IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"California Storms to be Unrelenting"

happ

Data for Oceanside MADIS station MD0395

Dew Point: -57.0 °F 57.0 °F 53.0 °F 54.6 °F

Humidity: -96% 96% 92% 93%

Wind Speed -16.0mph - 17.0mph - 5.0mph

Wind Gust: -16.0mph - 25.0mph

Wind: -SSE - - -SSE

Pressure: -29.75in 29.94in 29.68in -

Precipitation: -0.96in

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Well, it's been said that California doesn't get hurricanes, but the forecast seems to read like a hurricane that stays around for a couple of weeks and takes the whole state out. That's actually worse than a hurricane. At least a hurricane has an eye, a certain size and a track, and in reality most people escape the worst in a hurricane. You have to be very unlucky to get in the eye and eye wall. But 200mph winds hitting the ground in the mountains!!!! That's hurricane talk.

All the best to you guys. This is one memorable winter for the northern hemisphere. I hope the earth has calmed down in 6 months time. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just now dark, a lull in the rain, checked the rain gauge, 1.4" today so far.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Where can you go to find local precip amount totals that are current?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

weatherunderground, then click on wunder map, then click on weather station (little circle with temp) you want, a box will come up,then click on the actual station it will give a detailed report of all data, including precipitation amounts since 12:00 AM until now, as well as hourly precipitation totals!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Here's a link to a personal weather station that's just the other side of the 78 from you. It uses a Davis station which has the best accuracy of all personal weather stations so it's good info.

Vista Weather Station

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

"Round 1" has pretty much moved out of California tonight leaving lots of broken tree limbs but no downed trees in my neighborhood so far. Wind gusts around 45mph for my location but no power outage here. Rain total since yesterday is 2.70. Things are calm now but tomorrow another storm moves ashore & a very powerful storm around Wednesday\ Thursday.

Too early to assess damage.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wind gusts hammered us in San Juan Cap. My place is totaly surrounded by a hill and tall homes and still my potted stuff blew over. No major damage other than a plumeria loosing two branches.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Here's a link to a personal weather station that's just the other side of the 78 from you. It uses a Davis station which has the best accuracy of all personal weather stations so it's good info.

Vista Weather Station

Thanks Matt. I have bookmarked it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It must have been really pouring. I had all the bark topping in a planting bed washed out of place and in front of my back gate. I don't have rain gutters, so unexpected things happen.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I vote "NO" on tornados.

Duly noted . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hmm lookie at the rain gauge . . . . .

Three inches! Well, not bad, not bad, but I was disgusted when the sun broke through the clouds in mid-afty, to light up everything . . . . .

More rain is all right by me.

Ya-hoo!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Three inches! Well, not bad, not bad, but I was disgusted when the sun broke through the clouds in mid-afty, to light up everything . . . . .

Ya-hoo!

:lol: I have to admit that I also didn't want to see the sun this afternoon since so often "major" storms wimp out on us. But by this weekend we may be happy for the rain to stop. Looks like a nice weekend coming up.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Finally, a storm with some significant rain. The first "wave" that came through 3 days ago was a whimp.......just drizzle here. Yesterday, strong winds and moderate rain. It's been raining here for two hours this morning and it's heavy rain. Already reports of flooding in low lying areas in the San Francisco Bay area. There are high wind warnings on all the Bay Area bridges this morning, a good day to stay home. Temps. have remained almost a constant 50F, day and night since the rains arrived. There is lots more to come.

Dick

Richard Douglas

The inground spa overflowed this morning, the Koi pond will by the ende of the week. No obvious hill slippage in the backyard, the sand is allowing percolation so far. Not worrying about the cold right now, maybe by theend of the week. However, I heard this pattern may stretch out for 2 weeks.....good for the state. If anyone mentions drought, he mnay be in for some reeducation.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Ya-hoo!

:lol: I have to admit that I also didn't want to see the sun this afternoon since so often "major" storms wimp out on us. But by this weekend we may be happy for the rain to stop. Looks like a nice weekend coming up.

From the NWS-SD this morning.

THERE REMAINS THE POSSIBILTY THAT THE STORM

FOR THURSDAY COULD BRING THE ALL TIME LOWEST PRESSURE TO SAN DIEGO

LINDBERGH FIELD...BELOW 993 MB/29.32 INCHES.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

.8 inches of rain at my place in about 4 hours. Not bad. I had some minor road wash out problems but it was easily fixed once I made a gully to drain away the water from crossing the road. Wind was strong but tolerable. My stuff is all staked and use to 40MPH winds. If it gets up over 60MPH then it sucks. I just lay over all my potted plants for the storm duration. They're gonna fall anyway, no way around that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I recieved about 2" of rain. We had a squal pass thru that dumped most that rain in a short time period. With the squal came moderate winds (30mph or less) which was not a problem. That's 6" of rain total for the season here in Corona, CA. I should be back in the rain by 11:00 am.

test

Here's a link to wunderground for La Habra . . .

If you care!

CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO LA LA HA HA BRA

Probably about 2" here as well, judging from the pool water level change. Pretty windy, but just enough to knock over a few pots. Had to prop up the pot with the big ole' 15 gallon Rhop. Bauerii from Matty.... Looks like we're starting to get some more rain now... here we go again :)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

It's been coming down steady for the last 1/2 hour now. Current rainfall rate is 1/4"/hr.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

There's been a circulation offshore that is about to come inland. :o

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OXNARD CA

1236 PM PST TUE JAN 19 2010

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OXNARD HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTH CENTRAL LOS ANGELES COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF LONG BEACH...

* UNTIL 115 PM PST

* AT 1232 PM PST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 16 MILES

SOUTHWEST OF LONG BEACH...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

WHITTIER

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Check out what's about to hit Huntington Beach...

post-662-1263932839_thumb.jpg

post-662-1263933204_thumb.jpg

Severe thunderstorm in LA now. I was out trying to upright heavy pots when a lightning bolt flashed overhead w/ thunder so loud that car alarms went off! :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I just put the radar map in motion... that red shape is spinning, counterclockwise. Watch out Dave(s)!

Wow! That's a hook!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

As someone who knows almost too well, when your hair starts to tingle and stand-up, hit the dirt hard and fast!

What you look for is what is looking

My grandma just called me and her 30 foot tall pine tree just got completely uprooted and blown over. It was planted 15 feet from the house but luckily it blew over the other way. No structural damage done. She wants me to come over and "fix it"......now :o 1. I can't fix that. and B, I ain't going out in the storm to cut up a tree.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Rain is letting up here at the moment.... for a while it was sideways sheets of water with some lightning/thunder. Lots of freaked out parents calling us at the school district thinking their kids were about to blow away.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

My grandma just called me and her 30 foot tall pine tree just got completely uprooted and blown over. It was planted 15 feet from the house but luckily it blew over the other way. No structural damage done. She wants me to come over and "fix it"......now :o 1. I can't fix that. and B, I ain't going out in the storm to cut up a tree.

What kind of Grandson are you?

Man, it is blowing something fierce here. Probably worse than yesterday. Though, it wasn't supposed to.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Apparently a tornado touched down in Long Beach. Channel 9 is showing a car turned over and a roof blown off. Blue skies are peeking thru the clouds at my place. Lost another tree limb & palms are getting whipped around too much. By the end of week we should be able to assess all the damage.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Another Tornado Warning for Carlsbad to San Clemente.

Tornado Warning

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

219 PM PST TUE JAN 19 2010

CAC059-073-192230-

/O.CON.KSGX.TO.W.0003.000000T0000Z-100119T2230Z/

SAN DIEGO CA-ORANGE CA-

219 PM PST TUE JAN 19 2010

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 230 PM PST FOR

SOUTHEASTERN ORANGE AND NORTHWESTERN SAN DIEGO COUNTIES...

AT 212 PM PST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO

INDICATED A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS...CAPABLE OF PRODUCING

TORNADOES...1 INCH DIAMETER HAIL...AND GUSTY WINDS TO 60 MPH...

BETWEEN CARLSBAD AND SAN CLEMENTE. THE STORMS WERE MOVING NORTHEAST

AT ABOUT 30 MPH.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ahhh crap! I don't know how to do a screen capture of the radar but we're right in line for a big red blob. It's starting to hit hard now, Lemon Grove & Spring Valley. :unsure:

Winds are gusting to 30MPH at least here at the office. I can't imaging what it's like at home right now. Oh dear.

3/4" of rain in two hours. That's a lot for us.

post-126-1263939483_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's bad outside, the rain has been relentless and the power just went out. The gusts of wind must be up in the 60MPH range. One Avocado tree snapped right in front of me while I was looking out the window. If I did not tie up all of my Tropical Trees I would have lost some of them already. All this and they say the worst of it arrives Wed night.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Line of severe thunderstorms\ tornado warning over San Diego out to El Cajon. Weather Channel reported 90mph gust in Newport Beach. Flooded streets in LA

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

lived in san diego my whole life except one year in north texas.

after spending a april there and taking a direct hit from a supercell this all does not seem so bad...................

looks kind of like this coming at ya..................(not fun)

katrina-storm12.jpg

Edited by trioderob

People on the East Coast and Midwest must be having a good laugh at the way Californians go to pieces when rain falls.

Not really. Your soil and terrain is not able to deal with large quantities of water at once the way ours is. I also know that lots of water and steep hills can make a deadly combination. I just hope you guys come though with as little damage as possible. Let's hope after this week that we have both seen the worst of the winter season.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County