IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Neoveitchia

cfkingfish

I never understood why Neoveitchias never made it into cultivation rather fast much like Veitchias did. I know they are a bit rarer, but grow fast, and maybe need a tad more heat. Their cold tolerance seems to fit right in with Veitchia, not only from existing plant reports, but the fact that it comes from the same area as Veitchia, Carpoxylon, and Licuala grandis.

Does anyone even have a picture of N. brunnei?

Jeff, I have a picture of your seeding specimen, but I'll let you do the posting! I am sure you are familiar with this particular one (lower leaflets showing Wilma damage):

IMG_3639.jpg

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Christian,

Neoveitchia storckii is a great looking palm, and I just happened to take this picture yesterday.

Bo-Göran

But I don't have any N. brunnei! Wish I did :(

post-22-1164847842_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I would love to try one of these palms in a protected spot of my yard.  But......they seem very hard to find.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I'm not scared to plant one...someone just needs to send me one.  I have wondered before whether anyone has planted on of these in SoCal before.  

Are these closely related to Satakentia?  They sure look similar.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Matt-

They are in the same subfamily as Clinostigma and Carpoxylon. Carpoxylon and Neoveitchia seeds look very similar.

I don't know the supply out West, but down here I have one gallon plants, and I am sure Jeff Searle has larger ones.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Well, If I could get a 2 to 5 gallon, I would try it here. I have a nice warm spot for it. This or a hurricane palm.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Dave, I thought Silver Lake was the Swish Alps ?

I would love to put one of these in my yard, any SOCAL suppliers?

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

I would like to plant a grove like Bo's but don't have any seed.  Any available out there?  Temps are not a problem for me!

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I love the palm but when I researched it all the info lead me to believe it was way to tropical for my part of town. Maybe I should reconsider.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Hey guys,

I was just down in S. Florida and Paul Drummond in South Miami has a Noeveitchia growing in his jungle in partial shade.  I think they look better growing in partial shade.  The ones growing in S. Fla. in full sun look a little pale.

Richard Douglas

(cfkingfish @ Nov. 30 2006,01:28)

I don't know the supply out West, but down here I have one gallon plants, and I am sure Jeff Searle has larger ones.

Got any pics to post?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Neoveitchia's are no doubt a beautiful palm - like most other Fijian species (ok - now which palm is ugly huh??)

To Christian's initial question - why it is not seen much in cultivation - here are some wild guesses:

1. Could it be the availability of seeds? I am not so sure about that one. Because Jeff Marcus has had this on his list for ages - indicating continued availability of plants. I now have a steady supply of these seeds. So i am not sure if availability of seeds itself a problem.

2. The only other some-what related problem i can think of is the germination technique that this species needs. Germinating Neovetichia seeds is not like germinating a Phoenix, Bismarckia or even Hyophorbe seeds. For those of you who germinate a lot of seeds - you can see that the last example is progressively difficult. Phoenix is easy. Bismarckia is easy too - but a bit more difficult than Phoenix's. Some hyopherbe's are easy - but lagenicaulis is a tough cookie - definitely a lot tougher than Bismarcks. Neovetichia can be placed in the same class as lagenicaulis - from a germination perspective. While not as difficult as Lemurophoenix, Voanioala,  Acrocomia or Phytelaphas for that matter - it definitely needs patience and the right environment. Probably a fair amount of heat will do the trick. So - those of you with heatiing pads or live in naturally hot tropics (is there a cold tropic :-) ) - can pull it off with relative ease.

3. The last factor i can think of is probably the climate itself.  Warm tropics should be a no brainer for this palm. Not so sure about warm subtropics. Those of you who grow this in various places - can share the information - which can help shed light on places where these can be grown successfully. HI, parts of FL/TX are easy guesses. Any other places?

Anyway - so much for my spiel.

joseph

joseph

www.ortanique.com

SF Bay Area, CA

Joseph,

Even though I live in the tropics I've found Neoveitchia seeds to be much more difficult than most of the others, more difficult than Lemurophoenix and Pelagodoxa for instance. And since I don't use heating pads I don't have that extra heat that might be beneficial. As a result, Neoveitchia seeds take a LONG time to germinate, easily up to a year. But once a seed germinates you have a very strong and vigorous seedling!

Here are two more photos. First one along our driveway, where I have planted seven Neoveitchias. Five are visible, the other two are "around the corner".

Bo-Göran

post-22-1164915034_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And another little grove of Neoveitchias in a different part of our garden.

post-22-1164915093_thumb.jpg

There should be some of the other neoveitchia seeds avaiable very soon for you guys i would try Jeff Marcus he has seedlings and i will be sending him seeds of the second sp in a few months . ps not all seeds seem to get polinated this is why germination is some times very low..

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

That is excellent news Clayton. I heard someone went to Pentecost (sp.) island where N. brunnei and Cyphosperma voutmelense are endemic. Apparently the tribal chief has to invite you there to even step foot on the island?

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I have just put a 3 gallon in the yard next to my C. nucifera. I' ll hopefully have a pic to post come March.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 2 years later...

:interesting: Interesting old thread!

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I put a Neoveitchia storckii seedling in my shade palm garden in March. So far, so good. But it was the devil to even find one without paying the proverbial arm and leg.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It is not suprising Christian started this thread although many moons ago. There is an outstanding specimen at Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens in West Palm. A picture of it appears in a thread started by Pedro this past winter. The Neoveitchia storkii is in a jungly area and not in full sun, where it appears perfectly content.

What you look for is what is looking

Mine sat idle for a year & half getting toasted in full sun. With the rains, it just pushed out 2 new fronds in 6 weeks! I have renewed hope for this one. :D

post-1035-1243989939_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I planted one out this spring after caring for it in a pot for 2 years. It hasn't done much since being put in it's new home.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I finally collected about 10 seeds a couple of weeks ago off of ours here in the nursery. It's probably about 18-20' tall now. I'm still waiting for that "bumper" crop though. :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mine is tiny compared to everyone else's - no character leaves yet. But I took photos anyway. It didn't do much in a pot over the winter but seems to like being in the ground. It is working on its 3rd leaf of spring.

post-1349-1244073167_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1244073180_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1244073194_thumb.jpg

Meg

Florida

I planted 2 out here a few weeks ago, about the same size as in Meg's photos.

How tender are they, compared to say Cocos or Hyophorbe lagenicaulis? Both were planted in protected locations.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I planted out 4 when I first moved into my home in 2000. I really wanted a staircase effect with three planted in a triangle about 10' on center. One by one, the new spear failed. It would emerge healthy, but then had difficulty holding it's own weight and would collapse over before opening.

One by one, I removed them.

The fourth one, on the opposite side of the garden, is thriving and is now about 14' overall, yet to produce seed. I have featured it here on an old post.

I treated them the same...fertilizer, irrigation, mulch, and TLC. I took it to an agriculture lab and they can only compare to Veitchia...which is much different. They offered no solutions for $180.00.

Was it nutritional? Fungal? Bacterial? Virus? Defect in the genes of the palm itself ?(they all came from the same seed batch).

I even thought it was from the soil....buried consturction debris? Roots reaching salt/brachish water (I live on a riverbank)...what?

Nonetheless, a wonderful palm and I am thankful for my one healthy specimen.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Jack and Marshall Dewey have these for sale in at least 3 gallon size in their nursery in Loxahatchee. I know they have at least 1 in the ground, maybe more on the property. While they look a little tattered after our winter, they are doing fine. The nursery is called Folsom Palms. It is across the street from Excelsa Gardens.

I plan on putting one of these in my garden.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

One by one, the new spear failed. It would emerge healthy, but then had difficulty holding it's own weight and would collapse over before opening.

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

In my time I've found Neo-V's to only add to the infamy of my Death Camp.

As soon as it gets cool (below 50F), they cark, croak, die, shuffle off the mortal coil . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Meg - yours looks way better than mine. I thought it was not going to make it but it is growing out of it. I am thinking that this winter affected it. This is a three gallon palm.

Best regards, :)

Ron.

post-1729-1244162039_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1244162092_thumb.jpg

Just checked out my Neoveitchia Storckii seeds that I thought would never germinate. 30 of 38 have germinated after 6 months maybe. Anyone in Hawaii mind telling me where they get there pots from?

Meg - yours looks way better than mine. I thought it was not going to make it but it is growing out of it. I am thinking that this winter affected it. This is a three gallon palm.

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Ron, your palm is much taller. Hope mine puts on more height soon.

Meg

Florida

• 3 weeks later...

Christian, Here is one in the Palm Beach area:

PictureNumerousPalmsandFoot208.jpg

A little more detail on this way under-utilized, spectacular Palm:

PictureNumerousPalmsandFoot209.jpg

What you look for is what is looking

Wow! I feel very lucky to have three beautiful N. storckii specimens which we recently purchased from Bo-Goren. I had no idea they were that difficult to germinate and grow.

Thanks for the great photos that everyone shared.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Lee - you will have no problem in Hawaii, just keep them mulched. Us mainland folks have the issues with Neoveitchia.

Ron. :winkie:

• 1 year later...

This is an interesting old post that I ran across wile researching the Neoveitchia storckii. I would love to see updated pictures of how there doing now (particularly ones in Florida).

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach