IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

at 26.3F,and serious FROST, I have some things that probably will not make it! Add the fact my forecast low for tonight is 28 to 30 depending on source?

22 ft Foxylady seriously burned even with additionial heat, 18 ft Foxtail also burned w/heat, surprisingly spindle looks pretty good with additional propane heat and fan, but time will tell.

No additional heat

other smaller foxtails fried

9-10 ft kentiopsis fried (was finally loooking pretty good from last winter)

2 large caryota mitis burned badly (last year hardly touched at a low of 28F)

20 ft Dypsis lutenscens fried

6 ft Carpentaria fried

hibiscus completely fried

you get the picture 26.3F and frost does not make for happy zone 10 palms and plants!!! :angry:

I'm sorry to hear of your damage Scott. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yet So Cal is having nice, pleasant temps. It looks as if we have switched climates!

Well, not really. We don't have the humidity. :winkie:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Update on NW Florida coast. Hibiscus fried, Majesty showing cold damage, cat palms showing cold damage, Plumerias showing melted leaves.......bizmarkias still holding up, as well as the queens. Of course still too early to tell on those. P. sylvestris, dacts, and canaries all laughing at the cold as well as W. robustas. Lady palms are showing signs of stress on some leaves. Pinapples are hanging in there. Mule is fine.

Supposed to get into the upper 20's again tonight, no wind, no clouds yet. 33 degrees at 8:30 p.m.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I think Ill be saying "Hello 20's" tomorrow morning!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Last night was about 9 hours at or below freezing, with a low of 29 F / -1.7 C at the nearby Vero Beach airport.

Late afternoon today, two Satakentia were showing signs of extensive leaf damage, enough to expect leaf death in a week or two. Ptychosperma elegans showing leaf damage.

Looking OK: Coccothrinax spp., Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, A. tuckeri, Dypsis plumosa, D. carlsmithii, D. decaryi, Thrinax radiata, and of course Acoelorraphe and Trachycarpus.

There will be begonia damage. Bromeliads probably did OK under blankets/frost cloth

As of now, airport's 32 F / 0 C at 9:53 pm, which evidently prompted the National Weather Service to lower its predicted low temperature to 25 / -4. Weather Underground is showing nearby temperature stations a degree or two warmer. The yard will probably look considerably worse tomorrow afternoon.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

At 10:00pm 31.3F and we have frost on the ground. :angry:

The damage is going to be severe.

Vero Beach, FL

Thanks for the excellent map summaries for ex-pats now living in exile, er, SoCal...

It's not so bad being an exile this week, is it?

Yep. Actually, LA weather this past week has been pretty close to typical FL winter days.

But out of respect for folks back east, I'm not putting my shorts on.

I'm supposed to fly to the Panhandle this weekend as soon as the weather warms...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Im sure all you Floridians could care less, but we made it above freezing for the second day in a row after a week of sub 32 daytime highs, and nighttime lows in the mid teens to low 20s. Today was the "warmest" day @ 39. It was almost slightly pleasant. 1-2" of snow is coming tomorrow evening with the Alberta clipper thats passing through, then for sat and sunday, the highs will be in the mid 20s, lows back down to low to mid teens. The Potomac river is mostly frozen over, which has not happend in about 10 years or so, and the Chesapeake Bay is beginning to freeze, and that has not completely frozen over since the winter of 77. Fortunately, about 7 days from now, its forecast to actually go above 40 for the first time in weeks! Normal high here this time of year is 43. Until then the best well manage during the day is barely above freezing starting monday or tuesday. YUK! I feel for all you down there. I hope everything comes through ok. Im planning on visiting St. Petersburg/ Tampa around the 21 of Jan, and im fully expecting to see lots of damage. My friend who lives in St. Pete is already reporting things are not doing so hot in his yard, and around town in general, but its not nearly as bad as the other (east) side of the bay down there.

Good luck!

At 115 AM I am at 38F and it seems to be holding for now. I am not sure but these past few days the temperature has dropped to 41F around 7pm and then just stays there. I have gone out and checked 3 thermometers so I know Im not getting a bad reading.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

We seem to be seeing the same pattern in Vero Beach. Much like last night, temperatures seem to have settled to near freezing and are sticking there. The National Weather Service changed their overnight forecast from 25 to 31. So tonight may be less of a problem than last night, if we don't have much frost.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

At 5:25 I'm just above 40!

Rock on and break out the shorts!!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Im sure all you Floridians could care less, but we made it above freezing for the second day in a row after a week of sub 32 daytime highs, and nighttime lows in the mid teens to low 20s. Today was the "warmest" day @ 39. It was almost slightly pleasant. 1-2" of snow is coming tomorrow evening with the Alberta clipper thats passing through, then for sat and sunday, the highs will be in the mid 20s, lows back down to low to mid teens. The Potomac river is mostly frozen over, which has not happend in about 10 years or so, and the Chesapeake Bay is beginning to freeze, and that has not completely frozen over since the winter of 77. Fortunately, about 7 days from now, its forecast to actually go above 40 for the first time in weeks! Normal high here this time of year is 43. Until then the best well manage during the day is barely above freezing starting monday or tuesday. YUK! I feel for all you down there. I hope everything comes through ok. Im planning on visiting St. Petersburg/ Tampa around the 21 of Jan, and im fully expecting to see lots of damage. My friend who lives in St. Pete is already reporting things are not doing so hot in his yard, and around town in general, but its not nearly as bad as the other (east) side of the bay down there.

Good luck!

The Chesapeake beginning to freeze???? That is bad!

Whew - those teens at night! I remember having to cope with that after moving back up to No. VA from St. Pete. It was during the infamous winter of 77-78, the two years my husband and I mistakenly thought we could live there. This winter is beginning to sound comparable to that. I'm glad you got a "warmup" but a shame there's more snow in store.

Yeah, your friend's yard is probably having some trouble, depending on what he has planted out. I hope our temps will be warmer when you get here, but this is one bad, bad winter - I wish you could have seen St. Pete during a more normal year, there are a lot of nice palms and crotons everywhere. There won't be, after this arctic blast.

This winter is strange - amazingly bad everywhere, can't believe the scenes from all over the country - even Europe.

Wish we could meet you when you visit St. Pete & maybe do a tour of Kopick Palm Arboretum. But I'll be just out of surgery. Anyway, if you have time, try to stop by Kopsick. It's really impressive and they ought to get thru this fine - they're in the warmest spot in St. Pete.

Larry in Tarpon said:

If not this morning, then by Saturday night. It's 35 at our place and holding. For Saturday night, though, they dropped the forecast low from 35 to 32, now it's 31. The trend is getting colder and will probably end up in the 20's. On Saturday evening, my house will look like a greenhouse.

For me, the saddest thing is that once this is over, there'll be far fewer palms and crotons in the area - and probably more pines, podocarpus, ligustrum and yaupons (zzzz)..... If I wanted to look at stuff like that every day, I'd be living in Georgia. :rage::rage::rage:

Edited by SunnyFl

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Larry in Tarpon said:

If not this morning, then by Saturday night. It's 35 at our place and holding. For Saturday night, though, they dropped the forecast low from 35 to 32, now it's 31. The trend is getting colder and will probably end up in the 20's. On Saturday evening, my house will look like a greenhouse.

I dont know what happened last night, but when I went to bed ~10PM, it was ~38F. I woke up this AM fully expecting a reading in the upper 20's as there was no wind at all last night and temps were dropping rapidly, but it was only ~35F. Of course, its only 645AM and we have another hour to hour and a half of time for temps to drop (many times the true low is reached after sunrise...I think this has something to do with air inversion?)

Larry 

37.6F at 7:15am. No frost this morning and just a tad warmer than yesterday. :D Yesterday had patchy light frost on roof of house and open spots on lawn. Breathing a sigh of relief.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Of course, its only 645AM and we have another hour to hour and a half of time for temps to drop (many times the true low is reached after sunrise...I think this has something to do with air inversion?)

Heres the usual routine........note the hard drop right around sunrise.....

post-200-1262865933_thumb.png

Larry 

37.6F at 7:15am. No frost this morning and just a tad warmer than yesterday. :D Yesterday had patchy light frost on roof of house and open spots on lawn. Breathing a sigh of relief.

Im shocked, considering the lack of air movement, dewpoint, and temperature, but the only frost I can see is on the roof of cars. I have a couple of driveway mirrors which are wet with dew, but not frost. I suppose this is becuase they do not face skyward (like the car roofs) and therefore do not drop appreciably below the air temperature.

Larry 

Lowest temp was about 32 last night. It is 36 right now, but there's frost again. I went over to my big coconut, and there is frost on the leaves again. It is supposed to heat up to 60F today, let's hope it does.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

It is supposed to heat up to 60F today, let's hope it does.

HEAT WAVE :mrlooney:

Larry 

Bottomed out at 38 last night... I'm ready to be done with the cold for good! :rant:

I agree, I can stand the 100 degree heat index days as long as the sweat gets flowing. Then it's not too bad, but the temps below 40 make it hard to do anything. You just want to stay inside and worry about your plants...

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

A low of 40 in West Boca.....but a balmy 48 in the "renda tent" B)

post-1035-1262870573_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

39.0 under the front awning at 7:45 - 30 minutes after sunrise. When I left for work thermometer had risen to 42. I just hope the sun really cooks the ground. The heater in the shadehouse kept temp at ~53 during the night. Now we get to face Monday night.

26 degrees at my house at 7 am - everything freeze damaged except caryota max. (himilayan)- news caster calling for sleet and snow flurries on Friday night?

Jim Beam, you keep leaving us out of your maps..........we are a part of Florida.....no really we are. :unsure:

Anyway, bad news from the Emerald Coast......frost this morning. This is the first frost we have had throughout this cold winter. Luckily the Bizmarkias and other smaller stuff got covered by sheets last night. All the queens are on their own. Need to go buy some Dactonil ? and get ready for some spear pulls. Sad times are ahead. Upper 20's again last night up here.

We need to start a living room jungle thread :huh:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

It was 31.6F at 5am, then hit 29.8F at 7am here in New Port Richey (open back yard) 31F in tree covered front. There is still ice in shallow pans as of 9am though the temp has risen above 40F. More days ahead with this crap! I'll enjoy today and tomorrow before more arctic air arrives :-(( Greg :badday::drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Whats up with that cold "vortex" over Gainesville. I'd be better off in South Georgia. Thanks for the Florida WU maps!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I like it Randy!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

30F was the low here, its already up to 45 at 10AM

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

37.9 on the back yard thermometer at 7:45 a.m. (compared to 31.9 yesterday morning). Hallelujah! Last night we were predicted to hit 33. At 10 p.m. it was already 41.4. Only thing I can think of (and thank) are the high clouds that were supposed to clear out during the night held on longer. Never thought I'd be so grateful for a low in the high 30s.

Today is supposed to cross over 60 (63!?) for the first time this year - a brief reprieve before the next cold blast this weekend. Lows Sat & Sun nights predicted to be near the deadly 32F. Pray for more clouds.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Jim Beam, you keep leaving us out of your maps..........we are a part of Florida.....no really we are. :unsure:

I will include it next time.

Brevard County, Fl

Good luck!

The Chesapeake beginning to freeze???? That is bad!

Whew - those teens at night! I remember having to cope with that after moving back up to No. VA from St. Pete. It was during the infamous winter of 77-78, the two years my husband and I mistakenly thought we could live there. This winter is beginning to sound comparable to that. I'm glad you got a "warmup" but a shame there's more snow in store.

Yeah, your friend's yard is probably having some trouble, depending on what he has planted out. I hope our temps will be warmer when you get here, but this is one bad, bad winter - I wish you could have seen St. Pete during a more normal year, there are a lot of nice palms and crotons everywhere. There won't be, after this arctic blast.

This winter is strange - amazingly bad everywhere, can't believe the scenes from all over the country - even Europe.

Wish we could meet you when you visit St. Pete & maybe do a tour of Kopick Palm Arboretum. But I'll be just out of surgery. Anyway, if you have time, try to stop by Kopsick. It's really impressive and they ought to get thru this fine - they're in the warmest spot in St. Pete.

Thank you! Yeah, I have lived in the DC area my whole life, and while I was a kid in 77 (im 38 now) I very vividly remember the winter of 77/78 when the whole Chesapeake froze over as far down as south of the Bay Bridge. That was just amazing to see. The Potomac is now pretty frozen over, just about shore to shore and almost down to the Woodrow Wilson bridge. ITs not flat ice either. Since its been windy it is very chopped up jagged looking ice, sort of like ice jam looking i guess. Its been YEARS, probably 12 or more since we have seen the Potomac freeze like that. There IS ice forming on the Chesapeake too, but its not bad yet, but it is there and is noticeable. Have not seen ice on the bay in probably 20 years or more, save for maybe just a small lining just on the shoreline.

I was just in St. Pete in September for 10 days, so I did get to see it before this cold snap. It had been since 1991 since I had been to Tampa/ St. Pete, and MAN does it ever look alot different and BETTER! I was blown away by all the stuff that just grows down there. Our houseplants here turn into trees down there! THere were many times I was just stunned to be driving or walking along, and I see a big tree, then when I got close saw it was a giant scheffelera or rubber tree(ficus)..etc.

Is Kopick the place that is right down town on the water, just north of the Pier? The first place my friend took me right after he picked me up from TPA was a "Palmetum" that was right on the water in downtown St. Pete, not too far from the pier, and the Vinoy...etc. Ahhh... coffee / breakfast at the Vinoy.... good stuff! I had a great time down there, save for the day I laned ( it was pouring until we hit St. Pete) it was mostly sunny and pretty darn warm back then. There are ALOT of places down there that I want to visit, and many that I did visit that I want to go back to. My tow favorites were the Sunken Garden / Crescent lake ( that banyan is HUGE!) and of all places, Caddys on the beach / Sunset beach on Treasure Island.

As far as my friends yard, well, hes got TONS of stuff that we have as houseplants up here. Philodendrons, Dracenas (BIG ONES), some parlor palms, LOTS of Plumeria, scheffalera, rubber plants.... and the list goes on. He is in "interior" St. Pete, almost dead center of the peninsula, at what is the very southern most block of "Pinellas Park".

Anyway, I hope everything comes thru ok down there! St. Pete/ Tampa is very likely to be my future home, for multitudes of reasons. Its a fantastic climate, AND, they have pro ICE HOCKEY!!!! the best of both worlds! haha! Its not a matter of "if" anymore, its now just a matter of "when" for me. 38 winters here is enough, even though many in the last 10 years or so have been VERY MILD up here.

Edited by DCA_Palm_Fan

That's a good looking tent. Did you make that yourself or did you buy it?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

So, for those of you that brought potted plants and palms into the house, do you get worried about little critters crawling around or are they really not found this time of year?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

ALERT THE MEDIA - IT HIT 52f in my yard! First temp over 50F since Sat...starngely, impatiens in the front are all fine w/ tree cover. Damage is everywhere but none too intense. Just superficial, but a lot of cutting back will come in the next few weeks. One more weekend of this crap! Greg :P

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast