IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainfall in Leilani Estate, Big Island

bgl

(Dypsisdean @ Sep. 30 2006,01:09)

Steve, I'll answer for Al. I have a friend with a weather station at the same elevation as Al, just a little north in Holualoa. Monthly rain (Sept)---2.6 inches. year to date---29.7 inches.

Thanks Dean, sounds a bit dry for the summer.  Still nuttin' here.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys over on the Hilo side.  Big rain this past weekend?  How are things?  Filling up your catchment tanks?

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Steve,

Just got back from the Dominican Republic last night and we left on Sept 28th so when I checked my rain gauge this morning that was the total for that entire period: 4.3 inches. A neighbor who picked us up at the airport last night told me that we had about 3.5 inches over the weekend. We're up to 111.73 inches for the year as of right now.

Incidentally, when we landed at Honolulu yesterday afternoon I looked down on the ramp at Hickam AFB and was amazed at all the standing water there. They must have had a LOT of rain. It looked like a lake, and it covered a large area of the ramp.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Central O`ahu had heavy rain Sunday afternoon.  Little bit in Wai`anae.  Guess the airports got some too.

If I had 111 inches of rain in a year I'd have so many weeds growing I'd die trying to keep them down.  Don't know how you do it.  Your place is like a botanical garden.

Finally got to the 50 inch mark yesterday after being at 49 inches for 4 weeks.  Hopefully, El Nino will get us to the 55-60 inch mark before years end.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

0.87" fell at my house yesterday.

Im pretty sure my yard has passed the 60" mark already.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry, I'm well over 50 inches as well but TIA is the "official" number of record.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Major system over the entire state of Hawaii dumped 8.5 inches of rain here over a 6 hour period last night with PLENTY of thunder and lightning (very unusual)! From one extreme to the other. The last seven days, prior to this heavy rain was very dry and sunny!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update:

Last 24 hours: 0.20 inch

Last 48 hours: 0.26 inch

Last 72 hours: 0.26 inch

Last 7 days: 0.65 inch

Oct 2006: 14.56 inches (Oct 2005: 22.51 inches).

Year-to-date: 122.29 inches (same period 2005: 128.04)

Last 12 months: 141.32 inches. (i.e. 01NOV05-31OCT06)

(And the 12 mo period ending a year ago, i.e. 01NOV04-31OCT05: 156.48 inches).

The October average for the last ten years stands at 13.38 inches, so October 2006 was close to "normal" in that respect. The only problem being that 8.45 of the 13.38 inches came in one 6 hour period two weeks ago! Wish they could spread it out a little bit more intelligently.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dean for answering Steve about our rainfall during September.  I was gone, left Sep 30 until Oct 14 (to IPS Biennial in the Dominican Republic).  

This year September was drier than usual, but while I was gone the first two weeks of October we had lots of rain here.  Close to 6".  No need to do much watering this month (OCT).  Normally OCT is drier than SEP here but normalcy isn't always the case anywhere anymore it seems!  

Dean, you state in your signature (under your messages):  Hawaii - volcanoes (earthquakes).  How about adding on tsunamis, possible hurricanes, floods, landslides - any other possible disasters?  That might help keep population inflow at a minimum.  You wouldn't be lying - they are all a possibility!  LOL

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Good idea Al. I just added earthquakes today since I was busy repairing cracked drywall from that last one.

I could even add on epidemics, like the Bird Flu, since they tell us we will be the first as it arrives from Asia.  :D

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

We've had 125mm (5") in the last few days which has ended our dry season (thankfully!) for the year. November is storm month here, and these have been helping greatly. Yesterday we had a supercell pass over, which dumped 50-75mm (2-3 inches) in 20 minutes...much welcomed rain, although the wind and lightning wasn't greeted by too many. Hopefully we will have good regular summer rains through November/ Dec and that will end a good year for rainfall. We have had approximately 1700mm (68") so far, and hopefully will finish the year with 90". Our water supply is at 85%. I don't know why people say we are in drought here...we are only allowed to use buckets and watering cans at night time to water the garden or potted plants...luckily the rain keeps things alive.

Brisbane...well, that's another story...

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 4 weeks later...

Time for another update:

Last 24 hours: 0.02 inch

Last 48 hours: 0.13 inch

Last 72 hours: 0.28 inch

Last 7 days: 1.88 inches

Nov 2006: 8.90 inches (Nov 2005: 12.25 inches).

Year-to-date: 131.19 inches (same period 2005: 140.29)

Last 12 months: 137.97 inches. (i.e. 01DEC05-30NOV06)

(And the 12 mo period ending a year ago, i.e. 01DEC04-30NOV05: 151.94 inches).

November is statistically the wettest month of the year here, but not so this year. The average rainfall for the month of November over the last 10 years: 14.7 inches.

Hopefully more rain in December! ???

• 5 weeks later...

Final results for the year:

Dec 2006: 8.65 inches (Dec. 2005: 6.78)

2006: 140.84 inches

2005: 147.07

2004: 172.46 (our wettest year last 10 yrs)

2003: 100.60 (our driest year last 10 yrs)

2002: 152.30

2006 ended on a somewhat drier note than it began:

Jan-Jun 2006: 77.47 inches

Jul-Dec 2006: 63.37 inches

Bo,

Have you correlated Leilani rainfall with El Nino events ?

There should be some form of correlation,  one would think.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Chris,

Well, the last time we had a major El Niño was in early 1998, and it was actually very easy to detect EXACTLY when it began and ended. We had normal rainfall up thru 31 DEC 1997. As of 01 JAN 1998 the drought began, and continued until 25 MAR 1998, and during these 82 days we only had just over 6 inches. Normal rainfall resumed on 26 MAR 1998!

A comparison with the year before and after illustrates my point: during the same 82 day period in 1997 we had 42.25 inches and in 1999 we had 47.07 inches. The exact amount in 1998 was 6.17 inches.

The problem with low rainfall, I found out, is threefold:

1) the obvious - lack of rain

2) because of lack of rain, we also had fewer clouds, which meant MANY more sunny days that dried out the soil much more quickly

3) reduced humidity which took its toll on some rainforest palms that really like high humidity, specifically some Geonomas and Pholidostachys.

Bo-Göran