IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Shot of Arctic Air for California

happ

Heads up:

A cold airmass is poised to descend into Califoria tomorrow following a weak storm. Most of the coldest air will be over Nevada but strong north winds should occur across the state. Wind gusts up to 60mph are forecast for the mts w/ less wind for the lowlands. When the wind dies down the temp will also drop so frost is a real possiblity in the usual windless low basins.

NWS is predicting the following minimum temps for mid-late week:

Los Angeles: 41F

Pasadena: 42F

Woodland Hills: 36F

Anaheim: 38F

San Diego: 43F

Temecula: 33F

El Cajon: 34F

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Thanks for the information, Happ.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Very windy morning. The jet stream is right over California ushering in cold north winds that could easily exceed 30-40mph gusts. Wind damage is often worse the cold damage. The cold air should hang around for at least a few mornings. NWS is now predicting 39F\ 3.8C downtown [that would be the coldest minimum this year] & 40F\ 4.4C in Pasadena. I already recorded 39F earlier this month so another round of cold nights will leave their mark [yellowing :o

Inland areas like Riverside\ San Bernardino\ Temecula are forecast to observe near freezing temps for several nights this week. Good luck. Maybe rain right after Christmas :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Very windy this morning, but nothing like a couple of weeks ago. No trees damaged or blown over. Let's see how cold it gets tomorrow morning. :unsure:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I show 42F, 41F, 40F for the next 3 nights from the NWS. Surprises me that downtown LA will be 39F since they have that whole heat island effect going for them.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I show 42F, 41F, 40F for the next 3 nights from the NWS. Surprises me that downtown LA will be 39F since they have that whole heat island effect going for them.

The NWS often follow MOS guidance that doesn't factor in urban heat but none-the-less this could be a colder event than the last arctic blast earlier this month. Looks like bayside San Diego & foothill towns [Fallbrook] will stay well above 40F. I'm surprised veitchia arecina are holding up so well thus far! How are your montgomery palms looking, epicure?

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Not especially cold here (so far), but lots of wind whipping up whitecaps on a Homeric wine dark sea. In contrast, last night the ocean surface was as still as purple glass, but with big waves sliding toward shore at well-spaced intervals, coming from the orange-red clouds on the horizon at sunset, quite a sight.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Today is a beautiful sunny day in N. Calif. It is the ideal winter day. It's about 60F, with low humidity, but I don't need a weather forcaster to tell me that it is going to freeze tonight. How much, I don't know. They say 30F but I expect lower. I don't sweat it until it gets below 25F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

So far so good! Wind has kept the temps higher than forecast w/ some areas only 50F\ 10C @ 6AM. A review of local readings before sunrise:

San Diego: 46F

Pt. Loma: 45F

La Mesa: 41F

Del Mar: 43F

Oceanside: 32F

Fallbrook: 39F

Temecula: 33F

Riverside: 50F

Palm Springs: 43F

Chino: 35F

Dana Pt.: 47F

Santa Ana: 39F

Altadena: 50F

Los Angeles: 50F

LAX: 51F

Burbank: 46F

Granada Hills: 41F

Northern California:

San Francisco 45F

San Jose 42F

Livermore: 37F

Modesto: 38F

The wind should not be an issue tonight & with the cold airmass still in place it could easily be colder Thursday morning. :unsure:

How'd you do this morning, Dick?

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'll split the difference between my 2 temp. probes and say 36F, but there is going to be a white frost. Clear sky, no wind here. Lows are forcast to be in the low to mid 30's the rest of the week. Highs in the upper 50's to 60. It could be worse.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I agree, Dick, especially considering the fact that we are historically in the coldest time of the year in California [dec 20-Jan 20]. Should stay clear & seasonably cold into Christmas. Colder than normal overnights but not too cold. NWS is calling for a freeze warning for the San Joaquin valley when winds are calm tonight. Next week's storm isn't too impressive on satellite so far but another system by New Year's eve could be a big rain-maker.

Lo: 44F\ 6.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This morning there is a car parked about 6 feet away from my largest Parajubaea TVT. The car is covered with frost on the windshield and the top. The palm only has dew, not frost on the fronds. Go figure.

Dick

Richard Douglas

38.5F out in the open

40.1 under canopy

This matches my ultimate low's from the last two winters. No frost seen driving around this morning.

Bottle palms holding 2 nice fronds still, the other 4 are all thrashed and spotted heavily.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The NWS often follow MOS guidance that doesn't factor in urban heat but none-the-less this could be a colder event than the last arctic blast earlier this month. Looks like bayside San Diego & foothill towns [Fallbrook] will stay well above 40F. I'm surprised veitchia arecina are holding up so well thus far! How are your montgomery palms looking, epicure?

3 of them lost a frond each in the huge wind storm we had a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, they seem to be doing pretty well. I have one that started to flower a couple of months ago but the heat didn't keep up so I doubt I'll see any seed this go around. Got down to 40F last night.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

38.5F out in the open

40.1 under canopy

This matches my ultimate low's from the last two winters. No frost seen driving around this morning.

Bottle palms holding 2 nice fronds still, the other 4 are all thrashed and spotted heavily.

