IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rare Palm Seeds - RPS

PALM MOD

Rate this Seller  

130 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this seller?

• POSITIVE - Would recommend to others
    • NEGATIVE - Would not recommend

"Profesiional" means in this concrete industry first of all to show the same respect to every customer, then to be honest about seeds viability and germination rates (older seeds should be sold at discount with mentionig the reason of reduced germination rate), and last but not least to inspect regularly quality of incoming and outcoming stock.

"..then to be honest about seeds viability and germination rates (older seeds should be sold at discount with mentionig the reason of reduced germination rate)....

That's one of the biggest problem with RPS !!!

My palms collection : http://www.palmiers.eu

My B&B : bannongresort.com

Anyone know how to get in touch with Toby? I've sent a couple emails, but there has been no response. I really don't want to give a negative review and want to sort out problems with my most recent order, but cannot get in touch with him. I ordered some Areca guppyana seeds from him and what I received wasn't up to his usual quality (see photo). Of the six I received, three were DOA and only one of the remaining 3 looked healthy and viable. Anyone know of another source for these?

Areca.guppyana.seeds.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

"Profesiional" (sic!) means in this concrete industry first of all to show the same respect to every customer, then to be honest about seeds viability and germination rates (older seeds should be sold at discount with mentionig the reason of reduced germination rate), and last but not least to inspect regularly quality of incoming and outcoming stock.

Hi Konstantinos,

Thank you for explaining what we already do if at all possible and practical.

Best, TOBY

I do not see any harvest dates on any of your seed packets Toby. And that is possible and practical. Even when seeds are stored correctly anything over a year old your germination rates are going to drop substantially.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay. Replacements are on the way to you.

Best, TOBY

Toby,

Replacement seeds arrived today. Thanks for the extras, too! Guess I should have waited a couple more days.

-t

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Phoenikakias, on 27 Feb 2013 - 22:33, said:snapback.png

Konstantinos, I assume your Jubaeopsis got lost in the mail. Please e-mail me with more specifics and I will replace if that was the case.

On Europalms:

It seems like James is not really in business anymore, his seed list has not changed for years now, and I have heard a few more stories similar to the above posts.

Best, TOBY

Thank you very much Tobias for your readiness to replace missing shippment. I looked back to the records of my credit card (VISA 4232940111683008 - I don't mind mentioning publically the number because it is idle now) and I discovered a charge from Palme Per Paket in August 2007 to the amount of 37.27 EURO. You can check with above data also your records and surely you will find out what and when I have ordered. I am looking forward to hearing soon from you.

"Vielen Dank im Voraus und hochachtungsvoll"

• 6 months later...

Has anyone in the US received shipment from RPS lately? I placed an order 6 weeks ago and have yet to get my order. Perhaps the Gov shutdown caused a delay with US Dept of Ag?

I have learned to only order seeds that are new or "fresh" due to poor germination with older seeds. looks like bad timing?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone in the US received shipment from RPS lately? I placed an order 6 weeks ago and have yet to get my order. Perhaps the Gov shutdown caused a delay with US Dept of Ag?

I have learned to only order seeds that are new or "fresh" due to poor germination with older seeds. looks like bad timing?

Mike

I am interested in this information as well. I have been wanting to order from them a large lot of seeds, but I am on the fence. 1. Due to the concerns with delays of entry into the US and 2. Poor reviews from others who have ordered 3. Never receiving a reply for any questions I have asked in the past. Not one acknowledgement. I have never dealt with a company that can't even reply back to a potential customer. I have seen this as a serious complaint from a wide range of people.

Ive already posted on post 40 ...but...to all the "Whingers", get a grip RPS is for "online ordering" its not an "online forum"..Have a look at the "Thousands" of seed sp available, can you imagine the number of " Emails"?? and many would be from " Wannabe daydream gardeners" asking silly Qs, it would be "Immense"... If you "Really" want to "ask something important" give RPS a call during "their" open hours and I "Guarantee" if TOBY isn't there Silke will " do her best" to assist and pass the message on.

Of seeds Ive received from RPS of what has and hasn't germinated "Im Miles Ahead" Pete :)

I can understand that they would get a lot of garbage questions. These are certainly not the questions I would be asking. There is a way to sort through spam I do it everyday as part of my job. But I am going to just jump in and do it. I am glad you have had some positive experiences, Pete. I appreciate your response. :-)

Mike

I am interested in this information as well. I have been wanting to order from them a large lot of seeds, but I am on the fence. 1. Due to the concerns with delays of entry into the US and 2. Poor reviews from others who have ordered 3. Never receiving a reply for any questions I have asked in the past. Not one acknowledgement. I have never dealt with a company that can't even reply back to a potential customer. I have seen this as a serious complaint from a wide range of people.

For the record I did get the seeds around a week later. I chalk up the delay to maybe the US Dept of AG which can be a real PITA. My first RPS order years ago was quarantined for 3 months until I produced an importation permit and shipping labels. This recent batch of seeds were in great shape, no floaters. My comment about poor germination with older seeds was a general statement about palm seeds regardless of the source. In the context of the post I could see how it could considered as a negative comment on RPS. That was not my intention. I have purchased multiple times from RPS the last 5 years and instead of being a ""Whinger" and comment on germination rates I decided to now only order what is listed as "new" or "fresh" to get predictably good germination rates. I will continue to purchase from RPS in the future and look forward to the updated list every few weeks.

