IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dictyocaryum lamarckianum

BobSDCA

Given the freezing temperatures on the east coast and south U.S., I thought I should update some information on the January 2007 cold in California! I had grown this seedling Dictyocaryum for two years, it had four leaves and was a very slow grow, but put out a new leaf each year! It was declining with the cold we had before the freeze, but the temperature of 29.5F in the yard for 3 hours really finished it off. It died within a month after the freeze. This isn't the best microclimate for the palm - another part of the yard received 31F for about an hour, but the area where the Dictyocaryum was growing had a 50% canopy cover that provided good light for the palm.

Wish I could try another, but this time place it in a better microclimate and protect it next time!

BobSDCA

San Diego

Sunset Zone 23, 10a

• 3 years later...

I also have one that was growing pretty well; it had gotten to about 3 feet tall, & was fully pinnate. It was in the best microclimate I have. But the near freezing cold of two weeks ago simply killed it. No slow decline, no spotting; just collapsed within a week or so after the cold. Cool temps appear to be one thing for this palm; near-freezing temps, even of short duration are entirely different. There's probably no outdoor microclimate I have that could have kept it going. Too bad, lovely palms.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 2 months later...

Hmm. How hot do you guys estimate these palms saw? I thought they wouldn't stand a chance in 90F+?

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Hmm. How hot do you guys estimate these palms saw? I thought they wouldn't stand a chance in 90F+?

had a few days of 38c ( 102f) this summer and the Dictyocaryums "loved it", we had high humidity though, that temp with low humidity would end them... I did water morning noon and night on these days and the spears grew at a "rapid rate", they do "get shade by 1pm" so they are well protected from the "hot afternoon sun" ..its all about location location location and plenty of "rainwater" not crappy tap water :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. 102F, you say?! WOW that's way hotter than I thought these could take. Pete, what's the lowest your palm has seen?

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread. 102F, you say?! WOW that's way hotter than I thought these could take. Pete, what's the lowest your palm has seen?

I'll let Pete confirm, but I think I remember him saying down to 3C is about as cold as he gets. Hopefully he corrects me if I'm wrong.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

I'll let Pete confirm, but I think I remember him saying down to 3C is about as cold as he gets. Hopefully he corrects me if I'm wrong.

Thats correct Jon 3c, re the 38c or 102f, yes when it did get that high here, thats the fastest Ive seen the spears ever move, I did rainwater them morning noon and night during that time. Pete :)