IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Upright" leaf Dypsis onilahensis

BS Man about Palms

I was looking for some older pics and found this old pic I had of a Dypsis oni that I had that had more of an upright leaf. I was disappointed because I wanted the droopy form. I am not entirely sure if it died or is "weeded in" somewhere. Got it on ebay about 5 years ago.

post-27-1262305470_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Compare to a droopy leaf version I bought later. I believe this is the one I planted recently out front.

Both pics were taken at the same time.

post-27-1262305563_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nobody? Yeah, OK I need to give it time..

Bill- A profile pic would be more helpful. Hard to tell from the angle of the pic.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

The Aussies might be still drunk from last night....lol. Have to give them time to recuperate....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bill- A profile pic would be more helpful. Hard to tell from the angle of the pic.

Sadly, not aware if its alive or its location IF alive. Probably 75% chance its gone. (pic 1)

what was the question ? :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

what was the question ? :huh:

I guess its "does anyone else have one"? AND its NOT the -slick willy- type.

Bill, I have 2 differant "upright" forms. One is slow as a snail and the other form is a rocket. I do not have any pics of the slow form but I have 2 planted in my front yard that are maybe 3 ft. tall. The fast form was planted many years after the slow form and is more than twice the size as the slow form. Here is the fast form planted a few years ago as a small single trunk one gal. Here are a couple of pics from last year 08.

post-351-1262407075_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Here is a close up of the trunk.

post-351-1262407150_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

one more.

post-351-1262407196_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of pics from 09. This onily is very colorfull and has 7 trunks including 2 that are 4" in dia.

post-351-1262407348_thumb.jpg

This form is probably my favorite for it's color, speed of growth and dark green flawless fronds.

Stevo

post-351-1262407522_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bump here.

I found I DID plant the palm in the first post almost a year ago... I need to weed it and post a pic.

It seems to be the "slow" one Steve mentioned..

• 2 years later...

Bump.

Does anyone know where I can find the "fast" upright onilahensis in SoCal?

I bought mine from Bluebell nursery in Anaheim, it was sold as a Baronii, but Matty ID'd it as an onilahenis. It's the fastest dypsis I grow, it's a rocket. It's not the droopy form.

I bought an upright one from Phil at Jungle Music about a year and a half ago. It is slow as slow can be. Not sure if its slowness is due to the palm itself or my care of it and its relatively shady location.

Good looking palm in either case but mine is sssssllllllloooooooowwwwwwww.

They are so variable I don't know how to tell if it's the fast one without collecting seeds. Some are slower than others.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

thanks, Axel. I'll give them a try.

I bought mine from Bluebell nursery in Anaheim, it was sold as a Baronii, but Matty ID'd it as an onilahenis. It's the fastest dypsis I grow, it's a rocket. It's not the droopy form.

Mine is starting to look pretty decent.. :D

For whatever it's worth, an upright version of this that's been called "clumping ambositrae" is as fast as fast can get. I've had on go from a one gallon in 2006 to a profusely seeding one that stands about 12' - 14' tall. Some of the seed from last year went back to Jungle Music as well as a couple other growers. It's a palm that should be planted everywhere.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

For whatever it's worth, an upright version of this that's been called "clumping ambositrae" is as fast as fast can get. I've had on go from a one gallon in 2006 to a profusely seeding one that stands about 12' - 14' tall. Some of the seed from last year went back to Jungle Music as well as a couple other growers. It's a palm that should be planted everywhere.

is this the same plant you gave me seeds to late last year? of that batch of seeds i had 4 that germinated so far and maybe 2 more that looks like it just broke through the shell.

hopefully in a couple of years if you ever make it out here to check outthe garden you'll see 2 that came from your seeds, they'll be anchoring a small set of steps that lead into the main dypsis/Madagascar area

great little palm for a tight space - the crowns are only about 3 feet across. This is one of the more baronii-like ones but think they are onilahensis from the flower colour.

post-264-0-60721000-1400702154_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I promise to post a photo of the palm I "think" is the furst palm at the top.. Been in the ground now a couple years... looks nice but super slow.. This is a bump to not lose the thread after a year.. :)

I promise to post a photo of the palm I "think" is the furst palm at the top.. Been in the ground now a couple years... looks nice but super slow.. This is a bump to not lose the thread after a year.. :)

The Bumpmeister concurs ! :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

The Bumpmeister concurs ! :interesting:

old pic from another thread... hope to update soon.

post-27-0-75218100-1430116798.jpg