IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

A 38 F water temp. in Florida, WOW! About the zone map, I believe that small area of zone 9b centered on metro Orlando is more like a 10a. The USDA zones are meant to represent an average. Thus, saying this is a "9b year" or a "9a year" isn't really accurate since the zones have nothing to do with any single year. Even during this 2010 freeze, the lowest temp at the Orlando Exec. Airport (which I believe best represents the Orlando urban heat island) was 29 F. This is reflected by the lack of damage to tender plants downtown, compared to that observed in the suburbs. Clearly, the long term average lowest annual low temp. in the heat island is a solid 10a. If this event is the new worst case scenario for metro Orlando, then we really have it made.

-Michael

There are encouraging results among some tragedies. Understandably, south Florida fared the best.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Depends on your definition of south Florida, seems that SW Florida got nailed pretty hard while SE Florida fared better, although not unscathed.

I guess it also depends on whether you were a TRAGEDY or an ENCOURAGING result! :winkie:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again!

These predicted temps have been steadily revised lower for the last several days,initally nothing under 40F. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they revise them even lower the actual night before each day, which is pretty usual! If they miss Wednesday night by as much as they missed the next to last night of our last freeze, the last night for some, (8 degrees here, predicted by NWS 31F, actual low was 24.4F) then we are in big trouble!

Forecasted low temps for the next 5 nights, kinda all over the place...

..................Tue....Wed....Thur....Fri....Sat

NWS...........41F...35F.....39F.....40F....42F

W/under......40F...34F.....38F.....40 F...40F

Weath.com...48F...37F.....44F.....44F....42F

Accu/w..........40F...37F.....38F.....41F....43F

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Here we go again!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they revise them even lower the actual night before each day, which is pretty usual!

They didn't wait until the day before...

The NWS service has already dropped it to 33F for wed night/thurs morning, down from their 35F prediction of this morning! :hmm:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

and the beat goes on! No 70F high for Tampa Bay in the 7 day forecast, and today I slept for 2 hours after work! Surprise...SAD. Seasonal Affected Depression.I have spent exactly one hour in my yard in the past 10 days because its either been too cold, wet, or lingering wet/chill. I did find some nice silver Euro Fans at Wal Mart for $15 which will go in when I work the yard..and a nice Needle Palm (rhap) for the same price! BUt when can I plant them? I'm itching to play in the dirt! Greg :drool: and getting stir crazy

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

and the beat goes on! No 70F high for Tampa Bay in the 7 day forecast, and today I slept for 2 hours after work! Surprise...SAD. Seasonal Affected Depression.I have spent exactly one hour in my yard in the past 10 days because its either been too cold, wet, or lingering wet/chill.

Yeah, I have that (SAD). It was really bad when I tried living up north, just too d__n dark - couldn't function. You need to get outdoors in the sunlight but can't b/c as you said, it's either cold or it's wet or it's both. Someone said "enjoy some beauty when you find it" something like that, but it's a lot easier said than done if winter dreariness affects you this way.

Congrats on the silver Euro fan, btw - good choice, wish they were more available here. The two palms I have that were really champs and handled the frost well were Hemi-thrinax morrissii & Ravenea glauca and good luck finding either one around here. or anywhere. But both are excellent choices for St. Pete. Roebs & rupis are great here as well.

Has anyone ever tried Brahea decumbens in FL? I know the braheas aren't supposed to be a good choice for us, but armata has grown here.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

• 8 years later...

June July August September; the best option for a holiday in the sea without precipitation. The olive breeze and the pine scent are magnificent, the sky is clear; France corisica mediterranean.

Ekran Alıntısı.PNG

However, other areas are mediocre for dreary, cloudy, rainy weather, holidays and sunshine; America Florida atlantic ocean.

FIorida.PNG

Edited by kingdom67