IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Rafael

This one faced three back to back nights with -1,8ºC, -2,6ºC and -3,8ºC, this one with not light frost. This in December.

These recent days, one isolated and frosty night at -3,6ºC.

In the middle one night at -0,5ºC.

Then, some strong frost in two nights.

Light frost in another two nights.

However, this palm is located in the south side of the yard, in a place almost non atacked by frost.

And is a big sized palm.

As you see, not yet totaly burned.

I am expecting the recovering, after February :drool:

post-3292-1263302310_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael

I would not trim the old leaves for a few weeks yet as they act as insulation. But, based on the size, I would think it will recover if the spear is still green.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mine suffered no damage from a night down to -2 at 10:30 pm, then freezing until a spell of -1 at dawn. This was part of a prolonged cold spell with successive nights at or just below freezing. No frost.

If yours is less than totally burned, I suspect it will recover quickly. Coconuts with similar damage come back well.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 weeks later...

This palm cant really be a cunninghamiana, besides what the colour of flowers and seeds tell us...

Maybe an hybrid.

rafael: Nope. No way, IMO, it's a cunninghamiana, not with that tight crownshaft. Looks like a typical A. alexandrae to me, based on how my own alexandrae palms look.

Mad about palms

This palm cant really be a cunninghamiana, besides what the colour of flowers and seeds tell us...

Maybe an hybrid.

rafael: Nope. No way, IMO, it's a cunninghamiana, not with that tight crownshaft. Looks like a typical A. alexandrae to me, based on how my own alexandrae palms look.

Walt, i dont know if it helps if you check photos and words of this topic: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21044&st=0&p=351481&hl=cunninghamiana&fromsearch=1&#entry351481

But, anyway, by its behaviour facing frost, i bet its an alexandrae too!

• 6 years later...
On 11 February 2010 at 2:23:34 AM, Rafael said:

Walt, i dont know if it helps if you check photos and words of this topic: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21044&st=0&p=351481&hl=cunninghamiana&fromsearch=1&#entry351481

But, anyway, by its behaviour facing frost, i bet its an alexandrae too!

Raffael what happened to your cunninghaniana? What do you think the limit was, was the frost dry or wet?

Max High. (°C) 39         Av Days >= 30 degC 5    
Min Low. (°C) -5         Av Days <= 0 degC 26    

13 hours ago, john_tas said:

Raffael what happened to your cunninghaniana? What do you think the limit was, was the frost dry or wet?

Unfortunately dead :(

Meanwhile, i am sucessfully growing all the archontophoenix sp. in another yard not far from this one ^_^

Interesting! Your latitude is similar to mine I'm about 41deg south, what are you growing and is there a link to your weather records in Portugal 

On 13 de agosto de 2016, 03:39:24, john_tas said:

Interesting! Your latitude is similar to mine I'm about 41deg south, what are you growing and is there a link to your weather records in Portugal 

I am actually growing several species in two quite different places, despite being close to each other. These are my zone pushing species: bismarckia, syagrus coronata, copernicia alba, euterpe edulis, kentiopsis oliviformis, hediscepe, prichardia hillebrandii, dypsis decaryi, ravenea rivularis, syagrus sancona and scizophylla. I am growing too archontophoenix illawara, cunninghamiana, alexandrae, myolensis, tuckery, maxima and purpurae.

Dont know about weather record links here. In a normal winter we have -1 C as minimum and 16C as maximum. 35C/14C in normal summer. High rainfall levels and lots of fog (ceroxylon, orianopsis, Rhopalostylis, dypsis decipiens and howeas love it). Things dont grow fast here, unless they are truly fast species ^_^

Interesting, I have just started a new garden in Tasmania, my temperatures are probably 3 degrees less than yours all year round, the most tender species I've planted so far is r.sapida and s.romanzoffiana.  I think these are right on my limit and may need occasional protection from extreme cold. No chance of Bangalow plans unless under heavy canopy and even if they did make it they would look tatty and brown. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, john_tas said:

Interesting, I have just started a new garden in Tasmania, my temperatures are probably 3 degrees less than yours all year round, the most tender species I've planted so far is r.sapida and s.romanzoffiana.  I think these are right on my limit and may need occasional protection from extreme cold. No chance of Bangalow plans unless under heavy canopy and even if they did make it they would look tatty and brown. 

Note that most of the tender palms i have mentioned are growing in a quite sheltered spot. In most of the unsheltered spots nearby almost all would die in the next winter. I found the perfect spot ^_^

• Upvote 1