IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pelagodoxa henryana

Central Floridave

I've read no one has been brave enough to test out how low this palm can go. So, I kept a potted one out under oak. It saw consecutive mornings of near freezing temps. 35F one morning. No frost. I wasn't brave enough to let it sit out when I knew it was going near 32. But, mine survived 35F with no visible damage. Its about 3 years old in a pot. Its currently in the house so its protected now.

My 7 gallon took 33.5F and so far hasn't shown damage! B)

My Pelagodoxa survived 45 F. with no problems. either! They are calling for a nasty Sunday morning in Florida; we'll have to wait 'n see, Bill!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

My 7g shows no visable damage under a light in my covered porch that had a reading of 28F the other morning. Not really sure what the true temp really was though?

• Like 1

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

I guess I can actually add here. I had a large 1 gal several years ago in my coldframe. I think the occasional cold drop is not a problem, its the continuous drops. My looked fine after the first couple nights where it dipped into the mid 30's in my coldframe. It took another month or two with more nights around there to cark off.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 weeks later...
My 7g shows no visable damage under a light in my covered porch that had a reading of 28F the other morning. Not really sure what the true temp really was though?

On another note I kept this in the porch -very hard to tell what true temp it went down to but I can tell that is was

freezing in the porch as some of my other plant did freeze. This showed a very small amount of browning and bottom 2 leaves and was also next to my Licuala Ram. when did show more noticable damage which I was surprised.

Bill

I have an 8 year old in the ground. It's fronds now reach over the roofline, so there's not a whole lot I can do, but to shine heat lamps on it from underneath. My garden reached an all time low of 34F and so far, no visible damage. Not even leaf tip burn. That's more than I can say for Pinanga, Areca, and some Ptychosperma species.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Recent record 12 day cold event in Florida. Here in my yard, it included 6 nights at or below freezing (one night with 10 hours, two nights with 8 hours, and one night with 5 hours at or below freezing), 6 frost events (2 heavy), one day that was in the mid 30's all day (the high temp was 45 at 12:01 AM and then it plummented very quickly), and two nights that the low temp was 29 degrees.

My palm is a 3-gallon size planted in August (last summer -- in the ground 5 months) and was under oak canopy as well as covered with a plastic garbage can -- in addition, I piled mulch up very high around the base. However, due to the length & unrelenting nature of this cold event, I don't think either the oak canopy or the cover would have held much/any warmth and I don't know how to quantify how the mulch "blanket" helped, so there is some question re: how much of the full impact from the cold spell this palm experienced (obviously no direct frost).

No visible damage one week after -- it appears to be tougher than I expected.

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am convinced that this palm is highly variable when it comes to cold hardiness. There are 2 varieties - a small seeded one and a large seeded one. It has only been in the last dozen years or so that the small seeded one has been in cultivation and I think it is substantially cold hardier. I have had a small seeded one, with 5 feet of trunk, in the ground for 5 years now and it has flowered and fruited here in beautiful downtown Loxahatchee. :rolleyes: Albeit a little yellow, like other palms in the yard, it has come through the winter just fine. We had several frosts with at least 15 nights in the 30s and several of those at or below freezing. It is the same variety that is grown at the nursery I do consulting for and there the same seems to have held true both in the ground and in containers.

Now if only the same could be said for Cyrtostachys, Areca catechu, Areca vestiaria, Hydriastele pinangoides, and others in my yard that did not survive ........... :(

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

On another note I kept this in the porch -very hard to tell what true temp it went down to but I can tell that is was

freezing in the porch as some of my other plant did freeze. This showed a very small amount of browning and bottom 2 leaves and was also next to my Licuala Ram. when did show more noticable damage which I was surprised.

Dave,

As an addon to my original info, I just pulled the spear on mine Saturday. Looks dead, along with almost everything I had on the porch! What a shame as it was such a nice specimen!

Bill

Recent record 12 day cold event in Florida. Here in my yard, it included 6 nights at or below freezing (one night with 10 hours, two nights with 8 hours, and one night with 5 hours at or below freezing), 6 frost events (2 heavy), one day that was in the mid 30's all day (the high temp was 45 at 12:01 AM and then it plummented very quickly), and two nights that the low temp was 29 degrees.

My palm is a 3-gallon size planted in August (last summer -- in the ground 5 months) and was under oak canopy as well as covered with a plastic garbage can -- in addition, I piled mulch up very high around the base. However, due to the length & unrelenting nature of this cold event, I don't think either the oak canopy or the cover would have held much/any warmth and I don't know how to quantify how the mulch "blanket" helped, so there is some question re: how much of the full impact from the cold spell this palm experienced (obviously no direct frost).

No visible damage one week after -- it appears to be tougher than I expected.

Mine also ended up dying -- although I am sure it was due to the extremely long period of below average temperatures as opposed to the above-noted cold event (it looked good for quite a while after January). This winter (Jan. - March) was the coldest ever recorded here in Sarasota (I will be planting this one again)

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

• 3 years later...

I had 1 small juvenile survive 33 degrees F in the ground, unprotected, in Sarasota last winter. It didn't see any frost. I had another one, same size, that died.

• 7 years later...

I have one juvenile also in a 3 gallon pot.  It went to 37 degs one night in Jan this past winter and it burned pretty badly, looked terrible.  It is finally starting to move again at a regular clip now in Aug.  It is going to make it.  I wouldn't leave a small potted one out below 45.IMG_0381.jpg.f51a2e19f6789c31d20f390e0f792105.jpg