IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pelagodoxa henryana

quaman58

I just picked one up last Christmas in Townsville. Growing well so far.... Now, if only I have enough shade to plant it out....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Central Florida your picture looks like maybe Hydriastele beguinii, which is not a lover of the cold either.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Peter Pacific,

Thanks for your comment! Encouraged me to venture away from the computer and take an updated photo of some of our Pelagodoxas. :)

Bo-Göran

post-22-1245380696_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo - thanks for the updated photo. Those palms are spectacular :drool:

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Everyone on this thread,

I don't have the long history on palm talk that a lot of you have so it is really neat to go through some of these old threads.

Some random thoughts:

1) Pely's are absolutely top 5 in beauty when they are 100 % protected like Fairchild's was. Those full un-divided leaves are gorgeous.

2) Bo- there is little doubt that in your palm paradise, EVERYTHING grows faster.......

3) They transplant well. I have had mine for about 5 years now, maybe a little more. One of my original buys when I got the bug. And I transplanted after a few years in the original spot and it showed no signs of slowing down at all.

4) FINALLY- I almost and may still have lost my Pely. The cold this past winter in Miami was one of the worst in about 3-5 years. Here are pictures of what she looks like now. I have hope she might pull through this there is a new little spear poking out.

Thoughts ??????

post-1905-1245499699_thumb.jpg post-1905-1245499761_thumb.jpg

Manny

Everyone on this thread,

I don't have the long history on palm talk that a lot of you have so it is really neat to go through some of these old threads.

Some random thoughts:

1) Pely's are absolutely top 5 in beauty when they are 100 % protected like Fairchild's was. Those full un-divided leaves are gorgeous.

2) Bo- there is little doubt that in your palm paradise, EVERYTHING grows faster.......

3) They transplant well. I have had mine for about 5 years now, maybe a little more. One of my original buys when I got the bug. And I transplanted after a few years in the original spot and it showed no signs of slowing down at all.

4) FINALLY- I almost and may still have lost my Pely. The cold this past winter in Miami was one of the worst in about 3-5 years. Here are pictures of what she looks like now. I have hope she might pull through this there is a new little spear poking out.

Thoughts ??????

aloha from the Big Island!

I nearly lost my Pelagodoxa last year when something ate the apical bud. I do not know what it was, the leaves were eaten and the new leaf was deformed. I treated it with everything I could and a new bud appeared and now one year later it looks great. I am surprised how well it came back, several of my friends that grow this here have also expressed to me that Pelagodoxa is not hard to grow. Good luck and from you photos it looks like your palm will be fine.

Don

post-1905-1245499699_thumb.jpg post-1905-1245499761_thumb.jpg

Manny

Donald Sanders

There a few seeding Pelagodoxa palms in the Hilo, HI, area which are in beautiful condition, but mostly on private properties which have passed on from the original palm enthusiasts to whomever purchased them later on. I have one plant from seed collected at Foster Botanic Garden in Honolulu many years ago. (I hope I don't get into trouble with the park officials for revealing this!) I can say this -- they do not like root competition. I have my one easily germinated one in the ground about 20 feet from a large ficus tree, and in the otherwise perfect location lightwise and temperaturewise, it has put out maybe one or two leaves per year. Nice to have, but not one of my really exciting palms in these conditions!

garrin in hawaii

Thank you for your input. This is a palm that should be grown by my more enthusiats who can accomidate their cultrural requirements.

Ron. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 9 years later...

I live in Golden Beach, FL about 750 feet from the Atlantic Ocean in growing Zone 10B-11. Does anyone know if the peladogoxa henryana grows well in extreme Southeast Florida. How much light exposure does it like? Do you know of any nurseries in South Florida that keep this beautiful palm in stock. By Gregg L. Friedman MD, Golden Beach, Florida

Paul Craft posted some pics a few years ago of his seeding Pelagodoxa in the ground in Loxahatchee so you should not have a problem.

i have one in the ground and one in pool cage here in Hollywood. Both are in partial sun. I did see a nice one being carried out at Jeff Searle,s sale..he probably has more.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

• 1 year later...

I fell in love with this palm when I first saw the large specimen growing in the greenhouse at Fairchild Tropical gardens, in Miami, several years ago. I recently visited Fairchild Gardens again, and the Pelagodoxa henryana is gone. I am not sure if it died? Nobody there was able to tell me. I saw several nice Pelagodoxa henryana north of Hilo at Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens. I have one growing outdoors in Golden Beach, FL which is zone 10B-11. It has survived temperatures down to 41 degrees F without and significant damage. By Gregg L. Friedman MD

I had one of these growing in my garden in Coconut Grove Florida for well over 10 years.  Had no damage during the cold winters of 2010 and 2011.  It was probably 8 feet tall with a trunk of about 4 feet.

I am now heartbroken that I lost it this summer.  Not sure what caused it to decline but it started to show yellow leaves and then loose leaves.  Eventually it stopped growing and finally I was able to pull out the spear.

Needless to say I am starting over with a 3 ft juvenile.

I went hunting for a photo.  Best I could find is this one.  The palm is at the far end of the pool right in the middle.  It has a small spindle palm growing in front of it.IMG_1158.thumb.jpg.f0b3bbb58026a41c8ef3eb11a965fc88.jpg

• Like 1