IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cats and Dogs and the Devil Beating his Wife

Alicehunter2000

We are going through some pretty extreme weather right now. It's literally dumping rain right now....no hail in my location but I'm not so sure about areas surrounding me. Lightning and thunder popping all over...suprised I havn't lost power. Tornado watch in effect all morning. Winds are gusting 30 plus..........nasty, nasty weather...........soon to be at a location near you (if you live east and south of me)

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

That front looks pretty hairy on radar!!!

Hopefully it will loose some intensity by the time it gets here.

This is the worst time of year late winter/early spring, for tornado out breaks in Florida. The cold fronts hitting moist tropical air as it moves south.

But this is only Florida, we have these winter/spring storms, then also deal with severe afternoon thunderstorms all summer,when the east coast sea breeze meets the west coast sea breeze... and BAM!

edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention hurricanes!!! :lol:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

This is the worst time of year late winter/early spring, for tornado out breaks in Florida. The cold fronts hitting moist tropical air as it moves south.

The worst ones seem to form in late winter, definitely. Who can forget the nightmare in 1998, I think it was 2/23 or thereabouts - the carnage stretched across central FL from Kissimmee to Cocoa up to Sanford which got nailed the worst. Killed more people even than Andrew.

The action of the cold fronts on the warm air that Scot mentioned create similar conditions to those out in the Midwest and produce the big cyclones. Other times of year, in FL, smaller ones form - usually of the waterspout variety.

With EN peaking - and waning - FL could have trouble this winter.

TX and AL got hit badly yesterday - this storm packed a wicked punch. David, hope you got through it okay in Panama City - there was some serious red on radar there, eek.

Edited by SunnyFl

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Thanks....yes it was pretty bad....hope its not a harbinger of things to come. Most of my stuff handled it pretty well.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

When it finally got here last night, I don't think it was quite as bad as in the panhandle.

Still a number of imbedded severe thunder cells that packed a punch, with a lot of rain.

Interestingly it didn't move south much, just kept pushing cell after cell directly across the state moving west to east.

I received 2.40 inches over night!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

We are going through some pretty extreme weather right now. It's literally dumping rain right now....no hail in my location but I'm not so sure about areas surrounding me. Lightning and thunder popping all over...suprised I havn't lost power. Tornado watch in effect all morning. Winds are gusting 30 plus..........nasty, nasty weather...........soon to be at a location near you (if you live east and south of me)

We flew through this stuff on our way into Tampa. They had to reroute our flight twice, and right about when we were over Jacksonville it got VERY VERY "bumpy" to the point of being unsettling. We could clearly see the line of thunderstorms, but man oh man was it BEAUTIFUL, especially looking off west into the setting sun with the masssive towers of cumulus / cumulonimbus clouds looking like a cloud city casting long shadows. I was glad to be back on the ground after that craziness for sure. Not the most fun flight for the last 45 minutes of it.