IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

Don't dig for a couple months if you see green on the spears, or at all on the big ones. You might have some surprising survivors.

I have a feeling chilly weather veterans in CA are gonna be the ones we look up to during our upcoming outbreak of fungal attacks...

I couldn't do this every year. I'd grow pine.

You know Bill, we had a "Frost/freeze damage" So Cal magazine that came out a while after and showed what people had gone thru and how they had coped.

One thing that I saw some had success with that I hadn't thought of was if you had a moderately fast growing palm, to cut off the top just low enough to get below any potential crown rot, but obviously not so low as to kill the meristem. The theory that seemed to work was if the palm was not having to fight fungus and could at least get 1/2 a leaf or so to open, it stood a good chance of recovery.

I've done this in the past with damaged palms that had spear pull. You just gradually cut small slices in the crown. I do it in like inch increments, keep watching where there is a hollow cavity where the spear had filled. You can gently poke down in that cavity to feel where "solid" tissue is (the bud). Cut the palm at a sharp angle just above this so any accumilating water will drain out. I've had quite a few palms survive from this where as they might had their buds rot with that cavity filled with water. Elaeis, Archontophoenix, Syagrus, Aiphanes, Dypsis, Pritchardia, Wodyetia, Cryosophila etc. have gone through this procedure. I believe I tried this after reading Dent Smith performing this surgery on damaged palms.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

As far as averages go, I really believe that north and southwest Brevard are biting the bullet the most. I have been sticking in the low 30's the whole event so far here in Rockledge, yet those in Port St. John, Titusville, and parts of Melbourne have been taking a licken in the mid 20's for several days now.

Brevard County, Fl

Think some dry air just blew in??????? Wow....Ive never seen such a massive drop in dewpoint in such a short period before.

post-200-1263312131_thumb.png

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

omg we hit 63 most be a mistake. LOL call baynews9

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

I wonder if the amount of frost that was apparent this morning was exascerbated by the cool down in soil temps. Since warmer soil will radiate up to help warm up the air. With the duration of the cold you've had and cold soil temps, that warmth wasn't available.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I bottomed out at 39.1F at around 7:30am.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

I wonder if the amount of frost that was apparent this morning was exascerbated by the cool down in soil temps. Since warmer soil will radiate up to help warm up the air. With the duration of the cold you've had and cold soil temps, that warmth wasn't available.

That sounds reasonable.

Brevard County, Fl

Its also didnt hurt that the temperature and dewpoint were only a few degrees apart.

Larry 

HA! Just went outside and thought I heard RAIN!

Its warming up fairly quickly now and I figured it out..........

Its the frost melting off the palm leaves and falling down as water! It appears even the leaves way up high have been given a good coat of ice.

It is painful to read your posts, Larry but I much appreciate how well you have chronicled this historic event. This weekend when minimums are in the 60's in Florida the frost will be a bad memory but it's amazing how some trees come back. In 2007 I recall a tall majesty in the canyon below me that was so fried I thought it would be cut down. Today it stands high & healthy at 20'. Florida's warmth will return & so will many of the palms. :greenthumb:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

The cold weather might subside but the damage will only begin for some. Those with just a slight bronze look will be brown in a few weeks to months. Sometimes palms slow way down after getting hit as hard as some of us got and they take a year to recover the crown. Though the warmth is coming the cold damage will be a reminder of how fragile our gardens are. I hope all the best and if we don't get slammed again this winter that will help.

David

The sun is coming up here and some real nastiness is being exposed.

All of my large Royals appear to have been blowtorched overnight. My Coconuts also look atrocious. By this afternoon when it (supposedly) warms up, my yard is going to smell really bad.

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

I know how it feels Larry. I went looking around the yard to find the same thing what you said between wind burned and this frost event really done its toll

Its just too much for too long!

Looks like one more night and well get a break.

Larry 

As far as averages go, I really believe that north and southwest Brevard are biting the bullet the most. I have been sticking in the low 30's the whole event so far here in Rockledge, yet those in Port St. John, Titusville, and parts of Melbourne have been taking a licken in the mid 20's for several days now.

Wish I could disagree with you Jim, but that seems to be the case, especially if you stayed in the low 30's in Rockledge less than 20 miles south. Then south of you Melbourne also got hit with mid 20's. :)

I'm still in SHOCK that I had a low of 24.4F last night, but checking stations around me I guess it isn't an error/mistake?

I have never noticed Titusville as being a traditional cold spot to surrounding areas, but last night we were. It's not like there are major topographical differences,or geography differences between such small areas here in east central Florida. Proximity to a big body of water didn't help me last night as one station farther west,as well as north recorded a slightly higher temp!

When it started plumeting last night I thought maybe it was equipment error, but alas we seemed to be in the cross hairs of this event.

Hope everyone recovers from this crap as well as possible!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

here the temp dropped from 34f to 30 in under an hr, held at 29f for almost 2 hrs (and all this happened just after sunrise). Heavy frost everywhere, damaged some palms that were undamaged from windy 28f lows. A large Beccario, a Sy costae hybrid, even my Wamin bamboo took a major hit. Frosty sucks...

- dave

Unbelievably, we have another night below freezing (29) in Louisiana, which probably means two more cold nights in Northern Florida.

But it really doesn't matter that much to be honest with you. The damage is starting to reveal itself from low 20s nights, and let me tell you, it is extensive. Gonna be a lot of dead stuff around here this spring. Time to rethink the planting plan for sure.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hey the NWS just revised my forecast low for tonight to 34F up from 32F!

So that means if I subract the 8 degrees they missed it by last night, my actual low tonight should be around 26F! :mrlooney:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Despite my normal inability to distinguish between normal green and the bronze/chocolate color, I could definitely tell something was not right with all the royals planted at SPC in Seminole. The leaflets looked like they were already folding in, which is a shame because just last fall I was remarking to myself how gorgeous and healthy they looked, and figured that they would probably be a permanent fixture (which they still might--they'll just look ugly as sin). Interestingly, from what I could tell the foxtails didn't even seem to notice anything had happened.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

Despite my normal inability to distinguish between normal green and the bronze/chocolate color, I could definitely tell something was not right with all the royals planted at SPC in Seminole. The leaflets looked like they were already folding in, which is a shame because just last fall I was remarking to myself how gorgeous and healthy they looked, and figured that they would probably be a permanent fixture (which they still might--they'll just look ugly as sin). Interestingly, from what I could tell the foxtails didn't even seem to notice anything had happened.

Too early to tell on the Foxtails. A couple of years ago, my Cocothrinax looked great for the 3 weeks after the freeze (26), then overnight every frond turned brown at once. It did come back, by the way. And again, on this freeze it looks good so far (3 days after the worst), but if I was a betting man, I would bet its dead and just doesn't know it yet.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, So I am guessing reality has 'snapped you back' (per your signature) :unsure:

finnaly slowly warming here, damage is going to be bad and slowly showing itself. stay tuned.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

I'm using my laptop outside on the patio without a jacket on, and I just had a mosquito try to land on my hand. It's 64F at 5:30pm.

I REALLY hope this bad run ends for you guys tonight.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I'm using my laptop outside on the patio without a jacket on, and I just had a mosquito try to land on my hand. It's 64F at 5:30pm.

Normally, I would say thats not exactly a warm late afternoon! Put a jacket on!

But, today, Id say its pretty damn good :mrlooney:

Ive already "recalibrated" as driving home this afternoon, with temps in the 50's, I actually rolled the windows down and thought, "this doesnt feel too bad".

Larry 

Looks like one more night in the 30's for me (forecasts 34 to 38F), then hopefully a real warmup.

Larry 

Keith, So I am guessing reality has 'snapped you back' (per your signature) :unsure:

finnaly slowly warming here, damage is going to be bad and slowly showing itself. stay tuned.

Yes, it has "snapped me back" as I always knew it would. I started preparing for this 3 years ago when I just got tired of all of the "protecting" hoorah every year, by investing in Mules, a few other hybrids, and some of the more cold hardy palms.

But I'll be honest, I still wasn't quite prepared for the amount of damage I am seeing, and that I know has yet to reveal itself.

At least my low-chill Pears and Plums may flower and even fruit. The last few winters have been so mild they didn't even flower.

I can already tell there is going to be frond damage on all 12 of my queens, I just hope the spears don't pull on them. But if I have learned one thing about queens....don't give up on them.

My 5 Bizmarkia's look remarkably good for the time being.....but I know that these may show damage in the days to come.....just hoping they survive.

I have 2 triple Chinese fan palms that did pretty well so far.....but I can see the tell tell signs of dark green damage to some of the leaves

2 tall Washingonia's are too tall to gauge but 5 smaller ones have some damage.

3 multi C. cataractums ......one severely browned already .....the other starting to show damage

1 small R. rivularis damaged badly

No damage the 4 C. humilis as expected

of course no damage to 7 large S. minors

2 Butia capita's show no damage

No damage to my one small Mule

No damage yet to 2 P. canarisis

No damage to 2 P. sylvestris

Some damage to P. dactylifera (Medjool).....but not sure if it was the cold

Some damage to one exposed Lady palm the other ....no damage (R. excelsia)

No damage to 10 Sago cycads.....yet

No damage to 1 coontie cycad

Slight damage to 1 carboard cycad

Did sustain damage to a Mewa and Nagami kumquat...I'm suprised

sustained damage satsuma and Myers lemon

2 Loquats undamaged

several Phylodendron Sellenium....melted

2 other types of Phylodendron.....melted

of course all banana's, elephant ear varieties melted

small bouganvilla....killed to the ground

small rubber tree....killed to the ground

4 Hibiscus.....killed to the ground

several pinapple plants.....looking bad, but might make it

several crinum lilies.....ditto

Snake plant (mother in laws tongue) suprisingly little damage

3 small Plumeria's have lost there leaves but are suprisingly still green on tips....big suprise

All water plants in my water feature are brown....maybe it was the ice that did them in

2 Bird of Paradise.....killed to the ground

Various vines....killed to the ground

Various ferns....killed to the ground

Firecracker plant.....killed to the ground

various gingers killed to the ground

Asparagus fern 20% damage

Cast Iron Plants......no damage

Vinca's killed to the ground

Damaged assorted landscape grasses (Aztec etc.)

That's about all I can think of.........all of my more tender palms and plants are, snug as a bug, in a rug, inside the house or little heated greenhouse

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Crap... Got home tonight and noticed that the bottles looked kinda brown. They were very green yesterday. Turns out I had the heater set to 'fan' instead of 'low' last night. 12hours below freezing and they're mush (even under a plastic tent). Services are pending...

Everything else looks good, I just can't believe I slipped like that. 3 years in the ground :(

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Crap... Got home tonight and noticed that the bottles looked kinda brown. They were very green yesterday. Turns out I had the heater set to 'fan' instead of 'low' last night. 12hours below freezing and they're mush (even under a plastic tent). Services are pending...

Everything else looks good, I just can't believe I slipped like that. 3 years in the ground :(

D'oh! That sounds like something I would do. (Not that it's funny in the least, but if those things could talk, they probably would've been like "why is this b#$%@ blowing cold air on me?") I know the frustration of making simple mistakes that can turn out to have devastating results, and the agony of "woulda shoulda"-ing yourself to death. Don't get discouraged, though--I'm impressed by what you're able to do up there.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

Mush. Yikes.

I folded up the frost cloth and blankets today and put the orchids and some potted palms back into the yard.

Despite a low of 28 and many hours of freezing temperatures, the only serious palm damage in the yard appears to be to a pair of Satakentia liukiuensis. The leaves aren't entirely browned, but they look somewhat worse than most coconut palms in the vicinity.

Palms looking fine or only slightly fazed include:

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (2)

A. tuckeri (3)

Syagrus schizophylla

Carpentaria acuminata (2)

Dypsis carlsmithii

Dypsis plumosa

Dypsis cf. madagascarensis (need flowers for full identification)

Dypsis decaryi

Coccothrinax crinita hybrid

Coccothrinax spissa

Coccothrinax x Zombia

Ptychosperma elegans (solitaire)

Chamaedorea metallica (several)

Chamaedorea seifritzii (2)

Chamaedorea stonolifera

Crysophila

Sabal minor (of course)

Thrinax radiata

Allagoptera arenaria

Acoelorraphe wrightii

Rhapis laosensis (several)

Rhapis subtilis

Rhapis humilis

Zamia variegata and Dioon merolae looking fine.

Heliconias--some looking good, others browned

Jaboticaba--looking fine

Mangos--unfazed

Panama rose (Rondeletia leucophylla) some toasted leaves and buds

Bromeliads (Aechmea mariae-reginae, Vriesia imperialis, Aechmea blanchetiana, Neoregelia, etc.)--fine

Assorted begonias--fine (protected with frost cloth)

Flowering hippeastrums, cv. Floris Heckler--fine (protected with frost cloth)

Simpson stopper (Myrcianthes fragrans)--fine

Helianthus debilis--beach sunflower)--fine

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Low of 34.9F reached at 301AM this morning. Its a relatively toasty 37F now!

There is no frost on any plants that I can see, but I see frost on rooftops here and there as well as car roofs. Of course, I dont know if the plants go frosted in the wee hours of the morning when it was a few degrees colder.

post-200-1263384233_thumb.png

Larry 

It's so tragic reading of all this loss. I really feel terrible for every one of you and the loss of your well-loved plantings - because I know how bad I'm feeling right now.

It's not just my yard - I'll replant with things I like one way or another. But it's knowing that all the beautiful palms I enjoy driving around town - they're all pretty much toast, except for heavily travelled roads like 49th St. It's not going to look the same around here. Not any time soon... or ever...

I'll do a post mortem this weekend when I have a better idea of how much I've lost. My favorites - about 50 of them - have been indoors so luckily we still have those.

Here are some very bad indicators around town: seagrapes looking awful, beaucarnia and selloum singed a bit, pentas and plumerias dead.... even natives & weeds are getting hit - the beggars ticks at work withered.

In the paper, there are incredible stories of fish kills - many fish, even in the gulf. The fishing charters are saying "don't bother."

In Plant City, in Hillsborough, sinkholes are opening and wells running dry as the farmers pump water in a desperate attempt to save crops - and livelihoods. The aquifer is down 60 feet. Part of I-4 shut down due to a suspected sinkhole.

Bugs are dying: bees, wasps, even (as hard to believe as this may be) cockroaches! Which means the birds will suffer. (OT footnote: the cardinal pair that nests near our house have come to our backdoor cheeping for food, which we give them.)

The 11th brought record cold lows to many areas (I posted the list in the other thread), and that was followed by the heaviest frost many of us long-timers have ever seen. Flurries were seen in Naples and Miami. In many ways, it wasn't as bad as '89 - it was worse.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Dang me, Dang me......oughtta take a rope and hang me.............I went to bed at around 10:00 p.m last night to a balmy 42 degree temperature. After midnight it dropped like a rock down to a low of 27 this morning around 5:00 am..........I uncovered everything yesterday thinking it wouldn't freeze. :rant::badday::rage:

I wish we had smiley for somebody putting a gun to their head..........Dang.....I'm stoopid. Cover stuff for 9 days straight then do something like that ......only light frost ..........uuuugggghhh :rage:

Edited by Alicehunter2000

You and Cobra can start a new palm club.

Heck, I can be the president as I didnt even make any attempts throughout all this.

Larry 

We can call it the "Popsicle Palm Club".........I'll let him be President.

Got up late this morning... around 7:30 am and it was 23* outside. When will this crap ever end? It looks almost like it snowed last night! :huh: Heavy frost is getting old, maybe tomorrow will be better? I still have a feeling that we will be at freezing over night. Now they are saying high 70's for Friday, not sure I can handle that kind of heat after this long haul of cold weather...

Edited by JayW

Zone 9 Central Florida

Looks like I hit 33 during the night. It was 38.4 at 8 a.m. Most of my subtropical stuff is still covered. My husband isn't working today so he will remove the sheets, towels and t-shirts to reveal the ugly truth. Last night when I made the evening tour I noticed my Veitchia winin - never robust anyway - is turning brown and wilted. I expect it won't make it. Our bananas, heliconias and alocasias look like melting candles.

Driving to work this morning I saw even the golden canes are now bronze canes, green crownshafts on Adonidias are now brown. This is just the start. Damage will probably get worse as time passes. So sad.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It's so tragic reading of all this loss. I really feel terrible for every one of you and the loss of your well-loved plantings - because I know how bad I'm feeling right now.

It's not just my yard - I'll replant with things I like one way or another. But it's knowing that all the beautiful palms I enjoy driving around town - they're all pretty much toast, except for heavily travelled roads like 49th St. It's not going to look the same around here. Not any time soon... or ever...

I'll do a post mortem this weekend when I have a better idea of how much I've lost. My favorites - about 50 of them - have been indoors so luckily we still have those.

Here are some very bad indicators around town: seagrapes looking awful, beaucarnia and selloum singed a bit, pentas and plumerias dead.... even natives & weeds are getting hit - the beggars ticks at work withered.

In the paper, there are incredible stories of fish kills - many fish, even in the gulf. The fishing charters are saying "don't bother."

In Plant City, in Hillsborough, sinkholes are opening and wells running dry as the farmers pump water in a desperate attempt to save crops - and livelihoods. The aquifer is down 60 feet. Part of I-4 shut down due to a suspected sinkhole.

Bugs are dying: bees, wasps, even (as hard to believe as this may be) cockroaches! Which means the birds will suffer. (OT footnote: the cardinal pair that nests near our house have come to our backdoor cheeping for food, which we give them.)

The 11th brought record cold lows to many areas (I posted the list in the other thread), and that was followed by the heaviest frost many of us long-timers have ever seen. Flurries were seen in Naples and Miami. In many ways, it wasn't as bad as '89 - it was worse.

THank you for the detailed report. Man, Im really sorry to hear about all the losses everyone down there is suffering. It almost makes me not look forward to my next trip to St. Pete/ Tampa. I know my good friends yard is going to be dramatically different. I would venture a guess that most, if not all of his 6-8 foot tall Plumerias are toast, and all of his Selloum are at the very least defoliated, and probably all the very large dracena are gone. Man, maybe the only things left in his yard may be the queen palm in the front, and the live oaks in the back. Hopefully it will be another 30 years or longer before another deep and protracted freeze event hits down there again, although I would hope it NEVER happens again. Oddly enough, save for a couple nights two weeks ago, the lows here have not been as bad (for our area). I only recorded one night two weekends ago of 15.5. The lowest since has been about 18-19 on the coldest nights, but more in the low to mid 20s. It just kind of blows me away that you were as cold, and often COLDER down there than we were up here in the DC area for most of this event.

At least it looks like things will be really moderating and almost returning to 'normal' down there starting today. Were actually suposed to go above 40 here for the first time in almost a month. Wahoo! and Friday, were supposed to see low 50s!!!! Time to break out the shorts!

I hope things turn out to be not as bad as they appear on the surface. I guess only time will tell. Till then, Im sending you all warm thoughts and wishes for full recovery of all that has been zapped.

Looks like I hit 33 during the night. It was 38.4 at 8 a.m. Most of my subtropical stuff is still covered. My husband isn't working today so he will remove the sheets, towels and t-shirts to reveal the ugly truth. Last night when I made the evening tour I noticed my Veitchia winin - never robust anyway - is turning brown and wilted. I expect it won't make it. Our bananas, heliconias and alocasias look like melting candles.

Driving to work this morning I saw even the golden canes are now bronze canes, green crownshafts on Adonidias are now brown. This is just the start. Damage will probably get worse as time passes. So sad.

Indeed damage is more noticeable now and i am sure its going to get very interesting most of Florida, Texas, Louisiana, As time goes on. I just sure hope we never see this again in our life time

I guess its time to stock on mule palms and queen at least your don't have to worry as much about these. I just wish we can make a spray to ward off frost thats what causes the most harm

if we didn't get that frost on Monday-nite. I am sure we would have little damage but hang in there and have some positive thinking about your palms if they ugly now just do your normal routine around the garden water and protect them we will get thru this it just takes time. I know its hard but nature will heal the wounds indeed its sad frustrating,angry in a nutshell this can be used as a tool on what palms have the cold hardiness or what they claim the palm can go down to and what there limits are what we need to do is have separate freeze data for the palm growing zones states Like Texas,Louisiana, Florida and others. This will help incase this happens again where you live where you can go back and see your state and how people got thru and the duration of the cold spell this just an idea. :mrlooney:

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

It is still cold up here in the northwest today.....upper 40's .....not so sure it won't freeze tonight....the horror continues....damn you Mr. Freeze!

post-97-1263413505_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alicehunter2000

Just uncovered everything. It does not look good. Although all my clumping palms are damaged, there is GREEN in them there stems...lol... so they will rebound. Even my 30' tall fishtail, while fried, has green stems. I haven't the heart to look out front and see if my Triangle Palm, too tall that it must be professional pruned, is damaged. In the 90's it got burnt, but the damage took a few weeks to show. My Bromeliads look surprisingly good, even the ones in my open back yard. Time will tell. 32.8F with HEAVY FROST this morning. Greg in New Port Richey :asleep:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast