IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Texas Damage report

iamjv

Livistona's are the palms displaying the most damage at present... australis (1) 100% fried, saribus (1) 100% fried, nitida (1) 50% fried, chinesis (many) 75% fried, chinXsaribus (1) 75% fried; decora is the only livistona not showing any damage at this time.

Sago's continue to show more and more damage, have some (more exposed) that will probably reach 100% burn.

Phx CIDP starting to reflect additional damage, estimate upwards of 50% burn rate.

Washingtonias anywhere from 30% - 70% depending on how much robusta and size it has.

Sabal unknown (minor look alike) is now nearly 80% fried.

Sabal uresana showing 20% burn.

Jv

Is that a true CIDP...mine doesn't have anywhere near 50%. 10, 20% at MOST. The only thing it has done is get thinner fronds, no real browning at all.

W. Filifera NO damage

Small W. Robusta - Fried 80-90% damage

Large Robusta 30% damage, but looks decent still.

Queen - lower half of center spear still green, otherwise fried. 90% damage, but recoverable. Appears it will recover if no further severe cold.

Butia Capitata no damage

Edited by syersj

Perry, thanks for your concern.... I am hopeful that most palms will survive and with time will look good once again. I do plan on taking some additional photos as the damage becomes all the more apparent.

Jim, 95% sure it was a pure CIDP. Certainly had the appearance of one. It has never been damaged like this before and we went down to 17F in 2002 with zero damage... I believe it was damaged this year in part to the early hard freeze we had in December which has weakened the palm and as such has endured additional damage.

As an aside note - I confirmed today that a city "heat-island effect' truly exists.... drove through downtown San Antonio today on my way to an appointment and there were pure washingtonia robustas that looked untouched by these two hard freezes. When time allows, I'll drive to various parts of town and document via photos any damage (or lack there of) seen.

Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I've seen some queens that look like they will recover fine. Which is pretty amazing, since it got down to at least 16F. The queen is the least hardy palm I have, and it appears that it will recover ok. Center spear is green like I said (partially due to the lights I put around it). Does not appear to be in danger of dying. I have a pretty big robusta with decent CT, and it doesn't have that much damage. All the seedlings I had left in pots deteriorated fast though. Robusta seedlings croaked, filifera seedlings look somewhat sad. My big filifera looks as if there never was a cold snap, looks great. Guess I should have planted a yard full of them.

Yeah the Wash. Filifera's, Sabal Mexicana, Minor and Palmettos and the Phoenix Dactys around town all look good, showing no damage. If you planted these along with some Trachycarpus (Fortunei, wagnerianus, and takil), Chamerhops plus some of the Butia hybrids you could have a very tropical looking yard that would be hardy for anything our winters could throw at them. Ironically enough there is a chance I might move this year and if I do, I'll create such a garden, to minimize the palm damage in any future artic blasts. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Yeah the Wash. Filifera's, Sabal Mexicana, Minor and Palmettos and the Phoenix Dactys around town all look good, showing no damage. If you planted these along with some Trachycarpus (Fortunei, wagnerianus, and takil), Chamerhops plus some of the Butia hybrids you could have a very tropical looking yard that would be hardy for anything our winters could throw at them. Ironically enough there is a chance I might move this year and if I do, I'll create such a garden, to minimize the palm damage in any future artic blasts. Jv

I started that a couple of years ago, and sure am glad that I did. My CIDP, Mules, Jubutia, Butia, and Trachys look great. My 'filibusta' look to be a big disappointment, but they were all very young, under 3 years. Too much humidity down here for pure 'filifera', so I had great hopes for the 'filibusta.'

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

If I had to do it over, I would have planted a Butia X Syagrus instead or a straight queen. If it croaks, I will replace it with one. Because you know it's inevitible there will be another freeze like this, if not worse.

I started that a couple of years ago, and sure am glad that I did. My CIDP, Mules, Jubutia, Butia, and Trachys look great. My 'filibusta' look to be a big disappointment, but they were all very young, under 3 years. Too much humidity down here for pure 'filifera', so I had great hopes for the 'filibusta.'

How cold did you get?

How cold did you get?

Within a degree or so, it went something like 26,26,3?, 22, 21,19, and now we have had 3 nights upper 20 with the most incredible frost I have ever seen.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith keep us posted if you see any damage at all.... I got home last night before the sun went down and continue to be amazed at the damage I am enduring! I am going to wait another week or so to update pics but like I stated above, nearly all the livistonas are fried and my CIDP is showing excessive damage for some reason. Come on spring.... Jv

I have been out of town for the last week and what a surprise to come back to... a lot more damage can be seen now. W.Robustas are now 100% fried, many sagos also show 100% damage if they had no overhead protection. My CIDP continues to show more damage. Hope to get some photos taken today to update this thread. Jv

Alright everyone, this maybe a silly question but do we change out watering cycle for these palms after this big freeze. Typical texas weather, we went from 15F to now about 10 days of 60-70F days and 40-50 nights. My small 3 year old filifera is starting to look really bad now, and one of my pindos took some damage, while the younger pindo shows no signs of damage

Here are a couple of pics of the continuing damage from the two hard freezes we've had in San Antonio....

- first pic is of Livistona Saribus (100% burned) which had some overhead protection from oak trees

- second pic is of that mystery Sabal palm (80% burned) that looks like minor but is cold sensitive

- third pic is of Livistona Australius (100% burned) with a Phoenix Sylvestris (50% burned), do note the BxJ hybrid in the background (0% damage)

post-362-1264078099_thumb.jpg

post-362-1264078125_thumb.jpg

post-362-1264078151_thumb.jpg

Two other pics from the yard...

- first pic shows 50% damage to my biggest Phoenix Sylvestris & 100% burn on the Wash. Robusta next to it

- second pic shows 90% damage to my Livistona Chinensis

post-362-1264078409_thumb.jpg

post-362-1264078432_thumb.jpg

Well here is an update... it's been a couple of weeks since the last hard freeze (16F) and several weeks since the first hard freeze (21F), so I am confident that I am seeing most of the damage. No doubt there is a chance that some additional damage may show up as we go into spring but for now this will provide a decent assessment of the damage that occurred from these two freezes. Jv

UNDAMAGED:

Brahea armata;

Butia capitata (silver form);

Butia capitata x Jubaea (in ground and potted);

Butia capitata x Parajubaea coccoides;

Butia capitata x Syagrus;

Butia yatay (3 gal pot);

Chamaedorea microspadix (next to house);

Chamaerops humilis;

Chamaerops humilis var Cerifera;

Jubaea x Butia x Jubaea (3 gal pot);

Jubaea chilensis (5 gal pot);

Nannorhops ritchiana (seedling);

Rhapidophyllum hystrix;

Sabal bermudana (sold as bermudana but could be domingensis/guatamalensis);

Sabal causiarum (seedling);

Sabal causiarum x palmetto (seedlings);

Sabal mexicana;

Sabal minor;

Sabal minor var Tamaulipas;

Sabal palmetto;

Sabal riverside;

Sabal xtexensis;

Sabal uresana;

Serenoa repens;

Trachycarpus fortunei;

Trachycarpus takil;

Trachycarpus wagnerianus;

Trithrinax acanthicoma;

Trithrinax campestris;

MODERATELY BURNED (50-80%) :

Cycad revoluta;

Livistona decipiens/decora;

Phoenix dactylifera;

Phoenix dactylifera x canariensis;

Phoenix theophrastii;

Washingtonia filibusta;

SEVERLY BURNED (80-100%):

Livistona australis;

Livistona chinensis;

Livistona chinesis x saribus:

Livistona saribus;

Phoenix canariensis;

Phoenix sylvestris;

Phoenix roebelenii x canariensis;

Phoenix rupicola x canarienis

Phoenix rupicola x reclinata

Rhapis excelsa;

Sabal Unknown (S. minor characteristics less hardiness-maybe etonia);

Syagrus romanzoffiana;

Trachycarpus martianus;

Washingtonia robusta.

• Upvote 3

JV,

I've been waiting to hear about the Cocoid hybrids. Sounds like good news. Were they protected at all?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Thanks for the reports TX folks.

our airport officially hit 14 as a low on 2/11/10. I figure my meter was upper teens somewhere in the 18 degree range.

Queens and P. Sylvestris took it hard 80- 100% defoliation, where Chinese fans aand Chamaedorea microspadix and radicalis are fine. the microspadix show like 10% damage max. radicalis untouched.

Washingtonia 'bonsais' are nearly defoliated but are carmel/green and not crispy black.

good to hear about the cocoid hybrids JV!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

No protection provided however the cocoid palms were closer to the house and/or trees, so they weren't in the open. BxS was out in the open as was BxJ. Temperature readings were the same near the house as out in the open yard, obviously a bit more frost in the open yard.

Jv

Well here is an update... it's been a couple of weeks since the last hard freeze (16F) and several weeks since the first hard freeze (21F), so I am confident that I am seeing most of the damage. No doubt there is a chance that some additional damage may show up as we go into spring but for now this will provide a decent assessment of the damage that occurred from these two freezes. Jv

UNDAMAGED:

Brahea armata;

Butia capitata (silver form);

Butia capitata x Jubaea (in ground and potted);

Butia capitata x Parajubaea coccoides;

Butia capitata x Syagrus;

Butia yatay (3 gal pot);

Chamaedorea microspadix (next to house);

Chamaerops humilis;

Chamaerops humilis var Cerifera;

Jubaea x Butia x Jubaea (3 gal pot);

Jubaea chilensis (5 gal pot);

Nannorhops ritchiana (seedling);

Rhapidophyllum hystrix;

Sabal bermudana (sold as bermudana but could be domingensis/guatamalensis);

Sabal causiarum (seedling);

Sabal causiarum x palmetto (seedlings);

Sabal mexicana;

Sabal minor;

Sabal minor var Tamaulipas;

Sabal palmetto;

Sabal riverside;

Sabal xtexensis;

Sabal uresana;

Serenoa repens;

Trachycarpus fortunei;

Trachycarpus takil;

Trachycarpus wagnerianus;

Trithrinax acanthicoma;

Trithrinax campestris;

MODERATELY BURNED (50-80%) :

Cycad revoluta;

Livistona decipiens/decora;

Phoenix dactylifera;

Phoenix dactylifera x canariensis;

Phoenix theophrastii;

Washingtonia filibusta;

SEVERLY BURNED (80-100%):

Livistona australis;

Livistona chinensis;

Livistona chinesis x saribus:

Livistona saribus;

Phoenix canariensis;

Phoenix sylvestris;

Phoenix roebelenii x canariensis;

Phoenix rupicola x canarienis

Phoenix rupicola x reclinata

Rhapis excelsa;

Sabal Unknown (S. minor characteristics less hardiness-maybe etonia);

Syagrus romanzoffiana;

Trachycarpus martianus;

Washingtonia robusta.

Have to agree with your assesment. The last week damage has really shown up. My CIDP went from hardly any damage to seriously burned in just a few days. All the Robustas completely defoliated now. It took a full 2 weeks for all the damage to show up. Things look ugly around here right now. Come on spring.

JV,

You and I had discussed in an earlier thread that sooner or later there would be a cold test. I'm sorry it had to be this winter, but you guys are supplying some very valueable information. I think you guys have just about every hardy palm under the sun and great collections. This thread should be required reading for anyone that lives in a chalangable climate. Thanks again for your reports.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick, I wanted to let you know that all my hybrids from Patrik never missed a beat 13 days below freezing for up to 10hr periods low around 21˚fin Pensacol. I planted most straight in the ground as seedling, witch he didn't advise me to. Never the less I took the chance and have been rewarded with exceptional growth. My collection varies from seedlings up to 5gal ,most are 1 to 3gal no protection and are doing great...BXP,Yata X S ,BXSXJ, JXS,SXJ,BXS,B paraguayensisX S, the only one showing very light damage was a large 5gal BXP that I had just put in the ground a couple of weeks before the cold hit. The others smaller BXP that have been in the ground for more than a year are showing no damage.

Regards,

Paul

You and I had discussed in an earlier thread that sooner or later there would be a cold test. I'm sorry it had to be this winter, but you guys are supplying some very valueable information. I think you guys have just about every hardy palm under the sun and great collections. This thread should be required reading for anyone that lives in a chalangable climate. Thanks again for your reports.

Dick

Paul Gallop