Holding 6 fronds is still pretty good. Mine throw out new fronds pretty quickly in the summer. I suspect that you will have the same experience since you are warmer.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Yeah, in Summer it's great. That's why I'm willing to watch it get trashed in Winter. They only hold 3-6 fronds in the tropics, so I'm happy with the way it's performing.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Am I off-base or didn't we have something similar in 2007 in SoCal?? I guess it really is about 5 F. warmer in most locales vs. '07.

We, down these parts of So Fla. fared great, with nights at 11 C., 12 C., and 12 C. Now that winds shifted to the SE then south, lows will only be about 19-22 C. We like that (as does the non-protected Artocarpus altilis, and Cyrtostachys renda!)

Looks like we're in our 60-90 day "freeze alerts!" Hopefully, we'll "win" this year! We're kind of due to get a year when the foliage isn't all tattered as we get to April; we'll see how things unfold!

Dr. Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Am I off-base or didn't we have something similar in 2007 in SoCal?? I guess it really is about 5 F. warmer in most locales vs. '07.

We, down these parts of So Fla. fared great, with nights at 11 C., 12 C., and 12 C. Now that winds shifted to the SE then south, lows will only be about 19-22 C. We like that (as does the non-protected Artocarpus altilis, and Cyrtostachys renda!)

Looks like we're in our 60-90 day "freeze alerts!" Hopefully, we'll "win" this year! We're kind of due to get a year when the foliage isn't all tattered as we get to April; we'll see how things unfold!

Dr. Paul

10 degrees colder in '07 along the coast anyway.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Dr. Paul

Paul

I wish all we had to worry about is an occasional minimum below 60F like in Miami B) Average minimums here are in the 40's up until at least February [and coastal SoCal is the warmest region of California in winter]. It always seem tragic to me that Florida rarely experiences a cold winter night but one frost can erase all gains in palm growth. In California we always get yellowing or more serious injury to USDA 10 palms. I consider myself lucky that heliconia\ banana\ brugmansia do so well each winter. I can drive less than one mile & see occasional frost at the bottom of the hill. That is how fragile the winter season is in California. The really cold air is only a matter of a few hundred feet away! :(

Winter in Miami is like Santa Monica in summer [except for the occasional arctic invasion].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dr. Paul

Paul

I wish all we had to worry about is an occasional minimum below 60F like in Miami B) Average minimums here are in the 40's up until at least February [and coastal SoCal is the warmest region of California in winter]. It always seem tragic to me that Florida rarely experiences a cold winter night but one frost can erase all gains in palm growth. In California we always get yellowing or more serious injury to USDA 10 palms. I consider myself lucky that heliconia\ banana\ brugmansia do so well each winter. I can drive less than one mile & see occasional frost at the bottom of the hill. That is how fragile the winter season is in California. The really cold air is only a matter of a few hundred feet away! :(

Winter in Miami is like Santa Monica in summer [except for the occasional arctic invasion].

Thanks, Happ! You clarified the "picture" for me! You've right, if So Fla. DOES get a "rare" frost/freeze, it sets back three years, or so of growth. We haven't had a night below 39 F. in four or five years. Like tonight, the lows will barely touch either side of 70 F. Reason: winds are off the 76 F. ocean water. Things are greener than I've ever seen them this late into DEcemver. We haven't gone below 53 F. in my neighborhood. I hope it stays that way for another five weeks, then we're pretty much "home free."

Merry Christmas, Chuck!

Paul

Dr. Paul

Paul

Thanks, Happ! You clarified the "picture" for me! You've right, if So Fla. DOES get a "rare" frost/freeze, it sets back three years, or so of growth. We haven't had a night below 39 F. in four or five years. Like tonight, the lows will barely touch either side of 70 F. Reason: winds are off the 76 F. ocean water. Things are greener than I've ever seen them this late into DEcemver. We haven't gone below 53 F. in my neighborhood. I hope it stays that way for another five weeks, then we're pretty much "home free."

Merry Christmas, Chuck!

Paul

My visits to Miami have always included delightfully warm winter days. Near 80F w/ upper 60's nights & 70's ocean temp. Like Laguna Beach during a warm summer! :lol: Paradise!

Winter has a different complexion at 32-34N latitude. Mild & sometimes surprisingly warm days but night temps routinely in the 40's [except maybe 50F\ 10C in foothills]. Long chilly nights create a hibernation & always spotting\ yellowing [very slow growth]. I took this photo of my cuban royal yesterday. There are less fronds then what a comparable R. regia would have in Florida.

016.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dr. Paul

Paul

Merry Christmas, Chuck!

Paul

My visits to Miami have always included delightfully warm winter days. Near 80F w/ upper 60's nights & 70's ocean temp. Like Laguna Beach during a warm summer! :lol: Paradise!

Winter has a different complexion at 32-34N latitude. Mild & sometimes surprisingly warm days but night temps routinely in the 40's [except maybe 50F\ 10C in foothills]. Long chilly nights create a hibernation & always spotting\ yellowing [very slow growth]. I took this photo of my cuban royal yesterday. There are less fronds then what a comparable R. regia would have in Florida.

016.jpg

Now, I understand the climatological differences between the two regions better! Thanks, Happ!

Pablo