IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wet Season garden photos

ariscott

What a great collection you have Ari! How old is your calyptrocalyx? I love your palms with the new red leaves.

Good Luck, Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Not quite sure how old they are since most of them I bought in 150mm pots. I have them for a few years though... most of them went in the ground at the end of 2007, and I probably have them at least a year or two before that...

Calyptrocalyx is probably my favourite genus, along with Licuala... Once my licualas in the ground look good, I might take more pics...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nice photos Ari! Liked the Foxy Lady and colorful fronds!

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

post-512-1262917526_thumb.jpg

Last photo... Coccothrinax crinita - I hope your enjoy my garden... I am very happy with the way things progressing.... As it is only 3-4 years old, I am sorry I don't have any mature trees...

3-4 years from a seed or seedling? quite fast!! Great vigor

Garden looks great Ari and everything looks so healthy. I'm sure everything is loving the moisture. So does it rain everyday during

the wet? Your pembana has a twin here in Hilo, they look identical.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-512-1262917526_thumb.jpg

Last photo... Coccothrinax crinita - I hope your enjoy my garden... I am very happy with the way things progressing.... As it is only 3-4 years old, I am sorry I don't have any mature trees...

3-4 years from a seed or seedling? quite fast!! Great vigor

3-4 years in the ground.... not quite from seeds. Some of them have only been in the ground for 2 years. I have grown some of them from seeds, but mostly the trees.... but that the a separate thread later on :winkie: I never buy established palms though, mostly 140mm or 200mm pots.

Tim,

It depends on the year... This year has been great. It has been raining most days, and quite huge rainfall too (for us, maybe not so much for you...), like this afternoon... we got 78mm in an hour and half... I only need 10-20mm to keep the garden watered every day, so anything above that is a bonus.

Michael,

Thank you... I love colourful fronds too :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wow...Ari finally shows us her treasures from Darwin...

Congrats...Great collection !! Those Coryphas are looking marvelous...Did you germinate them from seed?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

No, Gileno... I cheated... I bought them. Lots more treasure to be planted yet... some might have to go in next year...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks for posting your varied collection, Ari. Is that Dypsis onilahensis in post #23? Love all the Calyptrocalyx, how do you keep them shaded? How many Theobroma cacoa to produce a chocolate truffle? I suppose the tree grows very large... You've got me expanding my palm wish list -- love those Corypha, is the 2nd pic umbraculifera? I really enjoyed the pix, thanks.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hi Kim,

I am not sure what dypsis that is in post #23. Daryl did tell me, but I can't remember!! I should've written it down :rolleyes: .

I am not sure theobroma cocoa will produce cocoa here... as I heard they don't like our dry season. I have been told I have to provide overhead watering to keep the humidity up. But I like the tree... it is very attractive, so I plant it anyway and see how it goes... It definitely loves the wet season though. I don't think they will turn into massive trees...

I set up temporary shade (made of star pickets, 2inch poly pipes and 50% shadecloth) for my shadeloving palms. It is easy to build and I just move them when I am done with them... I planted trees around them, and eventually the canopy will meet and they will provide shade in the next few years. The trees have been growing faster than I thought, so I am happy... I just moved one that I put on my Rhopalablaste elegans. They don't mind the sun, they just don't like the dry wind when young... so I put 30% shadecloth...

Yes.. the 2nd corypha is umbraculifera. It took a while to take off but now it is away...

Thanks for the kind words..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the post that you were referring to.

Your palms look like they are doing very very well and it sure looks like you have lots and lots of space left to play around with.

I see what you mean by having a lack of canopy at this point-- wanna try some bamboo so that you have a quasi-canopy instantly?? But don't get any of the giants and make sure they are clumpers not runners so that it wont be a headache to take them out when the time comes.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Hi Ari, your garden looks great for only three years and I can see why you need so much mulch with all that land.

Look forward to future progress reports.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Thanks Gene... Yes, there is still space, although I do have plans for the rest of them :). At the moment, I have ponies in the back paddock (not mine). I am planting bamboos on the boundary, as a windbreak and privacy screen from neighbours. I have planted the giant ones at the back to shield the neighbour's shed and I don't care how big they get there on the boundary. I would prefer having trees for canopy. It is ok though, the temporary shade is working well and the trees and shadeloving palms can grow together that way...

Mike,

Mulching is always a big job, but very rewarding. We are about to finish our 300 bales... and I am sure we have to start again in a few months :rolleyes: . The tropics makes everything breaking down so fast. But, after I have seen the condition of my soil, it is all worth it!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Very nice Ari, :drool: the growth on some of your trees is amazing, they love the humidity I guess :D

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Yeah... they are growing well... I am just impatient...lol. No, really the growth in the last 2 years have been phenomenal... I love my trees :wub:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

post-512-1262916227_thumb.jpg

My cocoa tree.... one of my favourite!!!!

Ari, you trees look great. In a few years I think you will have a lot more shade. Regarding the cocoa tree, called cacau here they grow best in the shade. In fact cacau plantations are shaded. Can you get cupuaçu trees there? They are a cousin of the cacau and have a fruit which is one our regions most famous.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

What is the botanical name, Don? I will google it to see what it looks like. I have planted the cocoa trees under temporary shade. One day, hopefully it will be shaded by the leopard tree, Lagerstroemia speciosa & Bauhinia.

Don, I just looked, it is Theobroma grandiflorum. Very cool looking tree.... I like the flowers. I don't think I have seen it around, although it is possible some collector would have it. I have to keep my eyes & ears open :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

What is the botanical name, Don? I will google it to see what it looks like. I have planted the cocoa trees under temporary shade. One day, hopefully it will be shaded by the leopard tree, Lagerstroemia speciosa & Bauhinia.

Don, I just looked, it is Theobroma grandiflorum. Very cool looking tree.... I like the flowers. I don't think I have seen it around, although it is possible some collector would have it. I have to keep my eyes & ears open :)

Ari,

Can you receive seeds from this tree there?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

THis tree has been grown here for ages .I recently got a large seedling from Alan Carle . Local growers have some so seed should be available one day Ari . It should be on the ICON list . Another interesting sp.is T. bicolour , the local DPI guy has it .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 3 weeks later...

Ari,

Can you receive seeds from this tree there?

dk

Yes Don... it is in the AQIS list... checked that ages ago... and forgot to post :rolleyes: .

Anyway, my other half went around and looked at our garden today... and took some pics. I promise I won't resurrect this thread again, if there is anyone objecting... He only took a few so I didn't see any needs to make new thread...

post-512-12664888384513_thumb.jpg

For Peter, my Cassia Javanica... see the fence, it is 1.8m fence... planted nearly 3 years ago and it wasn't even a foot high...

post-512-12664889127673_thumb.jpg

Heterospathe elata

post-512-12664890058289_thumb.jpg

Another one of Heterospathe elata....

post-512-12664890663245_thumb.jpg

Pandanus 'giant blue'. It is fast now!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"