• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just a little something to help those of you in warmer climates feel even warmer!

DCA_Palm_Fan

This is what the last big CA storm turned into for us here in the mid Atlantic. Keep in mind the temps on this map, are pretty much our HIGH TEMPS for the day today, 1/30/10. Also, this snow pushed all the way to the coast in places where it almost never snows. Places like Ocean City, NJ, Rehoboth Beach, DE, Ocean City, MD, Assateague Island, MD, Va. Beach, VA, Duck, NC, Corolla, NC, Nags Head, NC...etc. Even the Carrituck lighthouse out in, I think Corolla is blanketed in snow, which is a very rare sight in deed. The low for our area here in the DC metro tonight is 12-14F inside the beltway, and 8-12F out in the colder suburbs. Oh well, at least if its going to be frigid, the snow is something pretty to look at. National Airport which is 1 mile from me is reporting 4.5" at this time. I am measuring 6.1". National is always lagging behind everywhere else around it in almost every preceip and temp event. My windmills should come through this just fine though. They have seen colder, and they have seen worse weather. Try a nice 1/2" of solid ice on them last winter and they came through like a champ. Oh, and they are in POTS to boot. Of course they are wrapped in plastic and have some xmas lights around the pots and trunks. =o)

Man I miss Florida already and I have only been back home since late Wednesday afternoon. :(

post-3216-12648874872609_thumb.jpg

Someone from your area said their palms are "already looking a bit sick"

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/msg/1264895691.html

Hmmm. Well, they are way out in the burbs where it routinely gets MUCH colder than it does where I am. I dont know anything about their palms, siting, protection...etc. I only know that where they are, is significantly colder, and for much longer durations than I get where I am. Mine are also on south facing red bring walls. My needle and Sabal Minor are on red brick east facing walls, but I dont even worry about those. They seem to laugh off this cold.

Assateague Island, MD, Va. Beach, VA, Duck, NC, Corolla, NC, Nags Head, NC...etc. Even the Carrituck lighthouse out in, I think Corolla is blanketed in snow, which is a very rare sight in deed.

Seriously... yikes!

The low for our area here in the DC metro tonight is 12-14F inside the beltway, and 8-12F out in the colder suburbs...

Man I miss Florida already and I have only been back home since late Wednesday afternoon. :(

Wow, that really brings back memories - bad ones - from 30-some years ago. I think you need to move down here as soon as you can - it has to be miserable up there.

This winter has to be at least as bad as 77-78. Maybe worse - you think?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Wherever you are, find the beauty in it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wherever you are, find the beauty in it.

Keith,

That is a very good statement.

Thanks, dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Assateague Island, MD, Va. Beach, VA, Duck, NC, Corolla, NC, Nags Head, NC...etc. Even the Carrituck lighthouse out in, I think Corolla is blanketed in snow, which is a very rare sight in deed.

Seriously... yikes!

The low for our area here in the DC metro tonight is 12-14F inside the beltway, and 8-12F out in the colder suburbs...

Wow, that really brings back memories - bad ones - from 30-some years ago. I think you need to move down here as soon as you can - it has to be miserable up there.

This winter has to be at least as bad as 77-78. Maybe worse - you think?

Well, this WAS (I think) the first winter since 77/78 they broke out the ice breakers on the "bay". ( side tributaries anyway) That said, in 1977 the Chesapeake froze completely over even SOUTH of the bay bridge. So this has not been quite as cold, but close enough. TOO close for my liking. A winter like the 1977 winter would be devastating to not only all the palms now planted in this area, but cameillas, and likely some crepe myrtles too, as well as many of the more southern type yuccas planted here now. The needle palms, well, I think they would pull through just fine.

Although, the winter of 82 I think it was ( when air florida flight 90 crashed into the 14th st. bridge ) was as bad as the winter of 77, only not quite the duration enough to freeze over the entire bay from shore to shore.

Edited by DCA_Palm_Fan

untitled.bmp:lol: Edited by Alicehunter2000

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

LOL @ Alicehunter2000!

*sigh*...

Here we go again. Another winter storm warning in effect from 4PM today, to 7AM tomorrow for another 4-6" of snow. This is the second winter storm warning we have been under in the DC area in just 3 days! I guess were making up for hardly any snow for the past 15+ years here, in a big way this winter. So far at my place I have measured 31" this year, total, and 24" of that came all at once the week before xmas. This, AND were under the gun again for yet another big snow storm this coming Friday night / Saturday that could be more significant than the one a few days ago, or this one. :blink: Oh well. I guess we can always start referring to it as "the great white south".

At least this time around its not supposed to be as bitter cold. Mid to upper 20s at night and mid 30s to low 40s for daytimes. On the birght side, only 26 more days until "meteorological" spring.

Heres a few chilly pics for ya. Windmill in snow, and spanish moss in snow.

post-3216-12651338029427_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12651338472023_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12651338754807_thumb.jpg

Well, here we go AGAIN! The mid Atlantic is under the gun again, just like we were back on 12/19/09. Conditions are going to start going down ill here in the National Capital area quickly tomorrow starting around 12PM. The difference with this storm, is that it appears to have alot more moisture with it, and will be much stronger when it redevelops off the coast. The models have really been pushing this for about 7 days now, and have pretty much all come into alignment. We knew this was going to be big, but now that it is getting to crunch time, the picture has been getting more clear. For the D.C. Metropolitan area, and for Baltimore, and Philadelphia for that matter as well, we are looking at 18-24" of snow or MORE. This storm will rapidly deepen once it moves off the coast of the Carolinas, and will not only be throwing massive amounts of moisture far inland, but will also really kick up the winds, especially along the coast of VA, MD, DC and NJ, prompting some blizzard warnings already for MD/DE/NJ coastal areas. High winds could come far inland as well. One thing that is of concern some models have been having this storm stall off of the coast of VA. This could potentially increase the snow totals for the major cities of the mid Atlantic by another 6-12".

I have to say, I have lived in Washington D.C. area my entire life, and it is very rare where we see this type of attention given to a storm, this far in advance, and this much. SO much so that almost all major school systems in the D.C. Metropolitan area have already closed for tomorrow. The school system closures started coming in as early as Thursday morning. The hardware and grocery stores here, are a madhouse, and many are running out of basic items. I saw this myself when I went to pick up a few things at the grocery store up the street. Some shelves are just bare. The parking lots are INSANE. It is the type of crowds you normally see before thanksgiving and Christmas here. There are major traffic jams just getting into and out of parking lots, and there are not enough shopping carts at stores to accommodate the crowds.

Hardware stores or any other place that carries ice melt, snow shovels, scrapers, blowers... or any other winter weather cleaning equipment, forget it, they are SOLD OUT, and have been all week. One hardware store up the street from me was on the news, they sold 350 snow shovels in 5 hours!!!!! All stores that sell this stuff is It truly is insanity. Youd think that people would go get this stuff in advance, and you would think that people would keep their snow removal items on hand. Where do they all go? LOL! Oh, and the prices, they have gone up on all that stuff. LOL! Im glad I'm prepared and keep that stuff on hand. I just don't get the "end of the world" mentality when it comes to winter storms, especially in the Washington metropolitan area. Its just crazy!

Perhaps a mod could change the subtitle of this thread to Mid Atlantic Super Blizzard of 2010.

Just in case anyone is listening or cares... :lol:

I have dubbed this superbowl weekend super snowstorm, "The Snowperbowl". LOL! :lol:

This is what we are in for:

SnowperbowlDC2010.jpg

For your reference, I am located at the very bottom right part of the "D" in DC on that map. I am in Old Town Alexandria, VA about 3/4 mile from the shores of the tidal Potomac River.

Photos of my place and little "yard" as of 2:30PM this afternoon: Grassy areas dusted, except under trees, where the snow was melting and dripping as water. It was 33F then. Not the window sills are about 4feet, and the pine tree at the front door is about 3feet tall, and the bottom of the Adirondack chairs are about 1 foot off the ground for your reference points. Say goodbye to the palms in ground, as they will be completely covered.

first photo is 3-4 year old Needle Palm. Second winter in ground, unprotected.

Second photo is 3-4 year old Sabal Minors. 2nd winter in ground unprotected.

post-3216-12654093666666_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654095889135_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654095936501_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654096001466_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654096067297_thumb.jpg

Same photos as above, as of 5PM. We had about an inch or so. As of this post, we now have about 5-6", snowing VERY HARD, and the wind is really picking up.

post-3216-12654162024471_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654162130566_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654162148891_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654162280585_thumb.jpg

post-3216-12654162332535_thumb.jpg

Same photos as above, as of 5PM. We had about an inch or so. As of this post, we now have about 5-6", snowing VERY HARD, and the wind is really picking up.

Watch where you step. Me thinks you won't be seeing the palms for a while.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Ill have more pics tomorrow. I have been in and out all night. Shoveling trying to keep up, and went for a walk. So far about 19" of snow, and its still snowing at about 2-3" per hour. We have had 3 "THUNDERSNOWS" so far tonight, with frequent lightining. I am pretty certain the last thundersnow I saw was in the blizzard of 1996.

Winds are gusting over 40 MPH, Blizzard conditions have persisted since about 11PM EST with visibilities about 1-3 tenths of one mile at best. There at times have been whiteout conditions, with visibilities dropping to under 50 feet. The whiteout conditions usually last for about 1 minute during the very strong gale force gusts. On my walk I encountered some drifts that were probably 3-4 feet. Some trees are snapping. So far we have not lost power here, but tens of thousands in the D.C. Metro are currently without power. Its hard to measure exactly how much snow there is, because in some places the ground is bare, and in others there is 4 feet. I took my measurements in the least exposed place possible, and 19" is what I got 3 out of 5 times. The other two times, I got 17" Suffice it to say, that, on my hour long walk, it looked like something you would see on top of Mt. Washington, NH, or at a camp near the north or south pole. Snow accumulated 2,3,4" on the vertical side surfaces of buildings, signs, trees, stoplights completely packed with snow....etc. Snow does the strangest stuff when its blown around so much by gale force winds for sure.

Btw... the in ground palms are totally BURIED. Gone. I have been brushing off both potted trachys, every hour or two, but they are buried up to their pot brims and then some.

More pics tomrrow. Im beat tired.

Wow, DCA - I can honestly say that in all the years I lived up there, I never heard of such a snowstorm. Looking at twc last night, at all the bare store shelves and hearing one of your local mets talking about people being snowed in for 5 days, it was unreal. I'm sure it's worse the farther you get from the district, Fairfax and Montgomery counties and farther out than that.

What was also weird was how much it looked like hurricane prep - it was a familiar sight, long lines in stores, people rushing to get needed stuff... only outside it was blowing snow. And there were photos of collapsed roofs, didn't hear whether this was caused by wind or snow. They said even the mail was stopped.

So, is it still snowing - what is the total accumulation going to be?

St. Pete

I just found the answer: total accumulation at Dulles is......

32.4 inches! Never heard of such a thing. And apparently there's more on the way. :o

Good luck to all palmies up in the DC-Metro area, it looks awful. (and suddenly, our overnight forecast doesn't seem so cold at all)

St. Pete

Wow! Good luck up there.....unbelievable amounts of the white stuff. It will be amazing if any of your palms survive.

Wow! Good luck up there.....unbelievable amounts of the white stuff. It will be amazing if any of your palms survive.

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay in posting. Just so much to do, see....etc. SO many incredible stories to tell. Suffice it to say that the forecast was correct. From the timing, to the accumulations, they hit this nail dead on the head. Once again, true to form, National Airport, which is one mile from me was one of the lowest totals, measuring 17.8", surpassing the blizzard of 1996. I live 1 mile from National airport, and I measured no less than 20" and no more than 26".The wind blew it around so much its hard to get an accurate measurement. 23" seems to be the most common number measured in and around my area, although some measured has high as 30". 27" was a very common number throughout the entire Washington Metropolitan area. Snow drifts of 3-5 feet were/ are common. Blizzard conditions were common, and whiteout condiditons did happen several times during the event. Visibilities were from at best 3 tenths of a mile, to often times less than 50 feet. Commonly, you could see about 1 city block. Winds were in the 30-40MPH range. Snow fall rates at times were 2+ inches per hour, and at 3 different times during this storm, we had THUNDERSNOW, with frequent lightining. It was during these thunder snowstorms when at times the snowfall rates would increase to nearly 4" per hour. It literally looked fake at times, as if someone was on he roof dumping buckets of snow over the side.

All but the final 4 or 5 inches was a very heavy wet snow, which was the reason for such massive numbers of power outages (hundreds of thousands) and numerous building collapses. Buildings are STILL collapsing even today. A 102 year old chruch as collapsed completely, a hanger at Dulles airport has collapsed, A fire house, a post office, a school, a shopping center... collapsed. Just to name a few. And the trees, forget it. There are trees bent, broken, or down, even uprooted, all over the area, on power lines, and over roads. There are still nearly 100,000 people without power that I am seeing on the news. Our subway system, METRO, suspended above ground service at 11PM on Friday evening, and will remain limited to only under ground service at least through today. METRO bus service is still also suspended, except for on a very limited basis. (about 8 lines out of a couple hundred) Most side streets remain untouched. Secondary roads are not very good, Man roads are passable, even stretches of more than 1 lane (were talking one lane for BOTH directions) and the interstates are in fair shape with 2 lanes, sometimes 3 available, but keep in mind that most of this is just very packed snow, except on the interstates, where there is a fair amount of slushy pavement. It has not been above freezing since about 12PM friday, and last n ight was in the low teens in the city, as is expected for the next few nights, with highs around 30. One bright spot, yesterday and today were both sunny. Today we MAY nudge above 32 for a time. Snow removal has become a problem as well, as there is simply just no where to put it. There is also no where for anyone to walk, so all foot traffic (and ski traffic) is in the roads as well, creating even more congestion.

However, we are once again under a winter storm watch, with potentially another 5-10 inches of snow Tuesday afternoon thru Wednesday afternoon. For places that it snows all the time like ski resorts or something, this is fine. For this area, well lets just say the word I would use to describe what it has done would be "crippling". Anyway, wont bore you with anymore typing.

Because there are so many photos I am only going to post the same pics as above to show you for comparison, and perhaps a couple more as teasers. I will link you to the album where the rest of the photos are located so you can view them at your leisure.

Looking forward to seeing them KJ. I guess more snow is something that you don't need.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Ok, for some reason the "attach file" method is not working. It keeps saying my files are too big, but I have uploaded files much bigger, so I'm not sure what is going wrong. Furthermore, It is telling me that I have inserted "too many" photos. This is really starting to get frustrating, especially for a board that is supposed to be fairly photo intensive. SO, I am going to try now to break this apart. Where there were 5 photos in a post above, I will try and put 3 in one and 2 in another post to see if THAT works. Here goes nothing:

Same photos as above, same order, for comparison. As I said, the in ground palms are ummm... "gone".. LOL

Even the trachy in the large pot was almost gone.

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Ok, so that worked, so here are the last two "comparison" photos from the set of the original 5:

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

You gotta love the pic with the air conditioner. :lol:

Great photos. Looks peaceful.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

You gotta love the pic with the air conditioner. :lol:

Great photos. Looks peaceful.

Oh, and I forgot, here is the link to the web ablbum. There are 187 photos there, feel free to browse them. D.C. Blizzard of 2010 The photos in the album are in cronological order from start of the storm to finish.

As for the photo of the AC unit, below that is the needle palm I mentioned above. The "lumps" on either side of the AC unit are in fact 15 foot tall "trees". There are more of those behind my place that are about 20-25 feet tall, that have also been reduced to those same "lumps" under the snow. They all are basically flattened. Far as I can tell only a couple of them actually broke.

Here is a photo of the back when there was only about 18" on the ground:

IMG_1855.jpg

To the left of the front door (you can sort of see it sagging into the photo of the door above) is a 25 foot tall deciduous magnolia. An absolutely beautiful tree. Unfortunately, 1/2 of it is n ow gone. It broke under the weight of the snow.

IMG_1921.jpg

I just thought this was a great photo. This was a block from my place. It looks alot more like Aspen Colorado than it does old town Alexandria Virginia:

IMG_1934.jpg

And yet again, here we go. This is absolutely unbelievable. This is going to make an already very bad an d dangerous situation, possibly devastating. I wonder how many more buildings will collapse? This winter, (and this week) may end up being the worst of my entire life here in the Washington Metropolitan area, and I am 38 years old. This is on top of the 2+ FEET we already have on the ground from Friday/Saturday's 30 hour superstorm. Here it is:

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 10 TO 20 INCHES.

