IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Texas Damage report

iamjv

A couple of weeks back we had the first hard freeze in several years. The temperature was below freezing for about 14 consecutive hours with an ultimate low of 21.9F in portions of the garden (23F near the house). The following is an initial damage report covering hybrid and standard palms that withstood the freeze.

Hybrids:

Butia C. x Jubaea – no damage
Butia C. x Syagrus – no damage
Butia C. x Parajubaea – no damage
Phx Reclinata x Canariensis – no damage
Phx Canariensis x Rupicola – no damage
Phx Roebelenii x Canariensis – 50% leaf burn
Livistona Chinesis x Saribus – no damage
Livistona Saribus x Decepiens – no damage
Sabal (unknown variety*) – 10% leaf burn

* This sabal palm has s. minor characteristics in appearance but clearly isn’t a minor as it sustains damage with cold temperatures (previously damaged (50% burn) at 17F).

Standards:

Livistona Saribus – 10% leaf burn
Phoenix Roebelenii – 50% leaf burn
Raphis Excelsa – 70% leaf burn
Cycad Revoluta – 20% leaf burn (no damage if near home or over head trees)

A few surprises:

Zamia Furfuracea (cardboard palm) – no damage - near house with overhead trees protection
Dioon Spinulosum – no damage - near house with overhead trees protection
Cycas Circinalis (queen sago) – no damage - near house with overhead trees protection

Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

A couple of weeks back we had the first hard freeze in several years. The temperature was below freezing for about 14 consecutive hours with an ultimate low of 21.9F in portions of the garden (23F near the house). The following is an initial damage report covering hybrid and standard palms that withstood the freeze.

Jv

Bummer, damage sucks, but it looks like you faired pretty well. Hopefully that's the last of it for the year.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I hope you're right Matt but I fear we might be in for a dozy this year.... we truly are overdue for a damaging freeze. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I got down to 22F, I had zero damage to my Syagrus R. Also no damage to my Satsuma mandarins. Strangely, a couple years ago, the queen palm had damage at 25F, when it was much smaller...seems they get hardier and more rubust with age.

My roeb's are plumb colored now, but the old leaf bases underneath still have green.

The CIDP's/Sabals had 0 damage

All seedlings including b.armata, CIDP, Sabals 0 damage

All the good stuff h.vershaffellti, a.myo, c.macro came in for the winter

JV,

Sorry to hear about damage this early in the year! I have heard that this winter will be a doozy, but let's keep our fingers crossed! We are expecting 38f this monday/Tuesday morning!!! Pretty early for Central Florida. January and Febuary are our coldest months.

What is the forecasted low for you w/ this cold blast???

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

JV

Wow. I didn't realize SA got that cold. My low has also been 21.9 but that is normal here. We missed out on the big snow storm moving up the coast...just a lot of rain. My yard is like a mush pit right now. It is only in the 30s today...that is typical for late Jan. not Dec. Big jub has a roof over his head to keep him dry.

We will be back down in Tx in the Spring. Not sure how far west we're going though.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

JV,

Sorry to hear about damage this early in the year! I have heard that this winter will be a doozy, but let's keep our fingers crossed! We are expecting 38f this monday/Tuesday morning!!! Pretty early for Central Florida. January and Febuary are our coldest months.

What is the forecasted low for you w/ this cold blast???

We have no freezes projected in the forecast. It is supposed to be around 70F mid week this week, before cooling off around Christmas. The 22-23 we saw this year was the coldest we have seen in almost a decade.

so much for global warming......

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Yeah I was a bit surprised with the damage I received as well.... in the full sunshine today I could even see some minor damage to my pure Wash Robusta. Saw a lot of damage to sago's, queens and roebs throughout the neighborhood when I drove it today. In some of the lower parts of the neighborhood (live in a hilly area), I imagine the temps dropped as low as 18 or so. Here's hoping this was our one cold shot for the winter.

Cindy when you can take some shots of the yard and keep us updated on your winter.

Thanks. Jv

JV, sorry to hear you got some damage, it sux if it's only on one plant out of many, but your list showed some great successes....I was a little surprised at the L. saribus getting by with only 10% goobers..is it the green petiole form?

Hope this is the worst of it for you!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Hey Rusty, yeah a bit of a hit for so early in the winter season. As for the saribus, it is the green form! This is the first time that it's shown any damage but then again it's the coldest its seen.

In addition it seems I spoke to soon on that queen sago.... placed it in the sunlight today and noticed some of the fronds are now showing damage. I do think it'll clearly survive but it'll be a shame if the fronds discolor for the remainder of the winter.

Jv

Upon closer in inspection, I had some light damage to the queen palm 10-15 % or so, and some spotting to the W. Robustas. No damage to the Filiferas or Canary Island date palm.

OUCH!

Sorry to hear, and I know we are the Whine Country Here in Cali . . .

DON'T cut off any dead stuff till spring comes; it'll protect what's still alive, and if things get as bad as I know they can, your palms will need all the help they can get.

We're rootin' fer ya! (Prayin', too!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

your freeze is identiical to what I recorded last year: a 14 hoursd freeze, low of 21.6

This is where you see the variability in queen palms. I have some from the same batch 3 gal size planted next to eachother, 1 palm froze out 100% and died, the other had maybe 20% burn and no spear pull.

I had maybe 5% damage oif any to my Livistona saribus. chinese fans suffered a little more in the 10-20% range.

Surprised to seed Cycas revoluta with damage, these are variable also, smaller ones are more tender. usually takes teens for these to show any damage.

keep us updated, enjoy the reports as our climate is similar.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Hey Luke, I too was surprised by the damage to the sago's.... the ones that were here previously when it went down to 17F, didn't get hurt but they are all either next to the house or under a trees canopy. However, a large 'rescue' sago that is out in the open sustained fair damage. At first I thought maybe it was just that one particular plant but then saw others in the neighborhood that also had taken on damage. Must have been something about the freeze that caused this... probably the duration. Oddly enough, when it was coated with nearly an inch of ice for 24 hours (a couple of yrs ago), it didn't sustain any damage.... go figure. Jv

JV,

At those temperatures, I am very surprised your Phoenix Roebelenii didn't bite the dust. I'd watch them very closely.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

JV, I'm glad everything made it okay for you. my Mule up here is Dallas-Fort Worth did great, i have had no signs of damage to any of the fronds. This is it's first winter in the ground and i've been worried about it adjusting. I have not used any protection to the palm so far. I agree JV i think this winters going to be a rough one. Snow in November, this is unheard of this early in the season.

Best of luck

Yeah Keith I'll keep an eye on them but mine look a lot better then the ones down the road that are 100% crispy.

Mallett_sj, good to here about your mule doing well up there in Big D! I think they are going to prove very hardy for our area. Up load some pics when you can, would like to see your hybrids. Jv

Let me add Copernicia Alba to the list, it had 40% leaf burn. Jv

Sorry to hear about the damage! Hope this is the worst of it, but being in an el Nino it may not be. It is supposed to be wetter this year at least!

All my palms here are covered up, with the exception of my Brahea, Serenoas, Butias, and my Nannorhops. I am going to uncover the Butia x Syagrus hybrid tomorrow and spray it with Freeze proof. This particular palm grew phenomenally this summer but I am going to wait for it to get a little bigger before exposing it to colder temps.

BTW, both my Queen palm and my two Butias flowered for the first time this summer. (!) See my FB page for a picture of my Queen palm under wraps.

Odessa, TX  Z8a

NE edge Chihuahuan Desert

Alt 2800 ft

El Jardin de Quixote

The coldest we got this season in my part of Central city Dallas was 24°F and I'm posting pix of my observations.

It is not uncommon in Dallas for the first late frost to be the coldest temperature of the winter. Not so good on plants that have recently gone through a week of 70°F. We all know about absolute minimum and duration of the cold on amount of plant damage, but as JV noted other factors play into the picture and many times in the low 20°F I've had mixed results on certain tender plants. In the past two decades frosts have come much later than average in the fall, winter minimums have been very mild and the last frost in spring has been much earlier.

The next few days are going to be in the mid 60°fs in North Central Texas. I'm going to enjoy them while I can.

100APPLEIMG_0071.jpg

L. saribus no damage after 24°F

100APPLEIMG_0082.jpg

C. microspadix no damage

100APPLEIMG_0073.jpg

C. humilis and justicia brandigeana no damage

100APPLEIMG_0072.jpg

Bauhinia forficata leaves fried, but it is stem hardy. S. uresana background un damaged.

100APPLEIMG_0074.jpg

B. amata no damage

100APPLEIMG_0075.jpg

B. moorei no damage

100APPLEIMG_0076.jpg

Sago palm no damage

100APPLEIMG_0077.jpg

T. princeps no damage

100APPLEIMG_0078.jpg

T. latisectus no damage

I do have a canopy of 3 very large live oaks.

100APPLEIMG_0086.jpg

C.humilis cerifera

100APPLEIMG_0085.jpg

JubutiaXsyagrus hybrid first winter in ground

100APPLEIMG_0084.jpg

Miho satsuma no damage

100APPLEIMG_0083.jpg

Miho satsuma with grafting of variegated calomondin. Recent flush of growth of calomondin fried. Older calomondin growth not damaged.

Nice visuals...

I must tell one thing that in your continent you have freeze damage,right at that same season we are having excess rains in winters with root rot damage happening to palms here in south india. :angry:

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice shots Tony.... good to hear you didn't sustain to much damage. I totally agree with your point of this being such an early hard freeze and that playing into some of the damage I am seeing. Went by a local Taco Cabana near my house and all of the queens are 70% burnt... the damage is rather extensive. Jv

Jv, You never know. This could be one of those winters where Tx. gets hit early and then warms up while the rest of us freeze.

What you look for is what is looking

JV,

At those temperatures, I am very surprised your Phoenix Roebelenii didn't bite the dust. I'd watch them very closely.

Had a similarly harsh cold event in Temecula here in 2007. . .of all the pygmies in my yard, only maybe 10% of them croaked - and this was many months after after succumbing to fungus/rot due to weakened state. All the ones that died though were smaller trunks - the older larger ones barely skipped a beat and regrow a full crown in just one season. They are kinda fragile to foliage damage, but it seems like they are very hearty as far as growth point.

Hope my phx roeb's pull through just the same Kevin....

The damage continues to surprise me... today with the right angle of sunlight, I also noticed 10% damage on both Phoenix Canarensis and Theophrastii. It seems as though the damage might have even been worse on the Theophrastii if it wasn't for the large oak next to it, that seem to protect one side of the palm. Additionally the previous mention of 'no damage' to Phx Canariensis x Rupicola needs to be corrected with it now showing about 20% leaf burn.

Washingtonia robusta is also showing additional damage.

Lastly two other palms worth mentioning that didn't receive any damage - Sabal Causarium (1 gal) and Phoenix Iberica.

Jv

Hope my phx roeb's pull through just the same Kevin....

The damage continues to surprise me... today with the right angle of sunlight, I also noticed 10% damage on both Phoenix Canarensis and Theophrastii. It seems as though the damage might have even been worse on the Theophrastii if it wasn't for the large oak next to it, that seem to protect one side of the palm. Additionally the previous mention of 'no damage' to Phx Canariensis x Rupicola needs to be corrected with it now showing about 20% leaf burn.

Washingtonia robusta is also showing additional damage.

Lastly two other palms worth mentioning that didn't receive any damage - Sabal Causarium (1 gal) and Phoenix Iberica.

Jv

I had no damage to my P Canariensis. Not one spot.

Thank you Texas guys for the cold damage reports. Keep them coming in, but keep in mind sometimes the damage doesn't show for several weeks. My lows on Dec 7 & 8 showed 27F, but I think it got down to 24 or 25 in unprotected places. My indicator plants such as Lantana are burned to a crisp. This will be the 1st winter in the ground for my Syagrus X Bujubaea and Bujubaea X Syagrus. Both were coated with heavy frost on the 7th and 8th and no damage. With Jubaea in them, I expect they will take it down into the teens. Actually none of my palms are showing any damage...yet.

Dick

Richard Douglas

As Dick mentioned, some of the damage shows up later on. Thus far, the damage remains the same as previously stated.

Do have an additional good news story to add though.... had a potted Parajubaea Torallyi (that previously had lost it's spear) which was in a corner of the yard; & as it turns out, it doesn't seem to show any damage on the existing fronds from the hard freeze we experienced. A promising sign for this palm and any hybrids of it, for those of us that experience occasional hard frosts! Jv

Hello

Maybe you have to wait till spring to see the real damages, mainly on cycads, I show you my revoluta under the snow and in a cold spell of 2 days when we experienced in N. Italy down to 20 F(-7 C) and all day under 32F, as it's tipical here in winter

4196187907_2cbf0f2301_o.jpg

under some protection many plant had no damage up to' now, this is my report

All potted plants with no damage:

With Protection from snow and wind: 

livistona lanuginosa e decora, 2 yo

parajubaea t. Microcarpa 

syagrus litoralis

butia paraguayensis e buti x jubaea

sabal uresana

macrozamia miquelii and communis

enchephal. Princeps, trispinosus, and lehemanii 

chamadorea radicalis and microspadix

Butiagrus

phoenix dactilifera 

Nannorrhops var kashmir

brahea super silver (some burn)

dioon califanoi

washingtonia filifera

cycas panzihuaensis

Ok under the snow

serenoa

sabal palmetto

sabal xtexensis

brahea Clara  

trachycarpus princeps 

Agave Montana , ovatifolia and parryi

Dead 

rhopalostylis sapida oceana

cycas petrea

Aloe many 

best

Federico

Edited by fdrc65

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Federico, thanks for your input and photo... yes I am afraid there may be more damage to come later in the spring. We still need to get through this winter first as it has just started and it's already colder then any of the winters in the last ten years! I wish you luck with your fine collection of palms. Merry Christmas! Jv

Fredrico,

Did your Cycas petrea come through other cold winters ok? What seemed to be the temperature it couldn't handle?

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Hell froze over!!!

Translation....

North Texas had a White Christmas!!

Here are some pix.

Strong blizzard winds last night.

The absolute low temp was 27°F

As terrible as these temps looks, North Texas every year gets a frozen preicpatation event.

The species I've planted all come through, more or less undamaged, unprotected.

One advice is to keep the snow off the fronds, if it doesn't melt off the first day. The longer the snow stays on the foliage the greater the damage to the leaf. The air temps may be above freezing but the part of the leaf covered with snow will remain below freezing for a longer time and result in pitting.

Tonysgarden2009003-4.jpg

C.mirospadix

Tonysgarden2009002-3.jpg

B.armata D. edule

Tonysgarden2009004-4.jpg

B.moorei

Tonysgarden2009007-9.jpg

Edited by TonyDFW

Hi all,

Well yesterday was a unusual day, we went from mid 70's (wedneday) to 4 inchs of snow and a low of 27 degrees with winds up to 30mph making it feel like 14 degrees at its lowestm Only in Texas!!!!. I saw that you guys got hit pretty bad also Tony. from what i saw last night watching the weather it looked like Fort worth got it a little worse. I was going to take a couple of pictures for you JV earlier on the status of my Butiagrus, but i went ahead and waited for this event to blow over, as you can see from the pictures the snow is already starting to melt, these pics were taken at 10am.

In regards to the palms as of right now i don' see any damage but we will see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

post-3108-1261760890_thumb.jpg