IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Travels with Colin

Daryl

Colin (palmsforpleasure) spent the last few days travelling around SE Queensland, prior to presenting a travelogue to the Brisbane Palm and Cycad Society tonight. His lovely wife Denise accompanied him, and he spent time travelling with Wal, myself and Mike (newcal) to some of the nicer gardens and areas in this neck of the woods. The weather was great, we saw plenty of great palms and enjoyed many a beer and BBQ together. Here's a few photos of our trip to Springbrook on the Gold Coast hinterland.  This is a mountain plateau at about 4000ft elevation, and contains some great rainforest, along with three native palm species.

Colin and Denise arrive...bearing gifts!

colanddenise.jpg

Looking into a valley of Bangalow palms...

valley1.jpg

The people on the track are pretty small down there...

valley2.jpg

more photos later....

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Looking towards Mt Warning...you wouldn't want to fall over the edge here!

mtwarning.jpg

Looking towards Mt Cougal

mtcougall.jpg

Linospadix monostachya in the wild - two different forms

lino3.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A slightly bent one...

lino1.jpg

Colin and Denise with a 1000 year old Antarctic Beech

nothofagus.jpg

Colin getting all tangled in the local Calamus muelleri

colandcal.jpg

Great pics Daryl,

I hope your Cyphosperma balansae made it there okay.  I had Colin bring you both forms that I have growing.

Tell Colin I said hi,

JD

JD, the Cyphos are now in Quarantine for two years..the wait begins!

Here's a couple more pics...taken at Chinderah Palm Nursery yesterday.

Col with a single stemmed form of Dypsis 'brevinoides' or 'bef' or 'slick willy' etc

colandbef.jpg

Burretiokentia vielliardii

burretiokentiav.jpg

Acanthophoenix rubra trunk

acanthorubra.jpg

Trunk detail of a colourful little Dypsis

dypsis-pink.jpg

Pinanga colour

pinanga.jpg

Dypsis lastelliana 'big red' form (has heel and lots of white mottling when young.

bigred.jpg

Dypsis lastelliana (fast form) which has no heel when young and grows much faster than the heel form.

fastlastelliana.jpg

Col and Mike with a young Clinostigma

colandclinostigma.jpg

Pinanga urosperma

pinangaeurosperma.jpg

Nice, it's good to see Colin is still travelling the globe in search of palms!  That Burretiokentia is looking especially good...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Thanks for more pics. Looks like you caught Mike in the act of getting some seeds. I think I have been caught in that kind of incriminating behavior in photos as well. I get picked at by the rest of the NC Gang at meetings. I usually ask permission first, though.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Col gave a great talk at the society meeting on Tuesday night. He picked the hottest night here so far this season and we were all melting in our seats. Time got away so we didn't get all the US stories and pics.

He had nothing but high praise for all the people he met there, seems like the connections on this board are a good thing.

Hey Col, any chance of a copy of that CDEE ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Daryl,

Really nice pictures that you took. I really like the Burreto. with the buldging crownshaft. Thanks again. Waiting for more...

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great pics all the the palms look amazing I could not even pick a favorite they all look so perfect. Keep them comin if you got more.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Nice pictures, nice palms (especially Burettiokentia) and amazing natural view pictures

Thanks very much

Komkrit

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Hi All,

What a great trip to Queensland, Denise and i stayed with Mike and Di (newcal, who now reads the board, soon he will post when he  gets the hang of computers) They have a wonderful garden on over 2 acres , 1 acre done now, planing the rest (pictures soon when Denise returns with the camera).

We had a wonderful saturday afternoon with Wal who took us to Phillip Arrowsmith's (PACSOA president) amazing garden, also enjoyed a mug of tea when admiring Wal's garden, he also took us for a real Aussie juicy hamburger for lunch ,yum.

Daryl and his wife  organised a barbecue on Sunday night at their place and a tour of the garden. All of the group where there. We all had a fantastic night.

All are a must see if you visit their area. Mike and Daryl have acreages with plenty of room for 4 times the palms, Mike has 106 genre and probably400 species, Daryl has probaly the same , he has grown a lot from seed, wow is all i can say.

On Tuesday, Daryl and Mike had the day off , so we all went for a visit to the now closed Chindurah nursery

Rummaging through the old stock up the back, were some very special palms, pulled them out of the jumble, Mike said there is no way they will sell them. On the way in, it was noticed they had a duplicates of them in thier personal collection. so after a discussion with the very nice owners, these palms where purchased and will arrive next week!!  Had to resuscitate Mike and Daryl, they are still in shock. they felt better after they found a couple for themselves :-)

Their private collection is another wonderful viewing

Daryl and i went to the Mt Cootha botannical gardens that afternoon which has large collection, it was sad to see the condition of the gardens as Brisbane is in severe drought and the gardens are really suffering. Hopefully it will rain soon so it can return to its normal lush self

Pictures will be posted when the camera comes back

So when you visit the area, recommend you contact them, wonderful hosts, great people

thank you very much

had a wonderful time

regards

Colin and Denise

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Love that red Teddy Bear...and the tree you named for my x-wife (Antarctic Beech)

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Count yourself lucky if you've met Col.

He's the man.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(JD in the OC @ Nov. 28 2006,20:35)

Great pics Daryl,

I hope your Cyphosperma balansae made it there okay.  I had Colin bring you both forms that I have growing.

Tell Colin I said hi,

JD

Could someone enlighten me on the two forms of C. balansae. How come I haven't heard of this before?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Dec. 01 2006,00:09)

Love that red Teddy Bear...and the tree you named for my x-wife (Antarctic Beech)

LOLZ. Its Nothofagus. 'Nuther sorta funny name.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Forgot to post this one earlier...

Wal, Colin and Mike

gents.jpg

Guys - I did my honest best not reply to that topic bearing in mind the current Ashes series (dont worry any non Brit guys!

Its a just a game we play from time to time - more like a religion to some.)

Name of the game is called Cricket and I sure cant explain the rules and no one else can either.

Part of the game is good humoured banter.

Sample: guy visits a top surgeon and explains that he has just met a fantastic Irish gal with red hair and green eyes but she is Irish and he is English and her parents wouldnt approve so  he says "Doc, can you make me Irish?"

"I sure can" replies the surgeon ,  " but I will have to re-line your stomach to withstand 20 pints of Guinness a night and I will need to remove half your brain."

"Jolly good show!" replies the guy.

Next day as he comes round the surgeon leans over him and says "Im awfully sorry  but the anathaestist gave you double the dose, a nurse stood on your Oxygen pipe for four minutes and due to an unfortunate slip of my scalpel I accidentally removed two thirds of your brain."

At this the body sat upright and replied : "Streuth, no probs mate".

Regardez

Juan

Juan

I know only too well that my Aussie friends have more than their fair share of Pom jokes and they also do  NZ jokes such as "What do you call a Kiwi (N.Zealander) with a sheep under one arm and a goat under the other?

Ans: Bi-Sexual

Regardez

Jon

Apologies to Moderator and I wont whinge if you ban me but I think some of our Brit originated guys around the world will appreciate.

Juan

thanks for the great pics! i am running out of ways to say "magnificent".guess i better break out the thesaurus:splendid,wonderful,extraordinary,impressive,

majestic,mesmerizing! :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Don't spill the whole load at once Paul.  

Uh, what the heck palm is in that last pic?  It's like the biggest Teddybear I've ever seen! :P

post-126-1165340005_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Dec. 06 2006,02:33)

Don't spill the whole load at once Paul.  

Uh, what the heck palm is in that last pic?  It's like the biggest Teddybear I've ever seen! :P

Hi Matty

That's one of the famous Dypsis decaryii x Dypsis leptocheilos hybrid palms. The other one is 2 metres to the right (out of picture). They are incredible, much better to see live.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

He is a picture of  part of the lovely gardens at Mikes(newcal's) place, It was certainly  a great place to stay

regards

colin

post-197-1165530829_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

The view of the lower part of the garden which is only the first stage of the creation of the gardens

post-197-1165531057_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

another nice part of the garden

post-197-1165533511_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

The garden has 106 genre of palms and building)maybe 300-350 species

post-197-1165534679_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Another of mike's gardens

post-197-1165535514_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

If you wish to see the rest, you will have to visit this anmazing garden in progress (with their permission of course)

hope you have enjoyed these

regards

colin

post-197-1165535737_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing photos!  Thanks for posting.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A