* TIMING... MID-AFTERNOON TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES... TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING AT THE ONSET TUESDAY AFTERNOON. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS... LIGHT SOUTHEASTERLY WINDS TUESDAY BECOMING NORTHWESTERLY 15 TO 25 MPH WEDNESDAY.

Appreciate the steady flow of photos, KJ ;) hopefully the heavy snow in DC will be over later this week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Next storm is approaching, and the very bad parts will be over night tonight through the daylight hours on Wednesday. We are still under the gun for 10-20" in the Washington Metropolitan area. The thinking seems to be that the numbers12-14" will be fairly universal in the District, and inside the beltway, with slightly lower numbers farther south and east, and higher numbers northwest to northeast of downtown. This should be a drier snow. While this will still be a major snow, the big story with this storm is going to be the winds this time. Winds are forecast to gust to 50+ MPH in the Washington Metropolitan area, causing major blowing and drifting, and once again, blizzard, to whiteout conditions. This storm will pack much stronger winds, for a much longer duration than the storm last Friday and Saturday. Where we were gusting to 35 last storm at times, this storm will be closer to sustained 30+MPH with gusts up to and over 50MPH possible. This is going to be much more of a wind storm, than anything else here.

The stores are just about bare. Just went out to pick up a couple more things (were still very well stocked up from the first storm) and it is rather nerve racking. Traffic jams everywhere, and virtually nothing left to buy. I stopped in to our neighborhood hardware store to pick up more lamp oil for the oil lamps just in case because this time we very well may lose power, and the line for the next shovel shipment which was due in today, was amazing. about 50 people in line just for shovels, and another 150+ on the "waiting list".

Thank goodness this will be our last storm for at least a while!

Stockinguprd2.jpg

8-10" so far in my neighborhood. Winds gusting near 50MPH. Wind gusts as high as 60-65MPH reported in Northern VA. Whiteout conditions the past 3 hours continue to persist. Visibility at times is less than 15 feet. I honestly have honestly NEVER seen conditions this bad in my entire lifetime in Washington and I am a native Washingtonian. This truly is incredible stuff!

It really is hard to fathom exactly what 15' or less visibility is like.

Here is just a small taste of what I am seeing in the photo below:

Winds gusting near 50MPH. Wind gusts as high as 60-65MPH reported in Northern VA. Whiteout conditions the past 3 hours continue to persist. Visibility at times is less than 15 feet. I honestly have honestly only seen conditions this bad once in my entire lifetime. This truly is incredible stuff!

Here is just a small taste of what I am seeing just in my neighborhood today in the photo below:

Whiteout conditions. At at times that building across the street completely disappears. In fact, several times I cannot even see the sidewalk which is about 15' away. 50+ mph winds. In the photo below, behind the telephone pole that is barely visible is GW middle school which we have been unable to see for the last 3 hours now. It is a 4 story tall very old building built in the 1930s. It used to be GW High School, the high school Jim Morrison of The Doors graduated from. This is just absolutely incredible stuff!!!!!

Whiteout2010EGlendale.jpg

This was as of 2PM this afternoon: Couple of photos I emailed to our ABC affiliate (7) here in Washington, and they called me back and asked me the exact location of this. It has been on the news several times now. This was about 3 hours ago. Around 10AM crews and about 30 vehicles (plows, front end loaders, bull dozers, and a 150 foot crane) came to the very large middle school across the street (GW Middle School), and feverishly were moving snow with all the very heavy equipment. This is a possible roof collapse or buckle. The school is in the photo above but you cant see it. You CAN see it below. This is a 3 story building that was built in the 1930s. It used to be a high school and it is the school that Jim Morrison of The Doors graduated high school from. Fairly historic building. SNow blowers and about 15 men were lifted to the roof and were shoveling and snow blowing the roof. Im not sure if there is any damage or not, or if it is just proactive to prevent damage, but it was a MAJOR operation.

Couple photos below:

GWMiddleSchool2010.jpg

GWMiddleSchool2010.1.jpg

Also as of 2PM this afternoon - There are also many trees down, traffic lights down from the winds, and of course, power outages galore.

Still near whiteout conditions, still snowing fairly heavily, winds still gusting around 45MPH or so, and it is now 16F, with about 9-10" on the ground.

National Airport is now 6 tenths of 1 inch of snow away from setting the all time record for a single winter in terms of snow, since records were kept back in the late 1800s. Were at almost 55" at National, and Dulles airport is now at 72" of snow for the winter of 09/10 just slightly over 1 inch less than the snowiest place in the United States this winter, thus far. Again, incredible.

Again, lived here my entire life, born and raised native Washingtonian, and I have never seen conditions quite like this, ever.

As of 4:48PM: 10" here in Del Ray. We have all just lived through & witnessed HISTORY! We have officially broken the all time record for the snowiest winter in history, set 126 years ago when records were first kept, at National Airport. Still snowing lightly and still seeing ground blizzard conditions with 30mph winds. This winter, and this particular storm has been epic. never seen conditions this incredibly bad in my lifetime as a Native Washingtonian. I will post a few more pics shortly, and a link to an album on this incredible 2nd blizzard in 4 days.

Ok, so I was wrong, the heavier snow has moved back in, and were now at about 1 foot. This storm will just not quit! The farther away it moves, the larger it grows, and it is STILL throwing bands of heavy snow all the way back as far west as farifax, VA. Over 3 feet of snow in 4-5 days is just incredible, then the drifting and blowing on top of that has been crazy. Were not out of the snowy woods just yet.

DC and Baltimore, and I think Philly too as now picked up more snow this winter than the snowiest places in the US, Buffalo, NY, and Cleveland, OH. WOW! NYC aint got nothing on us in terms of winter weather this year! LOL!

Ok, so I was wrong, the heavier snow has moved back in, and were now at about 1 foot. This storm will just not quit! The farther away it moves, the larger it grows, and it is STILL throwing bands of heavy snow all the way back as far west as farifax, VA. Over 3 feet of snow in 4-5 days is just incredible, then the drifting and blowing on top of that has been crazy. Were not out of the snowy woods just yet.

In an earlier post, you said in all your life you'd never seen so much snow in the DC area. I don't know how old you are, but I am old. I was there in the 50's, 60's and left in '70. Had to return in 76 and got the hell out in early 78. And in all those years, never saw ANYTHING like what you are going through.

Everything I'm hearing is just so unlike anything I experienced up there. Even 77-78 wasn't as bad as this - no collapsing buildings back then, for instance. Now... snow removal budgets overwhelmed, power lines down all over, fed shut down, airports shut down.... buses not running??? What's up with that? They were all running back in 77-78 - I know b/c I had to ride them as I can't drive on snow.

And now they're saying they're running out of places to dump the excess snow. Maybe they could ship it to Vancouver - where snow is being trucked in for the Games....

Are your palms going to survive this? Hard to believe they could, seems doubtful.

Seriously, time for you to consider moving down here PDQ. At least if you live in St. Pete... you could have pindos!

St. Pete

• 10 years later...
On 2/10/2010 at 9:27 PM, SunnyFl said:

In an earlier post, you said in all your life you'd never seen so much snow in the DC area. I don't know how old you are, but I am old. I was there in the 50's, 60's and left in '70. Had to return in 76 and got the hell out in early 78. And in all those years, never saw ANYTHING like what you are going through.

Everything I'm hearing is just so unlike anything I experienced up there. Even 77-78 wasn't as bad as this - no collapsing buildings back then, for instance. Now... snow removal budgets overwhelmed, power lines down all over, fed shut down, airports shut down.... buses not running??? What's up with that? They were all running back in 77-78 - I know b/c I had to ride them as I can't drive on snow.

And now they're saying they're running out of places to dump the excess snow. Maybe they could ship it to Vancouver - where snow is being trucked in for the Games....

Are your palms going to survive this? Hard to believe they could, seems doubtful.

Seriously, time for you to consider moving down here PDQ. At least if you live in St. Pete... you could have pindos!

I know you have not been around for a good while, but I too finally LEFT!  I'm also now in beautiful St. Pete!   I will never go back! haha!