IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating ficus Benghalensis seeds...

Zeeth

I got 10 figs from the giant Ficus benghalensis at the Edison estate. They are scarlet red and about 1/2 an inch across. How do I get these to germinate? I know there's a special way, but I don't know it. Thanks

Keith

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Chances are, there won't be any viable seed in ten fruits. Though the wasp responsible for pollinating F. benghalensis IS present in FL, it is in small numbers, so it is likely that only a few fruits per tree will be pollinated.

Try removing the outer shell and spreading the innards of the fruit on the surface of a small pot of good potting soil. Don't bury; just leave on the soil surface. Put the pot in a clear plastic bag and put in a warm, sunny window. If any are viable, they should sprout within about a month. You may have some mold to contend with, but it shouldn't affect healthy seedlings if they do emerge.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Chances are, there won't be any viable seed in ten fruits. Though the wasp responsible for pollinating F. benghalensis IS present in FL, it is in small numbers, so it is likely that only a few fruits per tree will be pollinated.

Try removing the outer shell and spreading the innards of the fruit on the surface of a small pot of good potting soil. Don't bury; just leave on the soil surface. Put the pot in a clear plastic bag and put in a warm, sunny window. If any are viable, they should sprout within about a month. You may have some mold to contend with, but it shouldn't affect healthy seedlings if they do emerge.

Right as I got home I realized the wasp problem. I did what you said for the fruits, so let's hope I can get at least 1 plant. I should have just broken off a branch, as they root super easily, but I didn't think about at the time.

Keith

Keith 

Keith--

F. benghalensis is a little tough (but not impossible) from cuttings. Best way is to locate and detach a young volunteer from somewhere--a Sabal, Melaleuca, or freeway overpass...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Keith--

F. benghalensis is a little tough (but not impossible) from cuttings. Best way is to locate and detach a young volunteer from somewhere--a Sabal, Melaleuca, or freeway overpass...

Thanks for the info. There are some type of Ficus growing in the nature trail by the house we are going to buy. Next time I go out there I will take pics for identification to see if it is one of the Banyan species.

Keith 

Keith,

If my memory serves me correctly, there is a banyan tree in Sarasota at the Ca' d' zan : John Ringlings' mansion. You could get a cutting there. When I was there 14 years ago it was free to go in.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Keith,

If my memory serves me correctly, there is a banyan tree in Sarasota at the Ca' d' zan : John Ringlings' mansion. You could get a cutting there. When I was there 14 years ago it was free to go in.

There are banyan trees all over the place here that I could take cuttings, but it wouldn't be as special. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too though...

Keith 

• 1 month later...

I am happy to report that I have had success in germinating these seeds. Here is a pic of a seedling from the largest Banyan tree in Florida

DSC01813.jpg

Keith 

Cool! I would have thought that was a weed.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I had a bunch of them coming up in the pot I planted them in all at the same time (which was indoors under a plastic covering), so it's the real deal!

Keith 

Congrats Keith.

Once they get a couple of pairs of leaves they are easy to grow.

_____