I can understand that they would get a lot of garbage questions. These are certainly not the questions I would be asking. There is a way to sort through spam I do it everyday as part of my job. But I am going to just jump in and do it. I am glad you have had some positive experiences, Pete. I appreciate your response. :-)

Where else could I get Fresh Dictyocaryum seed?? THANK YOU RPS :) Pete

post-5709-0-54409700-1383778327_thumb.jp

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the comments, positive and negative too. I know we need to improve a lot on communications, as well as a few other things, so let me fill you in on what is currently going on at RPS: We have recently added an agricultural engineer to our team to organize our storage, improve quality control and streamline our shipping process. This has already resulted in a much neater storage and packing facility and I hope we will be able to process and ship orders much quicker in future. I also hope this will free up some of my capacity and also Silke's, who manages and processes the entire paperwork side of seed orders. We are also working with DHL and UPS to fully digitalize the processing of our shipping labels for improved tracking features and faster handling on our side.

Our webmaster is working day and night on a relaunch of our website. This will include replacing our dated software, a state-of-the-art shopping cart with online customer accounts, a greatly improved ordering process with fully transparent shipping cost, online tracking of order processing and shipping and much more. The new shopping cart will also be fully searchable, let you choose seeds based on what is suitable for the climate you live in, and will boast a plethora of additional search and filter options to help customers navigate though our extensive and ever growing range of seeds. I apologize if this sounds too pathetic but I hope we can shine with a much improved website and improved service and customer information in 2014.

Best, TOBY

We all enjoy and use your website for reference as well as many of us for ordering. So I am excited about it getting even better!

Cindy Adair

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I ordered new seeds at RPS on 21/02...

I received nothing yet... Same as usual... :-(

Hello Philippe!

NEED TO WAIT!
rarepalmseeds sells seeds in over the world, many many customers !
I Placed an order a week ago, (I'm buying seeds of chamaedorea species), my order has not yet been processed,
on my credit card , still not transaction money to rarepalmseeds

GIUSEPPE

I'm surprised that RPS doesn't have an option to have the credit/debit card address different from the shipping address.

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I ordered new seeds at RPS on 21/02...

I received nothing yet... Same as usual... :-(

Hello Philippe!

NEED TO WAIT!
rarepalmseeds sells seeds in over the world, many many customers !
I Placed an order a week ago, (I'm buying seeds of chamaedorea species), my order has not yet been processed,
on my credit card , still not transaction money to rarepalmseeds

I've paid with Paypal.... so, the transaction is processed already...

More we have to wait, more old are the seeds... That's why we often receive very old/dead seeds with RPS... :evil:

Paypal ?

also I have paypal,but I knew that rarepalmseeds not accept paypal?

Oh sorry...

My mistake... I bought different seeds the same day... and I've paid RPS with my AMEX card..

• 3 weeks later...
Hello;
my previous mail was deleted because in the wrong thread! I start again:
Purchase seeds from RPS on February 12, payment by credit card charged on Feb. 14. Wow what a great start!
March 12 had still received nothing, I sent an email and reply 2 hours later. My order has suffered a slight delay (not as payment) but command sent on February 25. Wait a bit said delivery on!
Today March 28 still received nothing. And of course more response to my various mails sent from one week (they end up in their trash I have no doubt :evil: ).
For me Rarepalmseeds : negative reviews.
  • Upvote 1

RPS is very nice and they do respond. Send an E-mail to service at rare palm seeds dot com and you should get a prompt response, a woman named Silke will usually respond. As a rule of thumb, submit your order and move on to other things. Turn around time is typically about a month. They have never failed to send me an order, but it does take a while.

RPS is very nice and they do respond. Send an E-mail to service at rare palm seeds dot com and you should get a prompt response, a woman named Silke will usually respond. As a rule of thumb, submit your order and move on to other things. Turn around time is typically about a month. They have never failed to send me an order, but it does take a while.

The problem is that with very nice RPS, for me it is now 45 days :asleep::asleep::asleep::rant::rant:

• Upvote 1

Hello

After 49 days of waiting Toby told me he sent me new seeds :)

Toby thank you and hopefully not have to wait as long :asleep::asleep::asleep:

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered my first batch of seeds from them recently and then I find this!

Must say it has given me a bit of a shock to hear how many bad experiences. I placed 2 orders and sent emails regarding freight charges... nothing came back, So I've just called them and spoke with a woman (didnt catch her name) who seemed to take some time to locate the orders but has promised an email next week with tracking number.

As some of the seed are very expensive I'm a little anxious the quality will be what I am expecting.....

Excited and apprehensive at the same time!

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now...

~ Chinese Proverb

10344842_10152443920736742_914492094660907758_n.jpg

RPS-

they are a small operation! they probably garner hundreds of emails a day!

nothing but the best experiences with RPS! I've bought seed from many places,

RPS has the best quality, cleanest seeds, and by far the best germination rates I've encountered!

and for me, the customer service has been top notch as well!

many thanks to Silke and Tobias and crew! keep up the great work!

Hello,

I finally just got the seeds from RPS.
Pigaffeta filaris, Dypsis leucomala, Dypsis leptocheilos, Areca vestiara and Archotophoenix alexandrae were sown ...

Now wait and see! :asleep:

RPS-

they are a small operation! they probably garner hundreds of emails a day!

nothing but the best experiences with RPS! I've bought seed from many places,

RPS has the best quality, cleanest seeds, and by far the best germination rates I've encountered!

and for me, the customer service has been top notch as well!

many thanks to Silke and Tobias and crew! keep up the great work!

They receive hundreds of mails every day, this is not an excuse. To receive a response from Mr Tobbias I was forced to spasm their mailboxes. Lamentable but effective! :rant:

You have the best germination rate, I have several friends that makes you smile. Personally I'll see :indifferent:

.. I've bought seed from many places,

Exactly the opposite of me...

I've bought seed from many places, RPS has the worst germination rates ... and is the only one which send seeds with insects (free of charge) inside the pack !!!

Edited by pilou
  • Upvote 1