IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HIPS garden tour 20 Dec 2009

bgl

Pinanga bicolana. A little fading in the pic, must have gotten water in the camera. Oh well, this is East Hawaii.

post-1300-1261462592_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This palm wasn't labeled but it looks to be in the Dypsis prestoniana complex. Someone else surely knows more than I do about

this one. Beauty though, and I hope my two small ones grow up to look like this.

post-1300-1261462841_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This clump of Dypsis scottiana was really sweet. Some guy walked into the photo. :lol:

post-1300-1261463436_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

No label on this palm either, but it was a, 'I want one really bad', moment.

We talked about it but I don't remember what the experts said. Maybe Bo can remember. Check it out.

post-1300-1261463830_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I'd never been too enamored with Dypsis baronii before until I saw this one. What a stunner and the crownshafts were this beautiful pale orange color. Wow.

post-1300-1261464207_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Dypsis mananjarensis. This was one big mutha. I don't know why everybody looks so cold, it was really rather warm. Maybe it

was just the palm shivers.

post-1300-1261464385_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's Bob and Mike oogling this Hydriastele beguinii. Just one stunner after another.

post-1300-1261464766_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I had to throw this in. We were given permission to collect any seed that was ripe soooo......my rain jacket was so heavy I thought I

was going to blow the pockets out. Now to remember what they all are and to live long enough.

Tim

post-1300-1261465612_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, thanks for the additional photos...I knew you had some good ones!

Post #43 - not in the "prestoniana complex". Looks like Dypsis lanceolata

Post #46 - yeah, I have no idea who that guy is...people are just plain rude! :lol: And lots of discussion about that palm. General concensus: not Dypsis scottiana. Who knows what it is. Well, other than Dypsis! :)

Post #47 - Hydriastele (formerly Siphokentia) beguinii

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo- (and others)

What do you think the Palm in #44 and #45 is? It actually doesn't look like a dypsis to me. It looks too "hairy" for being that large. Beccariophoenix? Voaniola?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I asked Terry about weed control. Surprisingly, his answer indicated to me that it isn't as big a problem as one might imagine. Reason being that the weeds have already, many years before, been eliminated. Therefore, for a weed to get started, the seed has to blow in with the wind and then establish itself in the black cinder. (If it does, it is in heaven, because the black cinder is a very fertile growing media - witness the palms.) Terry does occasionally use some roundup and has developed some special tools for attacking the weeds that do occasionally appear.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Bill,

I'm fairly certain that's a palm that I also have, presumably acquired more or less at the same time, 12-13 years ago. When John Dransfield was here in July 2008 he indicated that he thinks it's Dypsis perrieri. I believe Terry mentioned that JD had indeed confirmed that ID when he visited the Sullivan garden at that same time (based on flowers). Now I just need to confirm that the palm in the photo above is indeed that same palm, but it certainly looks like it.

Bo-Göran

PS to Bill - well, if you were here...hint, hint! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Fantastic pics Bo. It almost does not seem real w/ the jet black background of the pumice ash. I have to ask, with all the leaves falling to the ground, how do they keep the black pumice soil so clean looking. I would expect a large amount of leave debris to show up against the black background. I noticed this at your garden also. Do you blow the old leaf particles away? Does it break down rapidly? BTW, I am use to white sand soil back drops.

Mike,

BIG difference between our garden and the Sullivan garden. First of all, I have planted (for the most part) MUCH closer, and secondly, we also have hundreds of Ohi'a trees that tend to drop their little leaves continuously, so there's much more of a need for continuous clean-up at our place. In the Sullivan garden, they primarily need to haul away the palm fronds, which is a big job in itself, but palm fronds are much larger than Ohi'a leaves and easier to deal with, and thus easier to maintain a cleaner look. Even so, the very clean look at the Sullivan garden obviously requires non-stop maintenance, but the black cinder does make it easier.

Bo-Göran

Mahalo to all for sharing the great photos – I was busily packing my camera and other stuff into the car on Sunday morning when the big storm hit us with a vengeance. As we worked to lash down the yard items and fish our lawn furniture out of the swimming pool I realized our planned Saddle Road trek from North Kona over to Kapoho was not advisable. Being able to view the Sullivan palm garden tour photos and comments on PalmTalk is the next best thing to being there!

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

PS to Bill - well, if you were here...hint, hint! :)

Just in case you know anyone who wants a turn key vacation home in Florida! ;)

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-...3483_1114714636

Has April seen your agent? :drool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for the pics everyone, never ever get tired of looking at the Sullivan place. This garden has been one of my big influences actually.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.