IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

Low of 28 forecast for Cape Coral. That would beat the 29 I saw in the mid 90s. Lost a trunking Adonidia then. I spent much of the afternoon covering smaller palms in the shade garden. Larger palms are on their own - again. Some of them look like they may be developing damage after yesterday's cold, rainy disaster. I hope tonight's low (and tomorrow's in the 30s) doesn't do some of them in. And I woke up early this morning with a sore throat that's still with me. if it doesn't clear up quick - and probably won't as I have asthma, I'll be trekking to my physician again. This insistent cold is really getting me down.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

19.8F last night. I'm still keeping the 9a designation unless it gets blown away tonight. Last night there was absolutely no wind, which is apparent from the brooksville FAWN readings. There was generally a 4F difference between 2ft and 6ft. My temp meter is at about 3ft, so perhaps that is why it read so low. Will try mounting it higher tonight.

Larry, you guys are doing good so far down there, and I noticed that NOAA raised the forecast for tonight back to 30 or more, depending on where on the point forecast you click. This is good, since I planted a coconut about 2 years ago at my church down there in Dunedin (about 5 blocks from the intercoastal). It wasn't looking so hot today, probably 50% leaf burn, but it's still only about 4ft overall with no trunk yet.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Man, peninsular tampa looks bad for tonight, with 28F being the projected low. Some areas just north of there are saying 25F. Lets hope that doesn't pan out. I personally hate seeing the microclimates get cold, it's the only enjoyment I get when looking at plants around here.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

]

Can I hope/assume then that palms are capable of some degree of "hardening off"? I was wondering if that was possible for them. Does that extend to some extent to more tropical palms? I would like to think that the last couple of cold weeks conferred some advantage that carries through rest of the winter.

I don't think what you are experiencing would be considered hardening off. Hardening off is a gradual process of shutting down growth and sending plants into protective mode. I don't think 80s and 90s for months and then 40F the next week would do that. Nor have you had a gradual lowering of the temps. You went right from the fire into the icebox which is what one really doesn't want to have happen.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

weather.com had me forecast for tonight earlier this morning for 30F....

well they just revised that to 25F.... if they had a clue how could the forecast low go down 5 degrees in less than 12 hours?

weathermen!!!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

weather.com had me forecast for tonight earlier this morning for 30F....

well they just revised that to 25F.... if they had a clue how could the forecast low go down 5 degrees in less than 12 hours?

weathermen!!!

Evil-ness.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Even in Vero Beach, we had 9 hours of 31-32 degree temperatures last night and a high of 47 (8 C) today, with a predicted low of 32 tonight. The forecast for Monday night has been disconcertingly fluctuating between 31 and 38 (3 C).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but weather.com has Vero Beach forecast for 26F tonight!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

NewPicture17.jpg

NewPicture8.jpg

NewPicture7.jpg

NewPicture6.jpg

Ummm...mid thirties in the Miami area - that sounds bad! Sorry for ignoring those to the north, but if these numbers are correct, then Tampa was warmer than Miami last night? Was there frost to go with this? I know this doesn't sound as bad as central Florida, but thinking of all those tropicals that usually don't deal with this, it sounds like they were all shivering last night! Keep us updated on how things go for south Florida too!

Keep warm!

BobSDCA

San Diego

Sunset Zone 23, 10a

Wow! It's 32* right now at 6:12 pm. It's dropped 11 degrees in 1 1/2 hours! It's dropping MUCH faster than last night... skies are clear!

Zone 9 Central Florida

Wow! It's 32* right now at 6:12 pm. It's dropped 11 degrees in 1 1/2 hours! It's dropping MUCH faster than last night... skies are clear!

Sounds just like us last night. Sounds like you are heading down the the low 20s or high teens. We bottomed out at 22 and looking like 23 tonight.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The end is in sight, I 'only' got down to 25.9 last night in Houston (forecast was 22) and tonight is forecast to be 29. We also got up to 48 today which was nice, and also happens to be pretty close to our average LOW this time of year. After tonight there are no freezes in the 10 day forecast.

tallahasse low last night at the airport - 20 degrees, between 12am and 1am.

the wind picked up to 6-7mph and raised it to 26 and the rest of the night was mid 20's. my low was at the same time and I hit 23.

my heat went out on my electric heat, it been in 'critical condition' for the last week, RIP.

58 degrees in my house and falling. :crying:

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

19.8F last night. I'm still keeping the 9a designation unless it gets blown away tonight. Last night there was absolutely no wind, which is apparent from the brooksville FAWN readings. There was generally a 4F difference between 2ft and 6ft. My temp meter is at about 3ft, so perhaps that is why it read so low. Will try mounting it higher tonight.

Larry, you guys are doing good so far down there, and I noticed that NOAA raised the forecast for tonight back to 30 or more, depending on where on the point forecast you click. This is good, since I planted a coconut about 2 years ago at my church down there in Dunedin (about 5 blocks from the intercoastal). It wasn't looking so hot today, probably 50% leaf burn, but it's still only about 4ft overall with no trunk yet.

Just looked at a Dunedin weather station that is close to where I go for church (just north of union st.), and they got to 28F last night! Larry, you've got a pretty good microclimate there. I know that you said St. Pete is normally warmer, but both APs are basically IN the water. Considering that you were only 3F colder than St. Pete/Clw AP, that's pretty good!

Current Brooksville FAWN readings show a huge gradient:

2ft: 26.8F

6ft: 31F

Edit: The station was 'E. of Dunedin Marina' which is always low (too low IMO). They must have their sensor on the ground or something...

Edited by cobra2326

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

gsn,

NWS just now bumped tonight's forecast low for Vero back down to 31 after having raised it a few hours ago to 38.

cobra,

my front-yard Japonica camellia just might flower nicely this year. I got it from Erinon nursery in Plymouth. The owner says the variety requires very little winter cooling and will perform well in Homestead. Of course that's probably saying something about Homestead's infamous ability to get cold even when areas closer to the coast (even up here) don't chill enough to make camellias happy. In biology terms, you might be able to use camellia flowering as a crude bioassay for winter chill.

frito,

when I lived in Wyoming, keeping the house at 50 degrees seemed comfortable. But that's a different context from Tallahassee! Get warm!

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

David,

Your underground sprinklers (I assume that's what you're referring to) should be ok - depending on how far down the pvc pipes are - (mine are about 1ft down)... Up here we usually flush them out around november and turn them back on again in late march. I was told by the guy who maintains mine that, in order for them to freeze, it has to go down to about 15f and STAY there for 3 or 4 days. Some people here never turn them off.

Bobby, that's the type system I have and even though my pipes underground may not freeze and crack, I worry about my above ground pump and pipes associated with it......guess I need to build a little insulated house around it.

Well folks my prediction is tonight will be colder. The wind is dying down and it really feels like its going to be colder.....not scientific I know, but my hunches have been right so far. It is 6:00 p.m and the temp is around 38 degrees. Wind is still from the north around 4-5 mph. It is going to be frosty one as well. This isn't good.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

The local weathercasters have Cape Coral dropping to 28, which would be the lowest I've seen since I moved here in 1993.

But the idiots at Weather.com have me dropping to 25! That's 1 degree off the all-time, once a century low of 24 for Fort Myers. And that record dates back decades. So what are they smoking at Weather.com? Or do they have the Cape confused with Palmdale?

Current temp is 42.1.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

There's still hope; if we hit 88/70 every day after the 15th, then January will average out to normal.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

weather.com uses local major airport for this, here they have been more accurate than anyone else so far this wk. Tho they were off by 2 last night, I had 29f they had me at 27. So not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good .. kudos Run DMC

They have me at 26f tonight. After talking to friends east seems metro Orlando has been warmer than Melbourne or even Vero - yet to hear from Ray, anyone? How is inland Tampa and Sarasota doing?

- dave

How can Tampa be at 34F at 7PM? Is that in a cold microclimate or sink hole or something? That doesn't seem correct.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

How can Tampa be at 34F at 7PM? Is that in a cold microclimate or sink hole or something? That doesn't seem correct.

It's correct. At the St. Pete/Clw airport, always warmer than Tampa, it's 36F. At my house, it was 38F about a half an hour ago.

What's strange is, I'm reading reports of snow flurries - ok, barely flurries - in Kendall, Naples, Pasco, Tampa and so on yesterday, and sleet reported all around. We had neither. fortunately. ugh.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It's correct. At the St. Pete/Clw airport, always warmer than Tampa, it's 36F. At my house, it was 38F about a half an hour ago.

What's strange is, I'm reading reports of snow flurries - ok, barely flurries - in Kendall, Naples, Pasco, Tampa and so on yesterday, and sleet reported all around. We had neither. fortunately. ugh.

So, is this an advective freeze situation or a radiation feeze situation or a combo of both?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Epi,

depends on who/what you belive, weather gurus /prognosticators forecasted 10-15 MPH winds with gusts to 20MPH tonight for here...

but the wind has completely DIED here, DEAD CALM so...... :lol:

taken from the NWS site...

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 27. Wind chill values as low as 20. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

check out my new sig!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

So I guess I am supposed to consider myself fortunate at 35 degrees at 7:00 pm..............this is really, really, really getting old. I'm at the point....if it lives it lives....if it dies it dies. Nothing more to do.

Have I ever told anyone that there is a new product on the market that taste alot like Crown Royal but is much less expensive.....it's called Forty Creek and its really pretty tasty with Sprite......I think I'll fix myself another and sit by the fire.....maybe I'll go hunting this week. The cold weather should be making the deer move, and I think the rut has started. When life gives you lemons (and they are about to freeze on the tree) make lemonade.

Alice since I am about 200 miles south of you very near water, and I am at 33.8F at the same time...yes consider yourself fortunate/lucky!!! :)

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

So I guess I am supposed to consider myself fortunate at 35 degrees at 7:00 pm..............this is really, really, really getting old. I'm at the point....if it lives it lives....if it dies it dies. Nothing more to do.

Have I ever told anyone that there is a new product on the market that taste alot like Crown Royal but is much less expensive.....it's called Forty Creek and its really pretty tasty with Sprite......I think I'll fix myself another and sit by the fire.....maybe I'll go hunting this week. The cold weather should be making the deer move, and I think the rut has started. When life gives you lemons (and they are about to freeze on the tree) make lemonade.

Tell me about it. Sitting at 33 here and heading to 23, third night in a row in the low 20s. I got a nice Merlot in hand. Just cleaned out another couple of seed incubators, so I can get more stuff growing. Hard to believe it is only 6 weeks (or less) till spring.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Holding at 38.3F here in WPasco...wind up from the East (???huh) 5-10mph at times. Never broke 40F AGAIN. This is the 3rd day this year we did not break 40F and twice ina row. That is a record for sure. While damage is extensive, my tree covered front is holding its own. The back is burnt, but it is open and last year it all came back quickly. Lets hope for a WARM WARM February...still 52F HIGHEST IN Florida today. What was the highest in Alaska? Comparative I am sure! Greg :badday:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

:)

post-97-1263172020_thumb.jpg

I know a place where it's easy to hunt iguanas. Don't know if they taste good or not.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

frozen puddles, frozen ditches, skated in my shoes on ice. is this florida o wisconsin? This sucks. I think my jakfruit, even thought protected is going to lose 50% of itself. I might lose 50% of myself after this winter.

Mount Gay rum seems to help.

no frost, though so that's something, I guess

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

I know a place where it's easy to hunt iguanas. Don't know if they taste good or not.

Don't know what they taste like, but I do know that they make a fine pair of boots.

Good Lord! I just looked again and it's 24.8* at 8:40!!! It's dropping like a rock and this is NOT looking good!

*** Just stepped out on the porch, completely calm, not a thing moving and clear skies! It feels like Alaska outside!***

Edited by JayW

Zone 9 Central Florida

Hey, I just got 1/2 a degree extry! That's something.

I could send it to someone else if you need it.

I did have some of that Mount Gay Rum, maybe more than I should, but it is warming me up.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

23.7* at 8:56 and falling like a rock!

Are you sure that temp sensor is outside, and not in your freezer. Even for what I have been through the last few days, that's scary.

23.7* at 8:56 and falling like a rock!

Are you sure that temp sensor is outside, and not in your freezer. Even for what I have been through the last few days, that's scary.

Unfortunately... it's outside! Last night at I had a reading of 28.8* at 8:20 pm. It's getting much colder, much faster than last night! It's now 23.5 at 9:00pm... It didn't fall this fast Thursday when we hit 19.6.

Zone 9 Central Florida