IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

Hit my low around 7:30am of 34.2F. No frost and no ice anywhere again, even the top of my car had no frost, only dew. Very slight breeze. So breathing another sigh of releif. My betelnut looks a bit ragged with some spotting and discoloration, but can't see anything else on any of the other palms, at this point. But still very concerned because of the sheer length of this cold snap (10 days) and by how low the highs were on so many days. Time will tell. Supposed to be back up to 80F by Saturday. Can't happen quick enough for me.

We bottomed at 34.6F & my betelnuts are toast!

post-1035-1263216121_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1263216301_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Why are the upper keys so cold? I keep seeing readings in the high 20's there, colder than us. Is there a reason for this?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Believe it. Your bismarkia is touched -- it just won't show it until later today or somewhat later. My bismarkias, and I have eight of them, were burned badly last winter when my low was 23.5F near the house. Out where my bizzys were it may have been a degree or two colder. But in any event, the damage manifests itself with time. What's important here, IMO, is whether your bizzies will survive.
I know what you're saying, Walt. The reason I said "seems" was because I've heard people say exactly what you're saying, that they didn't see the damage right off... I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed, but I know there's at least some minor damage at these temps. I debated on covering it, but knew that in a few years, if it survived, it would be too big to cover anyway, so I decide to let it fend for itself. I'll keep you updated...

JayW: If your bismarkia survives, I would at least try to keep the growth bud and base (until a trunk forms) from freezing (future cold events). You would need string lights (or equivalent, such as electric heating cables) and blankets, moving quilts, etc., to wrap around the base to hold in the heat given off by the lights.

The above is what I do as a last resort when palms become to big to cover. And I'm talking about covering and employing some kind of supplemental heat, as covering alone will only help to mitigate frost formation on the palms leaves, and not provide any heat, unless the palm is totally tented, then it might capture some rising ground heat and keep temps inside the tent a few degrees warmer than the air outside the tent.

I didn't provide any protection to my bismark palms, but my low of 28 degrees this morning wasn't as bad as the 23.5 low I had last January.

Good luck to your bismarkia. I hope it pulls through.

Mad about palms

I doubt some of these readings myself. I would think 35F is more accurate; that is still pretty cold if you think about it. In fact Cocoa Beach was warmer than Key Largo.

EDIT: Actually Key Largo was 36F, and Cocoa Beach was 35F. Still!

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

my low here in Titusville was 28.9F almost a full degree warmer than yesterdays low!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Why are the upper keys so cold? I keep seeing readings in the high 20's there, colder than us. Is there a reason for this?

There is one station there that is wacko.....guess which one? It logged 25F.....obviously not a reliable station and not in line with other nearby stations.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat...pix=0&dir=0

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I've lived in Orlando for 30 yrs and this is the absolute longest spell of cold weather thats occured. It was colder lows in '83,85, and 89 but never this long of a cold. I'm rather impressed though what must now be the heat island protection in Orlando now. The coldest low we have recorded so far at Leu Gardens was 29F on 1/10, the only night below 30 so far. Here is what Jan. has turned out so far. So no absolute killing temperatures but just an awful long streak of them. When it warms up a little I will venture out and look for damage. I didn't notice anything serious yet on my drive in from work. I just live a few miles from work so don't drive too far. So far I have only noticed some minor burn on exposed Adonidia and Dypsis lutescens. My 6ft coconut on the SE side of my house got no protection other than the house and tree overhang and it looks good so far. The big coconuts on the side of Lake Estelle got their buds wrapped over the weekend but the fronds still looked green, same with the royals. Foxtails looks fine so far but all these might show damage later. Please let the next month or so by with no other freezes. Now locations outside of Orlando dropped into the low/mid 20s and to the NW was down into the upper teens.

Jan. 1 68/47

Jan. 2 58/39

Jan. 3 47/36

Jan. 4 52/33

Jan. 5 47/35

Jan. 6 50/31

Jan. 7 61/30

Jan. 8 59/38

Jan. 9 41/31

Jan. 10 45/29

Jan. 11 /30

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Checked the data for the NWS stations at Orlando Intl Airport (south of Orlando) and Orlando Execuitve Airport (just east of downtown). They are showing similar readings. OIA used to be colder than OEA but now they are very similar. Here is their Jan. lows, last night/this morning is in parantheses.

OIA

48, 39, 36, 33, 34, 31, 30, 34, 30, 29, (29)

OEA

47, 39, 36, 32, 35, 31, 31, 39, 31, 28, (30)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

and don't let the high of 41F on Sat. fool you. It was mid 30sF most of the day with a light rain in the morning. Didn't see any sleet or snow, just rain. That is the coldest it has ever been in the day since I lived here..

So far the only real damage in my yard is where a herd of mastadons stampeded through my heliconias and bananas on the side yard. I think a polar bear chased them.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

So far the only real damage in my yard is where a herd of mastadons stampeded through my heliconias and bananas on the side yard. I think a polar bear chased them.

HAHAHHAHAHA!

Larry 

Good Advice Walt. I have never put Christmas lights on any plant other than a Christmas tree until this event, and only then when temps looked to go below 27. At this point I just want the palm to survive. It was not difficult to wrap only the bud with lights and a sheet.

Erik....I'm glad to hear that Orlando (the city proper) did not receive the same temps as surrounding areas. With the way things were sounding down there, I was thinking devestation....now maybe not so much (at least in your area).

post-97-1263218118_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

my low here in Titusville was 28.9F almost a full degree warmer than yesterdays low!

And you doubted globl warming! TSK TSK TSK!

Larry 

I'd be stocking up on fungicide if I lived in Florida, before everyone buys the stores out of it.

Some totally astonishing experiences on this thread. I'd have never thought that Florida would ever get this cold.

Here in Oz, having never been to the US, the only things I have to shape my picture of Florida are Miami Vice, CSI Miami and Palmtalk. What conflicting images I have at the moment. :wacko:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here in Oz, having never been to the US, the only things I have to shape my picture of Florida are Miami Vice, CSI Miami and Palmtalk. What conflicting images I have at the moment. :wacko:

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone-

99% of Florida is not like that, regardless of temperature :mrlooney:

Larry 

NewPicture3.jpg

NewPicture4.jpg

NewPicture5.jpg

NewPicture6.jpg

Wow, it was colder in the Homstead/Redlands area then it was in most of Palm Beach County.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Good Advice Walt. I have never put Christmas lights on any plant other than a Christmas tree until this event, and only then when temps looked to go below 27. At this point I just want the palm to survive. It was not difficult to wrap only the bud with lights and a sheet.

Erik....I'm glad to hear that Orlando (the city proper) did not receive the same temps as surrounding areas. With the way things were sounding down there, I was thinking devestation....now maybe not so much (at least in your area).

I think the tender zone 10 palms in the outlying 'burbs probably will be severely injured/killed.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

HAHAHHAHAHA!

I took photos for evidence and have sent them to Al SnoreBore. I am filing for compensation and a carbon credit refund. The only problem with that is now my yard will be declared a Federal Mastadon Protection Refuge and I will have to replace the tropicals with willows, buttercups and other mastadon friendly plants.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone-

99% of Florida is not like that, regardless of temperature :mrlooney:

Here in oviedo we saw a night of 23 and last night 25 - multiple frosts and im praying for my 20' cocos to pull through

We had 29 degrees here at Redland Nursery. At my house in Cutler Ridge area I had 32 degrees. I used christmas light on my double cocconut along with frost blankets. Lets hope the damage will not be to severe.

28.5 at 7:30 according to the gauge in the backyard lemon tree. If accurate, that would beat the 29 I experienced in the mid-90s. As I had to go to work I couldn't check out any plants. But there was heavy frost/ice on car windshields and the sheet covering the succulents I didn't take indoors was covered with frost. I won't be able to assess damage on any covered palms as I won't uncover them till later in the week, after lows rise above 40. Unbelievable.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I took photos for evidence and have sent them to Al SnoreBore. I am filing for compensation and a carbon credit refund. The only problem with that is now my yard will be declared a Federal Mastadon Protection Refuge and I will have to replace the tropicals with willows, buttercups and other mastadon friendly plants.
:D

Zone 9 Central Florida

Starting from the 2nd of January:

Rockledge: 45, 40, 37, 38, 32, 36, 42, 32, 30, 33

Merritt Island: 42, 39, 35, 36, 31, 35, 40, 33, 30, 33

Cocoa Beach: 43, 41, 37, 37, 33, 38, 42, 34, 32, 34

Port St. John: 38, 34, 30, 32, 26, 27, 34, 29, 28, 29

Brevard County, Fl

This was one of those nights when Cutler Ridge on Biscayne Bay was as cold as Vero Beach or the barrier islands of Brevard County.

Florida was less prone to cold snaps during the ice age--the high Canadian ice sheets evidently blocked the southward movement of cold air. So the mastodons (and much of the present-day flora) did pretty nicely, despite the climate being drier than it is now.

Tyrone, this winter's temperatures aren't unusual, but the duration of cold weather is. The long duration of near-freezing temperatures is something Californians have sometimes suffered, but it's a novelty for us.

The Fort Myers newspaper is reporting devastation to vegetable crops, some of it from the persistence of the cold. Also, an esteemed native fish, the snook, is being killed in large numbers by cold water.

I sometimes provide advice at Trip Advisor, and have sometimes been criticized for pointing out the risk of cold in January.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Tyrone, this winter's temperatures aren't unusual, but the duration of cold weather is. The long duration of near-freezing temperatures is something Californians have sometimes suffered, but it's a novelty for us.

The Fort Myers newspaper is reporting devastation to vegetable crops, some of it from the persistence of the cold. Also, an esteemed native fish, the snook, is being killed in large numbers by cold water.

Another thing that I found very unusual down here, was the COLD rain all day long one day. The cold usually comes in right after the front (with its rain) rolls through. That cold rainy day felt more like weather in Raleigh, NC or Richmond, VA. Very weird and not sure how this also will affect the palms.

Also, regarding the fish kills, I recall a few years ago that the canals and lakes were full of dead Tilapia around here, following a cold snap. It seemed to take a few days after the snap before you started seeing them all floating around. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't happen again.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

It could have been a lot worse. Considering the daytime highs, persistance of cold air, and predictions of Orlando being in the low 20's for example, this situation could have been worse.

Brevard County, Fl

Hit my low around 7:30am of 34.2F. No frost and no ice anywhere again, even the top of my car had no frost, only dew. Very slight breeze. So breathing another sigh of releif. My betelnut looks a bit ragged with some spotting and discoloration, but can't see anything else on any of the other palms, at this point. But still very concerned because of the sheer length of this cold snap (10 days) and by how low the highs were on so many days. Time will tell. Supposed to be back up to 80F by Saturday. Can't happen quick enough for me.

We bottomed at 34.6F & my betelnuts are toast!

Mine look similar, but kind of high to get that good of a look at. Did you have frost? Probably not huh? I did not and mine still look similar to this already. How old/large are yours? Mine probably have about 10-12' of wood and I had hoped that with age they might become a tad more cold tolerant, but they consistently seem to get pretty beat up during winter, but come back fine with warmth and water.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

It could have been a lot worse. Considering the daytime highs, persistance of cold air, and predictions of Orlando being in the low 20's for example, this situation could have been worse.

Exactly, a couple nights had lows of 25F predicted in metro Orlando. Glad that never panned out !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Exactly, a couple nights had lows of 25F predicted in metro Orlando. Glad that never panned out !

I saw one prediction for 34689 (my zip in Tarpon Springs) at 24F! Also glad this did not happen.....but I sppose we do have about another month "window" left in which it could possibly :mrlooney:

Larry 

Wow! Lower 40s in the Lower Keys. That has to be some kind of record there.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

SSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't scare the warm weather before it comes back !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, we will be looking for some reports from Leu certainly on some of your more unique plantings there. How did Leu prepare for this weather?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I have to agree with Eric. I have never seen the long-term cold of this nature. Orlando will certainly be effected but the damage will have to be extensive throughout South Florida,where Coconuts and many other Tropicals are everywhere.

What you look for is what is looking

Wow! Lower 40s in the Lower Keys. That has to be some kind of record there.

I think the record for Key West is 41F set 1/13/81. It looks like the official station there bottomed at 43F this AM.

They had to have smashed their all time record low high temp record though. I believe it only hit 52F there yesterday for the high and the old low high record for any date was 55F. So, pretty rough down there by historical standards.

Larry 

Low was 27.5F back 28F front. Ice solid in tubs and anywhere water accumulated. It is in the 40's now..WOW! A heat wave! Up at campus when I arrived it was 20F, so Spring Hill could have been 16-17F..told you its a different zone altogether up there. There is no use in planting ANYTHING higher than 9a cuz it will freeze, and freeze often. It was 19F up there last winter while I was 28F in New Port Richey. Kenneth City (inland ST PETE) rec orded 27F! This will go down in history. Tampa already broke its streak for longest consecutive days below 60F and its still counting. Oh well, soon we shall see damage show and what survived! Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Eric, we will be looking for some reports from Leu certainly on some of your more unique plantings there. How did Leu prepare for this weather?

Nothing, tender stuff in pots were put in the greenhouse and some tender annual beds and poinsttia plantings were covered with frost cloth. Everything else is on its own.

No covering for me. I outgrew that routine back in the 90s. If it doesn't make it then too bad. Just try to plant smart and utilize the microclimates.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Warming a tad, but still only 54.4 at 12:40pm. Going to be a stretch to make it to low 60's as predicted.

Temperaturegraph1-11-09.jpg

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Went around the yard to see what was damage to surprising everything is in fair shape minor burning due to the cold rain and then got cold

but other that things are fair but as time goes by i am seeing what the cold as done its mark over an extended period of time the palms are stressing

and other tropical plants as well and what. I covered is in good shape all the palms i have some kind of minor burn due to frost/wind plus we had that cold rain

it didn't help either. I think most of everyone is seeing that type of damage. Alright Mother nature we had enough of this time to send some Warmer weather

hope everyone has none to minor damage and to a full recovery.

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Been seeing lotsa frozen critters today, frogs, igunana, toads, Bahamian curly tails, geckos etc...

My fish hate this crap. I'm certain some have perished. I don't even wanna think how dead my Australian redclaws are. :rant: