IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PEACE

KPL

Aloha,

Karolyn P. Lundkvist here. I'm working on a project for the Rotary club I'm in (Rotary Club of Pahoa Sunset). I'm calling this project "What does Peace mean to you?" If any of you can help us please do so. All you need to do is write one sentence or one short paragraph.

I'm thanking you in advance. :)

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

What a big question?

To me the word peace, is the same a peace of mind, a state of being. The ability to go about ones life in harmony, without worry of attack or animosity.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Peace, oh Karolyn, you don't ask for much! But I'll try...

Peace is an idealized concept of the earth in complete harmony and all humans in mutually beneficial cooperation. On a more practical level, peace is a choice for each individual. We can choose to abandon unnecessary desires, and with respect, tolerance, and compassion toward others, we can each find within ourselves that balance we call peace.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Aloha, Karolyn!

Hmm.

Your post bugged me all day.

I liked Kim's elegantly sage response.

Hmm.

Maybe peace isn't something, but rather the absence of some things:

No pain.

No fear.

No sorrow.

No boredom.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi KPL!

As a Kiwanian, we always have a good natured rivalry with Rotary.

Technically, "Peace" is just the absence of war. The absence of war can sound deceptively welcome until you realize that there are worse things than war. "Peace follows victory" is a phrase that should be heeded more.

For me personally, "peace" is being able to quietly read a book or work carefree in my garden.

Geraldo

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Peace is .........

• A gentle hand on a shoulder.
  • Where the only sound you can hear is the wind through the trees, or the waves on the shore.
  • Driving to Beerwah listening to "Out on the Weekend" by Neil Young.
  • Discovering peace.
  • a smile...a kiss
  • The sweet smell of new rain

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Inner peace is unique to the individual, and for some, is attainable.

Global peace will always be a fantasy.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Keith, Thank you for your short and succinct response........I really liked it!

Kim, what a great response. I wish it were that easy. I myself search for that daily.

Dave, I'm glad I gave you something to think about duing the course of your day!

Jerry, you sound like a man at peace already.

Wal, I'm sure you can or will acquire this thing called peace, if you don't already have same.

Dean, Unfortunately, you're right about global peace. I wish more of us will indeed find that inner peace.

Again, thank you for all your great responses! :)

I read this quote once and I agree with it and quote it often: "World Peace through Racial Unity"

Incidentially, Peace is obviously a topic that could easily touch on both politics and religion, subjects that are off limits here on PalmTalk. I should add that Rotary is also an organization where politics and religion are off topic, so please let's all adhere to same. :)

Karolyn,

I too pondered this question for a while today. Many things come to mind and all of them would be right at certain time.

But what struck me first, and I came back to is a phrase I heard some time back. "Is this the hill you want to die on?"

To me what that means is "Is this given problem or person or situation worth losing your "peace" over."? Most things in our life are inconsequential as a whole, but some events are life-changing for you or others and it is at that point you have to make a decision.

Is no-peace now worth the peace attained later, or is it better for peace now but to risk no peace or freedom later?

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The absence of war can sound deceptively welcome until you realize that there are worse things than war.

just wondered what you meant by that,geraldo.care to elucidate? :hmm:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Not if we all decide otherwise.

Eventually, the Irish and the English made a deal and the Troubles ended.

(Go ahead and delete this if I've broken a rule. . . . .)

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Not if we all decide otherwise.

All deciding otherwise is a fantasy

Kona, on The Big Island

In a violent world peace on an indivual level is about the best most can hope for. And, this for the most part is a string of moments. I live in a violent country which unfortunately adds an edge of danger to everyday life that can shock one back from a peaceful state to everyday reality in the flash of a second. A few weeks ago I was waiting for a traffic light to change on a main street on a peaceful afternoon. When all of a sudden a guy was executed with over 40 rounds from automatic pistols while in his car not 15 feet from me. It was a tremendous shock as the scene unfolded and suddenly ended. As I sped off I could not believe what I had witnessed and a peaceful afternoon turned into the opposite. The guy executed was suspected of murder and key member of a gang specializing in robberies of high value targets here. In the end there is one less criminal. Either other gang members killed him to settle accounts, or possibly even elements of the police did it to keep him quite. But, I wish this had not happened in front of me. Every once in a while I see replays of the scene and it´s surreal moment. There are so many great things about living where I do. But, urban peace is not one of them.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Wow Don. :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes Bill it was a wow type of experience.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don- While I find it interesting, maybe you could edit out part of your posts and start a new thread. Somehow it all seems at odds with Karolyns "Peace" theme.

Bill :huh:

Don- While I find it interesting, maybe you could edit out part of your posts and start a new thread. Somehow it all seems at odds with Karolyns "Peace" theme.

Bill :huh:

Bill,

Done. You can check out the story on Palmpedia. I wish that the people of Brazil would at least get the daily violence issue under control. It is a great country with a great people. And, life should be more peaceful.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Peace - inner peace - is all I can hope to achieve and I work every day at it.

Peace is the state where you know the difference between what is important and what is not. And realizing that unless an event is life-threatening, it really isn't an emergency.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Bill huh.gif

Bill, respectfully, I do think that all of what Don said is relevant. Peace itself, is a relevant term. Peace for one, does not equal peace for another.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bill huh.gif

Bill, respectfully, I do think that all of what Don said is relevant. Peace itself, is a relevant term. Peace for one, does not equal peace for another.

Keith, I'm not sure you saw all of what was here prior. Don only had the link up for 30 minutes or so. I believe Don agreed an unedited video of what he described was not right in this thread.

Whats here now I think is fine and pertinent.

Bill huh.gif

Keith, I'm not sure you saw all of what was here prior. Don only had the link up for 30 minutes or so. I believe Don agreed an unedited video of what he described was not right in this thread.

Whats here now I think is fine and pertinent.

Ahhhh, I see. What is here now, is what I saw. So not having seen the original post, I shall take your word for it.

Kieth,

I figured Bill had a point. So, I changed things. You can get the whole story here, Gangland Execution . Peace is surely one of the most important things in life. Both on an individual and collective level. My point in posting something about this event is just how fast one can be thrown from one extreme to the other.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Kieth,

I figured Bill had a point. So, I changed things. You can get the whole story here, Gangland Execution . Peace is surely one of the most important things in life. Both on an individual and collective level. My point in posting something about this event is just how fast one can be thrown from one extreme to the other.

dk

Don,

Don't forget. To view and participate in the controversial uncensored Palmpedia forum, one must register and receive the password.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean,

We can always use more participants. I forgot to mention the registration and password part. I enjoy the forum a lot. And, I learn a few things in the process.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The absence of war can sound deceptively welcome until you realize that there are worse things than war.

just wondered what you meant by that,geraldo.care to elucidate? :hmm:

Like Don was thinking, I don't think elucidating that particular subject is appropriate for this forum. Ask me over at the other one.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Yow, Don, you had a day, for sure.

At least you didn't get shot.

Hmm.

Peace is elusive in LA, too.

When in lived in El Screamo (not far from where the Hoagies live now) I was out in the back watering my palms in pots, when I heard a vee-dub bug as it went putt-putting up the street below (I was on a hilltop) then heard some mighty crisp backfiring -POW POW POW!

Then, I heard a man yelling and the unmistakable blasts of a shotgun, BLAM BLAM BLAM.

Quiet, dogs barking, chickens squawking and me calling 911 to tell the cops. (Who came in a couple minutes!)

Yeah.

Peace! The final frontier!

Aloha All,

Thank you for all your comments.

Don, I'm sorry you had to witness such a violent scene.

Kitty, your statement is so very true.

And Bill, your statement made me go within and I believe we can choose to have peace now and later also at any time in our lives. Just realize that peace is the gracious cooperation between individuals, cultures and nations.

Good night for now and again THANK YOU! :)

Karolyn

Peace like a river ran through the city...

Peace train sounding louder....

All we are saying is give peace a chance...

Take another little peace of my heart now, baby....

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Karolyn,

To me, peace is a world in which everyone can go about their daily activities without offending the sensibilities of others. In this image, everyone needs to also be sensitive of how they behave in order to 'keep the peace'. This does not mean everyone stop interacting with everyone, but interaction in a supportive way. It means an end to ad hominem attackes in speech, and care of the homestead and environment.

It does not mean abandonment of technology nor withdrawal to a less developed world, unless you choose to.

It does mean that we need to rise above any percieved offenses that others may have made to us ot our family in the past, and to avoid inhumane activity. It also means there will be no interference in the daily lives of other.

Peace is nice, but very difficult to do.

You have a challenging topic here, but well worth the exercise.

Our best to you and Bo!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Karolyn,

As others have said this is a challanging subject. We live in a dangerous world and very few people are immune from violence and danger. When you look back at the history of our species one of the things that is rare is peace. Peace sometimes comes from domination such as the Pax Romana. Sometimes from living in places that have little to threaten the peace, such as a small rural town in many parts of the USA and elsewhere. But, most of us live in urban areas where violence in one form or another is a common part of everyday life. The event that I described above was not a good scene to say the least. We get a daily barage of violence here as elsewhere. And, who knows which is worse. There is no terrorism here so far. But, ramdom urban violence is a form of terrorism. I have had guns put to my head a few times in the past. Fortunately many years ago. I feel fortunate that I have never experienced war and hope not to either. I guess the best we can hope for is peace in our life for us and our families.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Peace to me means that hearing choppers and machine gun fire at night isn't "normal."

(hey, I live on a military complex now. It's commonplace dreamtime sound)

Peace means watching the daily news and not being horrified.

Peace means going to board a plane and not having to take off your shoes.

Peace means sending your children out to play with no fears. No fears at all.

Peace means no bizarre walls, no mounting aggressions, no campaigns against any sort of "terror" at all.

Societally speaking, peace means all of this and so much more.

Peace to me means that hearing choppers and machine gun fire at night isn't "normal."

(hey, I live on a military complex now. It's commonplace dreamtime sound)

Peace means watching the daily news and not being horrified.

Peace means going to board a plane and not having to take off your shoes.

Peace means sending your children out to play with no fears. No fears at all.

Peace means no bizarre walls, no mounting aggressions, no campaigns against any sort of "terror" at all.

Societally speaking, peace means all of this and so much more.

Annika, how I wish we still lived in your peace.

P.S.

I must mention, I like the posts on this thread. To speak of peace is to often recognize what it isn't.

And I love how some write what peace IS.

As a lover of Buddhist philosophy, I was taken with the concept a while ago of the "bodhisattva"...which is basically a being who commits to remaining with all other creatures of the world until each and every one was "enlightened." Delaying their own enlightenment so that they might be a conduit for others to also "transcend" earthly challenges. Its a core concept in Tibetan Buddhist thought.

The idea of humans (throw in other creatures there if you like) committing to "stick around" until we all get this peace thing figured out is pretty huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Wal, it would be wonderful if we all gave Peace a chance.

Thank you John, for your beautiful thoughts. If we all could remember not to offend the sensibilities of others, what a great planet this would be.

Don, I often think of the human species and what's missing in our makeup.

My Princess, I love and agree with your response. :)

Keith, you stated you wished we stilled lived in Annika's Peace. Well, has anyone ever lived in that Peace?

Thank you to all who responded. :) I have a few hundred replies from other sources. I'll come back and post the results and inform all where they can see the replies compiled in one place. Again THANK YOU. :)

Karolyn

• 3 years later...

I hope this works. This post was some time ago. What can some of you say today regarding your feeling on PEACE.

The projest was a success back in 2010.

Let's look at same today!

I looked this topic up on google and posted this message at said site. It's been a long time and I did not know how to find this topic here on the forum. I do hope some of you have a few words to add!

Karolyn

Peace comes from within...

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Only peaceful people will have peace. It's impossible to teach,force or bribe it. The ones who want peace will find it.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

You can't find peace, it will find you.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

FWIW....

I believe there are two kinds of peace. True peace and false peace.

False peace is the absense of conflict. But also absent are justice and freedom. False peace is a circumstantial calm. It is the "Stepford Wives" of peace.

True peace simply 'IS'...regardless of circumstance. It is a gift given to each individual not groups or nations. It cannot be manufactured, grown, or built. It comes from beyond our flawed human ability to love. But is pure, unconditional, sacrificial love. From true love comes real peace.