, the crownshaft and stem colors are quite impressive :drool: :

And this is one of the palms that came through that last cold spell with almost no impact (it is under oak canopy so didn't get direct frost but it was exposed to the numerous multi-hour below-freezing nights).

Tim

Tim- Thats a unique palm there. It looks like the petiole length of a highland, but the marking look like the masoala type. Can you show the whole plant? was it stretched from low light?

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tim

Never seen one that fat. Great pics everyone.

Edited by Shon

San Marcos CA

Tim

Tim- Thats a unique palm there. It looks like the petiole length of a highland, but the marking look like the masoala type. Can you show the whole plant? was it stretched from low light?

Bill

Bill, you know petiole length can depend heavily on shade amounts. So not a good judge of character here. I think this is a dead ringer for that plant you have and now hearing it went through some freeze, it is time I buy one from Phil before they are all gone.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The above be Dypsis hovotendrina ? I've forgotten already.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I don't think so Wal, but thats what he called it. Waiting for more pix.

I don't think so Wal, but thats what he called it. Waiting for more pix.

I'll take a couple more pictures of the entire palm and post them here soon (I'm at work right now) as well as a picture of the other one of these I have that is still in a pot. This palm is in a "semi-shaded" environment (since the oak canopy is very high and somewhat sparse) and it did have mulch piled up high around it's base during that recent cold event (so the crown most likely did not get freezing temp impact). However, based upon how several of the other palms that had the "mulch blanket" protection still showed (and are still showing...) damage, this one did fare well overall.

Also, I've sent a note to Christian Faulkner to chime in with some input on this palm's origin (since I got it from him) -- I have it shown as Dypsis lastelliana ‘highland redneck’ on my plant list.

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Tim

Tim- I am convinced that is a Dypsis lassteliana. BEAUTIFUL!

Lovin this thread. Hopefully, my Teddy's will grow up to be just like these.

Gileno - Off topic but are those huge trees behind the Red Teds variegated pleomeles?

I'm disappointed that my A. Macrocalyx seeds threw their embryos! looks like an awesome plant judging by that photo.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Here are the additional pictures of my little (planted) highland redneck as well as the other one that's still in a 1 gallon pot (I'm trying the "multiple attachment" feature as opposed to downloading them to photobucket first and then here to the forum):

post-1263-12653357681788_thumb.jpg

post-1263-12653357726133_thumb.jpg

post-1263-12653357765908_thumb.jpg

post-1263-12653357806302_thumb.jpg

post-1263-12653357846134_thumb.jpg

post-1263-12653357891016_thumb.jpg

Tim! Thats cool! Those pics confirmed it as what you bought it as, also known as Dypsis hovendrina or hoviendrina, I've seen it several ways! Here is mine planted a couple years back. It sees half day sun, so the leaves are not the prettiest. I have a thread on when I planted it some where....

post-27-12653368017153_thumb.jpg

What Len thought (and I did a bit too, but I wanted to see the top) was that it was this palm. Your last close up confirms "mealybugs" instead of "lines" like this one has.

post-27-12653370023828_thumb.jpg

Tim- You'll find that palm will keep the long petiole. Its not only that way from stretching. Heres the thread on mine. Also, if you look, Bo has some pictured on his site too. VERY few people grow them here because some folks decided they won't grow here. Its a good thing my palm can't read or surf the web.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12926&st=0&p=220620&fromsearch=1&#entry220620

• 1 month later...

Tim! Thats cool! Those pics confirmed it as what you bought it as, also known as Dypsis hovendrina or hoviendrina, I've seen it several ways! Here is mine planted a couple years back. It sees half day sun, so the leaves are not the prettiest. I have a thread on when I planted it some where....

post-27-12653368017153_thumb.jpg

What Len thought (and I did a bit too, but I wanted to see the top) was that it was this palm. Your last close up confirms "mealybugs" instead of "lines" like this one has.

post-27-12653370023828_thumb.jpg

Bill, Is this the same palm? I bought this one as a "Highland Redneck".

post-1035-1269312959666_thumb.jpg

post-1035-12693129858526_thumb.jpg

It has an orangy base, that I don't see in yours. :D

Randy

post-1035-12693132883684_thumb.jpg

Oh gawd!

Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish Squish [etc!]

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Randy-

It looks like you have the palm in my SECOND picture on post #28, NOT the highland mealybug. (post#27 IS the highland m., if you look close you can notice the long petiole with the leaves at the end.)

Yours is cool too! Thats why I have one planted also and have most seen it as the "cape masoala form".

Oh yeah- Its "orange" because someone pulled the leaf base off! :P

Here is my redneck.

Mike

post-250-12693312660092_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

My little redneck can't compete with most of these - yet. But last Saturday I planted it near its teddybear cousin which is already developing its furry "coat". I hope they encourage each other.

Dypsis lastelliana along the Isabelle Canal

post-1349-12693549498766_thumb.jpgpost-1349-12693549757666_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

New leaf opening on one of my D. leptocheilos.

This is part of a row of 5 Rednecks that are planted along the path to the beach.

post-747-12693571994292_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Here is our 2;

Dypsis lastelliana

b717.jpg

Dypsis leptocheilos

f021.jpg

Eric, correct me if I'm wrong, but to me the Teddy looks like a Red Neck...?

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Tim

This is what is being sold as Dypsis hovomandrina which I think is the same as the Masoala lastelliana. I have 3 of them. Not as slow as some have said either.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We got some real nice post-97-12652335472698_thumb.jpgRedneck Palms in North Florida.

That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking! :D

Zone 9 Central Florida