IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Plant Show 2010

Gbarce

Licuala Orbicularis. Looks like these were just recently imported -- notice the crumpled leaves.

post-1017-12648990847033_thumb.jpg

You should wait a while before buying stuff like this. Often times the vendors import stuff just before the show and the plants haven't acclimated yet, let alone established in their new pot. Often times they do poorly , even die months after you bought them.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Hydrastelles I think.

The entire leaf ones are H. Flabellata

post-1017-12648996092672_thumb.jpg

The small dark green bifid ones with the very rounded leaves I was hoping to be Hydrastelle cariosa but I think the leaves eventually split and become pinnate like the taller palms in the photo. I don't know which species that is.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Gene,

pinoy here in Vero Beach, Florida. Kamusta pare? How much are those palms going for?? Do we have botanical garden In Phil?? Lastly, where is this local show at ??

Gene,

pinoy here in Vero Beach, Florida. Kamusta pare? How much are those palms going for?? Do we have botanical garden In Phil?? Lastly, where is this local show at ??

Hmmm... i didn't ask prices for all of them but from what I remember:

(current exchange rate is around P47 to the US dollar-- so just divide the price I quote by 47)

The full grown Coccothrinax Crinita was P280,000

The Licuala Orbicularis were P20,000

The Variegated Rhapis (white variegation) was P20,000 too

THe unknown variegated seedling (the one I was guessing is Areca Catechu) was P8,000

But it's kind of weird over here -- there is often a different price depending on who's asking. Particularly true if its a very collectible plant. Plus there is a lot of haggling involved so the quoted price is often not the price that the plant ends up selling for.

Kind of weird that for a tropical country --we don't have a botanical garden to speak of. Certainly nothing as grand as Fairchild Botanical in Florida. I've heard of the Makiling Botanical (in one of the recent issue of Palms) but I've never been there and its pretty out of the way-- not something that the general public of Metro Manila has access to. The closest thing we have to botanical gardens are our shopping malls

This Plant show is in the Manila Seedling Bank in Quezon City

Gene

Manila, Philippines

We should start one you know. " National pride " What do you think? Here in Vero I go through cold snap often, my tropicals here survives but never thrive. Some dont even make it to see another day, its disheartening.

Really?? What a shame.... Singapore has a Botanical garden, Indonesia has theirs too, Malaysia has one as far as I know, so I think you should have one!! And you have such beautiful medinilla.... any photos of those, Gene?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gene,

Good thing that Plant Show is not here in Darwin, otherwise I think I have to get a second mortgage on the house!! You are not joking about prices on some of those palms.. They are not cheap!!

The medinilla is gorgeous...!! I have never seen one with reddish leaves before...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

#23 has been identified as Dillenia philippinesis.

I was told it is not a D. philippinensis, which has serrated leaves.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

As far as I know, D. alata is the one with rounder leaves, but it is a shrub, but I am willing to be proven wrong....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You are not suppose to enter the display areas but I think this lady is the owner of this plant.

Nice way to show the size of this fern. Platycerium Grande I think is the second largest of the Platyceriums. Only P.Wandae from Indonesia is larger.

post-1017-1265516158291_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

• 8 years later...
On 1/30/2010, 7:57:46, Gbarce said:

What we have now identified as Calyptrocalyx yamutumene

post-1017-12648994332357_thumb.jpg

post-1017-1264899449768_thumb.jpg

@CB Lisa Check this out! :wub: Trying to find some info on C. yamu and came across these gorgeous pics!

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: