IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"California Storms to be Unrelenting"

happ

6 inchs of rain in the last squal, marble to golf ball sized hail for about 10 min, 2 casualties on the palms, tornado hit in lake forest, and streets are flooded.

Edited by Palmfreek

6 inchs of rain in the last squal, marble to golf ball sized hail for about 10 min, 2 casualties on the palms, tornado hit in lake forest, and streets are flooded.

"Six inches" :blink: Only about an inch at my house but it all came down in about 30 minutes w/ a tiny bit of hail. This isn't good for our trees!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

San Clemente: data for Coastal T-Street Area station KCASANCL3

Temperature: -60.3 °F 63.9 °F 53.6 °F 57.6 °F

Dew Point: -50.1 °F 60.8 °F 45.6 °F 51.3 °F

Humidity: -69% 98% 64% 80%

Wind Speed: -5.8mph 28.0mph - 6.0mph

Wind Gust: -16.3mph 28.0mph - -

Wind: West - - East

Pressure: -29.23in 29.47in 29.12in -

Precipitation: -0.51in

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Golf ball size hail!!!!! That's what I'd fear the most and a direct hit from a tornado. At least a tornado is localised and you have to be pretty unlucky to get a direct hit. But hail can blanket a wide area.

I wish you guys all the best.

This thread keeps you right up to date with your weather. It's better than the news.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Unfortunately, this is nothing compared to what's going to hit Thursday. :o

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

At the resort in Del Mar today it was blowin hard. About the time they issued a tornado warning for north San Diego county big Monterey Cyprus limbs started cracking and falling into the street. In no time at all the street was impassible. I heard a loud crack and watched a huge limb fall right onto a parked car :blink: . I would say the gust were over 60 mph. So far so good at my place. I had to stake up a couple of wobbly palms but that was it. I've had 2.50" of precip. so far in my garden :drool: . Get ready... this next storm is supposed to have hair on it :unsure: .

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

for those who havnt heard a tornado also hit in huntington harbor picked up a large catamaran and moved it about thirty feet while other small boats 25ft and under where over turned.

Storm total rain, yesterday and today 2.1 inches at my place. More than usual, but it sure seemed a lot heavier than that downtown, and blowing sideways to boot.

Gonzer, yes, we are wimps! :lol: But it is so much more dramatic than the usual ..."early morning fog and low clouds followed by sunshine..."

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Channel 7 interviewed people in Costa Mesa where a brief tornado touched down. Hopefully the footage of the tornado will be posted to U-Tube soon. Damaged occurred in Orange county out into Corona when a line of thunderstorms moved thru.

Unfortunately, the worst storms are still hundreds of miles out to sea and appear to be more violent when they hit tomorrow and especially Thursday.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Storm total rain, yesterday and today 2.1 inches at my place. More than usual, but it sure seemed a lot heavier than that downtown, and blowing sideways to boot.

Gonzer, yes, we are wimps! :lol: But it is so much more dramatic than the usual ..."early morning fog and low clouds followed by sunshine..."

Welcome to a Louisiana summer.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/recent/model_images/socal_now.png

I wouldn't want to be at sea right now. :blink:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 inches of hail on the fwy in Sacramento caused a 3 car overturn accident. I have heard nothing but sirens all day today working out of the house.

Tomorrow should be a little worse than today, according to the local news.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

LA county fire department has issued a mandatory evacuation for 9AM tomorrow in the areas around the "Station" fire [Tujunga\ La Canada\ La Crescenta] affecting 500 homes. They don't think they can hold back the mud any longer! :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Wow! That's a hook!

That's what I thought! Were there any tornados where it formed?

I doubt anyone on the E. Coast is underestimating what you all in Cali are going thru. 90+ mph winds, tornados (!!), and 993 mb is a very scary situation - also, with your hills and mountains, there's the threat of mudslides.

Please stay safe, everyone in the storms' paths. And Matty, your grandma is lucky that pine fell away from the house - those things can cause havoc in high winds.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

LA county fire department has issued a mandatory evacuation for 9AM tomorrow in the areas around the "Station" fire [Tujunga\ La Canada\ La Crescenta] affecting 500 homes. They don't think they can hold back the mud any longer! :blink:

Yikes, mudslides is something I am happy I don't have to deal with.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Man, it is blowing something fierce here. Probably worse than yesterday. Though, it wasn't supposed to.

How do you know it is going to be worse? Mind you it might very well be worse than either today or yesterday, but who knows maybe not?

Yesterday was supposed to be worse than today from the original forecast, and even the forecast for today as of early this morning, today wasn't supposed to be as bad as yesterday. From everything I have checked today and seen, wind wise, if not rain wise, was far worse today. So they were off on the last 2 storms, so maybe you will get a break and the next storm won't be as bad as predicted.

Good luck out there!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

So far it has been much,much less then advertised.

We have not recieved 2 inches of rain yet and the highest wind gust was 37 mph.

Today we did not even stop working at the nursery (3 hours of soft rain).

After lunch we had a tornado warning - before it expired we had sunshine.

It seems kind of crazy, but in any case we are very well prepared

should the second half of the week turn out to be "as advertised".

I have the feeling that the high speed of the systems is not allowing for high amounts of rain

to accumilate because both previous systems were out of here many hours prior to the predicted time.

Well, we will see.

I hope for lots of soft rain (to always rain thru the night and come to an end in the morning).

Happy leaching,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Today was great here on the Central Coast! Torential rain at 10AM with a little thunder & lightning, then by noon warm sunshine with scattered clouds the rest of the day. So far only upside here, so I hope the heaviest rain hits my area and not the recent burn areas in SoCal. Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Man, it is blowing something fierce here. Probably worse than yesterday. Though, it wasn't supposed to.

How do you know it is going to be worse? Mind you it might very well be worse than either today or yesterday, but who knows maybe not?

Yesterday was supposed to be worse than today from the original forecast, and even the forecast for today as of early this morning, today wasn't supposed to be as bad as yesterday. From everything I have checked today and seen, wind wise, if not rain wise, was far worse today. So they were off on the last 2 storms, so maybe you will get a break and the next storm won't be as bad as predicted.

Good luck out there!

Good point. However, they have been pretty solid on most parts of the forecast and if you look at the positioning of the jet stream for Thursday you can see the problem. Maybe it won't be as bad as they forecast. Wouldn't be the first time they got it wrong.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I only got 1'' in south San Clemente, but I was driving thru San Juan Capistrano around 2pm in the hardest downpour I've seen in years! I bet it dumped several inches in a matter of 15min. every car came to a stop because you could'nt see thru the waterfall.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Checked my trusty rainbucket, and it has about 3" (7.5 cm) of water in it.

We had a few winds up here, but no major damage.

I understand that an SUV got overturned by the wind in Huntington Beach. . . . .

Hmm. Will this be Thursday, Bloody Thursday?

Stay tuned . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I understand that an SUV got overturned by the wind in Huntington Beach. . . . .

Stay tuned . . . .

I can see it on the now, the next hit SciFi movie "Thunderstorms in LA" with an overturned SUV in the trailer. Next scene is Dave hanging onto his palm as it heads down the street in a mudslide. Already at the bottom is Paul in a pile of sewer and palms. To the rescue comes MattyB in a super Humv, but he just can't do it.. But not to worry, as Bill has modified a normal air conditioner unit into a weather modification device and save the entire state of Cali.

Stay tuned . . . .

I can see it on the now, the next hit SciFi movie "Thunderstorms in LA" with an overturned SUV in the trailer. Next scene is Dave hanging onto his palm as it heads down the street in a mudslide. Already at the bottom is Paul in a pile of sewer and palms. To the rescue comes MattyB in a super Humv, but he just can't do it.. But not to worry, as Bill has modified a normal air conditioner unit into a weather modification device and save the entire state of Cali.

You forgot a nuclear missile. Most of those sort of movies need something to do with a nuclear missile in there.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Stay tuned . . . .

You forgot a nuclear missile. Most of those sort of movies need something to do with a nuclear missile in there.

Well.......I guess it would have to be a BIG air conditioner if I have too. :blink:

Seriously, I've had about 2" here, but yesterday morning when I was getting ready to leave, I found a panel from my greenhouse in my backyard out in my front yard under my truck tire! And the usual big palms in pots blown over.

Also, last I heard was less wind, more rain on this one.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Woke up this AM to heavy rain and wind around 20 MPH......much more ugly than yesterday.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Thursday computer forecast

NATIONAL_WEATHER_NOON_SECOND_DAY_full.JPG

Hope y ou guys in California are doing ok! It is interesting to see how CA is dealing with all this. Its a pretty big deal for out there given the normal, fairly tranquil conditions. For much of the rest of the country, this kind of "heavy weather" is fairly common, especially in spring / summer.

I hope that that map is not totally correct. I have been following this all week because those storms are heading east along the gulf, and as I thought, the timing is going to work out bad for me. If that map above is correct, I will be flying right though all that rough weather on my way to Tampa, FL. Fortunately the forecast for the time I am down there (6 days) is looking very very nice for the most part. At least ill be getting out of DC in time. The rain is supposed to turn to an icy mix here Friday night and could cause some travel problems.

Good luck with all the weather in CA. I hope the mudslides hold off. That is one thing we do NOT have to deal with out here in the east.

Edited by DCA_Palm_Fan

Some interesting photos on the Channel 7\ KABC site:

losangelesstorm4.jpg

losangelesstorm5.jpg

losangelesstorm6.jpg

losangelesstorm7.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Those are incredible photos, Happ.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Those are incredible photos, Happ.

There are hundreds of photos on hundreds of sites. That last photo of the guy on a surfboard looks a some sort of rescue personnel or a lifeguard blown off the beach & has no idea where he is :lol:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hope y ou guys in California are doing ok! It is interesting to see how CA is dealing with all this. Its a pretty big deal for out there given the normal, fairly tranquil conditions. For much of the rest of the country, this kind of "heavy weather" is fairly common, especially in spring / summer.

I hope that that map is not totally correct. I have been following this all week because those storms are heading east along the gulf, and as I thought, the timing is going to work out bad for me. If that map above is correct, I will be flying right though all that rough weather on my way to Tampa, FL. Fortunately the forecast for the time I am down there (6 days) is looking very very nice for the most part. At least ill be getting out of DC in time. The rain is supposed to turn to an icy mix here Friday night and could cause some travel problems.

Good luck with all the weather in CA. I hope the mudslides hold off. That is one thing we do NOT have to deal with out here in the east.

Have fun in Tampa, KJ [should be quite nice.

You are, of-course, correct about severe thunderstorms\ winds being sort of alien to California [the average is 10 or less a year] and most come during winter. What's different about this particular event is that it is pretty cold\ triggering violent weather. Some climatologists are staying these are not "true" El Nino storms since they are hitting California straight-on & not out of the tropics. The incredible Arctic Oscillation this year is disrupting a more typical El Nino. Due to the 200mph jet stream the storms are really quick w/ torrential rain\ 45+mph winds & into Arizona within a few hours. Two weeks ago, meteorologists were "seeing" lots of cold with heavy rain/ wind & they were correct. My concern is when it completely clears later in the week. :unsure:

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I fared pretty well. Broken screen door, pots blown over, trees leaned but not uprooted (they were staked & crowns were topped this time), no roof leaks thank God, although I'm missing a few shingles. I got 3/4" of rain at my place in 3 hours yesterday. Erosion is starting to kick in in some spots. I just hope no mud slides tomorrow on my muddy clay road, it's very saturated. Beautiful morning here today, blue skies, warm sun.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Not good news for now and for later in the week when it get's colder :o

NWS_LA

A BRIEF LULL IN THE ACTION WITH ONLY A FEW SHOWERS ACROSS THE AREA. THIS WILL CHANGE QUICKLY THIS MORNING. AHEAD OF THE MAIN FRONT SCATTERED SHOWERS ARE FORMING ACROSS THE WATERS AND THIS WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE THROUGH THE MORNING. ANOTHER VERY POWERFUL FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE AREA TODAY...IT WILL REACH L.A. COUNTY SHORTLY BEFORE NOON AND THEN EXIT EARLY IN THE EVENING. THE WINDS NOT THE RAIN WILL BE THE MAIN STORY TODAY...THIS FRONT CONTAINS SOME EXTRAORDINARY LOW LEVEL WINDS AND WILL LIKELY PRODUCE DAMAGING WARNING LEVEL GUSTS TO 60 MPH ACROSS ALL THE SOUTHERN COASTS AND VLYS ALONG WITH GUSTS TO 70-80 MPH ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN AND SLO AND SBA COUNTY AS IT MOVES THROUGH THE AREA. THE RAIN WILL BE VERY STRONG AND COASTAL AND VLY AREAS CAN EXPECT 1-2 INCHES OF RAIN WITH THE MTNS SEEING 2-4 LOCALLY 5 INCHES THROUGH THIS EVENING. MAXIMUM RAINFALL RATES OF 1.50 INCHES PER HOUR WILL OCCUR UNDER TSTMS AND ON FAVORED SOUTH FACING SLOPES. THIS SYSTEM IS LOOKING VERY CONVECTIVE WITH LIGHTNING ALREADY OCCURRING. IN FACT AT 18Z THE ENTIRE CWA IS IN THE LEFT FRONT QUADRANT OF A 170 KT JET WHOSE MAXIMUM IS IS OVER SAN NICOLAS ISLAND. THIS SORT OF JET DYNAMICS WILL WILL ALLOW FOR TSTM DEVELOPMENT AND THESE THUNDERSTORMS COULD SPAWN WATERSPOUTS OR SMALL TORNADOS. WITH SO MUCH STRAIGHT LINE WINDS ALREADY IN PLACE IT WILL BE DIFFICULT TO DIFFERENTIATE TSTM DOWNBURST WINDS FROM THE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS. SATELLITE SHOWS A NICE VORT MAX ROTATING BEHIND THE FRONT. THIS IS A FEATURE THAT HAS BEEN MISSING THE PAST TWO DAYS AND WILL LIKELY KEEP MUCH MORE CLOUDS AND SHOWERS GOING BEHIND THE FRONT.

THE HUGE PARENT 507DM GULF OF ALASKA UPPER LOW WILL CONTINUE TO SPIN AND THE SECOND IMPULSE OF THIS WED/THU STORM WILL APPROACH THE AREA THURSDAY MORNING. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING LOOKING STORMS OF THE LAST 20 YEARS. AT 700 AM A TRIPLE SURFACE LOW STRUCTURE WSW OF POINT CONCEPTION APPROACHES THE AREA AND THEN CONSOLIDATES INTO A DOUBLE LOW STRUCTURE AND SWEEPS OVER THE AREA. AT THIS TIME THE MDLS ARE SHOWING AN EXTRAORDINARILY VIGOROUS WEATHER SITUATION OVER THE ENTIRE AREA LATE IN THE MORNING AND EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON AS MAXIMUM CYCLONIC JET DYNAMICS INTERACT WITH A POWERFUL SURFACE FRONT. AT THIS TIME THERE WILL BE STRONG THUNDERSTORMS...HEAVY RAIN...POWERFUL WIND GUSTS...AND MOUNTAIN SNOW DOWN TO 5000 FEET.

AS THE THE SURFACE LOW CONSOLIDATES AND DEEPENS IT WILL SLOW EVERYTHING DOWN AND THE STORMY WEATHER WILL CONTINUE FOR A LONGER PERIOD THAN IT HAS FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS. AGAIN MAX RAINFALL RATES OF 1.5 INCHES PER HOUR AND RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1-2 INCHES OF RAIN WITH THE MTNS SEEING 2-4 LOCALLY 5 INCHES THROUGH THIS EVENING ARE LIKELY WITH THIS SECOND IMPULSE AND IF THE WRF FORECAST IS CORRECT BOTH THESE VALUES WILL HAVE TO BE RAISED UPWARDS.

THE MAIN DYNAMICS OF THE SYSTEM MOVE OUT THURSDAY EVENING BUT LOTS OF COLD AIR WILL SPILL IN AND CREATE A VERY SHOWERY ENVIRONMENT ALONG WITH 4000 FOOT SNOW LEVELS. SHOWERS WILL LAST INTO FRIDAY MORNING. RAINFALL AMOUNTS WITH THESE SHOWERS WILL BE MUCH LESS THAN WITH EITHER THE IMPULSES TODAY OR TOMORROW. FRIDAY WILL BE A VERY COLD DAY 535DM HGTS OVERHEAD WITH COASTAL AND VLY MAX TEMPS STRUGGLING TO REACH EVEN 55 DEGREES. CYCLONIC TURNING AND THE COLD AIR ALOFT WILL KEEP THE SHOWER THREAT GOING THROUGH THE DAY.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Have fun in Tampa, KJ [should be quite nice.

You are, of-course, correct about severe thunderstorms\ winds being sort of alien to California [the average is 10 or less a year] and most come during winter. What's different about this particular event is that it is pretty cold\ triggering violent weather. Some climatologists are staying these are not "true" El Nino storms since they are hitting California straight-on & not out of the tropics. The incredible Arctic Oscillation this year is disrupting a more typical El Nino. Due to the 200mph jet stream the storms are really quick w/ torrential rain\ 45+mph winds & into Arizona within a few hours. Two weeks ago, meteorologists were "seeing" lots of cold with heavy rain/ wind & they were correct. My concern is when it completely clears later in the week. :unsure:

Thanks! ITs my third trip there, and second in the last 3 months. I love that area down there for sure, and part of the reason I am taking these trips is to plan for a move to the Tampa / St. Petersburg area. (probably St. Petersburg)

I have been reading about the North Atlantic Oscillation this winter, which is what caused the massive severe cold outbreak in the east/ southeast. I thought it had "broken down" or perhaps it just moved farther west? Its been fairly nice, more sunny than not, and in the 50's / 60s here in the DC area for the better part of a week now, and aside from a few "cold" days with some sleet/ freezing rain late Thursday night/ into Friday, it should stay average (43F) to 10F above average for at least another week or two. This is definitely a "January Thaw" were going through now, thank goodness. Anyway, I have been seeing that the next storm that is going to come in to the west in a few days is really a very cold storm and is supposed to be much stronger than the previous storms, and will shunt farther south, bringing daytime highs to around 50-55F for SoCal. In this current storm there looks like a big nasty blob with a bow echo thats bright yellow and red heading straight for Santa Barbara / Ventura / Oxnard, on up towards San Luis Obispo, that could be bringing with it more rotation and very high winds / possible tornadoes. I guess the positive side of this ( if there is any really) is that your drought will have a nice dent put in it, and the tornadoes you do get, should be mostly along the F0 range. They cause damage for sure, but not nearly the catastrophic damage the F3-F5 range wreak. Im mostly concerned about the mudslides, especially in and around the burn areas. Ive been keeping in contact with my good friend in Calabassas, and another over in Thousand Oaks, and so far it has not been TOO bad for them. My best friends mother lives in Sacramento, and they are getting HAMMERED with very heavy rains at the moment. Hopefully things wont get too bad! Keeping my fingers crossed for CA!

The winds were VERY strong in Huntington Beach yesterday. Did not get any tornados landing at the house, but the winds did manage to uproot three of my hopseed bush/trees that were over fifteen feet tall. No palm casualties so far... Power lines snapped for over a mile by our house leaving us without electricity for almost 20 hours.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Wow! That's a hook!

That's what I thought! Were there any tornados where it formed?

I doubt anyone on the E. Coast is underestimating what you all in Cali are going thru. 90+ mph winds, tornados (!!), and 993 mb is a very scary situation - also, with your hills and mountains, there's the threat of mudslides.

Please stay safe, everyone in the storms' paths. And Matty, your grandma is lucky that pine fell away from the house - those things can cause havoc in high winds.

???

you guys get hurricanes out there - this is no where near as bad.

It looks like Thousand Oaks and Los Angeles are in the cross-hairs for todays round of excitement.

I haven't seen any red density hit San Diego County so far with this series of storms. Lots of yellow and a bit of orange.

Edit: That bottom cell is now heading for Long Beach.

post-662-1264024745_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)