IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wind Chill effects on tropicals

SunnyFl

Here is a question I haven't seen info on: is the effect of wind chill on cold-sensitive plants comparable to the effect of cold? For instance, if a palm fries at 30, and the temp is well above that but the wind chill is around 30, will the palm be just as damaged? What has been your experience?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Here is a question I haven't seen info on: is the effect of wind chill on cold-sensitive plants comparable to the effect of cold? For instance, if a palm fries at 30, and the temp is well above that but the wind chill is around 30, will the palm be just as damaged? What has been your experience?

The only reason wind chill effects humans is that it strips our bodies of heat that "sticks" to the body. This effect wouldn't happen on plants, so there wouldn't be a wind chill for plants. Wind also sometimes helps keep frost from forming.

The wind can be desiccating though, which can cause damage, so keep that in mind.

I guess you saw the wind chill advisory too?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Zeeth got it. No effect temperature wise, but the dessicating effect of the wind is another matter.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The only reason wind chill effects humans is that it strips our bodies of heat that "sticks" to the body. This effect wouldn't happen on plants, so there wouldn't be a wind chill for plants. Wind also sometimes helps keep frost from forming.

The wind can be desiccating though, which can cause damage, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for posting that - I never thought of the heat "sticking" to the body, but it makes a lot of sense. And the reminder about how drying the wind can be. Do either of you cover your plants for wind chill in the absence of a freeze?

Yup - posted part of it in the December wx thread. We're bringing in our favorite crotons and the baby palmies. C. renda will be spending the night indoors as well.

The forecast temps wouldn't kill the crotons, but it's really bad for them. A lot of us crotonheads lost quite a number of our plants last year - not to freezing temps - but just because of the protracted chill.

Edited by SunnyFl

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Thanks for posting that - I never thought of the heat "sticking" to the body, but it makes a lot of sense. And the reminder about how drying the wind can be. Do either of you cover your plants for wind chill in the absence of a freeze?

Yup - posted part of it in the December wx thread. We're bringing in our favorite crotons and the baby palmies. C. renda will be spending the night indoors as well.

The forecast temps wouldn't kill the crotons, but it's really bad for them. A lot of us crotonheads lost quite a number of our plants last year - not to freezing temps - but just because of the protracted chill.

I too brought a number of things in. I've vowed to myself that I will bring all my coconuts into the garage if temps go below 40F. They would be fine here outdoors year round, but I don't want to take ANY chances with setbacks. Also my hurricane palms, Pritchardia pacifica, all my Veitchias and a number of Carpentarias all went in. Tuesday afternoon will be warm, but Wednesday should have some really good temps, So at least the cold won't last long.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I too brought a number of things in. I've vowed to myself that I will bring all my coconuts into the garage if temps go below 40F. They would be fine here outdoors year round, but I don't want to take ANY chances with setbacks. Also my hurricane palms, Pritchardia pacifica, all my Veitchias and a number of Carpentarias all went in. Tuesday afternoon will be warm, but Wednesday should have some really good temps, So at least the cold won't last long.

Let em ride zeethy boy!

LOL

I can LOL as if you search my posts from years back, I was constantly looking at ways to protect palms/plants, etc. I had "palm socks", frost cloth galore, tarps, and even a fleet of propane fired forced air heaters! Talk about a major cold protection nut! I learned most of everything from our resident expert Walt from Lake Placid. Then, after that got old and I realized that if something cant take my environment, its better off not being there anyway ( as eventually everything gets too big to protect). So, they all ride the train now :mrlooney:

Either that, or I am just lazy now. Take your pic.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Let em ride zeethy boy!

LOL

I can LOL as if you search my posts from years back, I was constantly looking at ways to protect palms/plants, etc. I had "palm socks", frost cloth galore, tarps, and even a fleet of propane fired forced air heaters! Talk about a major cold protection nut! I learned most of everything from our resident expert Walt from Lake Placid. Then, after that got old and I realized that if something cant take my environment, its better off not being there anyway ( as eventually everything gets too big to protect). So, they all ride the train now :mrlooney:

I went the same path. Spent way to many nights of my life, outside freezing my rear off in the rain, protecting or checking on protection. No more temp alarms going off in the middle of the night. I sleep well nowadays, cause it will make it on its on, or not. My plants are on their own.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Let em ride zeethy boy!

LOL

I went the same path. Spent way to many nights of my life, outside freezing my rear off in the rain, protecting or checking on protection. No more temp alarms going off in the middle of the night. I sleep well nowadays, cause it will make it on its on, or not. My plants are on their own.

When they get big enough, that's about all you can do anyway.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter